Jump to topic:

DEA bans Kratom for no reason

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 4:49:39 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
The DEA, in its latest act of fvckery, has decided to put the drug "kratom" under emergency schedule I classification, which means that nobody can even challenge this, and it cannot be removed for two years.

Chuck Rosenberg said that banning kratom "is necessary to avoid an imminent hazard to the public safety."

What is kratom even used for anyway?

Kratom is a drug that has gained popularity among opiate addicts because of its apparent ability to help addicts get off the drug.

Forbes has decided to slam this the fvck down with an excellent bit of calling the DEA out on their bullsh!t.

As an example of the risks of kratom, the DEA cites a CDC study published this summer that counted 660 poison control calls during a five-year period from 2010 to 2015 on behalf of people suffering untoward reactions to the herb or teas made from the plant material.

The relative magnitude of this "hazard to public safety" has been called into question by kratom users and commenters here at Forbes. To put kratom risks in perspective, poison control centers received 6,843 reports of young children ingesting single-load laundry pods in just the first seven months of 2016.

But fvck it, let's keep people addicted to heroin. Despite many scientists and medical researchers wanting to do full studies of the drug's potential to be one of the greatest things found in the century (it also may help with alcohol dependence, chronic pain, and depression), the DEA has decided to classify it as "highly addictive with no medicinal value". And in their public release, they didn't even address the potential benefits.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 4:53:27 PM
Oh, and they also said that a period of public and scientific comment on the ban before they implement it in hopes better information can come to light among concerns for their lack of consideration for known potential is "unnecessary".

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 3:09:02 AM
Bump

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 12:02:48 PM
The DEA must have made some kind of deal with some drug cartel to make Kratom illegal , and then the cartel can smuggle it in from Mexico.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 1:14:58 PM
I wonder why people have a negative opinion of government agencies and the right wants less of them and smaller government......
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 8:25:00 PM
We are not talking about ANY government agency we are talking about the DEA This group has done more to create crime than anybody else.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 8:31:50 PM
The dea is an agency... Falls under dept homeland security, another amorphous intrusion on our rights.

But I agree it's ridiculous. I once worked with several opiate addicts. Now they didn't use Kratom to ween themselves off but used it to get high.

Just another losing battle in our truly most cost ineffective and expensive war: the long since lost war on drugs.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 2:20:08 AM
At 9/1/2016 4:49:39 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The DEA, in its latest act of fvckery, has decided to put the drug "kratom" under emergency schedule I classification, which means that nobody can even challenge this, and it cannot be removed for two years.

Chuck Rosenberg said that banning kratom "is necessary to avoid an imminent hazard to the public safety."

What is kratom even used for anyway?

Kratom is a drug that has gained popularity among opiate addicts because of its apparent ability to help addicts get off the drug.

Forbes has decided to slam this the fvck down with an excellent bit of calling the DEA out on their bullsh!t.

As an example of the risks of kratom, the DEA cites a CDC study published this summer that counted 660 poison control calls during a five-year period from 2010 to 2015 on behalf of people suffering untoward reactions to the herb or teas made from the plant material.

The relative magnitude of this "hazard to public safety" has been called into question by kratom users and commenters here at Forbes. To put kratom risks in perspective, poison control centers received 6,843 reports of young children ingesting single-load laundry pods in just the first seven months of 2016.

But fvck it, let's keep people addicted to heroin. Despite many scientists and medical researchers wanting to do full studies of the drug's potential to be one of the greatest things found in the century (it also may help with alcohol dependence, chronic pain, and depression), the DEA has decided to classify it as "highly addictive with no medicinal value". And in their public release, they didn't even address the potential benefits.

We have to get out of this war on drugs mentality. Their backwardness also kept marijuana as class one so researchers can't even effectively research the multitudes of possible molecules that could be used for various ailments.

I don't see anything changing should either candidate gain office.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 2:25:30 AM
At 9/2/2016 1:14:58 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
I wonder why people have a negative opinion of government agencies and the right wants less of them and smaller government......

That seems to be an unfair categorization. There are many on the right who advocate the war on drugs. In fact, remove the libertarians from the picture and I would surmise the left have greater percentage of individuals who support reforming drug restrictions and drug related sentencing.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 2:31:17 AM
At 9/7/2016 2:25:30 AM, slo1 wrote:

That seems to be an unfair categorization. There are many on the right who advocate the war on drugs. In fact, remove the libertarians from the picture and I would surmise the left have greater percentage of individuals who support reforming drug restrictions and drug related sentencing.

