Total Posts:53|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Safe Spaces: Let's Just Get It Over With

Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
For the record, here's what a safe space is supposed to be, according to the Safe Spaces Network (http://safespacenetwork.tumblr.com...):
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can relax and be able to fully express, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious affiliation, age, or physical or mental ability.

A place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.


To give a couple of examples, a psychiatrist's office is expected to be a safe space. A group set up for LGBT teens would be expected to be a safe space. An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting is a safe space. So does anyone have a problem with any of those?

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 7:04:43 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.

Who's trying to put a safe space on a football practice field? Also, you don't think that there should be counselors, addiction help, or student support groups at colleges?
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 7:05:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:
For the record, here's what a safe space is supposed to be, according to the Safe Spaces Network (http://safespacenetwork.tumblr.com...):
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can relax and be able to fully express, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious affiliation, age, or physical or mental ability.

A place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.


To give a couple of examples, a psychiatrist's office is expected to be a safe space. A group set up for LGBT teens would be expected to be a safe space. An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting is a safe space. So does anyone have a problem with any of those?

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?

Yale, Halloween 2015. 1 professor resigned 1 took a sabbatical at the universities standing with the students and the professors view expression was stymied. That's just a quick example.

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with your examples as those are private meetings/assemblies for a designed purpose. Where people will disagree is when views/expressions/speakers are forced to cancel or not invited at all to public addresses based on the content of their speech. Not that many will defend her but Ann coulter comes to mind.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 7:07:47 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 7:04:43 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.

Who's trying to put a safe space on a football practice field? Also, you don't think that there should be counselors, addiction help, or student support groups at colleges?

A university's primary function is not rehab. Get your brain fixed, then reapply for admission.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 7:15:58 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:
For the record, here's what a safe space is supposed to be, according to the Safe Spaces Network (http://safespacenetwork.tumblr.com...):
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can relax and be able to fully express, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious affiliation, age, or physical or mental ability.

A place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.


To give a couple of examples, a psychiatrist's office is expected to be a safe space. A group set up for LGBT teens would be expected to be a safe space. An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting is a safe space. So does anyone have a problem with any of those?

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?

I'm sorry but your examples aren't very good, please try again. What if one of the lbgt is an Alcoholic in need of psychiatric help? What if the Alcohol is a racist? The point is freedom of speech means you can talk about anything you wish. Your examples imply that those groups never disagree or talk about anything potentially controversial. The whole issue with this and similar ideas is where do you draw the line? Do you think some, even a small number of lgbt tell homo jokes? How about blacks do they tell black jokes, use the "n" word? Do you think some of their peers would be greatly offended while others would not? So to really have a "safe space" you need to form your own little gang, clique or club and exclude anyone not fitting into your mold, simple as that.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:09:43 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 7:05:34 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:
For the record, here's what a safe space is supposed to be, according to the Safe Spaces Network (http://safespacenetwork.tumblr.com...):
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can relax and be able to fully express, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious affiliation, age, or physical or mental ability.

A place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.


To give a couple of examples, a psychiatrist's office is expected to be a safe space. A group set up for LGBT teens would be expected to be a safe space. An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting is a safe space. So does anyone have a problem with any of those?

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?

Yale, Halloween 2015. 1 professor resigned 1 took a sabbatical at the universities standing with the students and the professors view expression was stymied. That's just a quick example.

Can you provide a link?

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with your examples as those are private meetings/assemblies for a designed purpose. Where people will disagree is when views/expressions/speakers are forced to cancel or not invited at all to public addresses based on the content of their speech. Not that many will defend her but Ann coulter comes to mind.

Can you provide some specific links where people have been prevented from speaking specifically due to safe space provisions?
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:10:45 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 7:07:47 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:04:43 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.

Who's trying to put a safe space on a football practice field? Also, you don't think that there should be counselors, addiction help, or student support groups at colleges?

A university's primary function is not rehab. Get your brain fixed, then reapply for admission.

