Jump to topic:

What is a trigger warning?

Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 7:36:40 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I didn't want to have to write this, but it's readily apparent that few people here actually understand what a trigger warning is. As someone who suffers from depression, as well as other personal reasons and experiences, I do know what trigger warnings are, and I leave this here to educate those who wish to learn.

Tl;dr, triggers are like PTSD. They are not censorship.

People who think trigger warnings and safe spaces are anti-free speech have zero understanding of what trigger warnings and safe spaces are.

The Univeristy of Chicago claims students should expect to be challenged. It's not about not wanting to be challenged. It's about not wanting to be traumatized. It's not about being bothered or offended by a controversial topic. It's about something that you used to be okay with becoming something that can tear you apart inside and bring you back to a moment when you were not okay. It's like a form of PTSD. People love wrongly equating trigger warnings and being offended. The difference is simple. Being offended means you hear or see something and think: "that's not okay." Being triggered means you hear or see something and think: "I'M not okay."

A trigger warning is nothing more than telling students to mentally prepare themselves for some potentially disturbing material or content. That's it. It's not shutting down the content being taught.

A school stamping out trigger warnings sends the message that people with depression, veterans, survivors of sexual assault, and much more are not welcome. To everyone who has suffered, everyone fighting their own battles, who hear the echoes of abusers, who see the shadows of past scars, who count the days since last self-harm, to everyone who has to whisper "I'm okay," I stand with you. You are more than okay; you are extraordinary.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 7:51:51 PM
What has happened imo is the liberals and liberal media have used this idea to censor free speech, and have twisted the original intent. To your point there is, has and always been warnings of various topics, language, sexual content, graphic violence. Before going to see a speaker learn something about him/her/it whatever as an example.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:45:38 PM
At 8/31/2016 7:36:40 PM, Semiya wrote:
I didn't want to have to write this, but it's readily apparent that few people here actually understand what a trigger warning is. As someone who suffers from depression, as well as other personal reasons and experiences, I do know what trigger warnings are, and I leave this here to educate those who wish to learn.

People who think trigger warnings and safe spaces are anti-free speech have zero understanding of what trigger warnings and safe spaces are.

The Univeristy of Chicago claims students should expect to be challenged. It's not about not wanting to be challenged. It's about not wanting to be traumatized. It's not about being bothered or offended by a controversial topic. It's about something that you used to be okay with becoming something that can tear you apart inside and bring you back to a moment when you were not okay. It's like a form of PTSD. People love wrongly equating trigger warnings and being offended. The difference is simple. Being offended means you hear or see something and think: "that's not okay." Being triggered means you hear or see something and think: "I'M not okay."

A trigger warning is nothing more than telling students to mentally prepare themselves for some potentially disturbing material or content. That's it. It's not shutting down the content being taught.

A school stamping out trigger warnings sends the message that people with depression, veterans, survivors of sexual assault, and much more are not welcome. To everyone who has suffered, everyone fighting their own battles, who hear the echoes of abusers, who see the shadows of past scars, who count the days since last self-harm, to everyone who has to whisper "I'm okay," I stand with you. You are more than okay; you are extraordinary.

It's something that can cause someone to be "triggered", which is the general term for when SJW's to become immensely offended and overreact. Usually a trigger warning is used to also clarify that the SJW will no longer be in a "safe space". A "real trigger warning" is a cautionary statement that is usually necessary to advise readers, watchers, or others that the content soon to be displayed can cause mental and/or emotional harm. You don't necessarily have to be "already traumatized".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:11:16 PM

Everything about this OP is wrong.

lol
Tsar of DDO
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:17:52 PM
At 8/31/2016 9:11:16 PM, YYW wrote:

lol

lol
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:21:12 PM

lol

What's wrong about it?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:21:51 PM

lol

You are the Devil.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:24:34 PM
At 8/31/2016 9:21:12 PM, Burzmali wrote:

What's wrong about it?

Universities are not hospitals, or rehab.
They are training centers, and places to challenge yourself to become better.

College is not for everyone. It's not a "right" to go to college.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 10:03:44 PM
At 8/31/2016 9:24:34 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

What's wrong about it?

