Jump to topic:

More Refugees

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:52:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
The White House plans on increasing refugees admitted to the United States to over 100,000. "The Obama administration is pressing ahead with plans to boost the number of refugees it will allow into the U.S. as a national debate rages over immigration and security. The increase to 110,000 represents a nearly 30 percent increase over the current fiscal year. It is also a more than 57 percent jump since 2015 "and is consistent with our belief that all countries should do more to help the world's most vulnerable people," a State Department official told NBC News." In the last fiscal year, the U.S. took in 85,000 refugees and 10,000 of those were Syrians. The Syrians were almost all Sunni Muslims, according to federal Refugee Processing Center statistics.

What do you think about this? Is this a good move and/or do you think it will affect the election in any way?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:52:49 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com...

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 3:02:08 AM
At 9/15/2016 2:14:37 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Why hasn't this thread erupted into a flame war yet?

Because people don't like it when the thread poster is objective.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 3:03:07 AM
At 9/15/2016 3:02:08 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

this.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 3:04:03 AM
At 9/15/2016 3:03:07 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

this.

There's truth to it. A guy told me a while ago in the polls that me being so unbiased made him uncomfortable.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 3:26:38 AM
At 9/15/2016 3:04:03 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 9/15/2016 3:03:07 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

this.

There's truth to it. A guy told me a while ago in the polls that me being so unbiased made him uncomfortable.

There's nothing to comment on.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 4:37:18 AM
A while ago it seemed like backing rebels may have been the best way to deal with the Syrian conflict. However, the support of unpredictable rebel groups from multiple foreign powers has done nothing but further destabilized Syria.

The root and core solution of this issue is for the US and Western Europe to join forces with Assad in the Syrian conflict. A stable brutal dictatorship in Syria is better than an unstable Republic with terrorism and militia groups everywhere.

For now though, it is utterly stupid to accept too many refugees. They have caused far too much trouble in Western Europe, and it is best that we do not follow the footsteps of Western Europe's over-generosity with Syrian refugees.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 5:05:30 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:37:18 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
A while ago it seemed like backing rebels may have been the best way to deal with the Syrian conflict. However, the support of unpredictable rebel groups from multiple foreign powers has done nothing but further destabilized Syria.

The root and core solution of this issue is for the US and Western Europe to join forces with Assad in the Syrian conflict. A stable brutal dictatorship in Syria is better than an unstable Republic with terrorism and militia groups everywhere.

For now though, it is utterly stupid to accept too many refugees. They have caused far too much trouble in Western Europe, and it is best that we do not follow the footsteps of Western Europe's over-generosity with Syrian refugees.

Damn these generous people.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 8:44:16 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:37:18 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

I'm convinced Obama is pushing this policy as a way to attack Trump on immigration controls and deflect attention from the disastrous policies that have helped to kill 400,000 people in Syria, and not simply some sense of altruism on his part. If it was altruism, why boast arbitrary numerical benchmarks? Shouldn't he just say "I support the immigration of as many people that want to come here," not just the lucky privileged 100,000? It's because he knows that's a suicidal position, politically and pragmatically.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:36:59 AM
I was going to post a similar thread yesterday. I decided against because this is, in my opinion, not a humanitarian but a political decision and it disgusts me. Central America is in crisis yet we are focusing on the Middle East.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:52:36 AM
At 9/14/2016 10:52:06 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
The White House plans on increasing refugees admitted to the United States to over 100,000. "The Obama administration is pressing ahead with plans to boost the number of refugees it will allow into the U.S. as a national debate rages over immigration and security. The increase to 110,000 represents a nearly 30 percent increase over the current fiscal year. It is also a more than 57 percent jump since 2015 "and is consistent with our belief that all countries should do more to help the world's most vulnerable people," a State Department official told NBC News." In the last fiscal year, the U.S. took in 85,000 refugees and 10,000 of those were Syrians. The Syrians were almost all Sunni Muslims, according to federal Refugee Processing Center statistics.

What do you think about this? Is this a good move and/or do you think it will affect the election in any way?

All a part of the plan to take the West down. They breed like roaches and your grandchildren get run out of their own country.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:58:39 AM
Ahem. You won't find a stronger ideological blindfold than the one covering the eyes of the most "unbiased."

It will not affect the election -- by this I mean the first debate on Monday, September 26 -- because the opposition to increased immigration regards illegal immigrants by the tens of millions, not legal quota refugees by the tens of thousands.

Moreover, Trump has abandoned his opposition to Muslim immigration, so this is dead in the water as far as the news value in concerned.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:53:00 AM
At 9/15/2016 10:58:39 AM, NHN wrote:
Ahem. You won't find a stronger ideological blindfold than the one covering the eyes of the most "unbiased."