Party people, yes. There are many 'on the right' that are disgusted by party politics that aren't necessarily libertarians.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:52:12 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Back in the 1960s president Johnson started a war on poverty. His successor Nixon started a war on drugs.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:59:40 PM
Nixon's solution to the drug problem was arrest some of the people who sell illegal drugs and lock them up. These people have become the largest prison population in the world.
There are so many men packed into are prisons we have to parole the guys who were in there for other crimes.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 1:07:18 PM
I'm a firm believer in decriminalization of all drugs and release of all those incarcerated on possession and trafficking-with no gun or violent mitigating circumstances attached.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 3:49:40 PM

Unfair? how so? the right doesn't want smaller government? People don't have a negative opinion of government agencies? Do any have a high favorability? Can't think of one. Never said anything about the left, however history has shown they have and are in favor of more government. The war on drugs was lost before it ever began.
but anyway if it's banned there's always a reason, even if you don't agree with it.
https://www.drugabuse.gov...
"Kratom is not currently an illegal substance and has been easy to order on the Internet in recent years."
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 3:56:59 PM
At 9/7/2016 3:49:40 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Unfair? how so? the right doesn't want smaller government? People don't have a negative opinion of government agencies? Do any have a high favorability? Can't think of one. Never said anything about the left, however history has shown they have and are in favor of more government. The war on drugs was lost before it ever began.
but anyway if it's banned there's always a reason, even if you don't agree with it.
"Kratom is not currently an illegal substance and has been easy to order on the Internet in recent years."

It becomes schedule 1 sept 30 or shortly thereafter. It's easily verified by about 9000 news agencies.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 4:04:50 PM
At 9/7/2016 3:56:59 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

It becomes schedule 1 sept 30 or shortly thereafter. It's easily verified by about 9000 news agencies.

Hence the last sentence, "currently". However it seems it's on a state by state basis, new agencies are rarely reliable.
http://www.americankratom.org...
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 4:42:25 PM
At 9/7/2016 4:04:50 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Hence the last sentence, "currently". However it seems it's on a state by state basis, new agencies are rarely reliable.

True, there's 30 some odd days to get a weak buzz on... At least that's what I've been told. Actually I've been told it was a waste of money. Then again, I have no interest in trying.

That doesn't mean I agree with a ban. Not that I trust the gov but I'd go with the official dea release bs the advocacy group. First story left hand of the page:

https://www.dea.gov...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 5:03:36 PM

Unfair? how so? the right doesn't want smaller government?

We are talking about drug enforcement not generalizations. I can give examples. Trump and party want to significantly increase Dept of Home land security beyond the large increases in last 8 years. Ted Cruz wants to increase Federal resources to enforce Federal marijuana laws. The right is the leader in creating a police state which will keep the war on drugs as an authoritarian effort which grows government.

People don't have a negative opinion of government agencies? Do any have a high favorability? Can't think of one. Never said anything about the left, however history has shown they have and are in favor of more government. The war on drugs was lost before it ever began.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 5:51:37 PM
At 9/7/2016 4:42:25 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

True, there's 30 some odd days to get a weak buzz on... At least that's what I've been told. Actually I've been told it was a waste of money. Then again, I have no interest in trying.

That doesn't mean I agree with a ban. Not that I trust the gov but I'd go with the official dea release bs the advocacy group. First story left hand of the page:

Thanks for the link, WOW that made me laugh "DEA is aware of 15 kratom-related deaths between 2014 and 2016." how many die each year of tobacco, alcohol and legal prescriptions, either o.d. , reaction or just wrong drug, bet it's more than 15. But thank the heavens we've invested resources and money all these years to fix this epidemic lol
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:25:21 PM
At 9/7/2016 5:51:37 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 9/7/2016 4:42:25 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Thanks for the link, WOW that made me laugh "DEA is aware of 15 kratom-related deaths between 2014 and 2016." how many die each year of tobacco, alcohol and legal prescriptions, either o.d. , reaction or just wrong drug, bet it's more than 15. But thank the heavens we've invested resources and money all these years to fix this epidemic lol

I know, right? And of those deaths, how many were allergic to the compound going into anaphactic shock? But the good ole dea... Just another waste of billions. I actually respect dick Nixon... But not for the war on drugs.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 2:42:26 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
If someone is addicted to an opiate the craving can be satisfied by substituting any other opiate. So if you are addicted to heroin and they give you methadone you may find that you have a craving for methadone but you won't be addicted to heroin anymore. If the heroin industry bribed every involved the project, they could get methadone on the schedule as a dangerous and useless drug. After that you wouldn't be able to get methadone any more ,so you would find yourself using heroin.