Jump to topic:

World Problems

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:08:42 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
We have many world problems. These are my solutions to a few of them.

1. Purge ISIS from the earth.

ISIS should be purged from the earth by allied Western forces, and, in particular, the United States and Russia should lead the charge, supported by the United Kingdom, France, Australia, Canada, and any other Western country that desires to join in.

What I would like to see take place is something similar to what the Hebrews did to the city of Jericho, as described in the book of Joshua. Though, sparing women and children here would be appropriate, ISIS members should be shown no mercy.

ISIS is an evil unlike any that has ever existed, which is the product of radical Islam. ISIS members display inhuman barbarism, and are unworthy of even being recognized as members of the human race. They are less valuable than rabid animals.

Though ISIS is not the only form of filthy Islamic barbarism, it is the most menacing in the present. Radical Islam, though, is a rabies of the mind. It is a kind of ideological pathology which is the sole threat to ongoing Western civilization, to justice, and to peace anywhere in the world.

I see no real reason to go out of my way to distinguish between kinds of Islam, either. The Islamic world must chose between permitting or destroying ISIS, and to simply sit passively will never suffice. As George Bush said when we invaded Iraq, either "you are with us, or you are against us." It is that simple.

A call to war should not be taken lightly, but I think that public displays of support for overwhelming coalition force are worthwhile. America is a country now of people who deride even the idea that it should ever exercise its military might again. But when evil exists, it is our responsibility as the sole indispensable nation to address it with the full force of the United States' power.

2. Raise the costs of Chinese alliance with North Korea to critical mass.

The North Koreans will continue to test nuclear weapons for the purpose of extorting "aid" from China and the first world. Basically, North Korea is the psychopathic younger sibling that takes the family dog hostage and threatens to kill it in cold blood unless he gets taken out for ice cream. Just as that kid should be institutionalized, so too should North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Un.

Kim Jong Un has no perspective grasp of reality, nor an understanding of the world beyond North Korea's borders. He is a low grade moron who inherited a disaster of a country from a mentally deranged lunatic known as Kim Jong Il. And it is for that reason that the United States must begin to speak in language that he will understand: unrestrained fear.

The time for tactical strikes on North Korea's nuclear sites and facilities, as well as strikes on the residence of every person affiliated with North Korea's nuclear program, the supply chain that supports the nuclear program, and the like is quickly approaching.

It should be made clear to the Chinese that it risks war with the United States if Kim Jong Un does not yield. The Chinese must chose between their idiotic ideological commitment to North Korean existence, and their economic relationship with the Western World.

3. Insignificant Idiocy Must be Dealt with.

Mere use of the term "insignificant idiot" connotes Rodrigo Duterte, whose country should face crippling economic sanctions until he is forced out of office.

Westerners who try to join ISIS should be indefinitely held at Guantanamo, which should remain open for that purpose.
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:12:45 AM
At 9/18/2016 6:08:42 AM, YYW wrote:

ISIS should be purged from the earth by allied Western forces, and, in particular, the United States and Russia should lead the charge, supported by the United Kingdom, France, Australia, Canada, and any other Western country that desires to join in.

What I would like to see take place is something similar to what the Hebrews did to the city of Jericho, as described in the book of Joshua. Though, sparing women and children here would be appropriate, ISIS members should be shown no mercy.

ISIS is an evil unlike any that has ever existed, which is the product of radical Islam. ISIS members display inhuman barbarism, and are unworthy of even being recognized as members of the human race. They are less valuable than rabid animals.

Though ISIS is not the only form of filthy Islamic barbarism, it is the most menacing in the present. Radical Islam, though, is a rabies of the mind. It is a kind of ideological pathology which is the sole threat to ongoing Western civilization, to justice, and to peace anywhere in the world.

I see no real reason to go out of my way to distinguish between kinds of Islam, either. The Islamic world must chose between permitting or destroying ISIS, and to simply sit passively will never suffice. As George Bush said when we invaded Iraq, either "you are with us, or you are against us." It is that simple.

A call to war should not be taken lightly, but I think that public displays of support for overwhelming coalition force are worthwhile. America is a country now of people who deride even the idea that it should ever exercise its military might again. But when evil exists, it is our responsibility as the sole indispensable nation to address it with the full force of the United States' power.

Glad to see you are softening your stance on a Russian alliance.

