Total Posts:73|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The GOP, and Alt Right

YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
The Alt Right is something I'm very much aware of, namely because I follow the activities of such notable alt-right figures as Milo Yiannopoulis, and others, and because we've got a few people who would fall into that category of conservatism on the site. I've also subscribed to the /r/The_Donald subreddit for a while now, and while at first it didn't seem entirely bad, there are themes which are impossible to ignore that I think are worth mentioning to people who, maybe, don't see them for themselves.

When your politics become a vacuous feedback loop, you've got a real problem. I'm writing mostly about my experience with /r/The_Donald and some other pro-Trump sites I've been keeping track of, and the most overarching theme of everything I've seen from them is unwavering, godlike awe and submission to this man. If you ask a Trump supporter who frequents the internet, they'll tell you that they're just being 'naughty' or subversive or whatever, but their actions aren't consistent with that level of distance.

If you look at what Trump supporters actually do, it's really clear that the majority of them are blindly and uncritically following him at best, or actively denying anything that should give them pause, at worse. For example, when Trump totally reversed his position on illegal immigration, they claimed--with no signs of cognitive dissonance in any sense--that what he did was entirely consistent. To believe that "Deport them all, raid their houses and send them back to Mexico!" is consistent with "work with the law abiding ones and let them earn legal status" requires the kind of anti-intellectual mental blackout that you'd more reasonably expect from Bolsheviks under Stalin in the USSR. Trump has literally taken, now, lightweight low energy Jeb Bush's position, which he severely castigated Bush for, mere months ago. Did he think that America would forget? It's on video!

Another example is Russia and Putin. First, Trump's position was to go hard against Russia and punish them for what they're doing in Crimea and Ukraine, and that the Obama administration hasn't gone far enough to get Russia in line. Then, Manafort comes in and Trump 100% reverses positions, and starts talking about how the Obama administration's punitive measures went too far. Now, Manafort has been fired and Trump's back to some middle ground that's more or less rhetorically parallel to what the Obama administration is doing right now. Trump's supporters maintain that he is being 100% consistent through all of this, and that any effort to portray him as inconsistent is a scam by the media who are so incredibly corrupt.

So, here's the deal.... if you look at history, there is one species of leader that does sh!t like this: despots. The whole narrative of "the Truth is now, always was, and is forever whatever I say it is at a given point in time" works with Kim Jong Un, it worked with Hitler and Stalin and Mao, and it worked with the organization Winston worked for in 1984. But it does not work in the United States... until now. Why is it working now? I have no idea... maybe people in America are just that stupid, and indeed, maybe they were always this stupid but the institutional powers that ensured a stable political transition were sufficiently in control of themselves to prevent idiocy like this from happening. Yet, the Republicans fvcked that up for everyone, starting with Barry Goldwater in 1964.

"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in defense of moderation is no virtue." That has been the direct thru-line from Goldwater, to Reagan, to Cruz to Trump. The Bush's moderated it, and have been if anything a force of reason in the Republican party and other powerful families like the Romney's have too... but it requires virtually no challenge to see how Goldwater laid the foundation for what very well may be the most anti-Intellectual species of Republicanism, or, indeed, American political activism, in our country's very brief history.

The outright denials by Trump supporters are, at this point, more than I can tolerate. I just don't understand how they do it. How can you support someone who says "Deport them all!" one day and then "Let them earn legal status." the next. No one on earth, including Trump himself, knows where he stands on anything because he has been on every side of every issue. One day he's for women's right to health care and the next he's saying that there should be "some form of punishment" for women who seek abortions. Then, Trump goes on CNN and BLAMES THE MEDIA for making him look like he's talking out of both sides of his mouth, despite the fact that he literally said. It's astonishing.

The fact that Trump supporters refer to him as their "god-emperor" is horrifying itself enough, but the fact that they seem to accept anything that comes out f his mouth--despite the evidence--as if it came from God himself is terrifying. The entire predicate assumption of democratic society's functioning is that the society itself has the capacity to understand events in the world as they happen, but here, in this case, there is a raving madman whose political ideology begins and ends in chaos leading the Republican party, and THE PARTY HAS GOTTEN BEHIND HIM. And of course they did... because what was their alternative? Antichrist Ted Cruz?