None of that has anything to do with the OP. Did you post to the wrong thread by accident?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 10:05:54 PM
At 8/31/2016 10:03:44 PM, Burzmali wrote:

What's wrong about it?

None of that has anything to do with the OP. Did you post to the wrong thread by accident?

Did you read the part about PTSD?
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:42:45 AM
At 8/31/2016 8:45:38 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

It's something that can cause someone to be "triggered", which is the general term for when SJW's to become immensely offended and overreact. Usually a trigger warning is used to also clarify that the SJW will no longer be in a "safe space". A "real trigger warning" is a cautionary statement that is usually necessary to advise readers, watchers, or others that the content soon to be displayed can cause mental and/or emotional harm. You don't necessarily have to be "already traumatized".

Other than your false equivocation between offended and traumatized, you're largely correct. Trigger warnings are not about protecting you from being offended.
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:43:27 AM

lol

Ok
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:44:36 AM

What's wrong about it?

First of all, yes. Education is a human right.
Second of all, colleges do challenge people, and trigger warnings literally do nothing and never have and never will do anything to prevent that.
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:49:09 AM
Since apparently this concept floats over the incredibly thick skulls of some people, I'll state it as bluntly as possible.

Trigger warnings never censor ideas. They only allow people time to mentally prepare themselves so they don't suffer anxiety attacks, vivid flashbacks/hallucinations, nausea, and other side effects from past trauma.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:57:15 AM
At 9/1/2016 1:44:36 AM, Semiya wrote:

What's wrong about it?

Oh boy, where to go with this claim......
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:59:06 AM
At 9/1/2016 1:57:15 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

What's wrong about it?

UNESCO and also basic humanity.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 2:14:41 AM
At 9/1/2016 1:59:06 AM, Semiya wrote:
At 9/1/2016 1:57:15 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

What's wrong about it?

UNESCO and also basic humanity.

I'll let someone else pick up this ball.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 2:31:38 AM
At 8/31/2016 10:05:54 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

What's wrong about it?

What of it?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 2:48:00 AM
At 9/1/2016 2:31:38 AM, Burzmali wrote:

What's wrong about it?

What of it?

Universities were never, and should never be designed to treat or accommodate PTSD freshmen. Rehab should never be the goal of an educational institution.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 3:11:48 AM
At 9/1/2016 2:48:00 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

What's wrong about it?

What of it?

Universities were never, and should never be designed to treat or accommodate PTSD freshmen. Rehab should never be the goal of an educational institution.

Treat? No, and no one is asking for that. But you don't think that universities should accommodate people with illnesses and/or trauma? Seriously? We're talking about a 10-second heads-up when the material might include something that triggers victims of trauma. Why is that so problematic?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 3:20:59 AM
At 9/1/2016 2:48:00 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

What's wrong about it?

What of it?

Trigger warnings have nothing to do with PTSD. They were invented on internet chat forums, and aren't recommended by trauma experts. In fact, some of the most respected experts in the field have held that 'trigger warnings' both hurt people with PTSD by enabling avoidance behaviors, and completely misunderstand the nature of PTSD triggers, which are often very unpredictable and center around things other than the ostensible source of the trauma.

Basically, a bunch of well-meaning but ignorant people on the internet made it up, it spun way out of control, and now uneducated people think that it's part of a legitimate psychiatric treatment regime and the professionals are left holding their heads.

"Labeling a topic or theme is useless because of the way our brains work. The labels that we give trauma (assault, sexual abuse, rape) are not the primary source of triggers. Memories are, and not just memories, but very specific, insidious, and personally individualized details lodged in our brain at the time of the trauma encoded as memory. Details can include faces, places, sounds, smells, tastes, voices, body positions, time of day, or any other sensate qualities that were present during a traumatic incident.

If I see a particular shade of yellow or smell a sickly sweet rum drink, I'm reminded of my head being yanked by someone who held a handful of my hair in his fist. A forest green Plymouth Duster (the car we drove) will too. The word assault does not. The words domestic violence don't either. The specificity of details seared in my mind invokes memory.

