Total Posts:74|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Athletes Making Political Statements

RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

2. Kaepernick, who is half black and half white, was given a full ride scholarship at the University of Nevada, along with a $112 million contract with the 49ers for being, what amounts to, a mediocre quarterback. He had one decent season but is now struggling to even win the starting job. So he is a prime example of the exact opposite of oppression.

3. He is making a stand for the oppression of minorities, while being employed (and vastly overpaid, given his recent performance) by an organization whose players are nearly 80 percent minority.

4. While he is certainly within his first-amendment right to not stand for the National Anthem, there are many, many better ways for him to address the supposed problem he presents. How much of that $112 million has he donated to build or contribute to businesses or crime in inner cities? He is involved in a charity, but it does not address this specific issue.

5. Kaepernick was abandoned by his biological mother and father and adopted by white parents...again the exact opposite of being oppressed.

6. He is making a stand for the alleged unwarranted killings of blacks by cops, but he failed to site a specific case or address the fact that blacks are actually NOT killed or disproportionately incarcerated when compared to accurate crime statistics vice the national population.

The list isn't all inclusive, but it basically addresses why he (and most other athletes who take a similar stance) are complete hypocrites when they disrespect the nation because of some oppression, when they are actually benefiting from the lack of oppression. Instead of complaining, or sitting on a bench, perhaps these athletes should actually do something to address the problems they say exist. Build a school, donate to a charity that supports inner city children, speak out against the 70% of black dads who allow their kids to grow up without a dad.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 8:50:43 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I like how he believes he was oppressed when he is doing better than most people his age.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
I_aint_never_lied
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 8:51:25 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

2. Kaepernick, who is half black and half white, was given a full ride scholarship at the University of Nevada, along with a $112 million contract with the 49ers for being, what amounts to, a mediocre quarterback. He had one decent season but is now struggling to even win the starting job. So he is a prime example of the exact opposite of oppression.

3. He is making a stand for the oppression of minorities, while being employed (and vastly overpaid, given his recent performance) by an organization whose players are nearly 80 percent minority.

4. While he is certainly within his first-amendment right to not stand for the National Anthem, there are many, many better ways for him to address the supposed problem he presents. How much of that $112 million has he donated to build or contribute to businesses or crime in inner cities? He is involved in a charity, but it does not address this specific issue.

5. Kaepernick was abandoned by his biological mother and father and adopted by white parents...again the exact opposite of being oppressed.

6. He is making a stand for the alleged unwarranted killings of blacks by cops, but he failed to site a specific case or address the fact that blacks are actually NOT killed or disproportionately incarcerated when compared to accurate crime statistics vice the national population.

The list isn't all inclusive, but it basically addresses why he (and most other athletes who take a similar stance) are complete hypocrites when they disrespect the nation because of some oppression, when they are actually benefiting from the lack of oppression. Instead of complaining, or sitting on a bench, perhaps these athletes should actually do something to address the problems they say exist. Build a school, donate to a charity that supports inner city children, speak out against the 70% of black dads who allow their kids to grow up without a dad.

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,675
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:06:30 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

So you're saying he was justified to show disrespect for the US like that?
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:15:56 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 8:51:25 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

2. Kaepernick, who is half black and half white, was given a full ride scholarship at the University of Nevada, along with a $112 million contract with the 49ers for being, what amounts to, a mediocre quarterback. He had one decent season but is now struggling to even win the starting job. So he is a prime example of the exact opposite of oppression.

3. He is making a stand for the oppression of minorities, while being employed (and vastly overpaid, given his recent performance) by an organization whose players are nearly 80 percent minority.

4. While he is certainly within his first-amendment right to not stand for the National Anthem, there are many, many better ways for him to address the supposed problem he presents. How much of that $112 million has he donated to build or contribute to businesses or crime in inner cities? He is involved in a charity, but it does not address this specific issue.

5. Kaepernick was abandoned by his biological mother and father and adopted by white parents...again the exact opposite of being oppressed.