No one is asking for a university to function primarily as rehab. It would be awesome if you could actually back up your claims with some examples. All you've done in these threads is make baseless assertions.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:11:39 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 7:52:13 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Aa meetings... They are nothing BUT challenges.

And that has what to do with the topic?
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:27:41 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:11:39 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:52:13 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Aa meetings... They are nothing BUT challenges.

And that has what to do with the topic?

Scroll back. One made a contention it's a safe place. It is not.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:35:03 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I did in trigger warnings 2... Oberlin an uc Santa Barbara. I'm not going to keep reposting.

You don't think they aren't stymieing speech, your perogative. I'm not talking about protesting. In these instances professors resigned because of triggers/safe.

And I have no issue with disclaimers. I have issue with people not taking responsibility when they sign up or attend something they have issues with and then expecting speech to by suited for their psyche.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:46:34 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:27:41 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:11:39 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:52:13 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Aa meetings... They are nothing BUT challenges.

And that has what to do with the topic?

Scroll back. One made a contention it's a safe place. It is not.

What part of being challenged disqualifies AA as a safe space? I sure didn't see that in the Safe Space Network's definition.
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:48:05 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 7:05:34 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:
For the record, here's what a safe space is supposed to be, according to the Safe Spaces Network (http://safespacenetwork.tumblr.com...):
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can relax and be able to fully express, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious affiliation, age, or physical or mental ability.

A place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.


To give a couple of examples, a psychiatrist's office is expected to be a safe space. A group set up for LGBT teens would be expected to be a safe space. An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting is a safe space. So does anyone have a problem with any of those?

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?

Yale, Halloween 2015. 1 professor resigned 1 took a sabbatical at the universities standing with the students and the professors view expression was stymied. That's just a quick example.

Great moves, lol.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:53:35 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:35:03 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
I did in trigger warnings 2... Oberlin an uc Santa Barbara. I'm not going to keep reposting.

Neither of those cited safe space provisions. I understand you want to just blindly throw out links, but you should really make sure they actually support what you're trying to say.

You don't think they aren't stymieing speech, your perogative. I'm not talking about protesting. In these instances professors resigned because of triggers/safe.

Maybe because of advice to avoid triggering topics, but certainly not because of trigger warnings or safe space guidelines, as far as I can tell. Your links do not say what you seem to think they say. If you think they do, please provide some quotes.

And I have no issue with disclaimers. I have issue with people not taking responsibility when they sign up or attend something they have issues with and then expecting speech to by suited for their psyche.

That's not happening. This all appears to be a boogeyman, since no one can provide any evidence of a problem that actually comes from trigger warnings and safe space provisions. Rather, we get examples of situations that would have been helped by trigger warnings, or where someone's misconception of what constitutes a safe space creates an issue.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:54:34 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:46:34 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:27:41 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:11:39 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:52:13 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Aa meetings... They are nothing BUT challenges.

And that has what to do with the topic?

Scroll back. One made a contention it's a safe place. It is not.

What part of being challenged disqualifies AA as a safe space? I sure didn't see that in the Safe Space Network's definition.

You obviously are neither an alcoholic nor been to a meeting. A good one. The last thing newbs are is meant to feel comfortable or safe. The brotherhood (not being sexist, it's universally recognized on the inside) is to not allow someone to be comfortable ... To feel love and compassion but not comfort as that's what brings one to the rooms in the first place.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:58:56 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:54:34 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:46:34 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:27:41 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:11:39 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:52:13 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Aa meetings... They are nothing BUT challenges.

And that has what to do with the topic?

Scroll back. One made a contention it's a safe place. It is not.

What part of being challenged disqualifies AA as a safe space? I sure didn't see that in the Safe Space Network's definition.

You obviously are neither an alcoholic nor been to a meeting. A good one. The last thing newbs are is meant to feel comfortable or safe. The brotherhood (not being sexist, it's universally recognized on the inside) is to not allow someone to be comfortable ... To feel love and compassion but not comfort as that's what brings one to the rooms in the first place.

My brother's an alcoholic. He sure doesn't describe meetings that way. Given your past behavior of posting links that don't support your argument, I'm disinclined to believe you over what the internet and a family member have to say about AA.

