Jump to topic:

A note to Trump on the subject of Brexit

lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 11:46:07 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
So I've heard Mr Trump has been supporting Brexit (The United Kingdom leaving the EU), and I have a small problem with that. He's been all like, Ah yes, the United Kingdom is getting their rights and stuff back, but there's a problem with him not supporting the EU staying together as a political advantage, as he's running for president of a groups of states, with their own laws and cultures and climates - almost like their own countries - but part of a beneficial relationship with each other which includes no tax when moving items across borders, government laws that all states must have, and a democratic system for deciding and distributing said laws. Sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it? This is either to attract Brexit voters to his 'cause' and/or to make Europe less powerful, or it is just hypocrisy.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 11:50:50 PM
At 9/6/2016 11:46:07 PM, lovesnivy wrote:
So I've heard Mr Trump has been supporting Brexit (The United Kingdom leaving the EU), and I have a small problem with that. He's been all like, Ah yes, the United Kingdom is getting their rights and stuff back, but there's a problem with him not supporting the EU staying together as a political advantage, as he's running for president of a groups of states, with their own laws and cultures and climates - almost like their own countries - but part of a beneficial relationship with each other which includes no tax when moving items across borders, government laws that all states must have, and a democratic system for deciding and distributing said laws. Sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it? This is either to attract Brexit voters to his 'cause' and/or to make Europe less powerful, or it is just hypocrisy.

States have alot more in common than the UK has with, say Greece, (or Syria....)
lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 11:53:36 PM
At 9/6/2016 11:50:50 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

States have alot more in common than the UK has with, say Greece, (or Syria....)

Well yes, but they're a lot closer union. The European Union hasn't been around for as long, and there are still countries that need to catch up to, say, the UK, Germany or France
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 11:54:19 PM
At 9/6/2016 11:53:36 PM, lovesnivy wrote:

Well yes, but they're a lot closer union. The European Union hasn't been around for as long, and there are still countries that need to catch up to, say, the UK, Germany or France

Well, at least the UK was able to leave without bloodshed.
lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 11:57:03 PM
At 9/6/2016 11:54:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

There's gonna be moneyshed though! Seriously, have you seen the pound drop? Terrible.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:00:16 AM
Poor comparison between independently evolved, sovereign states and states that decided to form a single entity 200+ years ago
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:00:45 AM
At 9/6/2016 11:57:03 PM, lovesnivy wrote:

There's gonna be moneyshed though! Seriously, have you seen the pound drop? Terrible.

Ehhh.. markets go up and down, but most people don't really keep track of things like 10 year growth analysis...it's really easy to get fixated on the short term, and those are the ones that tend to lose the most as they tend to go into panic mode and sell every asset.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:06:59 AM

As much as I detest trump's references to the brexit campaign (and basically anything else that spills out of his untutored mouth), I think your argument is disanalogous. An American state is a subnational entity -- it does not enjoy the same rights as a sovereign country.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:07:21 AM

So because he is American he cannot have opinions on Britain? Brexit was one of the most important and smart decisions a European country has made in years.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:12:42 AM
At 9/7/2016 12:06:59 AM, 000ike wrote:

As much as I detest trump's references to the brexit campaign (and basically anything else that spills out of his untutored mouth), I think your argument is disanalogous. An American state is a subnational entity -- it does not enjoy the same rights as a sovereign country.
Good point. But it is pretty hard not to notice the quite large similarities between the two, and doesn't completely nullify my main point that he's basically discouraging unions while running for the leader of one.
lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:13:34 AM
At 9/7/2016 12:00:16 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
Poor comparison between independently evolved, sovereign states and states that decided to form a single entity 200+ years ago

They do have some pretty large similarities though, and Trump's basically discouraging unions while running for the leader of one.
lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:16:34 AM
At 9/7/2016 12:07:21 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

So because he is American he cannot have opinions on Britain? Brexit was one of the most important and smart decisions a European country has made in years.

I wasn't saying he can't have an opinion on Brexit, or British politics. I was just stating why I think his opinion is, to say bluntly, pretty stupid. And it's not a great decision, the pound fell a ton and that whole steel tax isn't going to be put in because it was our government who didn't want it, and stopped Europe getting it. They might actually do a vote for it again and actually enforce it!
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:27:57 AM
At 9/7/2016 12:16:34 AM, lovesnivy wrote:

I wasn't saying he can't have an opinion on Brexit, or British politics. I was just stating why I think his opinion is, to say bluntly, pretty stupid. And it's not a great decision, the pound fell a ton and that whole steel tax isn't going to be put in because it was our government who didn't want it, and stopped Europe getting it. They might actually do a vote for it again and actually enforce it!

So what about the pound or what England decides. We can have our opinions about what other countries decide to do but we must stop thinking our opinion is relevant to what a sovereign country decides is in their best interest.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:28:33 AM
At 9/7/2016 12:16:34 AM, lovesnivy wrote:

Firstly, the pound fell as a reactionary measure by investors that pulled their investments from the British stock market - meaning, the pound would have, and did, as it's been recorded by multiple institutions, rebound.

In fact, not only did the pound rebound, but it rebounded by a far wider margin than it had been previously, and the British stock market is now doing just as well as it had been, if not better. The reason for this is the possibility of trade deals with the 2.2 billion individuals that Britain could not trade with as a result of EU rules and regulations.