6. He is making a stand for the alleged unwarranted killings of blacks by cops, but he failed to site a specific case or address the fact that blacks are actually NOT killed or disproportionately incarcerated when compared to accurate crime statistics vice the national population.

The list isn't all inclusive, but it basically addresses why he (and most other athletes who take a similar stance) are complete hypocrites when they disrespect the nation because of some oppression, when they are actually benefiting from the lack of oppression. Instead of complaining, or sitting on a bench, perhaps these athletes should actually do something to address the problems they say exist. Build a school, donate to a charity that supports inner city children, speak out against the 70% of black dads who allow their kids to grow up without a dad.

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

And whites in poverty. But that's none ofmy business..
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
I_aint_never_lied
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:19:20 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:06:30 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

So you're saying he was justified to show disrespect for the US like that?

Did he personally disrespect you?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:23:22 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:06:30 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

So you're saying he was justified to show disrespect for the US like that?

I don"t see anything disrespectful about it, tbh.

I"ve always been mystified at a brand of patriotism that would see something like this as disrespectful.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
I_aint_never_lied
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:24:18 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:15:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 8/28/2016 8:51:25 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

2. Kaepernick, who is half black and half white, was given a full ride scholarship at the University of Nevada, along with a $112 million contract with the 49ers for being, what amounts to, a mediocre quarterback. He had one decent season but is now struggling to even win the starting job. So he is a prime example of the exact opposite of oppression.

3. He is making a stand for the oppression of minorities, while being employed (and vastly overpaid, given his recent performance) by an organization whose players are nearly 80 percent minority.

4. While he is certainly within his first-amendment right to not stand for the National Anthem, there are many, many better ways for him to address the supposed problem he presents. How much of that $112 million has he donated to build or contribute to businesses or crime in inner cities? He is involved in a charity, but it does not address this specific issue.

5. Kaepernick was abandoned by his biological mother and father and adopted by white parents...again the exact opposite of being oppressed.

6. He is making a stand for the alleged unwarranted killings of blacks by cops, but he failed to site a specific case or address the fact that blacks are actually NOT killed or disproportionately incarcerated when compared to accurate crime statistics vice the national population.

The list isn't all inclusive, but it basically addresses why he (and most other athletes who take a similar stance) are complete hypocrites when they disrespect the nation because of some oppression, when they are actually benefiting from the lack of oppression. Instead of complaining, or sitting on a bench, perhaps these athletes should actually do something to address the problems they say exist. Build a school, donate to a charity that supports inner city children, speak out against the 70% of black dads who allow their kids to grow up without a dad.

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

And whites in poverty. But that's none ofmy business..

The police stop blacks and Latinos at rates that are much higher than whites. This is not up for debate. Remember when they had that illegal "Stop and Frisk" policy in NYC? Waaaay more blacks were searched than whites.
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:25:30 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 8:51:25 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

2. Kaepernick, who is half black and half white, was given a full ride scholarship at the University of Nevada, along with a $112 million contract with the 49ers for being, what amounts to, a mediocre quarterback. He had one decent season but is now struggling to even win the starting job. So he is a prime example of the exact opposite of oppression.

3. He is making a stand for the oppression of minorities, while being employed (and vastly overpaid, given his recent performance) by an organization whose players are nearly 80 percent minority.

4. While he is certainly within his first-amendment right to not stand for the National Anthem, there are many, many better ways for him to address the supposed problem he presents. How much of that $112 million has he donated to build or contribute to businesses or crime in inner cities? He is involved in a charity, but it does not address this specific issue.

5. Kaepernick was abandoned by his biological mother and father and adopted by white parents...again the exact opposite of being oppressed.

6. He is making a stand for the alleged unwarranted killings of blacks by cops, but he failed to site a specific case or address the fact that blacks are actually NOT killed or disproportionately incarcerated when compared to accurate crime statistics vice the national population.

The list isn't all inclusive, but it basically addresses why he (and most other athletes who take a similar stance) are complete hypocrites when they disrespect the nation because of some oppression, when they are actually benefiting from the lack of oppression. Instead of complaining, or sitting on a bench, perhaps these athletes should actually do something to address the problems they say exist. Build a school, donate to a charity that supports inner city children, speak out against the 70% of black dads who allow their kids to grow up without a dad.

