Jump to topic:

Noam Chomsky: A Man of Great Consistency

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 7:59:48 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I love Noam Chomsky but he's overrated (read: sometimes considered infallible) as a philosopher and that's stupid. He can be as inconsistent as the next guy... and most people are. But I didn't think this video did a good job at highlighting that or pointing out blatant inconsistencies (it's possible that I didn't watch or listen closely enough).

For example in one clip he mentioned those over in the CIA probably don't have brains, and in another clip he acknowledged the people working for the CIA are probably very smart. I don't see this as a real valid inconsistency so much as being taken out of context. It's easy for me to say things like Barack Obama is an idiot (for example) but the reality is that he is extremely educated and has enough intelligence and wherewithal to obtain excellent credentials and become the friggin POTUS. So Obama is not an idiot and I know that, even if I think many of his policies are idiotic or he does idiotic things.

In other words I think Chomsky was speaking in hyperbole in some of these clips. Is there anything in particular that sticks out from this video as inconsistent, or are you looking to critique inconsistent Chomsky comments/politics in general? Cause that would be interesting to discuss.
President of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 8:23:00 PM
At 9/19/2016 7:59:48 PM, Danielle wrote:
I love Noam Chomsky but he's overrated (read: sometimes considered infallible) as a philosopher and that's stupid. He can be as inconsistent as the next guy... and most people are. But I didn't think this video did a good job at highlighting that or pointing out blatant inconsistencies (it's possible that I didn't watch or listen closely enough).

For example in one clip he mentioned those over in the CIA probably don't have brains, and in another clip he acknowledged the people working for the CIA are probably very smart. I don't see this as a real valid inconsistency so much as being taken out of context. It's easy for me to say things like Barack Obama is an idiot (for example) but the reality is that he is extremely educated and has enough intelligence and wherewithal to obtain excellent credentials and become the friggin POTUS. So Obama is not an idiot and I know that, even if I think many of his policies are idiotic or he does idiotic things.

In other words I think Chomsky was speaking in hyperbole in some of these clips. Is there anything in particular that sticks out from this video as inconsistent, or are you looking to critique inconsistent Chomsky comments/politics in general? Cause that would be interesting to discuss.

It's not intended to be serious. Like half the clips are totally misrepresentative taken out of context.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 8:40:43 PM
At 9/19/2016 7:59:48 PM, Danielle wrote:
I love Noam Chomsky but he's overrated (read: sometimes considered infallible) as a philosopher and that's stupid.

To the extent that people regard him as being infallible, then yes, he is over rated, but that's more a reflection of the existence of idiots in the world than it is a reflection of Chomsky's awesomeness.

Chomsky does have a lot of groupies, though, who are kind of dumb.

Tsar of DDO