It will not affect the election -- by this I mean the first debate on Monday, September 26 -- because the opposition to increased immigration regards illegal immigrants by the tens of millions, not legal quota refugees by the tens of thousands.

Moreover, Trump has abandoned his opposition to Muslim immigration, so this is dead in the water as far as the news value in concerned.

The 'unbiased' self proclamation is akin to 'I'm not racist, I have a black friend'.

I'm not a homophobe, I work with a lesbian.

Self effusive bs.
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 12:12:43 PM
Personally it concerns be a bit.

Because I'm trying to understand why you would migrate to another country and then refuse to assimilate, and why you would demand the country you've migrated to, to change their laws to accommodate your way of culture that was never compatible with the host countries way of life in the first place.

Why don't migrants work/fight to make the country(s) they've come from a place where they can live and be happy with their cultural norms? I've learned through another channel why middle eastern migrants choose not to migrate to the countries that are more close to their own culture like Saudi Arabia, Iran, UAE, Qatar. The answers I got was because those places are too strict and they offer no benefits, which in my honest opinion makes me wonder why this doesn't alarm western countries. Granted 100K is really abysmal, but honesty the peaceful silent majority are irrelevant when it only took 6 people to kill 3000+

I ask this because a lot of the migrants are healthy young men, who could be capable of becoming leaders in their home countries, and implementing the changes that the people want for that country so that they don't have to leave their home in the first place.

Right now it doesn't seem like a good idea, I need help understanding this better to make a solid conclusion on whether or not this is a good idea.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 1:16:11 PM
At 9/15/2016 12:12:43 PM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:

Because I'm trying to understand why you would migrate to another country and then refuse to assimilate, and why you would demand the country you've migrated to, to change their laws to accommodate your way of culture that was never compatible with the host countries way of life in the first place.

Why don't migrants work/fight to make the country(s) they've come from a place where they can live and be happy with their cultural norms? I've learned through another channel why middle eastern migrants choose not to migrate to the countries that are more close to their own culture like Saudi Arabia, Iran, UAE, Qatar. The answers I got was because those places are too strict and they offer no benefits, which in my honest opinion makes me wonder why this doesn't alarm western countries. Granted 100K is really abysmal, but honesty the peaceful silent majority are irrelevant when it only took 6 people to kill 3000+

I ask this because a lot of the migrants are healthy young men, who could be capable of becoming leaders in their home countries, and implementing the changes that the people want for that country so that they don't have to leave their home in the first place.

Right now it doesn't seem like a good idea, I need help understanding this better to make a solid conclusion on whether or not this is a good idea.

It strongly concerns Westernized ex Muslims like Ayan Hirsi Ali, Walid Shoebat, and Sarah Heider. That's the West's clue.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 1:18:32 PM
Ayan Hirsi Ali (ex Muslim)quotes on Islam

https://www.goodreads.com...

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 1:21:55 PM
Walid Shoebst (ex Muslim) quotes on Islam-

"What the West does not understand about Islamism is that Jihad is very systematic. It has stages. If Muslims have the upper hand, then Jihad is waged by force. If Muslims do not have the upper hand, then Jihad is waged through financial and political means. Since Muslims do not have the upper hand in America or Europe, they talk about peace in front of you while supporting Hamas and Hezbollah in the back room. The whole idea of Islam being a peaceful religion emanates from that silent stage of Jihad."

"Although the word Jihad standing by itself means "struggle," what Westerners need to focus on when reading the Hadith regarding Mohammed"s Jihad is similar to the focus needed when reading Mein Kampf (My Struggle) by Adolph Hitler."

"to this very day, Muslims do not view peace treaties in the same way that most people understand a "peace-treaty." To the Muslim mind, treaties are not binding agreements, but rather opportunities to grow stronger or buy time or to appear peaceful while preparing for war. But make no mistake, making peace treaties with the infidels simply for the sake of peace is never the ultimate goal. The only goal of Islam is victory over the whole world."

AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 2:31:22 PM
At 9/15/2016 1:21:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

"What the West does not understand about Islamism is that Jihad is very systematic. It has stages. If Muslims have the upper hand, then Jihad is waged by force. If Muslims do not have the upper hand, then Jihad is waged through financial and political means. Since Muslims do not have the upper hand in America or Europe, they talk about peace in front of you while supporting Hamas and Hezbollah in the back room. The whole idea of Islam being a peaceful religion emanates from that silent stage of Jihad."