So no, it wasn't a poor decision, at least not by those marks. I suggest you delve deeper into it, and that will clear up your confusion.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:40:56 AM
At 9/7/2016 12:13:34 AM, lovesnivy wrote:
At 9/7/2016 12:00:16 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

They do have some pretty large similarities though, and Trump's basically discouraging unions while running for the leader of one.

No, they don't. You are talking about states that were part of an empire that rebelled, formed a single country, and have 200+ years of history vs 30+ sovereign countries with few cultural ties and centuries of inter-sovereign warfare. They created a trading bloc with a single currency... That's about where the similarities end.

I understand your point, I just find the analogy misguided.
Capo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:02:16 AM
So I've heard Mr Trump has been supporting Brexit (The United Kingdom leaving the EU), and I have a small problem with that. He's been all like, Ah yes, the United Kingdom is getting their rights and stuff back, but there's a problem with him not supporting the EU staying together as a political advantage, as he's running for president of a groups of states, with their own laws and cultures and climates - almost like their own countries - but part of a beneficial relationship with each other which includes no tax when moving items across borders, government laws that all states must have, and a democratic system for deciding and distributing said laws. Sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it? This is either to attract Brexit voters to his 'cause' and/or to make Europe less powerful, or it is just hypocrisy. : :

You must not live in the U.S.A. because it's obvious you don't understand the state tax system. Try buy a new car in Nevada where there is no state tax and register it in California where the state tax is around 9%.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:11:36 AM

It hasn't left. It has not even triggered the leaving process which will take at least two years.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:16:40 AM
At 9/7/2016 8:11:36 AM, desmac wrote:

It hasn't left. It has not even triggered the leaving process which will take at least two years.

Are you praying to your God for bloodshed?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:18:16 AM
At 9/7/2016 8:16:40 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Nope, I am just correcting one of your inaccuracies.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:40:18 AM
At 9/7/2016 8:18:16 AM, desmac wrote:

Okay, it was able to start the process of a divorce without the worry of battered nation syndrome.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:56:31 AM
At 9/7/2016 8:40:18 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:18:16 AM, desmac wrote:

Okay, it was able to start the process of a divorce without the worry of battered nation syndrome.

Is there a "battered nation syndrome? Citations?
Aodagain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:29:29 AM
First of all it's obvious that Trump's statement is just a publicity-seeking farrago of nonsense, like most of his statements. Would he support the idea that Alaska should leave the USA? If not then he's just talking rubbish as usual. Second one poster tells us the American States have much more in common with each other than the EU states. Really? The EU states have lived beside each other, invaded each other, occupied each other, fought and laughed with each other for about 2000 years. Most American states didn't even exist 200 years ago, and their territory was occupied by entirely different ethnic groups than those who now occupy them. Has Hawaii got more in common with Massachusetts than France has with Spain? Has Alaska got more in common with Florida than Germany with Holland? I don't think so.
Aodagain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:33:49 AM

No, it was the stupidest piece of self-destruction since Hitler turned to Goebbels and said 'Yuh know, Jo, I reckon we could take on the British and French and their empires, Soviet Russia and the USA all at the same time, and simultaneously wipe out six million of our own population, and STILL win."
Aodagain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:39:33 AM
In fact, not only did the pound rebound, but it rebounded by a far wider margin than it had been previously, and the British stock market is now doing just as well as it had been, if not better. The reason for this is the possibility of trade deals with the 2.2 billion individuals that Britain could not trade with as a result of EU rules and regulations.

Nonsense. At least get your facts straight. The pound was 1.37 Euros when Cameron announced the referendum. It's now 1.19 Euros, in other words a drop of 18 Eurocents, or 13% of its value. So it's pointless talking about the stock market doing well, when the stocks have lost 13% of their value against all other foreign markers, isn't it?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:41:20 AM
At 9/7/2016 9:29:29 AM, Aodagain wrote:
First of all it's obvious that Trump's statement is just a publicity-seeking farrago of nonsense, like most of his statements. Would he support the idea that Alaska should leave the USA? If not then he's just talking rubbish as usual. Second one poster tells us the American States have much more in common with each other than the EU states. Really? The EU states have lived beside each other, invaded each other, occupied each other, fought and laughed with each other for about 2000 years. Most American states didn't even exist 200 years ago, and their territory was occupied by entirely different ethnic groups than those who now occupy them. Has Hawaii got more in common with Massachusetts than France has with Spain? Has Alaska got more in common with Florida than Germany with Holland? I don't think so.

Lol what a bunch of horse radish. There are 24 different languages in the EU. Go get a real definition of "common" and get back to us.
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 11:49:34 AM

Lol no dip

Pound was going to drop obv

They left because od muslim immigration
Im not a Nazi
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 11:55:20 AM
At 9/7/2016 11:49:34 AM, Capital wrote:

Lol no dip

Pound was going to drop obv

They left because od muslim immigration

The United Kingdom has not left the EU and will not for a minimum of two years.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 11:55:26 AM
At 9/7/2016 9:29:29 AM, Aodagain wrote:

Actually they do... The first and most obvious is we speak the same language...

I'm not a trump supporter but I see another silly comparison from a jaded partisan.