Jump to topic:

Why do you support Hillary Clinton?

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:27:32 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
This is an honest inquiry. I know there are plenty of people who legitimately support Hillary Clinton. My question is, why? The further I look into it, the more I see incriminating evidence of her corruption, dishonesty, and fickle politics. If your reason is "she's not Trump," that's fine, I'd like to hear it. But, I'm sure there are other reasons (or at least I would hope there is) people support her. I can't find any logical reason why anyone would support her, so I'd like to hear it straight from those who do.

"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 7:50:51 AM
Simply, I agree with her positions more than I agree with Trump's positions. A Republican in office is not exactly something I look forward to.

Trump is probably as dishonest as she is.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
zaarbuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:21:34 AM
At 9/14/2016 7:50:51 AM, tejretics wrote:
Simply, I agree with her positions more than I agree with Trump's positions. A Republican in office is not exactly something I look forward to.

Probably but if you don't want a Republican in office why vote for Clinton? She is one.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:24:45 AM
At 9/14/2016 8:21:34 AM, zaarbuc wrote:
Probably but if you don't want a Republican in office why vote for Clinton? She is one.

She is not a member of the Republican Party. I have no bother for semantics beyond that.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:26:21 AM
At 9/14/2016 2:27:32 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
This is an honest inquiry. I know there are plenty of people who legitimately support Hillary Clinton. My question is, why? The further I look into it, the more I see incriminating evidence of her corruption, dishonesty, and fickle politics. If your reason is "she's not Trump," that's fine, I'd like to hear it. But, I'm sure there are other reasons (or at least I would hope there is) people support her. I can't find any logical reason why anyone would support her, so I'd like to hear it straight from those who do.

Do you mean support as in hold her up when she collapses?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:55:41 AM

Because she can't hold herself up without support?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:45:45 PM
At 9/14/2016 10:55:41 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Because she can't hold herself up without support?

Well, of course. But why would you want to hold her up?
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:47:35 PM

Okay, that's a fair comparison.

Sure, he most likely is. But her criminal activity is out in the open... how can you support that? Is it simply on the basis of what you said above? I think your reasoning is justifiable because of who she is running against. Were she running against someone a little better, I think it wouldn't be reason enough to prefer a documented criminal.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:51:50 PM
At 9/14/2016 2:47:35 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Sure, he most likely is. But her criminal activity is out in the open... how can you support that? Is it simply on the basis of what you said above? I think your reasoning is justifiable because of who she is running against. Were she running against someone a little better, I think it wouldn't be reason enough to prefer a documented criminal.

My reluctant support for Hillary Clinton has little to do with Trump. Quite simply, I would never choose a Republican conservative over Hillary Clinton unless something new came to light.

I dislike Clinton, but there is no evidence for her criminal activity.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:52:11 PM
At 9/14/2016 8:26:21 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Do you mean support as in hold her up when she collapses?

It seems like that's all it is.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:58:00 PM
At 9/14/2016 2:51:50 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 9/14/2016 2:47:35 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

My reluctant support for Hillary Clinton has little to do with Trump. Quite simply, I would never choose a Republican conservative over Hillary Clinton unless something new came to light.

That makes sense. In the same way, my support for Trump has little to do with Hillary Clinton besides my interpretation of the "lesser of two evils." I would never choose a Democratic liberal over Trump unless something new came to light. I guess it just boils down to what political ideology we assign necessary for the president. And you don't live in the US, do you?

I dislike Clinton, but there is no evidence for her criminal activity.

Do you think the email scandal is sufficient evidence for criminal activity?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:00:47 PM
At 9/14/2016 2:58:00 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

No.

By the way, the reason I dislike Clinton has nothing to do with these scandals. It has more to do with what she did when she was Secretary of State.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:02:27 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:00:47 PM, tejretics wrote:

No.

Interesting.

By the way, the reason I dislike Clinton has nothing to do with these scandals. It has more to do with what she did when she was Secretary of State.

Benghazi? Or just how she handled the office?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:03:38 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:02:27 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

No.

Interesting.

It was irresponsible, but not criminal.

I just said "nothing to do with these scandals." That already answers your question.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:07:15 PM
I will let you know that there are people with logical reasons to support Clinton.

Multiple economists support her for having the best economic policies -- I disagree with them, but my point being you can judge a presidential candidate by their policies too.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:08:11 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:03:38 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 9/14/2016 3:02:27 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

No.

Interesting.

It was irresponsible, but not criminal.

I just said "nothing to do with these scandals." That already answers your question.

Okay, sorry.
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:10:08 PM
P. J. O'Rourke, who supported Rand Paul in the primaries, defined his support for Clinton a while back:

"I am endorsing Hillary, and all her lies and all her empty promises [...] It's the second-worst thing that can happen to this country, but she's way behind in second place. She's wrong about absolutely everything, but she's wrong within normal parameters."
http://www.npr.org...

