Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Should the U.S move to the metric system?

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 2:29:23 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Is it time we adopt it?

My take on it is that we should officially adopt it, and governmental agencies should start standardizing to the metric system. For the people, I think we should have a dual system for about 5 years, so they can get used to it. (road signs are displayed in both KM and miles). While I don't support completely abandoning Imperial (I think it's more practical for some things). I would like the U.S to move closer to metrication.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 2:32:20 PM
At 8/31/2016 2:29:23 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
Is it time we adopt it?

My take on it is that we should officially adopt it, and governmental agencies should start standardizing to the metric system. For the people, I think we should have a dual system for about 5 years, so they can get used to it. (road signs are displayed in both KM and miles). While I don't support completely abandoning Imperial (I think it's more practical for some things). I would like the U.S to move closer to metrication.

No. The world should switch to the Imperial System.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 2:33:09 PM
At 8/31/2016 2:32:20 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Is it time we adopt it?

I had a feeling you would be the first one to reply lol.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 2:37:11 PM
At 8/31/2016 2:33:09 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 8/31/2016 2:32:20 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Is it time we adopt it?

I had a feeling you would be the first one to reply lol.

http://www.debate.org...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 4:56:49 PM
Is it time we adopt it?

Well... Fun fact. The metric system IS the "official" system of the US. Regardless, while I like SI, its not a debate that I care much about any more. I would prefer my son be fully immersed in the system the other country's of the world use, but the Imperial system has plenty of value.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 5:07:48 PM
At 8/31/2016 4:56:49 PM, TBR wrote:
Is it time we adopt it?

Well... Fun fact. The metric system IS the "official" system of the US. Regardless, while I like SI, its not a debate that I care much about any more. I would prefer my son be fully immersed in the system the other country's of the world use, but the Imperial system has plenty of value.

I just googled it, The U.S and 2 other countries are the only countries that still officially use Imperial. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you meant?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 5:41:32 PM
At 8/31/2016 5:07:48 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
Is it time we adopt it?

I just googled it, The U.S and 2 other countries are the only countries that still officially use Imperial. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you meant?

The history is, the government pushed metric several times, each time being pushed back by businesses. Not to make it overly partisan, but last time around it was Reagan that scuttled it.

So, at issue is forcing private business to adopt a system, vs what is the government using. The US government is actually operating under the SI system. Look to the military, NIST, NASA etc. They are FORCED to use the metric system, private businesses are not.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:29:53 PM
At 8/31/2016 5:41:32 PM, TBR wrote:
At 8/31/2016 5:07:48 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
Is it time we adopt it?

The history is, the government pushed metric several times, each time being pushed back by businesses. Not to make it overly partisan, but last time around it was Reagan that scuttled it.

So, at issue is forcing private business to adopt a system, vs what is the government using. The US government is actually operating under the SI system. Look to the military, NIST, NASA etc. They are FORCED to use the metric system, private businesses are not.

Ah got it.

Personally, would you favor switching and using the metric system, or do you prefer Imperial?