The North Koreans will continue to test nuclear weapons for the purpose of extorting "aid" from China and the first world. Basically, North Korea is the psychopathic younger sibling that takes the family dog hostage and threatens to kill it in cold blood unless he gets taken out for ice cream. Just as that kid should be institutionalized, so too should North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Un.

Kim Jong Un has no perspective grasp of reality, nor an understanding of the world beyond North Korea's borders. He is a low grade moron who inherited a disaster of a country from a mentally deranged lunatic known as Kim Jong Il. And it is for that reason that the United States must begin to speak in language that he will understand: unrestrained fear.

The time for tactical strikes on North Korea's nuclear sites and facilities, as well as strikes on the residence of every person affiliated with North Korea's nuclear program, the supply chain that supports the nuclear program, and the like is quickly approaching.

It should be made clear to the Chinese that it risks war with the United States if Kim Jong Un does not yield. The Chinese must chose between their idiotic ideological commitment to North Korean existence, and their economic relationship with the Western World.

There may be better ways to deal with Korea by putting pressure on China instead.

Mere use of the term "insignificant idiot" connotes Rodrigo Duterte, whose country should face crippling economic sanctions until he is forced out of office.

That's fine, just no military show of force.
Westerners who try to join ISIS should be indefinitely held at Guantanamo, which should remain open for that purpose.
yep.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:17:03 AM

What happened to eradicate extreme poverty/hunger, ensure environmental sustainability, develop a global partnership for development, achieve universal primary education, promote gender equality and empower women, reduce child mortality, improve maternal health, and/or combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases? You know, those kinds of world problems that the UN feels the need to address. Certainly you could have at least addressed one of these instead of what you did for number 3.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:21:08 AM

You mean commit genocide?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:22:14 AM
At 9/18/2016 6:21:08 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

What I said is, by definition, not genocide. Learn the meaning of words before speaking in the future.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:25:36 AM
At 9/18/2016 6:12:45 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

I've always been willing to work with the Russians, I just don't like the idea... because they're Russians.

There may be better ways to deal with Korea by putting pressure on China instead.

I was describing putting pressure on China.
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:27:34 AM
At 9/18/2016 6:25:36 AM, YYW wrote:

I've always been willing to work with the Russians, I just don't like the idea... because they're Russians.
Get over it. There's more important things at stake here.

I was describing putting pressure on China.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:29:31 AM
At 9/18/2016 6:27:34 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/18/2016 6:25:36 AM, YYW wrote:

Get over it. There's more important things at stake here.

Meh. I will never trust Russians, but I'd be willing to work with them to do to ISIS what the Hebrews did to Jericho.
Tsar of DDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:38:06 AM
At 9/18/2016 6:22:14 AM, YYW wrote:

What I said is, by definition, not genocide. Learn the meaning of words before speaking in the future.

Lol, they committed genocide in the book of Joshua, so....

One need not kill member of a group to consider (an) act(s) genocide btw. But you know that. SMH
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:57:10 AM

I would take effort to force him out of office, but economic sanctions are to destructive to justify them -- perhaps more destructive than even Duterte.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 7:00:03 AM

Not genocide, walking around a city for a week and screaming duh.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 7:20:02 AM
At 9/18/2016 6:17:03 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

What happened to eradicate extreme poverty/hunger, ensure environmental sustainability, develop a global partnership for development, achieve universal primary education, promote gender equality and empower women, reduce child mortality, improve maternal health, and/or combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases? You know, those kinds of world problems that the UN feels the need to address. Certainly you could have at least addressed one of these instead of what you did for number 3.

The things YYW suggests are all about fighting against other people. The things you suggest (More important!) are more about fighting against something. My guess is that for him it's just easier to work against an enemy that he loves to hate :/
Meh!
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:13:10 PM

I accept this, moral superiority is self defeating in this situation, and this situation should be met with extreme prejudice, so that ISIS can be ended abruptly.

The only reason the Chinese uphold North Korea is because of geographical logistics, USA is already located in Japan and South Korea for that same reason, in case something jumps off USA is already at the ready with the support of Japan and South Korea. Putting pressure on the Chinese to keep North Korea on a tight leash or else is ideal, but I feel like North Korea is taking advantage of our current administrations' weak foreign presence, it's true we need a stronger administration to press China a bit more into keeping NK in its' place.