Regardless, unless you take issue with LGBT support groups and counselors' offices as safe spaces, my point still stands: safe spaces are beneficial and it seems as though no one can articulate a position against them that is supported by any actual evidence.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:14:19 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:58:56 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:54:34 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:46:34 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:27:41 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:11:39 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:52:13 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Aa meetings... They are nothing BUT challenges.

And that has what to do with the topic?

Scroll back. One made a contention it's a safe place. It is not.

What part of being challenged disqualifies AA as a safe space? I sure didn't see that in the Safe Space Network's definition.

You obviously are neither an alcoholic nor been to a meeting. A good one. The last thing newbs are is meant to feel comfortable or safe. The brotherhood (not being sexist, it's universally recognized on the inside) is to not allow someone to be comfortable ... To feel love and compassion but not comfort as that's what brings one to the rooms in the first place.

My brother's an alcoholic. He sure doesn't describe meetings that way. Given your past behavior of posting links that don't support your argument, I'm disinclined to believe you over what the internet and a family member have to say about AA.

Regardless, unless you take issue with LGBT support groups and counselors' offices as safe spaces, my point still stands: safe spaces are beneficial and it seems as though no one can articulate a position against them that is supported by any actual evidence.

Completely different animals. One is client practitioner, the other is a closed support group. Aa one is challenged for all of our bs. Yes, I am a drunk 14 years sober. Does one get unmitigated support? Absolutely. Are they allowed to make excuses? No.

Professors having to change curriculum and syllabi... Well if you don't see it, then there is a gulf that won't be bridged.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:15:58 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:10:45 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:07:47 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:04:43 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.

Who's trying to put a safe space on a football practice field? Also, you don't think that there should be counselors, addiction help, or student support groups at colleges?

A university's primary function is not rehab. Get your brain fixed, then reapply for admission.

No one is asking for a university to function primarily as rehab. It would be awesome if you could actually back up your claims with some examples. All you've done in these threads is make baseless assertions.

Talk about baseless assertions, you bring up the idea that universities should have support groups and counselors, then act all huffy when you are called out on it.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:23:38 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:15:58 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:10:45 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:07:47 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:04:43 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.

Who's trying to put a safe space on a football practice field? Also, you don't think that there should be counselors, addiction help, or student support groups at colleges?

A university's primary function is not rehab. Get your brain fixed, then reapply for admission.

No one is asking for a university to function primarily as rehab. It would be awesome if you could actually back up your claims with some examples. All you've done in these threads is make baseless assertions.

Talk about baseless assertions, you bring up the idea that universities should have support groups and counselors, then act all huffy when you are called out on it.

It's one of those area where dialogue is almost pointless because some view everything as a protest and don't see the changes that have to be made because of others sensibilities, completely exonerating the personal responsibility that we all have to undertake.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:57:17 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:23:38 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:15:58 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:10:45 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:07:47 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:04:43 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.

Who's trying to put a safe space on a football practice field? Also, you don't think that there should be counselors, addiction help, or student support groups at colleges?

A university's primary function is not rehab. Get your brain fixed, then reapply for admission.

No one is asking for a university to function primarily as rehab. It would be awesome if you could actually back up your claims with some examples. All you've done in these threads is make baseless assertions.

Talk about baseless assertions, you bring up the idea that universities should have support groups and counselors, then act all huffy when you are called out on it.

It's one of those area where dialogue is almost pointless because some view everything as a protest and don't see the changes that have to be made because of others sensibilities, completely exonerating the personal responsibility that we all have to undertake.