Last year a driver slammed into the back of my car on the freeway. The word tailgate is not a trigger. Nor is the word accident. The flash of another car suddenly encroaching in my rearview mirror is. In my mid-20s, I drove my younger sister (sobbing, wrapped in a bed sheet) to the hospital where two male officers explained they were going to pluck her pubic hair for a rape kit. When I see tweezers in a hospital, I flash back to that awful moment. For my sister, other things may be triggers: the moonlight shining on the edge of a knife. The shadow of a person back lit in a doorway. An Hispanic man's accent. If we were going to insist on trigger warnings that work, they would need to look something like this:

Trigger warning: Rompope.

Trigger warning: a woman wrapped in a bed sheet.

Trigger warning: the blade of a knife.

The variability of human perception and traumatic recall makes it impossible to provide the necessary specificity for trigger warnings to be effective. The nature of specificity is, in part, one reason that treatment for traumatic memories involves safely re-engaging with the images that populate the survivor's memory of the event. According to Dr. Mark Beuger, an addiction psychiatrist at Deerfield Behavioral Health of Warren (PA), the goal of PTSD treatment is 'to allow for processing of the traumatic experience without becoming so emotional that processing is impossible.' By creating a coherent narrative of the past event through telling and retelling the story to a clinician, survivors confront their fears and gain mastery over their thoughts and feelings.

According to the National Center for Health, 'Avoidance is a maladaptive control strategy... resulting in maintenance of perceived current threat. In line with this, trauma-focused treatments stress the role of avoidance in the maintenance of PTSD. Prolonged exposure to safe but anxiety-provoking trauma-related stimuli is considered a treatment of choice for PTSD.' Avoidance involves distancing oneself from cues, reminders, or situations that remind one of the event that can result in increased social withdrawal. Trigger warnings increase social withdrawal, which contributes to feelings of isolation. If a survivor who suffers from PTSD has had adequate clinical support, they could engage online with thoughts or ideas that previously had been avoided. The individual is in charge of each word he or she reads. At any time, one may close a book or click a screen shut on the computer. What is safer than that? Conversely, trigger warnings perpetuate avoidance. Because the intrusive memories and thoughts are internal, trigger warnings suggest, 'Wait! Don't go here. I need to protect you from yourself.'

The argument that trigger warnings help to protect those who have suffered trauma is false. Most people who have experienced trauma do not require preemptive protection."
http://www.stirjournal.com...

Best expert opinion I've ever read:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

A good overview:
https://psmag.com...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 3:21:21 AM

Very much on target in sentiment. Unfortunately there are elements on this site that like to fabricate a left wing conspiracy to deny freedom of speech. There of course are quality examples of left wing elements going way beyond reason with the issues they express.

However, believe me when I say the University of Chicago and it's representatives will give trigger warnings.

The school will also protect itself so a person of color does not have the possibility of convincing a jury of a hostile environment when "freedom of speech" starts flying the N word around in class.

The school has the right idea to set expectations of students being in uncomfortable situations and being exposed to controversial topics, but as you point out that has less to do with trigger warnings and safe spaces and more about effective communication for good reasons

It is alarming that people can't understand the intricacies of the issue and buy into the conspiracy.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 3:40:26 AM
At 9/1/2016 3:11:48 AM, Burzmali wrote:

Treat? No, and no one is asking for that. But you don't think that universities should accommodate people with illnesses and/or trauma?

Absolutely not. If a person is mentally unfit for the rigors of college academia, they should get treated, and then reapply.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 3:50:02 AM
At 9/1/2016 3:40:26 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Treat? No, and no one is asking for that. But you don't think that universities should accommodate people with illnesses and/or trauma?

Absolutely not. If a person is mentally unfit for the rigors of college academia, they should get treated, and then reapply.

Who says they are unfit for "the rigors of academia?" This isn't about people who can't handle new or complicated topics. We're talking about people who would prefer not to be blindsided by traumatic imagery. What is wrong with a 10-second heads-up?
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 8:14:55 AM

I suffer from depression as well, and I find this post ridiculous. You NEED TO challenge yourself otherwise you won't ameliorate your state. You can't just shelter yourself from words. Ignoring the problem, won't fix it.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 8:57:36 AM
At 9/1/2016 3:50:02 AM, Burzmali wrote:

Who says they are unfit for "the rigors of academia?" This isn't about people who can't handle new or complicated topics. We're talking about people who would prefer not to be blindsided by traumatic imagery. What is wrong with a 10-second heads-up?

