Jump to topic:

I can't take "religious freedom" seriously

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 11:49:01 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Governor Mike Pence of Indiana signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act into law in 2015. That law has now been cited by a Indiana mother to justify beating her child. Thankfully, an Indiana judge declined to dismiss the charges against her.

The 7-year-old boy had a total of 36 deep purple bruises across his back, on his arm and on his thigh.

He had a loop mark on his ear that, court records say, was from the small hook of a plastic hanger that his mother had used to beat him.

Thaing, 30, has been charged with battery on a person less than 14 years old and neglect of a dependent, both of which are felonies. In August, a judge denied her request to dismiss the charges.

In July, Thaing had asked for the charges to be dismissed. Her reason: Indiana"s religious freedom law protects her from prosecution, she claimed.

Her Christian beliefs were the "guiding values" that influenced her behavior when she punished her son on Feb. 3, according to the motion to dismiss filed by her attorney, Greg Bowes.

It also cited verses from Proverbs 23:13-14: "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol."

https://www.washingtonpost.com...

This is why I cannot take pushes for "saving religious freedom" from the right seriously. While this law, it seems, will fail to protect this certain person - there is no shortage of fundamentalists like this in America who want laws to protect their "right" to hurt children who can't defend themselves.

Corporal punishment, for the most part, is complete bullsh!t. One of the worst things about the religious is their tendency to be more likely to hit their children, which I think is rather abusive. Maybe it's just my own past though, that makes me feel that way, right? No: it's way too widespread to see thighs as isolated incidents. Corporal punishment is just a way to breed hatred, aggression, and trauma: and it should be stamped out: even if a bunch of Christians think their imaginary friend wants them to hit their kids.

https://www.sciencedaily.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 11:51:47 PM
At 9/2/2016 11:49:01 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Governor Mike Pence of Indiana signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act into law in 2015. That law has now been cited by a Indiana mother to justify beating her child. Thankfully, an Indiana judge declined to dismiss the charges against her.

The 7-year-old boy had a total of 36 deep purple bruises across his back, on his arm and on his thigh.

He had a loop mark on his ear that, court records say, was from the small hook of a plastic hanger that his mother had used to beat him.

Thaing, 30, has been charged with battery on a person less than 14 years old and neglect of a dependent, both of which are felonies. In August, a judge denied her request to dismiss the charges.

In July, Thaing had asked for the charges to be dismissed. Her reason: Indiana"s religious freedom law protects her from prosecution, she claimed.

Her Christian beliefs were the "guiding values" that influenced her behavior when she punished her son on Feb. 3, according to the motion to dismiss filed by her attorney, Greg Bowes.

It also cited verses from Proverbs 23:13-14: "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol."

https://www.washingtonpost.com...

This is why I cannot take pushes for "saving religious freedom" from the right seriously. While this law, it seems, will fail to protect this certain person - there is no shortage of fundamentalists like this in America who want laws to protect their "right" to hurt children who can't defend themselves.

Corporal punishment, for the most part, is complete bullsh!t. One of the worst things about the religious is their tendency to be more likely to hit their children, which I think is rather abusive. Maybe it's just my own past though, that makes me feel that way, right? No: it's way too widespread to see thighs as isolated incidents. Corporal punishment is just a way to breed hatred, aggression, and trauma: and it should be stamped out: even if a bunch of Christians think their imaginary friend wants them to hit their kids.

https://www.sciencedaily.com...

The Religious Freedom Laws weren't meant to cover for tramau or violence hence why the Judge declined to dismiss charges

They were meant for religious private business owners to be able to not serve gays which I agree with and everyone should agree with
Im not a Nazi
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 11:53:58 PM
At 9/2/2016 11:51:47 PM, Capital wrote:
They were meant for religious private business owners to be able to not serve gays which I agree with and everyone should agree with

Nobody except the fringe right thinks that's a good idea.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 11:56:13 PM
At 9/2/2016 11:53:58 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Why isn't it a good idea. All the anti discrimination laws should be off the books

Can you tell me why we should have those laws?
Im not a Nazi
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:01:09 AM
I'm not going to play with the low-hanging fruit on DDO here. It's way too serious an issue.

Though, I am interested in what the religious right's intellectual leaders - an arts and crafts company and a fast food chicken company - have to say about this. I'm sure it's be grounded in reason and not insane.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:09:13 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:01:09 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I'm not going to play with the low-hanging fruit on DDO here. It's way too serious an issue.

Though, I am interested in what the religious right's intellectual leaders - an arts and crafts company and a fast food chicken company - have to say about this. I'm sure it's be grounded in reason and not insane.

If you think its low hanging fruit then go for it

The hardest arguments are the ones people pass up because its "low hanging fruit".

Tell me why we need anti discrimination laws in private buisnesses and insitutions
Im not a Nazi
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:11:36 AM

I am neither very religious and definitely not right. But infringements on our rights.... Whether it be guns, religion, or speech are the_bullshit
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:14:34 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:09:13 AM, Capital wrote:

The hardest arguments are the ones people pass up because its "low hanging fruit".

Tell me why we need anti discrimination laws in private buisnesses and insitutions

You're a worthless person who I have no interest in talking to.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:14:59 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:11:36 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

I am neither very religious and definitely not right. But infringements on our rights.... Whether it be guns, religion, or speech are the_bullshit

Because the freedom to beat the sh!t out of 7 year olds is so necessary to protect.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:15:26 AM

If you cant even argue with me, low hanging fruit, then your movement is doomed and it honestly should be. People like you ruin America when you refuse to have a conversation and just want to infringe on my rights without hesitation
Im not a Nazi
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:16:09 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:14:34 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:09:13 AM, Capital wrote:

You're a worthless person who I have no interest in talking to.