The GOP, then, has totally lost it's mind. There is no sanity left; on the one hand, you have tea bagging lunatics worshiping Ted Cruz as their messiah, and on the other there are alt-right worshiping their "god-emperor" with such force of loyalty that he can lie directly to them and they believe every single thing he says for no reason other than that he has said it. Oh, and David Duke has made a comeback into US politics, white nationalism is in the rise, and the Republican party has an official platform that is closer, socially, to Islamic Fundamentalism than American pluralism.

What the literal fvck? Why on earth does the GOP do this in response to Obama's presidency? The economy is recovering. Jobs are coming back. Violence is at an all-time low. Terrorism is being managed. Even though there are temporary setbacks, America is decidedly getting back on track... and that's the truth. But, to hear the story from Trump's mouth, you'd think there was outright warfare going on in the streets between illegal aliens, the Chinese, Muslim, gays, blacks, and everyone else... while, at the same time, it would just be so nice if we "got along with Russia" despite the fact that they are the only country on earth with both the means and an unshakable (read: nothing we could possibly do will change this) desire to frustrate every single thing we do as a country. It's unfathomable, and that doesn't even touch on Turmp's actively questioning why "we don't use nuclear weapons" or threats to dissolve NATO.

There has never been a more incompetent, reckless, dangerous, or unstable candidate to run for office than Donald Trump, yet he runs around shouting about how profoundly stupid and inane everyone else is. If I was a Republican.... well, I wouldn't be a Republican. I couldn't be a Republican in this mess. I'd leave the party, burn my membership card, and vote for Hillary Clinton despite full knowledge of who and what she is.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 2:52:46 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
There are, honestly, dark, dangerous, and terrifying things happening with the GOP right now. I really believe that Clinton will win, but the fact that we have come even this close to a Trump presidency is a harbinger for the future of our democracy. I would like to think that in four years or eight years or in however many years into the future this country makes it, that we will learn from these mistakes.

I don't think we will learn from any of this, however. I think that the right will become increasingly more and more driven by identity politics--which is, itself, a progressive, anti-American species of political ideology--and that, for example, more sane iterations of conservatism (like Libertarianism) will be killed off before they even have a chance.

I knew from the start that Trump would win the primary, because I knew Trump and I knew where the country was. What I didn't know is how far gone the country already was, or how they would be so easily manipulated into voting for the only presidential candidate in our history whose outstandingly idiotic policies would with certainty irreparably harm America's place in the world.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 2:53:55 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 2:50:46 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll pick unstable over corrupt elitism any day.

To believe the idea that Trump is not corrupt, at this point, is to indulge in pure fantasy.

He is in bed with the Russians, and that is abundantly clear.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:08:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
The Right's anti-intellectualism is something that I've known about for a long time. Whether it's the complete idiots who believed that the Reagan tax cuts stimulated economic growth, and, therefore, to make the economy better in any sense the only way to do that is to cut taxes for the rich; or whether it's the fire-breathing tea baggers who herald Glenn Beck as a scholar of American history. They're just different sides of an ideological cancer that has been killing American politics from the inside out since (and very much in response to) the Civil Rights movement.

We all know, well, those of us who know anything about Republican political history, that the fire-breathing Republicanism we all know to be the norm, now, was not always the norm. We know that this brand of Republicanism didn't exist until Lyndon Johnson made the Democratic party more than just the Working Man's party.... but the party that gave the Blacks the right to vote, and the right to live in relative equality before the law. We know that, but we're polite enough not to bring it up at the dinner table because it's offensive. But it's been so many years since then, that the real core of that political reality has been swept under the rug by establishment neocons like Bill Krystol, and his compatriots.

We all also knew that there were people on the Left called progressives whose "identity politics" made a cottage industry out of falsely accusing many Republicans like Krystol of being racists, or whatever, because of the fact that Nixon brought with him--after LBJ--the "southern strategy" (i.e. the political and electoral progeny of white nationalism cum George Wallace). We knew the charge was bullsh!t, because Krystol is not a racist, but we also knew that there really were racists--like the straight up pro-Klan types--on the Republican party because they all left the Democratic party and went right (call it "right flight?") after LBJ.