I'm not sold on sanctioning the Philippines if they are not a direct threat to our livelihood, I feel like the matters happening within a country is up to its' people to change if they warrant it.

this idea has the potential to be a deterrent AND a motivator for higher suicide tactics.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 4:31:07 PM
At 9/18/2016 6:57:10 AM, tejretics wrote:

I would take effort to force him out of office

Actually, I take this back. I respect the democratic decision of the people of the Philippines. I would do everything to curtail his human rights violations, and that's it. Doing anything further would probably cause more harm than good.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:20:29 PM
At 9/18/2016 4:31:07 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 9/18/2016 6:57:10 AM, tejretics wrote:

I would take effort to force him out of office

Actually, I take this back. I respect the democratic decision of the people of the Philippines. I would do everything to curtail his human rights violations, and that's it. Doing anything further would probably cause more harm than good.

Glad to see reasonable minds revolting against the World Police culture.
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:33:35 PM

ISIS is not a nation or ethnic group, imbecile.
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:37:58 PM

What about climate change?

Is it a "We need to do something about it.", or is it a " We need to do something about it."
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:03:22 PM
At 9/18/2016 5:37:58 PM, Geographia wrote:

What about climate change?

Is it a "We need to do something about it.", or is it a " We need to do something about it."

Wear sunscreen, move the lawn sprinklers, raise your house 3 feet. (also try not to laugh at Darwin killing off the dodo birds)

Globalwarming fixt.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:10:13 PM
At 9/18/2016 5:33:35 PM, Geographia wrote:

You're an idiot. That need not be the case to consitute a genocide. It could also be a religious or cultural group being targeted.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:22:16 PM
Duterte's drug war should just be ignored by our administration. It is technically a violation of basic human rights to a fair trial and proportional punishment, but it is undeniably making the Philippines a better place.

HOWEVER, recently Rodrigo Duterte has started shifting away from the U.S. and towards China. If he makes a full-blown embrace of China and a full-blown rejection of the United States, then we should regard him as an enemy.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:30:32 PM
In regards to North Korea and Duterte, I would suggest something called the "Jack Ryan Doctrine."

In some later Tom Clancy novels, Jack Ryan becomes POTUS. One of his major foreign policy challenges comes from some dictator who does something bad to Americans (don't remember what). The war drums start beating, but instead of invading that country Jack Ryan simply orders an F-117 to bomb the dictator's home, killing him.
The dictator committed the crime, not the people of his country or even the soldiers in his army, who were simply following orders. Therefore only that dictator should die for said crime.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:57:10 PM
At 9/18/2016 6:38:06 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Hardly. You should avail yourself to investigate the meaning of words before using them.

Genocide is the deliberate killing of members of an ethnic group because they are members of an ethnic group. That is not what happened in Jericho.

One need not kill member of a group to consider (an) act(s) genocide btw. But you know that. SMH

That sentence doesn't make sense. Wanna try it again?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:58:05 PM
At 9/18/2016 6:10:13 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

You're an idiot. That need not be the case to consitute a genocide. It could also be a religious or cultural group being targeted.

What a productive conversation...

Also, you spelt "constitute" wrong.
Tsar of DDO
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:58:19 PM
They can be contained without adding ground troops in Iraq and Syria. As we balance offshore, we should see to it that Russia and Iran take a leading role in decimating ISIS.

China's commitment to North Korea is not ideological but geopolitical, as it constitutes a buffer zone to what China considers a hostile power. Through its irrational behavior, North Korea also provides a check on Japan. The perfect counter here is to ally with South Korea and Japan and make sure that they lead efforts, if any, against the rogue Kim dynasty.

No, it mustn't. Leaders come and go, but the Philippines will remain important ally in the counterbalancing effort in the South China Sea in the foreseeable future.

And GTMO should be closed as it doesn't guarantee habeas corpus rights for its prisoners (better to kill or imprison the terrorists on site than to bring them back and subject them to our laws).

What we need to worry about is of a different nature:
1. China's rise, which upsets the balance of power in the South China Sea.

2. Russia's mismanagement and revanchism, which destabilizes Europe.

3. Europe's decrepit economy and institutional decline.
Eurostat just reported a 10% YOY decrease in exports; a looming bank crisis in Italy; and the U.K. is being forced away from the single market.

These problems don't have immediate solutions. Rather, we should proceed with caution as we disentangle ourselves from the Cold War architecture and stand ready to face new challenges.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 6:59:11 PM

Thank goodness you abandoned the idea of the Coalition of the willing splitting the oil in Iraq and occupying it indefinitely.

While working with other countries to eradicate ISIS is good, it is short sighted to think force is the only tactic we need to deal with radical Islam over the next 100 years.

