Jump to topic:

Hillary Clinton on deplorables.

zaarbuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 9:41:50 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I am as anti-Hillary as you are likely to find but I am even more strongly anti-Trump. So when Hillary first made her deplorables speech I found myself in the unusual position of agreeing with and even defending her. If you define a deplorable as someone who is "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, [or] Islamaphobic", then when I think about the Trump supporters I know (and living in the area I do that is a lot) I have a hard time thinking of any do not fit at least one of those descriptions. Saying half of Trump supporters fit this description was, to me at first, an understatement but then I got to thinking about the people themselves. My grandmother fits more than one of those. I'd be willing to bet a lot of grandmas do. Does that make my grandmother a deplorable person? No, of course not. She is a sweet old lady and I don't just think that because she is my grandmother. The truth is most people who are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, or Islamaphobic aren't bad people (though there certainly are exceptions) they simply have some backwards ideas. It is their ideas that are deplorable not the people. So while I don't think Hillary was exactly wrong I do wish she would have worded it better. The problem with Trump is he makes deplorable ideas seem acceptable and that makes him, dare I say it, deplorable.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 10:22:03 AM
At 9/16/2016 9:41:50 AM, zaarbuc wrote:
I am as anti-Hillary as you are likely to find but I am even more strongly anti-Trump. So when Hillary first made her deplorables speech I found myself in the unusual position of agreeing with and even defending her. If you define a deplorable as someone who is "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, [or] Islamaphobic", then when I think about the Trump supporters I know (and living in the area I do that is a lot) I have a hard time thinking of any do not fit at least one of those descriptions. Saying half of Trump supporters fit this description was, to me at first, an understatement but then I got to thinking about the people themselves. My grandmother fits more than one of those. I'd be willing to bet a lot of grandmas do. Does that make my grandmother a deplorable person? No, of course not. She is a sweet old lady and I don't just think that because she is my grandmother. The truth is most people who are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, or Islamaphobic aren't bad people (though there certainly are exceptions) they simply have some backwards ideas. It is their ideas that are deplorable not the people. So while I don't think Hillary was exactly wrong I do wish she would have worded it better. The problem with Trump is he makes deplorable ideas seem acceptable and that makes him, dare I say it, deplorable.

Don't fall into the trap of misusing the word phobia. Also don't fall into the trap of mislabeling.

Phobia -- An exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

How many people do you know that are irrationally FEARFUL of Islam? The persons this label is placed upon are the ones who are against allowing in refugees.

Are they against allowing in refugees because of an irrational fear of the Islamic religion? Or are they against it due to the Radical Islamic Terrorist attacks around the world; even being committed by Radical Islamic Terrorists who snuck in through the refugee population? Are is it because of the massive group rapes by Islamic refugee populations against non-Islamic citizens of European nations? I believe it's more of a logical safety argument, rather than an irrational fear of the Islamic Religion.

Same with homophobia. Do those people have an irrational FEAR of homosexuals, or do they instead live by a set of morals that say homosexual behavior is a sin, wrong or unnatural? Again, I believe it to be differing systems of morality, not irrational fear.

Xenophobia. Do they really have an irrational fear of people from other nations? Do they irrationally fear French, Canadians, Argentinians, South Koreans, Polish, etc.; or do they second guess people from places and that practice a religion which call for death to America, death to the infidel, America is the great Satan; which has bred a group of men that flew two packed planes into the twin towers, flew a plane into the Pentagon, set off bombs in the crowd at the Boston Marathon, murdered satire writers for a magazine for drawing a religious figure, mass raped women on New Years, ran a truck through a crowded street to kill as many as possible, who murdered a full auditorium of unarmed people, who place westerners in cages then drown them or burn them alive, who force people on their knees simply for being westerners then slowly and violently behead them on camera or execute them with a gunshot to the head, people who invade schools and kidnap hundreds of children under the age of 12 then sell them off to spend the rest of their lives as sex slaves?

Before you go around thoughtlessly applying labels to individuals because it's what you are told to do, take a step back, take a few breaths, and think about the situation; put yourself in the other person's shoes. Phobias are pretty rare; they definitely aren't half of a voting block. We are too quick to take the easy route and follow the masses and adopt the beliefs of the loudest voice in the room; I would push that you actually take the time to think about what that message is and what the consequences are of following it.
zaarbuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 11:04:19 AM
At 9/16/2016 10:22:03 AM, MakeSensePeopleDont wrote:

Don't fall into the trap of misusing the word phobia. Also don't fall into the trap of mislabeling.

Phobia -- An exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

How many people do you know that are irrationally FEARFUL of Islam? The persons this label is placed upon are the ones who are against allowing in refugees.

Are they against allowing in refugees because of an irrational fear of the Islamic religion? Or are they against it due to the Radical Islamic Terrorist attacks around the world; even being committed by Radical Islamic Terrorists who snuck in through the refugee population? Are is it because of the massive group rapes by Islamic refugee populations against non-Islamic citizens of European nations? I believe it's more of a logical safety argument, rather than an irrational fear of the Islamic Religion.

Same with homophobia. Do those people have an irrational FEAR of homosexuals, or do they instead live by a set of morals that say homosexual behavior is a sin, wrong or unnatural? Again, I believe it to be differing systems of morality, not irrational fear.