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

Please provide evidence as to how the government or the criminal justice is oppressive to blacks.
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:26:36 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

Then perhaps provide your own defense or evidence to the contrary or explain why his stance isn't hypocritical.
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:28:12 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:24:18 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:15:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 8/28/2016 8:51:25 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

2. Kaepernick, who is half black and half white, was given a full ride scholarship at the University of Nevada, along with a $112 million contract with the 49ers for being, what amounts to, a mediocre quarterback. He had one decent season but is now struggling to even win the starting job. So he is a prime example of the exact opposite of oppression.

3. He is making a stand for the oppression of minorities, while being employed (and vastly overpaid, given his recent performance) by an organization whose players are nearly 80 percent minority.

4. While he is certainly within his first-amendment right to not stand for the National Anthem, there are many, many better ways for him to address the supposed problem he presents. How much of that $112 million has he donated to build or contribute to businesses or crime in inner cities? He is involved in a charity, but it does not address this specific issue.

5. Kaepernick was abandoned by his biological mother and father and adopted by white parents...again the exact opposite of being oppressed.

6. He is making a stand for the alleged unwarranted killings of blacks by cops, but he failed to site a specific case or address the fact that blacks are actually NOT killed or disproportionately incarcerated when compared to accurate crime statistics vice the national population.

The list isn't all inclusive, but it basically addresses why he (and most other athletes who take a similar stance) are complete hypocrites when they disrespect the nation because of some oppression, when they are actually benefiting from the lack of oppression. Instead of complaining, or sitting on a bench, perhaps these athletes should actually do something to address the problems they say exist. Build a school, donate to a charity that supports inner city children, speak out against the 70% of black dads who allow their kids to grow up without a dad.

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

And whites in poverty. But that's none ofmy business..

The police stop blacks and Latinos at rates that are much higher than whites. This is not up for debate. Remember when they had that illegal "Stop and Frisk" policy in NYC? Waaaay more blacks were searched than whites.

Please explain how either of these are oppressive. And provide your evidence of the statistics you claim. And then you'll also need to explain how sitting down during the National Anthem does anything to address those issues.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,675
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:43:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:23:22 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:06:30 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

So you're saying he was justified to show disrespect for the US like that?

I don"t see anything disrespectful about it, tbh.

I"ve always been mystified at a brand of patriotism that would see something like this as disrespectful.

Refusing to stand for the anthem like that is a disgrace to the country. It shows you have disregard for your country and you don't like living here.

Would you do the same thing if you were in his position because "muh oppression"?
mc9
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:49:52 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:06:30 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

So you're saying he was justified to show disrespect for the US like that?

How does the us deserve to be respected.
mc9
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:52:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:28:12 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:24:18 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:15:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 8/28/2016 8:51:25 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

2. Kaepernick, who is half black and half white, was given a full ride scholarship at the University of Nevada, along with a $112 million contract with the 49ers for being, what amounts to, a mediocre quarterback. He had one decent season but is now struggling to even win the starting job. So he is a prime example of the exact opposite of oppression.

3. He is making a stand for the oppression of minorities, while being employed (and vastly overpaid, given his recent performance) by an organization whose players are nearly 80 percent minority.

4. While he is certainly within his first-amendment right to not stand for the National Anthem, there are many, many better ways for him to address the supposed problem he presents. How much of that $112 million has he donated to build or contribute to businesses or crime in inner cities? He is involved in a charity, but it does not address this specific issue.

5. Kaepernick was abandoned by his biological mother and father and adopted by white parents...again the exact opposite of being oppressed.

6. He is making a stand for the alleged unwarranted killings of blacks by cops, but he failed to site a specific case or address the fact that blacks are actually NOT killed or disproportionately incarcerated when compared to accurate crime statistics vice the national population.

