Jump to topic:

The Contradiction of Right Wing SJWs

Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:28:22 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Why can businesses discriminate in hiring practices, services offered, and products sold, etc, but private universities or groups can't discriminate in inviting/selecting speakers or courses or texts to study, etc?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:29:21 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:28:22 PM, Semiya wrote:
Why can businesses discriminate in hiring practices, services offered, and products sold, etc, but private universities or groups can't discriminate in inviting/selecting speakers or courses or texts to study, etc?

They do.
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:31:38 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:29:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

They do.

And when the latter do, people like you rise up and cry and wail and b!tch about censorship and DEM EVIL LIBURULS HURDUR, but when the former do, people like you cheer and holler and scream PATRIOTISM I LURV MURICA LOLOLOLOL
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:32:48 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:31:38 PM, Semiya wrote:

They do.

And when the latter do, people like you rise up and cry and wail and b!tch about censorship and DEM EVIL LIBURULS HURDUR, but when the former do, people like you cheer and holler and scream PATRIOTISM I LURV MURICA LOLOLOLOL

Universities can do whatever they want. They own it. The students are just guests and clients.
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:33:12 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:32:48 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:31:38 PM, Semiya wrote:

They do.

Universities can do whatever they want. They own it. The students are just guests and clients.

Who have every right to lobby the university.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:39:23 PM
Really there's no difference. Although I'd say as an institution designed to educate and challenge young people, ideas from all over the political spectrum should be embraced. In reality, Unviersities can do what they like, although banning speakers because they don't agree with their ideas doesn't really reflect well on the University, does it?
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:40:15 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:39:23 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
Really there's no difference. Although I'd say as an institution designed to educate and challenge young people, ideas from all over the political spectrum should be embraced. In reality, Unviersities can do what they like, although banning speakers because they don't agree with their ideas doesn't really reflect well on the University, does it?

Nor does discriminating in hiring practices based on gender or sexual orientation, etc. And yet our resident right-wingers only flip out about one of these two situations.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:42:56 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:40:15 PM, Semiya wrote:

Nor does discriminating in hiring practices based on gender or sexual orientation, etc. And yet our resident right-wingers only flip out about one of these two situations.

Can you cite any specific posts? I don't remember them being that hypocritical.

Anyway, I don't see why either should be banned. I've always been a big fan of vote with your wallets for these situations.
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:44:47 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:42:56 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:40:15 PM, Semiya wrote:

Can you cite any specific posts? I don't remember them being that hypocritical.

Every single post where they scream Censorship at trigger warnings, safe spaces, universities not taking on certain speakers, protests against Trump, etc. It's pretty much all over this site.

Anyway, I don't see why either should be banned. I've always been a big fan of vote with your wallets for these situations.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:46:07 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:44:47 PM, Semiya wrote:

Every single post where they scream Censorship at trigger warnings, safe spaces, universities not taking on certain speakers, protests against Trump, etc. It's pretty much all over this site.

Thats the students, not the universities.
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:50:34 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:46:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

And the students have to lobby the Univeristy and get in into Univeristy policy. Which is where it is in most cases. Students are not "imposing" these controls on anyone.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:51:28 PM
Nobody says that they can't. Unis get chided for the reasons they provide for excluding speakers or whomever.

Should be legally allowed to do != should be doing.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:52:53 PM

well to clarify not Art students because Greyparrot said in another post "Fine...an art degree should be a right." lol
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:54:00 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:52:53 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

well to clarify not Art students because Greyparrot said in another post "Fine...an art degree should be a right." lol

Well that was under the assumption that everyone has the ability to get an Art degree...I could be mistaken.
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:55:29 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:51:28 PM, someloser wrote:
Nobody says that they can't. Unis get chided for the reasons they provide for excluding speakers or whomever.

You may not, but plenty of people here are screaming about how universities are violating free speech (lol) and how they shouldn't be able to do any of this.

Should be legally allowed to do != should be doing.

True, businesses should not be allowed to discriminate in hiring or offering services, and yes, they're allowed to. (Nor should universities be allowed to use such censorship).
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:56:57 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:54:00 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:52:53 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Well that was under the assumption that everyone has the ability to get an Art degree...I could be mistaken.

that's true because what is Art after all......much like hate speech, trigger warnings, safe spaces it's all open to interpenetration.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:01:33 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:55:29 PM, Semiya wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:51:28 PM, someloser wrote:

You may not, but plenty of people here are screaming about how universities are violating free speech (lol) and how they shouldn't be able to do any of this.

Where? lol

Almost everything I have read was an offshoot of outrage over the inmates running the asylum.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:27:48 PM

Private can... And do. However, keep this in mind: limiting viewpoints on campus only produces more insular adults. Businesses shoot themselves in the foot by limiting their product
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:31:08 PM

They do.

No only at public universities, state schools.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:33:50 PM
At 9/7/2016 8:50:34 PM, Semiya wrote:

And the students have to lobby the Univeristy and get in into Univeristy policy. Which is where it is in most cases. Students are not "imposing" these controls on anyone.

No they just silence by heckle and protest and universities allow it.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 10:30:14 PM

I have rarely seen anyone say that private universities shouldn't be allowed to discriminate. Most of those problems occur primarily in public universities, which have no right to discriminate because they receive public funding.
I don't have a signature. :-)
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 11:40:05 PM
At 9/7/2016 10:30:14 PM, Bob13 wrote:

I have rarely seen anyone say that private universities shouldn't be allowed to discriminate. Most of those problems occur primarily in public universities, which have no right to discriminate because they receive public funding.

No one here has.,. Private is private. They can do what they like although they aren't doing students any favors
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 6:01:22 PM

Except they don't.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 9:00:24 PM
At 9/8/2016 6:01:22 PM, Semiya wrote:

Except they don't.

You're joking, right?
I don't have a signature. :-)
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 9:33:01 PM
Why can businesses discriminate in hiring practices, services offered, and products sold, etc,

Please provide examples of such discrimination.

Private universities can (and do) discriminate all they want. You're also claiming that conservatives cry about discrimination and first amendment rights. They aren't necessarily the same thing. And it's not necessarily discrimination that we whine about, it's the stifling of ideas other than those that might be deemed "popular" or "politically incorrect" at the institution.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 10:18:54 PM
At 9/8/2016 9:33:01 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Why can businesses discriminate in hiring practices, services offered, and products sold, etc,

Private universities can (and do) discriminate all they want. You're also claiming that conservatives cry about discrimination and first amendment rights. They aren't necessarily the same thing. And it's not necessarily discrimination that we whine about, it's the stifling of ideas other than those that might be deemed "popular" or "politically incorrect" at the institution.

I'm sure they'll bust out the gay cake. Lol
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 11:15:18 PM

You're kidding, right? They're literally everywhere.

Any conservative who says trigger warnings need to be banned - aka everyone on this site like bball, YYW, Greyparrot, vortex, Kevin - is guilty of this double standard.
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 12:35:27 AM

Well again those universities have a right to discriminate just like private businesses. Doesnt mean students cant complain about it
Im not a Nazi
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 2:19:39 AM
At 9/8/2016 11:15:18 PM, Semiya wrote:

You're kidding, right? They're literally everywhere.

Any conservative who says trigger warnings need to be banned - aka everyone on this site like bball, YYW, Greyparrot, vortex, Kevin - is guilty of this double standard.

I wasn't included. I'm hurt. I'm triggered. I need a safe place.