Jump to topic:

What Is Wrong With A Woman's Body?

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 12:42:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
The burka issue is back again, this time in France where women wearing the "birkini" are being banned on beaches, the reason being that it is an offence against a secular society.
In Australia, Bondi Beach bans the wearing of any restrictive garments in the water as a safety issue.
Should women be allowed to wear birkinis at public beaches?
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 1:03:48 PM
At 8/26/2016 12:42:27 PM, Willows wrote:
Yes. Having government impose a faith-based dress code should offend anyone who embraces basic civil liberties.

Australia and France differ from us in that sense, as they are far more authoritarian than we expect. Australia, for instance, imposes a fine for individuals who refuse to vote. It's a very different mindset.
Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:43:28 PM
Granted the burkini is representative of repressive attitudes towards women but If a women wants to wear one it's her business. You aren't going to integrate her by making society less free and creating unnecessary division. Overbearing secularism inhibiting freedom has to be fought just like overbearing religion.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:10:01 PM
At 8/26/2016 3:43:28 PM, Danimal4NU wrote:
Granted the burkini is representative of repressive attitudes towards women but If a women wants to wear one it's her business. You aren't going to integrate her by making society less free and creating unnecessary division. Overbearing secularism inhibiting freedom has to be fought just like overbearing religion.

Agreed. It is a shame that Islam puts the burden of sexualized male behavior upon the woman rather than expecting men to control themselves. It is no reason to restrict bikini at the beach for any freedom loving person as you mention.

In effect France has banned Muslim women from the beach further isolating and segregating their Muslim populations.
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 5:55:14 PM
At 8/26/2016 4:10:01 PM, slo1 wrote:
In effect France has banned Muslim women from the beach further isolating and segregating their Muslim populations.
A French court has suspended the ban (http://www.reuters.com...).
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 6:01:33 PM
The burka issue is back again, this time in France where women wearing the "birkini" are being banned on beaches, the reason being that it is an offence against a secular society.
In Australia, Bondi Beach bans the wearing of any restrictive garments in the water as a safety issue.

Nope. It's not our job to adapt to oppressive cultures that move to our countries. You want to oppress women by covering them up, move to Pakistan and tell us how great it is.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 6:04:27 PM
At 8/26/2016 1:03:48 PM, NHN wrote:
Yes. Having government impose a faith-based dress code should offend anyone who embraces basic civil liberties.

Australia and France differ from us in that sense, as they are far more authoritarian than we expect. Australia, for instance, imposes a fine for individuals who refuse to vote. It's a very different mindset.

So instead of forcing them to adapt to secular law, we should enable them to stay in a backwards mindset that is in conflict with democracy. To allow such dress is to put a religion over already established secular norms
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 6:13:38 PM
At 8/26/2016 6:04:27 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
So instead of forcing them to adapt to secular law, we should enable them to stay in a backwards mindset that is in conflict with democracy. To allow such dress is to put a religion over already established secular norms
This is how one recognizes an alt-right troll: foreign cultures are presented as "backwards" by definition and government has a right to suppress non-white minorities as it deems fit. Power through authority.

But of course it's colored in "democratic," even quasi-"liberal" lingo.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 6:17:26 PM
At 8/26/2016 6:13:38 PM, NHN wrote:
This is how one recognizes an alt-right troll: foreign cultures are presented as "backwards" by definition and government has a right to suppress non-white minorities as it deems fit. Power through authority.

Islam is not a race. Any religion be it Christian, Buhhdist, Hindu, Islam, other has no right to wear attire that makes you unidentifiable or able to conceal weapons is wrong and a copout to be weak andnot have to face the oppositions trying to impose its will on your society. Conform or get out.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 6:19:17 PM
At 8/26/2016 6:13:38 PM, NHN wrote:

I have no quasi liberal lingo. If Muslims don't like our ways...there's the door. Hit it. If you don't allow smoking in your house, I don't come in and smoke.

NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 6:24:31 PM
At 8/26/2016 6:17:26 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Islam is not a race.
Hardly the case I made. I used the word culture. And the ummah -- the Islamic community of believers -- makes a worldwide culture.

Any religion be it Christian, Buhhdist, Hindu, Islam, other has no right to wear attire that makes you unidentifiable or able to conceal weapons is wrong and a copout to be weak andnot have to face the oppositions trying to impose its will on your society.
Oh, right. The fear of burka terrorism on the beaches. Must have more government to protect the dress code of the non-Christian citizenry. Derrrrp.

Conform or get out.
No. You're the one who needs to understand what it means to be an American. Liberties and all that jazz. Get yourself one of those pocket Constitutions.
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 6:44:06 PM

No thry shouldnt wear it. I dont know why muslim men judt want ti rape anything that has sone skin
Im not a Nazi
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 7:03:16 PM
At 8/26/2016 6:24:31 PM, NHN wrote:
Islam is not a race.
Hardly the case I made. I used the word culture. And the ummah -- the Islamic community of believers -- makes a worldwide culture.

Any religion be it Christian, Buhhdist, Hindu, Islam, other has no right to wear attire that makes you unidentifiable or able to conceal weapons is wrong and a copout to be weak andnot have to face the oppositions trying to impose its will on your society.
Oh, right. The fear of burka terrorism on the beaches. Must have more government to protect the dress code of the non-Christian citizenry. Derrrrp.

Conform or get out.
No. You're the one who needs to understand what it means to be an American. Liberties and all that jazz. Get yourself one of those pocket Constitutions.