Also, I have been to AA many times, it depends on who your sponsor is, but the nice sponsors usually fail hard from my experience.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:05:13 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
so in this video it shows what happens to guests who are invited by a college but the sjw don't want them there, even though they didn't have to attend they did just to be disruptive. And yet they weren't escorted out or anything. The push is, to make every place a safe space, which of course is linked to trigger warnings. Even though this person knew who was coming, didn't like them at all, still chose to attend to be disruptive. This is the trend of those who support trigger warnings and safe spaces. Look up other videos and interviews, there's plenty.
https://youtu.be...
slo1
Posts: 4,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:21:42 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 1:05:13 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
so in this video it shows what happens to guests who are invited by a college but the sjw don't want them there, even though they didn't have to attend they did just to be disruptive. And yet they weren't escorted out or anything. The push is, to make every place a safe space, which of course is linked to trigger warnings. Even though this person knew who was coming, didn't like them at all, still chose to attend to be disruptive. This is the trend of those who support trigger warnings and safe spaces. Look up other videos and interviews, there's plenty.
https://youtu.be...

You are confusing protest, heckimg, and social disobedience with safe spaces. It is like this movement against SJW has pushed rhetoric without having any definition or expectations other than SJW's are evil.

It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion because of all the rhetoric.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:32:12 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 1:21:42 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 1:05:13 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
so in this video it shows what happens to guests who are invited by a college but the sjw don't want them there, even though they didn't have to attend they did just to be disruptive. And yet they weren't escorted out or anything. The push is, to make every place a safe space, which of course is linked to trigger warnings. Even though this person knew who was coming, didn't like them at all, still chose to attend to be disruptive. This is the trend of those who support trigger warnings and safe spaces. Look up other videos and interviews, there's plenty.
https://youtu.be...

You are confusing protest, heckimg, and social disobedience with safe spaces. It is like this movement against SJW has pushed rhetoric without having any definition or expectations other than SJW's are evil.

It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion because of all the rhetoric.

it's more than heckling, it's trying to enforce ones will over the masses, why where they heckling? because they where supporters of safe spaces etc. They could have stayed in the safe spaces and away from what the knew would be offensive to them, but they didn't even want them on their campus, like they owned the place. So they infringed on the rights of those who attended because they wanted to be there. Certainly they could have protested outside. Ironically the profanity and hate spewed from that creature who wants trigger warnings and safe spaces is hypocritical at best. I'll state it again, this is the trend of these people to force everyone to comply and accept their way through force.
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:49:40 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:
For the record, here's what a safe space is supposed to be, according to the Safe Spaces Network (http://safespacenetwork.tumblr.com...):
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can relax and be able to fully express, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious affiliation, age, or physical or mental ability.

A place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.


To give a couple of examples, a psychiatrist's office is expected to be a safe space. A group set up for LGBT teens would be expected to be a safe space. An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting is a safe space. So does anyone have a problem with any of those?

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?

Yes this is the actual definition and some of the major examples, but people use the vagueness and abuse it. That's what people are up in arms for, not for a few AA meetings.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:05:02 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:14:19 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:58:56 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:54:34 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:46:34 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:27:41 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:11:39 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:52:13 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Aa meetings... They are nothing BUT challenges.

And that has what to do with the topic?

Scroll back. One made a contention it's a safe place. It is not.

What part of being challenged disqualifies AA as a safe space? I sure didn't see that in the Safe Space Network's definition.

You obviously are neither an alcoholic nor been to a meeting. A good one. The last thing newbs are is meant to feel comfortable or safe. The brotherhood (not being sexist, it's universally recognized on the inside) is to not allow someone to be comfortable ... To feel love and compassion but not comfort as that's what brings one to the rooms in the first place.

My brother's an alcoholic. He sure doesn't describe meetings that way. Given your past behavior of posting links that don't support your argument, I'm disinclined to believe you over what the internet and a family member have to say about AA.

Regardless, unless you take issue with LGBT support groups and counselors' offices as safe spaces, my point still stands: safe spaces are beneficial and it seems as though no one can articulate a position against them that is supported by any actual evidence.

Completely different animals. One is client practitioner, the other is a closed support group. Aa one is challenged for all of our bs. Yes, I am a drunk 14 years sober. Does one get unmitigated support? Absolutely. Are they allowed to make excuses? No.

Again, nothing in the safe space description says you can't be challenged or that you must be able to make excuses. It's as if you don't understand the topic.

Professors having to change curriculum and syllabi... Well if you don't see it, then there is a gulf that won't be bridged.