We furthermore knew that that "demographic problem" made a mess of the GOP. The moderates, formerly known as Rockefellar Republicans, were out. Neocons were in. Racist Southern Strategy types were on the fringe, and driving policy from the edges of the mainstream, but there was always a "middle ground" where people were "persuadable" to move the goalpost closer and closer and closer to that fringe. It's delusional... but gradually, the "Overton Window" (catch the Glenn Beck reference? Yes, I have read his sh!t, and it was sh!t as you would expect) has been moved, and now it's been moved so far that the party is so close to the edge it is threatening American civil society and national security.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:09:58 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Do I like where we are? No. I hate it. I hate the fact that I have to vote for Hillary Clinton out of literal (not figurative) fear of what happens if the other side gets elected. I don't like Clinton, and I am not so ideologically naive as to think that any vote for a third party matters. Maybe someday a third party will build enough momentum that they are a viable candidate, but Gary Johnson is a total joke and anyone with a functioning brain in their head knows it. To vote for him is as good as a vote for Trump.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:14:12 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I'm still not throwing 100% support behind Clinton for what happened during the primaries. I never will, and I hope someone runs against her in 2020.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:16:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:15:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM, YYW wrote:

What made you loose support for Trump?

The thread makes that pretty clear.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:18:38 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Remind me to respond to this in full depth later...

But it seems here that YYW has only cherry-picked certain examples of Trump flip-flopping. I see no issue in changing positions here and there, and Clinton is just as guilty of flip-flopping as Trump.
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:26:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:15:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM, YYW wrote:

What made you loose support for Trump?

oh my god read the thread
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:27:08 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:18:38 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
Remind me to respond to this in full depth later...

But it seems here that YYW has only cherry-picked certain examples of Trump flip-flopping. I see no issue in changing positions here and there, and Clinton is just as guilty of flip-flopping as Trump.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. The kind of mindless stupidity of blind submission to anything Trump says, and rejection outright of anyone who questions anything he says.
Tsar of DDO
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:27:22 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:15:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM, YYW wrote:

What made you loose support for Trump?

He appointed mike pence as his vp

Yyw is gay

Connect the dots
Im not a Nazi
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:27:38 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:14:12 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I'm still not throwing 100% support behind Clinton for what happened during the primaries. I never will, and I hope someone runs against her in 2020.

I could never support Clinton. To vote for her is to vote against Trump.
Tsar of DDO
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:29:09 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:27:08 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:18:38 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
Remind me to respond to this in full depth later...

But it seems here that YYW has only cherry-picked certain examples of Trump flip-flopping. I see no issue in changing positions here and there, and Clinton is just as guilty of flip-flopping as Trump.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. The kind of mindless stupidity of blind submission to anything Trump says, and rejection outright of anyone who questions anything he says.

You're using examples of the worst of Trump supporters. Most of us don't blindly submit to anything he says.

I personally have disagreements with him ideologically and I don't agree with everything he says. Though he will get the job done and will crush the establishment, which is the exact reason why I would vote for him if I were eligible to vote.
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:30:10 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
The entire notion of the "alt right" is illusory, though. There is no "alt right." There's just a bunch of kids on the internet who want to fight the power but don't have a clue how to do it.

I really, really understand not supporting the DNC mainstream. I get it on so many levels, for the same reason that I get wanting to believe the other sh!t that comes out of Trump's mouth when he says some highly accurate things (like talking about how terrible NAFTA is, and how bad the TPP will be for the working classes). But the fact that he's right on some things doesn't mean that he's right on others.

But, in the bigger picture people have to ask themselves whether the guy who wants to dissolve NATO and use preemptive nuclear strikes is the kind of guy you want to be given the power to do that.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:31:11 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:27:22 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:15:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM, YYW wrote:

What made you loose support for Trump?

He appointed mike pence as his vp

Yyw is gay

Connect the dots

When Trump picked Mike Pence, be betrayed everything he stood for. I literally hate Mike Pence, but more significant is what it means that Trump picked Mike Pence.
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:33:44 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 2:53:55 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:50:46 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll pick unstable over corrupt elitism any day.