Some cultures suck. That's why they keep immigrating. But since they know nothing else, they bring their sucky culture here. We don't want a culture where women are cattle. If you want to be a sexist quit lying and claiming to be a liberal.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 7:06:00 PM
Islam is not a race.

Conform or get out.

Oh please. Tell me what it "means to be an American". Allow culutures congentally hostile to the West to dictate our laws and social norms and accept oppression of women as some kind of mutant liberal who supports feminism unless it's of course a Muslim needing feminism to take her back.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 7:09:02 PM
Islam is not a race.

Conform or get out.

Basically, if it were not a Muslim the behavior is sexist. But if it's a Muslim liberal norms go out the window to comply with a nonsecular culture to fulfill some bs attempt at self righteousness. But we can't defend against racism and sexism if we have to screw multiculturism to do so. That's weak.

NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 7:46:10 PM
At 8/26/2016 7:03:16 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Some cultures suck. That's why they keep immigrating. But since they know nothing else, they bring their sucky culture here. We don't want a culture where women are cattle. If you want to be a sexist quit lying and claiming to be a liberal.
I know who and what you are. And this primal scream of white supremacy, the echo of a small-minded fringe within a fringe, makes one thing abundantly clear:
your impotence.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 8:14:16 PM
At 8/26/2016 7:46:10 PM, NHN wrote:
At 8/26/2016 7:03:16 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
I know who and what you are. And this primal scream of white supremacy, the echo of a small-minded fringe within a fringe, makes one thing abundantly clear:
your impotence.

I'm not white. I do have the common sense to see that only white nations are being asked to become multicultural as all other ethnicities laugh and reject the notion as absurd to defend their present culture.

NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 8:17:00 PM
At 8/26/2016 8:14:16 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
I'm not white.
Har har.

I do have the common sense to see that only white nations are being asked to become multicultural as all other ethnicities laugh and reject the notion as absurd to defend their present culture.
It isn't common sense, it's racist ideology.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 8:21:31 PM
At 8/26/2016 8:17:00 PM, NHN wrote:
I'm not white.
Har har.

Brontoraptor was actually born into a Muslim family. Given this, he probably isn't white, seeing as how very few ethnically white people are Muslim.

I do have the common sense to see that only white nations are being asked to become multicultural as all other ethnicities laugh and reject the notion as absurd to defend their present culture.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 8:24:03 PM
At 8/26/2016 8:21:31 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Brontoraptor was actually born into a Muslim family. Given this, he probably isn't white, seeing as how very few ethnically white people are Muslim.
"Muslim" isn't a race. And Arabs from the Levant -- you know, Syria and Lebanon -- are Caucasians.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 8:42:49 PM
I'm not white.
Har har.

Saudi Arabia isn't allowing in nonMuslims and execute lawbreakers. Do they have that right being a "different culture" or are Western countries the "moral standard"?

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 8:44:59 PM
At 8/26/2016 8:42:49 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
I'm not white.
Har har.

Saudi Arabia isn't allowing in nonMuslims and execute lawbreakers. Do they have that right being a "different culture" or are Western countries the "moral standard"?

Is your mother a Muslim, craptor?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 8:48:58 PM
At 8/26/2016 8:44:59 PM, desmac wrote:
I'm not white.
Har har.

When she was still around.

NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 8:49:07 PM
Move to Saudi Arabia if that's your litmus test for liberty. That is not what America is about, so go find yourself a copy of that pocket Constitution. Start there.

And how about admitting that you're Caucasian, irrespective of which origin this involves? Are you ashamed of your heritage?
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 9:13:19 PM

It actually has been lifted recently due to the backlash, I believe.

I don't really see the point of a ban on them really.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 9:16:40 PM
At 8/26/2016 9:13:19 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

Because swimming with a full garment is hard and dangerous?

foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 9:39:55 PM
At 8/26/2016 9:16:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 8/26/2016 9:13:19 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

Because swimming with a full garment is hard and dangerous?

Depends. Burkinis are pretty similar to scuba diving suits. Celebrities like Nigella Lawson, have actually worn a burkini-like swimwear to the beach on certain occasions, even though she's not a Muslim. She had worn it to protect her pale skin from the sun. Most people only hate the idea of this burkini due to the connotations that we associate to it.

The deputy mayor of Nice has justified the ban on the burkini by insisting it makes people feel "unsafe", not because it's hard or dangerous to swim in.

Full body suits have come a long way. Burkinis, generally, are made out of a thin lightweight material that doesn't absorb water like cloth (and old full body suits) do. This means that they wouldn't cause a person to drown more easily. It's literally made out of the same material a swim shirt is made out of. If it's not made of wool or cotton, I don't see why one should have a problem with it.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 10:15:19 PM

I would have voted against the ban if I were in their parliament, but I could care less if it is banned. Muslims need to assimilate with western culture and not bring oppressive traditions.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 2:44:22 AM
At 8/26/2016 5:55:14 PM, NHN wrote:
At 8/26/2016 4:10:01 PM, slo1 wrote:
A French court has suspended the ban (http://www.reuters.com...).

That is good news. It reminds me that the single most important organization in the US may very well be the ACLU.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 7:32:37 AM
At 8/26/2016 8:48:58 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 8/26/2016 8:44:59 PM, desmac wrote:
I'm not white.
Har har.

When she was still around.

What were her views on modest dress?