The list isn't all inclusive, but it basically addresses why he (and most other athletes who take a similar stance) are complete hypocrites when they disrespect the nation because of some oppression, when they are actually benefiting from the lack of oppression. Instead of complaining, or sitting on a bench, perhaps these athletes should actually do something to address the problems they say exist. Build a school, donate to a charity that supports inner city children, speak out against the 70% of black dads who allow their kids to grow up without a dad.

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

And whites in poverty. But that's none ofmy business..

The police stop blacks and Latinos at rates that are much higher than whites. This is not up for debate. Remember when they had that illegal "Stop and Frisk" policy in NYC? Waaaay more blacks were searched than whites.

Please explain how either of these are oppressive. And provide your evidence of the statistics you claim. And then you'll also need to explain how sitting down during the National Anthem does anything to address those issues.

It gets people talking, yes he should do more than that but it's a great starting point for his stand, also he might just not want to show respect for a flag he doesn't have respect for.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:53:48 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:43:53 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:23:22 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:06:30 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

So you're saying he was justified to show disrespect for the US like that?

I don"t see anything disrespectful about it, tbh.

I"ve always been mystified at a brand of patriotism that would see something like this as disrespectful.

Refusing to stand for the anthem like that is a disgrace to the country. It shows you have disregard for your country and you don't like living here.


How is it a disgrace? Criticizing your country is the complete opposite of disregarding lol.
It shows you're invesyed at the very least. I'm sure he dislikes some parts and likes some others. Is that unpatriotic?

Would you do the same thing if you were in his position because "muh oppression"?

Sure, I would do it because of the clear inequality.

"Muh oppression"?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 10:02:08 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:24:18 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:15:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 8/28/2016 8:51:25 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

2. Kaepernick, who is half black and half white, was given a full ride scholarship at the University of Nevada, along with a $112 million contract with the 49ers for being, what amounts to, a mediocre quarterback. He had one decent season but is now struggling to even win the starting job. So he is a prime example of the exact opposite of oppression.

3. He is making a stand for the oppression of minorities, while being employed (and vastly overpaid, given his recent performance) by an organization whose players are nearly 80 percent minority.

4. While he is certainly within his first-amendment right to not stand for the National Anthem, there are many, many better ways for him to address the supposed problem he presents. How much of that $112 million has he donated to build or contribute to businesses or crime in inner cities? He is involved in a charity, but it does not address this specific issue.

5. Kaepernick was abandoned by his biological mother and father and adopted by white parents...again the exact opposite of being oppressed.

6. He is making a stand for the alleged unwarranted killings of blacks by cops, but he failed to site a specific case or address the fact that blacks are actually NOT killed or disproportionately incarcerated when compared to accurate crime statistics vice the national population.

The list isn't all inclusive, but it basically addresses why he (and most other athletes who take a similar stance) are complete hypocrites when they disrespect the nation because of some oppression, when they are actually benefiting from the lack of oppression. Instead of complaining, or sitting on a bench, perhaps these athletes should actually do something to address the problems they say exist. Build a school, donate to a charity that supports inner city children, speak out against the 70% of black dads who allow their kids to grow up without a dad.

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

And whites in poverty. But that's none ofmy business..

The police stop blacks and Latinos at rates that are much higher than whites. This is not up for debate. Remember when they had that illegal "Stop and Frisk" policy in NYC? Waaaay more blacks were searched than whites.

Nope. They target poor people and more minorities are poor because liberals keep bringing in Mexicans in droves for slave, I mean cheap labor and telling the blacks they can't do it without them then giving them bribes to whore for votes. Liberal whites keeping minorities in the fields as usual.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 10:04:25 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

He didn't say that HE specifically is oppressed, did he? He could have all the privileges in the world, yet that alone wouldn't mean that on average black people are not oppressed.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 10:30:51 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 10:04:25 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

He didn't say that HE specifically is oppressed, did he? He could have all the privileges in the world, yet that alone wouldn't mean that on average black people are not oppressed.

No, shoot the messenger is the popular trend.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 10:42:19 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 10:04:25 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

He didn't say that HE specifically is oppressed, did he? He could have all the privileges in the world, yet that alone wouldn't mean that on average black people are not oppressed.