Lol okay thank you so much. I have been respectful this whole conversation but yes just throw ad hominens out there
Im not a Nazi
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:18:36 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:14:59 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Because the freedom to beat the sh!t out of 7 year olds is so necessary to protect.

I still don't know why you are equating this with being able to refuse service for religious precepts?

The charges were dismissed lol
Im not a Nazi
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:20:31 AM

That's not what it guarantees and that lady is obviously delusional. That's not what religion teaches either. How PEOPLE choose to justify their action... That's why the judge ruled against her, probably with prejudice (the legal term meaning stiffest penalty)

That's why the courts always rule against the praying your kid to health.

There is the separation clause, however... There is also the free exercise clause which few bother to inform themselves of.
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:23:31 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:20:31 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

That's not what it guarantees and that lady is obviously delusional. That's not what religion teaches either. How PEOPLE choose to justify their action... That's why the judge ruled against her, probably with prejudice (the legal term meaning stiffest penalty)

That's why the courts always rule against the praying your kid to health.

There is the separation clause, however... There is also the free exercise clause which few bother to inform themselves of.

Don't even bother even if you do present arguments he cant argue against hes just going to call you a homophobe

Don't even bother with him hes just a SJW you cant reason with those people
Im not a Nazi
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:41:34 AM

That's not what religion teaches either.

Anyone who thinks that is kidding themselves.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:44:49 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:41:34 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

And anyone who thinks wholly the opposite is jaded, cynical, and projecting their own experience on everyone and everything else.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:46:32 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:44:49 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

And anyone who thinks wholly the opposite is jaded, cynical, and projecting their own experience on everyone and everything else.

I've read a lot of the Bible because I was raised to be strictly Catholic.

And no, I'm not projecting just my own experience. I have friends with similar problems. It's a rather pervasive issue.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:51:44 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:46:32 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

And no, I'm not projecting just my own experience. I have friends with similar problems. It's a rather pervasive issue.

Lol you should have stayed Catholic

Your just talking about personal experiences. I can tell you this from my personal experience children who are raised by atheists or non religious behaviors are usually the ones who get into drugs or are the kids who scramble their brain at parties with special cocktails
Im not a Nazi
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:52:29 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:51:44 AM, Capital wrote:

Your just talking about personal experiences. I can tell you this from my personal experience children who are raised by atheists or non religious behaviors are usually the ones who get into drugs or are the kids who scramble their brain at parties with special cocktails

The scrambled brains are that of the indoctrinated.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:56:18 AM
The Bible on hitting children:

Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.

The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? ...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:57:07 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:52:29 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Who the_fuck do you think is indoctrinated? You sound like one of those ass_hats who says they are a recovering Catholic. Clowns. Stay within your echo chamber. There is another thread about triggers. Maybe is true a..holes may find you and taunt you with stoles, crosses, and the priest that raped you.
Flipping ridiculousness of some people
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:00:05 AM

Just be glad your parents are Christian. My father passed away when I was young but he taught me that Christian values are the best

If he didn't teach me those things before he left I may have gotten in drugs or worse
Im not a Nazi
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:02:20 AM
At 9/3/2016 12:57:07 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

Who the_fuck do you think is indoctrinated? You sound like one of those ass_hats who says they are a recovering Catholic. Clowns. Stay within your echo chamber. There is another thread about triggers. Maybe is true a..holes may find you and taunt you with stoles, crosses, and the priest that raped you.

I see you're a wonderful person.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:03:23 AM
At 9/3/2016 1:00:05 AM, Capital wrote:

Just be glad your parents are Christian. My father passed away when I was young but he taught me that Christian values are the best

If he didn't teach me those things before he left I may have gotten in drugs or worse

Not all atheists use drugs, you blithering imbecile. Even so, religion tends to be a much more numbing drug.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:04:35 AM

He's one of those jaded_fucks that, upon having a change in status, mocks and belittles others instead of taking the high road and allowing others their own path. He's inflammatory so people should throw it right back in his molested face until he learns. And I'm an atheist but these on my side piss me off because they are projecting their bull,hit on others.

Intellectual frauds.
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:04:51 AM
At 9/3/2016 1:03:23 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Not all atheists use drugs, you blithering imbecile. Even so, religion tends to be a much more numbing drug.

At least it taught me to be disciplined. Unlike you whose parents are obv atheists since your just slinging insults left and right
Im not a Nazi
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:12:16 AM
At 9/3/2016 1:02:20 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:57:07 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

I see you're a wonderful person.

Did I make negative comments about entire swaths? No. So go back to nambla and take how you were raised. When you can accept not everyone, not most, not even a sizable population has had the same negative experience as you and you can forgive yourself and treat all humans with kindness and respect, then maybe you'll receive it in return.

It was a priest that convinced my mom to let me strike out on my own... At the age of 12. I'm 43. And I'm sick of people projecting their stuff over huge swaths of humanity. So be nasty? Get treated in a way you haven't experienced. Harderthanyouthink.... Ever fought in a cage? I have. Pretty good too.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:14:28 AM
At 9/2/2016 11:53:58 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

She was a nutcase who deserved to be punished. That's the difference between Christianity and Atheism. We will call ours nutjobs. You will call yours social justice warriors.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:28:16 AM
This thread only serves to make my opinion more pronounced.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:30:37 AM
At 9/3/2016 1:28:16 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
This thread only serves to make my opinion more pronounced.

I'm on your team. Atheist and proud