Are you sure you are reading what you type?

If they are being "blindsided" by "traumatic imagery", then they are obviously not ready for college, or the world for that matter.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 12:26:01 PM
At 9/1/2016 8:57:36 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/1/2016 3:50:02 AM, Burzmali wrote:

Are you sure you are reading what you type?

If they are being "blindsided" by "traumatic imagery", then they are obviously not ready for college, or the world for that matter.

You seem to have an odd vision of what college is for GP. Going to gain knowledge to prepare for a career does not mean one wants or has to get into philisophical academic discussions of whether a rape culture exists on college campus.

Most students pay for college and should have full disclaimer of what they are buying. That provider/consumer relationship has to be voluntary on the consumer side rather than being forced to hear and tolerate some academic ivory tower BS to expand their horizons.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 12:43:24 PM
At 9/1/2016 12:26:01 PM, slo1 wrote:

Most students pay for college and should have full disclaimer of what they are buying. That provider/consumer relationship has to be voluntary on the consumer side rather than being forced to hear and tolerate some academic ivory tower BS to expand their horizons.

Colleges don't want to accept students that are mentally unable to matriculate and then be forced to reject others who have no problems with "sensitive" material. That's what the admissions process is for. Every student has access to the university's policies and requirements. That is more than enough of a "disclaimer."
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:09:40 PM
At 9/1/2016 12:43:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Colleges don't want to accept students that are mentally unable to matriculate and then be forced to reject others who have no problems with "sensitive" material. That's what the admissions process is for. Every student has access to the university's policies and requirements. That is more than enough of a "disclaimer."

Colleges don't want to accept alcoholics who show up drunk to class either. So what? College is about preparing for a career that for most of us entails taking rather pedestrian classes which have little controversy in them, lest one thinks econ 101 is offensive.

Liberal arts classes such as Human Sexuality or Women studies ought to have at least a syllabus so conservative and liberal students can determine if the class is a good fit.

Let me put it this way, I'm sure when I went to college in late 80's and early 90's there were many good Catholic boys and girls who relieved when my professor gave warning and an option to receive a different assignment before she went to show us dic and vagina pictures to demonstrate the large variance. Why is that courtesy such a bad evil thing?

A conservative justice warrier would argue against such a class as a waste of time. A sjw may put too much importance on that class and rail against the mysogentist concept of vagina rejuivation surgery. Regardless, let's honor giving students the information and letting them navigate through their own way in life without forcing them to watch dic pics to "toughen" them up.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:15:55 PM
At 9/1/2016 1:09:40 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 9/1/2016 12:43:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Colleges don't want to accept alcoholics who show up drunk to class either. So what? College is about preparing for a career that for most of us entails taking rather pedestrian classes which have little controversy in them, lest one thinks econ 101 is offensive.

Liberal arts classes such as Human Sexuality or Women studies ought to have at least a syllabus so conservative and liberal students can determine if the class is a good fit.

Let me put it this way, I'm sure when I went to college in late 80's and early 90's there were many good Catholic boys and girls who relieved when my professor gave warning and an option to receive a different assignment before she went to show us dic and vagina pictures to demonstrate the large variance. Why is that courtesy such a bad evil thing?

A conservative justice warrior would argue against such a class as a waste of time. A sjw may put too much importance on that class and rail against the mysogentist concept of vagina rejuivation surgery. Regardless, let's honor giving students the information and letting them navigate through their own way in life without forcing them to watch dic pics to "toughen" them up.

My catalog had a description of all the courses, and my advisor told me everything I needed to know. There was always disclosure. I know you know this. Safe spaces and trigger warnings have nothing to do with university disclosure, and everything to do with shutting down the academic process to accommodate people that should never have been admitted into a university to begin with on the grounds of mental unfitness.