Jump to topic:

Russian Legislative Elections, 2016

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 3:58:36 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Scheduled for September 18, they present an opportunity for the opposition to gain more seats and for the ruling United Russia party to lose seats.
The Russian economy is in the slumps, and Russia's "rainy day fund" is scheduled to run out of money sometime in mid-2017, after which the government may start drawing money from pension funds (that is, old people's livelihood) if the economy doesn't pick back up by that time. Given all this, the United Russia party will likely pay the price on Sunday IMO.
What are your thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 4:00:11 AM
At 9/17/2016 3:58:36 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Scheduled for September 18, they present an opportunity for the opposition to gain more seats and for the ruling United Russia party to lose seats.
The Russian economy is in the slumps, and Russia's "rainy day fund" is scheduled to run out of money sometime in mid-2017, after which the government may start drawing money from pension funds (that is, old people's livelihood) if the economy doesn't pick back up by that time. Given all this, the United Russia party will likely pay the price on Sunday IMO.
What are your thoughts?

https://media.giphy.com...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 4:23:50 AM
What are your thoughts?

Oh United Russia is gonna win. The communists and A Just Russsia only exist to make it look fair. That being said, I still stand by my endorsement of a Just Russia.
http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 4:28:15 AM
What are your thoughts?

Russia is descending into a dictatorship while appearing to be Republican. The game is rigged in favor of Putin and the United Russia party.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 5:06:52 AM
At 9/17/2016 4:23:50 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Oh United Russia is gonna win. The communists and A Just Russsia only exist to make it look fair. That being said, I still stand by my endorsement of a Just Russia.

The establishment has a lot of tricks up its sleeve for staying in power, and some significant degree of electoral fraud does exist for sure, but Russia is still technically a democracy. United Russia probably won't lose its majority in the State Duma, but the majority that it holds will shrink noticeably. That's my prediction.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 5:10:58 AM
Worse case scenario: United Russia no longer holds 50% or more of all seats in the State Duma, though it remains the party with the most seats by far.

The DDO Blog:

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 6:00:03 AM
At 9/17/2016 5:06:52 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
What are your thoughts?

The establishment has a lot of tricks up its sleeve for staying in power, and some significant degree of electoral fraud does exist for sure, but Russia is still technically a democracy. United Russia probably won't lose its majority in the State Duma, but the majority that it holds will shrink noticeably. That's my prediction.

Electoral fraud in Russia only grows and grows... At this point, Russia is just a Republic in name only. In reality, their political system is similar to China's - a one party state, only with a pseudo-dictator leading the party.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 6:04:18 AM
Oh United Russia is gonna win. The communists and A Just Russsia only exist to make it look fair.

+1

The other political parties are controlled opposition.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 11:25:57 PM
At 9/17/2016 6:00:03 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Electoral fraud in Russia only grows and grows... At this point, Russia is just a Republic in name only. In reality, their political system is similar to China's - a one party state, only with a pseudo-dictator leading the party.

Last time three candidates (one from the communists and two from a Just Russia) were mysteriously killed right before the election
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:16:49 AM
At 9/17/2016 11:25:57 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Last time three candidates (one from the communists and two from a Just Russia) were mysteriously killed right before the election

Gee I wonder who was behind it...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:16:31 PM
At 9/18/2016 12:16:49 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 9/17/2016 11:25:57 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Gee I wonder who was behind it...

I believe Putin's response was "I will do everything in my power to find these killers...and pay them whatever I owe them"
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 2:30:12 PM
So final results have United Russia winning 343 seats, gaining 105 seats.
Meanwhile the communist party, and a Just Russia, the two left wing parties, lost a majority of their seats. The Far-Right Liberal Democratic Party lost a few seats, but kept most of them.
Two parties did enter the parliament for the first time.
The conservative Civic Platform won one seat. This party is relatively anti-Putin.
The Far-Right Rodina party also won one seat. This party supports further intervention in Ukraine.
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 2:41:47 PM
At 9/19/2016 2:30:12 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
The conservative Civic Platform won one seat. This party is relatively anti-Putin.
It was anti-Putin. But not any more. Its founder Prokhorov quit the party after its participation in the nationalist anti-Maidan/pro-Putin demonstration in February 2015 (https://sputniknews.com...).

Alas, not a single member of the entire State Duma can even be categorized as controlled opposition. Rather, the State Duma constitutes a collection of capos in the primitive thugocracy that is Russia.

PS. Thread is "awesome."
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 5:22:59 PM
Meanwhile the communist party, and a Just Russia, the two left wing parties, lost a majority of their seats. The Far-Right Liberal Democratic Party lost a few seats, but kept most of them.
The Far-Right Rodina party also won one seat. This party supports further intervention in Ukraine.

I never would've expected for UR to gain 105 seats. This came as a huge shock.

The DDO Blog:

NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 6:44:16 PM
At 9/19/2016 5:22:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
ROFL!

But I don't know if it beats this (http://www.debate.org...).
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 8:06:57 PM
So basically the Russian people went "Thank you, United Russia, the party in power, for doing absolutely nothing about our failing economy. Here's more seats in the State Duma!"

The DDO Blog:

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 12:11:42 AM
At 9/19/2016 5:22:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Is it though?
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 12:19:41 AM
At 9/19/2016 8:06:57 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
So basically the Russian people went "Thank you, United Russia, the party in power, for doing absolutely nothing about our failing economy. Here's more seats in the State Duma!"

The elections are quite obviously rigged, all other political parties are controlled opposition.

Face it, Russia is a one party state, not a republic.