They were advised to avoid triggering topics. Do you seriously not see how trigger warnings would make it such that they wouldn't have avoid those topics? And, again, you have provided zero evidence that links safe spaces to any of this. I repeat: it's as if you don't understand the topic.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:08:20 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:15:58 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:10:45 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:07:47 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:04:43 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.

Who's trying to put a safe space on a football practice field? Also, you don't think that there should be counselors, addiction help, or student support groups at colleges?

A university's primary function is not rehab. Get your brain fixed, then reapply for admission.

No one is asking for a university to function primarily as rehab. It would be awesome if you could actually back up your claims with some examples. All you've done in these threads is make baseless assertions.

Talk about baseless assertions, you bring up the idea that universities should have support groups and counselors, then act all huffy when you are called out on it.

I can't tell if you're being lazy or don't understand the meaning of the words you use. See above, where you complain that "a university's primary function is not rehab?" I haven't suggested that it is, and neither has anyone else. Are you arguing against a figment of your imagination? If so, please stop addressing your responses to me.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:11:42 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:08:20 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:15:58 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:10:45 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:07:47 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:04:43 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.

Who's trying to put a safe space on a football practice field? Also, you don't think that there should be counselors, addiction help, or student support groups at colleges?

A university's primary function is not rehab. Get your brain fixed, then reapply for admission.

No one is asking for a university to function primarily as rehab. It would be awesome if you could actually back up your claims with some examples. All you've done in these threads is make baseless assertions.

Talk about baseless assertions, you bring up the idea that universities should have support groups and counselors, then act all huffy when you are called out on it.

I can't tell if you're being lazy or don't understand the meaning of the words you use. See above, where you complain that "a university's primary function is not rehab?" I haven't suggested that it is, and neither has anyone else. Are you arguing against a figment of your imagination? If so, please stop addressing your responses to me.

Wow, if you want to be so obvious about being a blowhard, you can just end this here.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:12:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 1:49:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:
For the record, here's what a safe space is supposed to be, according to the Safe Spaces Network (http://safespacenetwork.tumblr.com...):
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can relax and be able to fully express, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious affiliation, age, or physical or mental ability.

A place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.


To give a couple of examples, a psychiatrist's office is expected to be a safe space. A group set up for LGBT teens would be expected to be a safe space. An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting is a safe space. So does anyone have a problem with any of those?

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?

Yes this is the actual definition and some of the major examples, but people use the vagueness and abuse it. That's what people are up in arms for, not for a few AA meetings.

People are up in arms about alleged abuse of the idea of safe spaces, and yet when pressed for examples, we get protests and faculty suggestions. By all accounts, it appears as though the concept of safe spaces has been misunderstood by a few people, and they've whipped up others into a frenzy over a problem that doesn't exist.

Please, your or someone else, show us an actual instance of this supposed problem in action. Provide a link to something where people used safe space guidelines to change course content or get a speaker kicked off campus.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:13:56 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:11:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:08:20 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:15:58 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:10:45 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:07:47 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:04:43 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:00:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:49:54 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Would someone like to provide the argument against safe spaces?
It has no place in a university, or a professional football practice field.

Who's trying to put a safe space on a football practice field? Also, you don't think that there should be counselors, addiction help, or student support groups at colleges?

A university's primary function is not rehab. Get your brain fixed, then reapply for admission.

No one is asking for a university to function primarily as rehab. It would be awesome if you could actually back up your claims with some examples. All you've done in these threads is make baseless assertions.

Talk about baseless assertions, you bring up the idea that universities should have support groups and counselors, then act all huffy when you are called out on it.

I can't tell if you're being lazy or don't understand the meaning of the words you use. See above, where you complain that "a university's primary function is not rehab?" I haven't suggested that it is, and neither has anyone else. Are you arguing against a figment of your imagination? If so, please stop addressing your responses to me.

Wow, if you want to be so obvious about being a blowhard, you can just end this here.

You have contributed nothing of substance to this topic, so I'll just assume that you're incapable.