To believe the idea that Trump is not corrupt, at this point, is to indulge in pure fantasy.

He is in bed with the Russians, and that is abundantly clear.

You say "Russians" like it's a bad thing. Russia is a better influence for us than France. We have the wrong allies.
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:34:32 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:31:11 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:27:22 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:15:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM, YYW wrote:

What made you loose support for Trump?

He appointed mike pence as his vp

Yyw is gay

Connect the dots

When Trump picked Mike Pence, be betrayed everything he stood for. I literally hate Mike Pence, but more significant is what it means that Trump picked Mike Pence.

No its not :3

Its because your gay and he chose mike pence
Im not a Nazi
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:34:36 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:30:10 AM, YYW wrote:
The entire notion of the "alt right" is illusory, though. There is no "alt right." There's just a bunch of kids on the internet who want to fight the power but don't have a clue how to do it.
The alt right is nothing but a bunch of white nationalist trolls on sites such as /pol/ and stormfront. That's really all the alt right is.

I really, really understand not supporting the DNC mainstream. I get it on so many levels, for the same reason that I get wanting to believe the other sh!t that comes out of Trump's mouth when he says some highly accurate things (like talking about how terrible NAFTA is, and how bad the TPP will be for the working classes). But the fact that he's right on some things doesn't mean that he's right on others.
You don't need to agree with a candidate 100%... You need to look at the bigger picture here, not just individual issues.

But, in the bigger picture people have to ask themselves whether the guy who wants to dissolve NATO and use preemptive nuclear strikes is the kind of guy you want to be given the power to do that.
http://www.politifact.com...-/

The media's ability to twist words is beyond amusing.
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:41:23 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:34:32 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:31:11 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:27:22 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:15:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM, YYW wrote:

What made you loose support for Trump?

He appointed mike pence as his vp

Yyw is gay

Connect the dots

When Trump picked Mike Pence, be betrayed everything he stood for. I literally hate Mike Pence, but more significant is what it means that Trump picked Mike Pence.

No its not :3

Its because your gay and he chose mike pence

which ADHD medication are you on?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:41:48 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:33:44 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:53:55 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:50:46 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll pick unstable over corrupt elitism any day.

To believe the idea that Trump is not corrupt, at this point, is to indulge in pure fantasy.

He is in bed with the Russians, and that is abundantly clear.

You say "Russians" like it's a bad thing. Russia is a better influence for us than France. We have the wrong allies.

Do you honestly believe that?
Tsar of DDO
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:43:36 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:41:23 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:34:32 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:31:11 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:27:22 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:15:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM, YYW wrote:

What made you loose support for Trump?

He appointed mike pence as his vp

Yyw is gay

Connect the dots

When Trump picked Mike Pence, be betrayed everything he stood for. I literally hate Mike Pence, but more significant is what it means that Trump picked Mike Pence.

No its not :3

Its because your gay and he chose mike pence

which ADHD medication are you on?

Airmax told me I need to be nice and he is my fuher so I will obey him

But you supported trump until mike pence said you should be allowed to deny gays service. Which you should be able to
Im not a Nazi
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:51:32 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:43:36 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:41:23 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:34:32 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:31:11 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:27:22 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:15:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM, YYW wrote:

What made you loose support for Trump?

He appointed mike pence as his vp

Yyw is gay

Connect the dots

When Trump picked Mike Pence, be betrayed everything he stood for. I literally hate Mike Pence, but more significant is what it means that Trump picked Mike Pence.

No its not :3

Its because your gay and he chose mike pence

which ADHD medication are you on?

Airmax told me I need to be nice and he is my fuher so I will obey him

But you supported trump until mike pence said you should be allowed to deny gays service. Which you should be able to

I'll bet it's strittera. You seem like a problem child.
Tsar of DDO
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:53:56 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:51:32 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:43:36 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:41:23 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:34:32 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:31:11 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:27:22 AM, Capital wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:15:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:45:53 AM, YYW wrote:

What made you loose support for Trump?

He appointed mike pence as his vp

Yyw is gay

Connect the dots

When Trump picked Mike Pence, be betrayed everything he stood for. I literally hate Mike Pence, but more significant is what it means that Trump picked Mike Pence.