Show us an "oppression" and "racism" so powerful that a black man can not achieve the American dream. Apparently Oprah, Johnny Cochran, Michael Jordan, Chris Rock etc had magic powers...Or maybe they just didn't make excuses and decided to overcome. If anyone is feeling oppressed they are welcometo head to Saudi Arabia and tell themthey are a Christian or Atheist. The problem with Liberals is they don't compare the U.S. to real cultures that actually exist in real life. They compare it to Utopia or Eden.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
AlyceTheElectrician
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 10:42:59 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
well, it's his right to protest no matter how much of a fool he makes of himself.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,675
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 11:15:19 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:53:48 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:43:53 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:23:22 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:06:30 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

So you're saying he was justified to show disrespect for the US like that?

I don"t see anything disrespectful about it, tbh.

I"ve always been mystified at a brand of patriotism that would see something like this as disrespectful.

Refusing to stand for the anthem like that is a disgrace to the country. It shows you have disregard for your country and you don't like living here.


How is it a disgrace? Criticizing your country is the complete opposite of disregarding lol.
It shows you're invesyed at the very least. I'm sure he dislikes some parts and likes some others. Is that unpatriotic?

Criticizing the flaws of your country doesn't mean you just disregard standing for the anthem and saying "oh muh oppression."

He's clearly unpatriotic to just renounce the anthem like that, what makes you think he likes parts about the US if he won't stand for the anthem from "muh oppression?

Would you do the same thing if you were in his position because "muh oppression"?

Sure, I would do it because of the clear inequality.

"Muh oppression"?

Then move to Africa or some country where you won't be oppressed. Seriously, did the civil rights movement involve anti american sentiment and flag burning?
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 11:24:14 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
To those saying he is just bringing the "oppression" of minorities to light, please provide this evidence that the US oppresses minorities, especially somehow more than another country.

Keep in mind we have actual laws in place (unlike most other countries) that specifically prohibit the oppression of other people. One of the driving principles of leftism is they want equality of outcomes instead of equality of opportunity.

The main point is that these athletes should actually do something that does some good. Sitting on your butt is just that, sitting on your butt. Get up and do something about it if you think people are oppressed.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 12:11:36 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

http://api.theweek.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
I_aint_never_lied
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 12:21:32 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 9:28:12 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:24:18 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:15:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 8/28/2016 8:51:25 PM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:
At 8/28/2016 7:16:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So Colin Kaepernick is the latest athlete to make a political statement by refusing to stand for the National Anthem at the beginning of an NFL game:

http://www.nfl.com...

His reasoning: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But his stance is of course extremely hypocritical for the following reasons:

1. The United States, while not without issues, is the likely the LEAST oppressive country in the world and certainly offers the MOST opportunity for any group, including "blacks and people of color". Yes the country has a history of oppression (as do nearly all countries), but that is no longer the case, and to claim otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

2. Kaepernick, who is half black and half white, was given a full ride scholarship at the University of Nevada, along with a $112 million contract with the 49ers for being, what amounts to, a mediocre quarterback. He had one decent season but is now struggling to even win the starting job. So he is a prime example of the exact opposite of oppression.

3. He is making a stand for the oppression of minorities, while being employed (and vastly overpaid, given his recent performance) by an organization whose players are nearly 80 percent minority.

4. While he is certainly within his first-amendment right to not stand for the National Anthem, there are many, many better ways for him to address the supposed problem he presents. How much of that $112 million has he donated to build or contribute to businesses or crime in inner cities? He is involved in a charity, but it does not address this specific issue.

5. Kaepernick was abandoned by his biological mother and father and adopted by white parents...again the exact opposite of being oppressed.

6. He is making a stand for the alleged unwarranted killings of blacks by cops, but he failed to site a specific case or address the fact that blacks are actually NOT killed or disproportionately incarcerated when compared to accurate crime statistics vice the national population.