For Trump it is just a question of how much his campaigners can twist reality to fit the narrative. The closest thing to a Trump presidency may actually be what Peter Thiel hinted at recently (https://www.washingtonpost.com...), which is big government on steroids and antithetical to the nativist Southern Strategy (10th Amendment included).

That schizophrenia -- "negotiability" -- is what drives the Trump campaign to focus on conspiracy instead of policy.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:11:25 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:07:15 PM, tejretics wrote:
I will let you know that there are people with logical reasons to support Clinton.

Multiple economists support her for having the best economic policies -- I disagree with them, but my point being you can judge a presidential candidate by their policies too.

Yeah, I've seen that, and I also disagree.

I wasn't saying you can't or shouldn't judge a presidential candidate by their policies, sorry if it sounded like that. I'm only saying scandals and such should have at least some weight in a voters' decision. Bill Clinton was impeached in part for perjury, and if the indications of a candidate point to something possibly like that, voters should be wary.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:14:10 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:11:25 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

What would your economic policy platform look like if you ran for president?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:14:20 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:10:08 PM, NHN wrote:
P. J. O'Rourke, who supported Rand Paul in the primaries, defined his support for Clinton a while back:

"I am endorsing Hillary, and all her lies and all her empty promises [...] It's the second-worst thing that can happen to this country, but she's way behind in second place. She's wrong about absolutely everything, but she's wrong within normal parameters."
http://www.npr.org...

For Trump it is just a question of how much his campaigners can twist reality to fit the narrative. The closest thing to a Trump presidency may actually be what Peter Thiel hinted at recently (https://www.washingtonpost.com...), which is big government on steroids and antithetical to the nativist Southern Strategy (10th Amendment included).

That schizophrenia -- "negotiability" -- is what drives the Trump campaign to focus on conspiracy instead of policy.

That makes sense.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:23:13 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:14:10 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 9/14/2016 3:11:25 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

What would your economic policy platform look like if you ran for president?

I don't know... there's a lot to consider.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:27:38 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:23:13 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

What do you want to see in a presidential candidate?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:35:07 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:27:38 PM, tejretics wrote:

Someone with a political ideology similar to mine, who will be tough on immigration, support free market economics, and conservative on social issues..
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:36:05 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:35:07 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Someone with a political ideology similar to mine, who will be tough on immigration, support free market economics, and conservative on social issues..

Specific, please? Like, what specific policies do you want implemented, changed or abolished?
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:59:51 PM

I like to hear why many of my fellow progressives are voting for her instead of someone like Jill Stein, and I always here a few arguments.
a. We can't afford to have Trump in the white house (or some variation of this)
b. Jill Stein has no chance (which is kind of ridiculous given candidates have a chance when you vote for them)
c. Its time for a woman president (because Jill Stein isn't a woman?)
d. Bernie endorsed her (because the movement is all about the man after all, oh wait, it's not)
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:01:57 PM

So why vote for either of them. Jill Stein and Gary Johnson both exist and are on the ballot in enough states to win the electoral college.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:07:06 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:36:05 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 9/14/2016 3:35:07 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Specific, please? Like, what specific policies do you want implemented, changed or abolished?

A flat tax, no significant raise of the minimum wage, drug-testing requirements for welfare recipients, removal of death penalty, military and public spending cuts, removal of affirmative action programs, etc.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:12:35 PM
At 9/14/2016 3:59:51 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

I like to hear why many of my fellow progressives are voting for her instead of someone like Jill Stein, and I always here a few arguments.
a. We can't afford to have Trump in the white house (or some variation of this)
b. Jill Stein has no chance (which is kind of ridiculous given candidates have a chance when you vote for them)

Not enough people WILL vote for her. The US is too strongly entrenched in the two-party system. She does in fact have NO chance.

c. Its time for a woman president (because Jill Stein isn't a woman?)
d. Bernie endorsed her (because the movement is all about the man after all, oh wait, it's not)
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:14:32 PM
At 9/14/2016 4:01:57 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

So why vote for either of them. Jill Stein and Gary Johnson both exist and are on the ballot in enough states to win the electoral college.

But they won't. Especially in this election. People vote for who they know when they're uninformed (which is a lot of people, hence our 55% voter turnout), and everyone knows Hillary and Trump. They won't bother looking past those two names.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:18:55 PM
At 9/14/2016 4:01:57 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Jill Stein has some weird views, e.g. vaccines.

I disagree with Gary Johnson on the majority of issues, and he has surprisingly low knowledge of multiple issues.

Also, neither of them has a chance. Because not enough people will vote for them.