Xenophobia. Do they really have an irrational fear of people from other nations? Do they irrationally fear French, Canadians, Argentinians, South Koreans, Polish, etc.; or do they second guess people from places and that practice a religion which call for death to America, death to the infidel, America is the great Satan; which has bred a group of men that flew two packed planes into the twin towers, flew a plane into the Pentagon, set off bombs in the crowd at the Boston Marathon, murdered satire writers for a magazine for drawing a religious figure, mass raped women on New Years, ran a truck through a crowded street to kill as many as possible, who murdered a full auditorium of unarmed people, who place westerners in cages then drown them or burn them alive, who force people on their knees simply for being westerners then slowly and violently behead them on camera or execute them with a gunshot to the head, people who invade schools and kidnap hundreds of children under the age of 12 then sell them off to spend the rest of their lives as sex slaves?

Before you go around thoughtlessly applying labels to individuals because it's what you are told to do, take a step back, take a few breaths, and think about the situation; put yourself in the other person's shoes. Phobias are pretty rare; they definitely aren't half of a voting block. We are too quick to take the easy route and follow the masses and adopt the beliefs of the loudest voice in the room; I would push that you actually take the time to think about what that message is and what the consequences are of following it.

I am well aware of the definition of phobia and yes I would consider anyone who has an aversion to refugees as fearful and illogical. I would also consider anyone who is against homosexuality as illogical and quite likely fearful that their own morals and religion will soon no longer be in the majority. Also if you were paying attention to my post the whole point was about applying labels to ideas not people. Something I decided after giving it more thought. Too many people are following the loudest mouth in the room and no one has a louder mouth than Trump. The people supporting him would do well to heed your advice about listening to his message and thinking about the consequences.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 11:13:26 AM

If deplorable means pro murder, anti American, unpatriotic, welcoming of our brutal enemies, drug addicts, lazy bums, etc, I guess Hillary's supporters are a basket of deplorables.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 11:21:04 AM
At 9/16/2016 11:13:26 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

If deplorable means pro murder, anti American, unpatriotic, welcoming of our brutal enemies, drug addicts, lazy bums, etc, I guess Hillary's supporters are a basket of deplorables.

Try a dictionary.
zaarbuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 11:50:21 AM

That's okay. As I said, I am anti-Hillary too.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 12:16:04 PM
At 9/16/2016 11:04:19 AM, zaarbuc wrote:
At 9/16/2016 10:22:03 AM, MakeSensePeopleDont wrote:

I am well aware of the definition of phobia and yes I would consider anyone who has an aversion to refugees as fearful and illogical. I would also consider anyone who is against homosexuality as illogical and quite likely fearful that their own morals and religion will soon no longer be in the majority. Also if you were paying attention to my post the whole point was about applying labels to ideas not people. Something I decided after giving it more thought. Too many people are following the loudest mouth in the room and no one has a louder mouth than Trump. The people supporting him would do well to heed your advice about listening to his message and thinking about the consequences.

So anyone who disagrees with your opinions is unquestionably the -ist or -phobic that fits. You place zero value upon empathy, understanding, compassion, or compromise; yet you simultaneously demand unwavering adherence to these values from the same people you refuse to provide them to.

You appear to be displaying tell tale signs of what psychologists refer to as "projection".
Additionally, there is no question you are allodoxaphobic.

(703) 482-0623 -- This is the number for the CIA. I have absolutely no doubt that they will be extremely excited to learn that you have the ability to read minds. They have been exhaustively searching for this ability for decades.

I did pay attention to your post, which had nothing to do with applying labels to an idea. Your entire post was a rant about how you hate Clinton but hate Trump more, how there are many Trump supporters in your area, all of which are -ists and -phobics; and how your grandma is one as well, but this contradicts your personal view of the world and how it works so you're gonna twist and bend your world until somehow you mental gymnastics your grandmother into being that lovable and caring old lady you want, while somehow still being a horrible Trump supporting -ist and -phobic.

See, you ALMOST got yourself on the right path there when you added your grandma into the mix; but alas, you let yourself get sucked back down the dark road of nonsense, so desperate not to understand reality that you pulled your grandma down with you, now labeling her a horrible person who somehow also is not horrible. What a complex gymnastics routine you have going on in that thinker of yours.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 12:44:20 PM
At 9/16/2016 11:50:21 AM, zaarbuc wrote:

She's a full blown capitalist who pretends to be an anti capitalist who's campaign is 20% funded by the nation that took down the World Trade Centers. It'll be a cold day in he** before I ever vote for her.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 1:27:07 PM
At 9/16/2016 12:44:20 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

She's a full blown capitalist who pretends to be an anti capitalist who's campaign is 20% funded by the nation that took down the World Trade Centers. It'll be a cold day in he** before I ever vote for her.

Really? You aren't voting for Mrs. Clinton? After all these love letters you keep posting her.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 8:49:01 PM
At 9/16/2016 1:27:07 PM, desmac wrote:

Really? You aren't voting for Mrs. Clinton? After all these love letters you keep posting her.

Nope. $2 billion + in a foundation who doesn't deliver money or help to anyone and its donors are foreigners? You'd have to be completely mentally inept.

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 8:52:01 PM
At 9/16/2016 8:49:01 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 9/16/2016 1:27:07 PM, desmac wrote:

Nope. $2 billion + in a foundation who doesn't deliver money or help to anyone and its donors are foreigners? You'd have to be completely mentally inept.

So you are voting for her as you have that qualification.