The list isn't all inclusive, but it basically addresses why he (and most other athletes who take a similar stance) are complete hypocrites when they disrespect the nation because of some oppression, when they are actually benefiting from the lack of oppression. Instead of complaining, or sitting on a bench, perhaps these athletes should actually do something to address the problems they say exist. Build a school, donate to a charity that supports inner city children, speak out against the 70% of black dads who allow their kids to grow up without a dad.

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

And whites in poverty. But that's none ofmy business..

The police stop blacks and Latinos at rates that are much higher than whites. This is not up for debate. Remember when they had that illegal "Stop and Frisk" policy in NYC? Waaaay more blacks were searched than whites.

Please explain how either of these are oppressive. And provide your evidence of the statistics you claim. And then you'll also need to explain how sitting down during the National Anthem does anything to address those issues.

Why does this debate have to go the route of elementary explanation? You mean to tell me you cannot deduce how when the Police Force targets a particular Race of people that you do not understand how this is oppressive? You actually want me to explain why?

Anyway if you want some proof then read the link below. I feel strange having to post this because I thought it was already common knowledge that the criminal justice system is unfair to blacks.

https://www.justice.gov...
I_aint_never_lied
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 12:38:38 AM
Posted: 3 months ago

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

And whites in poverty. But that's none ofmy business..

The police stop blacks and Latinos at rates that are much higher than whites. This is not up for debate. Remember when they had that illegal "Stop and Frisk" policy in NYC? Waaaay more blacks were searched than whites.

Nope. They target poor people and more minorities are poor because liberals keep bringing in Mexicans in droves for slave, I mean cheap labor and telling the blacks they can't do it without them then giving them bribes to whore for votes. Liberal whites keeping minorities in the fields as usual.

What do you mean they target "poor people"? When the Police see someone walking down the street and decide to illegally "Stop and Frisk" them, they do not know whether or not if the person is "poor" or "rich". They only see a black face, which to a Police officer is akin to a used car salesman seeing someone walk onto their lot.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:08:05 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/29/2016 12:38:38 AM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

And whites in poverty. But that's none ofmy business..

The police stop blacks and Latinos at rates that are much higher than whites. This is not up for debate. Remember when they had that illegal "Stop and Frisk" policy in NYC? Waaaay more blacks were searched than whites.

Nope. They target poor people and more minorities are poor because liberals keep bringing in Mexicans in droves for slave, I mean cheap labor and telling the blacks they can't do it without them then giving them bribes to whore for votes. Liberal whites keeping minorities in the fields as usual.

What do you mean they target "poor people"? When the Police see someone walking down the street and decide to illegally "Stop and Frisk" them, they do not know whether or not if the person is "poor" or "rich". They only see a black face, which to a Police officer is akin to a used car salesman seeing someone walk onto their lot.

How they dress. They aren't stopping Johnny Cochran.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:16:03 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 11:15:19 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:53:48 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:43:53 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:23:22 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:06:30 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

So you're saying he was justified to show disrespect for the US like that?

I don"t see anything disrespectful about it, tbh.

I"ve always been mystified at a brand of patriotism that would see something like this as disrespectful.

Refusing to stand for the anthem like that is a disgrace to the country. It shows you have disregard for your country and you don't like living here.


How is it a disgrace? Criticizing your country is the complete opposite of disregarding lol.
It shows you're invesyed at the very least. I'm sure he dislikes some parts and likes some others. Is that unpatriotic?

Criticizing the flaws of your country doesn't mean you just disregard standing for the anthem and saying "oh muh oppression."


It can...thats why he did it. Why should one stand for the anthem?

He's clearly unpatriotic to just renounce the anthem like that, what makes you think he likes parts about the US if he won't stand for the anthem from "muh oppression?


Because he's capable of complex thought, like most people. Able to like some aspects and dislike some aspects of the same thing... this isn't difficult to grasp.

Would you do the same thing if you were in his position because "muh oppression"?

Sure, I would do it because of the clear inequality.

"Muh oppression"?

Then move to Africa or some country where you won't be oppressed. Seriously, did the civil rights movement involve anti american sentiment and flag burning?