"Although the word Jihad standing by itself means "struggle," what Westerners need to focus on when reading the Hadith regarding Mohammed"s Jihad is similar to the focus needed when reading Mein Kampf (My Struggle) by Adolph Hitler."

"to this very day, Muslims do not view peace treaties in the same way that most people understand a "peace-treaty." To the Muslim mind, treaties are not binding agreements, but rather opportunities to grow stronger or buy time or to appear peaceful while preparing for war. But make no mistake, making peace treaties with the infidels simply for the sake of peace is never the ultimate goal. The only goal of Islam is victory over the whole world."

Wow, this info is quite unsettling, it seems like the west is blatantly ignoring common sense and the effects this will have on our local communities for the sake of being morally superior. I guess moral superiority and feelings are more important than facts, and common sense, this is really eye opening, this is madness. It's a situation where everybody loses.

Has Europe experienced any positive results from hosting the Syrian refugees?....
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 4:54:34 PM
At 9/15/2016 2:31:22 PM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:

Wow, this info is quite unsettling, it seems like the west is blatantly ignoring common sense and the effects this will have on our local communities for the sake of being morally superior. I guess moral superiority and feelings are more important than facts, and common sense, this is really eye opening, this is madness. It's a situation where everybody loses.

Has Europe experienced any positive results from hosting the Syrian refugees?....

Just a rape epidemic, the rise of sharia zones and sharia courts, tweeking of laws, and a drowning welfare system due to max influx of asylumees.

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 5:13:40 PM
At 9/15/2016 4:54:34 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 9/15/2016 2:31:22 PM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:

Just a rape epidemic, the rise of sharia zones and sharia courts, tweeking of laws, and a drowning welfare system due to max influx of asylumees.

Why did your family leave Africa for America, craptor?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 6:37:19 PM
At 9/15/2016 12:12:43 PM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:

that's a great question, simple answer, because they can. Look at the areas in France where Muslims have settled and basically made their own state. Several times sharia courts have tried to be established in the U.S. openly, they probably are secretively.
Why do the leave? Possibly same kind of reason people do missionary work, to spread their word, probably too many reasons to get into.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 7:14:03 PM
This is greatly concerning to me as a resident of a Wilson-Fish state and popular refugee resettlement area. We've already had some sexual assault incidents by refugees (despite their relatively small numbers) and they are also being imported by local employers fo the cheap labor. Cheap rent and housing is now scarce in cities that host refugees due to shortages caused by refugee influxes.

We don't need more refugees in our communities. Our social capital is not there for the pillaging of outisiders. Find somewhere to put them where they can be reasonably expected to assimilate.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 8:51:47 PM

Bad idea. :(
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:00:40 PM
I support this. The refugee crisis is dire enough for us to be obliged to help out. Some may say that they won't assimilate into American culture but if that's the truth, why do they want to come here?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 12:00:29 AM
At 9/15/2016 11:00:40 PM, Varrack wrote:
I support this. The refugee crisis is dire enough for us to be obliged to help out. Some may say that they won't assimilate into American culture but if that's the truth, why do they want to come here?

They have nowhere else to go. I think it's more of an issue of national security. The background of many of these immigrants is radicalism -- something which could potentially threaten the security of our nation. Not to mention massive immigration in a short amount of time depresses short-term wages. As far as assimilation goes, it can be harder from those who come from a culture that's much different from what are traditionally social norms in the US. That's the case with this migrant crisis.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Grizzly-Jones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 12:41:50 AM
At 9/16/2016 12:00:29 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

They have nowhere else to go. I think it's more of an issue of national security. The background of many of these immigrants is radicalism -- something which could potentially threaten the security of our nation. Not to mention massive immigration in a short amount of time depresses short-term wages. As far as assimilation goes, it can be harder from those who come from a culture that's much different from what are traditionally social norms in the US. That's the case with this migrant crisis.

There is no security issue. The only issue is the integration part. the U.S vetting system is among the most strict in the world.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 2:12:51 AM

At least they didn't come from an area congenitally hostile to the West. Oh wait...

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 2:24:31 AM
At 9/16/2016 12:41:50 AM, Grizzly-Jones wrote:
At 9/16/2016 12:00:29 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

There is no security issue. The only issue is the integration part. the U.S vetting system is among the most strict in the world.

I disagree. We've had radical attacks in the US already due to lackadaisical immigration policy. The security issue perhaps isn't the biggest (because not all immigrants are/will turn radical), but it's definitely an issue. Integration is very difficult with the influence of radicalism as well. It's a sticky situation, and one I'd not be willing to risk.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 2:47:04 AM
What's to vet? Many of these people have no reliable record system to look through in the first place.