I agree that something drastic needs to be done. Tactical strikes ignore the fact that there is enough mortars and rockets to flatten Seoul multiple times. I don't believe that it is believed the threat to South Korea can be neutralized.

It is very difficult to find the right levers to get China to cooperate. idle threats will not work. Attacks could result in millions dead. It is going to require covert actions or even bribes to get China on board. I would be more likely to make China an ally than enemy in this.

Secondly it is probably very likely that Iran and Pakistan are still involved with the transfer of technology and know how. It needs to be stopped.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 7:07:50 PM
At 9/18/2016 6:59:11 PM, slo1 wrote:

Thank goodness you abandoned the idea of the Coalition of the willing splitting the oil in Iraq and occupying it indefinitely.

I never said that I was abandoning that idea. What I'm proposing here is not inconsistent with what I said before, but before we talk about who divides up the spoils of war, the war must be won first.

While working with other countries to eradicate ISIS is good, it is short sighted to think force is the only tactic we need to deal with radical Islam over the next 100 years.

I also didn't suggest that a Western coalition to purge ISIS from the earth was the only tactic we need to deal with radical Islam. It is one of many tactics which should be utilized.

That established, while I think purging ISIS from the earth is something that the West has the military might to do, purging radical Islam from the earth isn't something that I think can be done with bloodshed, if it can be done at all.

I agree that something drastic needs to be done. Tactical strikes ignore the fact that there is enough mortars and rockets to flatten Seoul multiple times. I don't believe that it is believed the threat to South Korea can be neutralized.

Part of the thing that could be done with North Korea is to coordinate an overwhelming strike that would destroy every single military base in existence on the country, and every supply chain connected to every military base. Think of it as the ultimate shock and awe.

The idea is to destroy their infrastructure to an extent that they would be unable to mount any kind of military strike against South Korea.

It is very difficult to find the right levers to get China to cooperate. idle threats will not work. Attacks could result in millions dead. It is going to require covert actions or even bribes to get China on board. I would be more likely to make China an ally than enemy in this.

Secondly it is probably very likely that Iran and Pakistan are still involved with the transfer of technology and know how. It needs to be stopped.

You are right that Pakistan (not Iran) was involved in smuggling nuclear technology to North Korea, and I agree that that does also need to be stopped. That also raises other issues.

Reevaluating the United States' relationship with Pakistan is something I'm comfortable with, for example, by threatening war if they do not get their sh!t together.

Tsar of DDO
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 7:26:24 PM

OK. So say its genocide. Why should I care?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 7:32:55 PM
At 9/18/2016 6:57:10 PM, YYW wrote:

Hardly. You should avail yourself to investigate the meaning of words before using them.

Genocide is the deliberate killing of members of an ethnic group because they are members of an ethnic group. That is not what happened in Jericho.

TIL you haven"t read Joshua.

Deuteronomy says that God commanded Israel to "destroy totally" the Canaanites; the Israelites were to "leave alive nothing that breathes". Joshua records them following this out. In the sixth chapter it states "they devoted the city to the LORD and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it"men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys". In the 10th and 11th chapters it states that Joshua "left no survivors. He totally destroyed all who breathed, just as the LORD, the God of Israel, had commanded." Then, city after city, Joshua, supposedly at God"s command, puts every inhabitant "to the sword" "totally destroyed the inhabitants" and "left no survivors."

Read it again and then try again.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:25:03 PM
At 9/18/2016 7:32:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/18/2016 6:57:10 PM, YYW wrote:

TIL you haven"t read Joshua.

Deuteronomy says that God commanded Israel to "destroy totally" the Canaanites; the Israelites were to "leave alive nothing that breathes". Joshua records them following this out. In the sixth chapter it states "they devoted the city to the LORD and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it"men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys". In the 10th and 11th chapters it states that Joshua "left no survivors. He totally destroyed all who breathed, just as the LORD, the God of Israel, had commanded." Then, city after city, Joshua, supposedly at God"s command, puts every inhabitant "to the sword" "totally destroyed the inhabitants" and "left no survivors."

The Caananites were not a race. Really you should just stop trying to one up me... People who attempt that feat never succeed.

Read it again and then try again.

Lol it's that you didn't write a complete sentence
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 10:09:23 PM
At 9/18/2016 7:26:24 PM, Geographia wrote:

OK. So say its genocide. Why should I care?

It isn't genocide, and he can't even spell constitute.
Tsar of DDO