No? Must black peoples' families have been here longer than most white peoples', why would I move? Why don't YOU move if you don't like it?

Actually, people did accuse the CRM of being unpatriotic all the time (as well as communists). Lol, do you even history, bro? Ever heard of the Olympics and Smith and Carlos in 68? They were also called unpatriotic.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,675
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:29:24 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/29/2016 1:16:03 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/28/2016 11:15:19 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:53:48 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:43:53 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:23:22 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:06:30 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 9:02:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, these reasons are terrible

So you're saying he was justified to show disrespect for the US like that?

I don"t see anything disrespectful about it, tbh.

I"ve always been mystified at a brand of patriotism that would see something like this as disrespectful.

Refusing to stand for the anthem like that is a disgrace to the country. It shows you have disregard for your country and you don't like living here.


How is it a disgrace? Criticizing your country is the complete opposite of disregarding lol.
It shows you're invesyed at the very least. I'm sure he dislikes some parts and likes some others. Is that unpatriotic?

Criticizing the flaws of your country doesn't mean you just disregard standing for the anthem and saying "oh muh oppression."


It can...thats why he did it. Why should one stand for the anthem?

Because it's the song of the nation, and not standing up is an insult to the nation.

He's clearly unpatriotic to just renounce the anthem like that, what makes you think he likes parts about the US if he won't stand for the anthem from "muh oppression?


Because he's capable of complex thought, like most people. Able to like some aspects and dislike some aspects of the same thing... this isn't difficult to grasp.


Would you do the same thing if you were in his position because "muh oppression"?

Sure, I would do it because of the clear inequality.

"Muh oppression"?

Then move to Africa or some country where you won't be oppressed. Seriously, did the civil rights movement involve anti american sentiment and flag burning?

No? Must black peoples' families have been here longer than most white peoples', why would I move? Why don't YOU move if you don't like it?

If you have so much disrespect for America to not stand up for the song of the country, why continue living here? It's a clear sign you don't like it here and you feel "oppressed."

Colin greatly disrespected America to sit down during the anthem and say he won't stand up for a "racist country." How is he a patriot if he shows such a clear sign of disrespect?

Actually, people did accuse the CRM of being unpatriotic all the time (as well as communists). Lol, do you even history, bro? Ever heard of the Olympics and Smith and Carlos in 68? They were also called unpatriotic.

Perhaps, but I don't recall moderate CRM activists heavily disrespecting their own country, they simply fought against racism and considered it to be "un-american." The anti-patriotism from the CRM was pretty much only from the radical black nationalist groups (such as the nation of Islam).
I_aint_never_lied
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:36:18 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/29/2016 1:08:05 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 8/29/2016 12:38:38 AM, I_aint_never_lied wrote:

The NFL is not a government institution. So you cannot equate the money that he gets paid by them as proof that America is not oppressive. The fact of the matter is that the criminal justice system which includes the courts, prisons and Law enforcement is oppressive to blacks.

And whites in poverty. But that's none ofmy business..

The police stop blacks and Latinos at rates that are much higher than whites. This is not up for debate. Remember when they had that illegal "Stop and Frisk" policy in NYC? Waaaay more blacks were searched than whites.

Nope. They target poor people and more minorities are poor because liberals keep bringing in Mexicans in droves for slave, I mean cheap labor and telling the blacks they can't do it without them then giving them bribes to whore for votes. Liberal whites keeping minorities in the fields as usual.

What do you mean they target "poor people"? When the Police see someone walking down the street and decide to illegally "Stop and Frisk" them, they do not know whether or not if the person is "poor" or "rich". They only see a black face, which to a Police officer is akin to a used car salesman seeing someone walk onto their lot.

How they dress. They aren't stopping Johnny Cochran.

How they dress? So rich people wear 3 piece Italian suits when they go to the grocery store for some milk? You may not be aware of this but you just revealed your own personal prejudice and applied it to an entire race of people. You someone have got the image of a "rich" black man in your head, i.e. Johnny Cochran, and any other black person that does not match the picture that you have in your head, must be "poor".

Holy Smokes.