No its not :3

Its because your gay and he chose mike pence

which ADHD medication are you on?

Airmax told me I need to be nice and he is my fuher so I will obey him

But you supported trump until mike pence said you should be allowed to deny gays service. Which you should be able to

I'll bet it's strittera. You seem like a problem child.

Ill pop those pills if you give em
Im not a Nazi
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:10:46 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
This thread surprised the s**t out of me.
But in truth, YYW was always a leftist. As such, his love affair with Trump over this past year is what was actually strange, not that he's now rejecting Trump as a candidate in favour of Hillary Clinton. He's simply returning to his core values, I guess.

Trump won the nomination with relative ease being his normal self, by expressing those ideas which he's held to rather consistently since the 1980s. By being the genuine, controversial, populist Trump.
But now every other week it's announced that Hillary has a 10 point lead over him in the polls. For the record, this is the SECOND time this election season since both candidates secured their respective party's nominations that this has happened. He has less and less time to make up for this, and if it happens a third time within a week or two prior to election day, then he's screwed. Furthermore, his strategy of 24/7 media attention through saying controversial stuff which helped him get the nomination doesn't seem to be working anymore.
Trump is most likely in panic mode now, despite what his campaign staff says (if they make it public that he's in panic mode then his campaign will really be screwed, so he has no choice but to continue to act like he's in control of the situation). He is most likely convinced that to beat Hillary he has to take it down a notch and strike a moderate tone so as to convince the GOP base (and perhaps former Bernie supporters who aren't really on board with Clinton) that they wouldn't be voting for a maniac. Hence, now he's talking about NOT deporting all illegals, in total contrast to his past campaign rhetoric. I still think he isn't going to propose blanket amnesty though. In short, Trump is compromising his values because he sees this as being his only viable path to the White House. It's perhaps cowardly, but Trump is a pragmatist above all else.
I honestly don't care if he does or doesn't deport them all. I can live with amnesty, and I can live with mass deportations. But I know that he probably won't be a good president. He isn't going to do anything downright insane, but I think he's going to be a lot like Boris Yeltsin in the 90s. He'll be a fairly bad president, but his public image will be the worst of all. Americans will have a record low confidence in their government, and the international community will have a record low opinion of the United States.
Despite this, I am still going to vote for him in order to maintain the balance. If one party goes too long without winning the White House, it may very well lose the capability of ever doing so again, and then it will lose the capability of maintaining a majority in congress, and eventually the party in question will cease to exist. If the Republicans go at least 16 years without winning the presidency (second term election is practically a guaranteed win for the incumbent), they'll quite possibly cease to be relevant. I don't want to see this happen, regardless of how dissatisfied I and millions of other Republicans are with the party as it exists at present.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:24:58 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 3:41:48 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:33:44 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:53:55 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:50:46 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll pick unstable over corrupt elitism any day.

To believe the idea that Trump is not corrupt, at this point, is to indulge in pure fantasy.

He is in bed with the Russians, and that is abundantly clear.

You say "Russians" like it's a bad thing. Russia is a better influence for us than France. We have the wrong allies.

Do you honestly believe that?

I honestly believe we, as a nation, could learn alot more about survival, cohesion and order from Russia than we will ever learn from emulating France. Besides, they are going to be our only ally against China eventually. Better sooner than later.
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:27:03 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/26/2016 4:24:58 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:41:48 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 3:33:44 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:53:55 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/26/2016 2:50:46 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll pick unstable over corrupt elitism any day.

To believe the idea that Trump is not corrupt, at this point, is to indulge in pure fantasy.

He is in bed with the Russians, and that is abundantly clear.

You say "Russians" like it's a bad thing. Russia is a better influence for us than France. We have the wrong allies.

Do you honestly believe that?

I honestly believe we, as a nation, could learn alot more about survival, cohesion and order from Russia than we will ever learn from emulating France. Besides, they are going to be our only ally against China eventually. Better sooner than later.

Based on that comment I know you've never been to Russia, nor had Russian friends, nor are familiar with how Russian laws or politics work.

There may be some good things to take from Russian literature, but outside of that, Russia is a filthy, miserable decaying country that is wrought with illness, prejudice, and disease.
Tsar of DDO