Jump to topic:

Did the Romans get it right

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 12:01:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If my high school Latin doesn't fail me, ending with Caeser the Romans had a republic that implemented a dictator to lead them in times of war. Anyone else think, in principle, its a good idea? During WWII it seems to me like we were more or less under totalitarian rule in order to achieve victory.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 12:50:30 AM
Only during times of war . . . then fine I agree . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 6:12:23 AM
At 1/12/2011 12:01:32 AM, lewis20 wrote:
If my high school Latin doesn't fail me, ending with Caeser the Romans had a republic that implemented a dictator to lead them in times of war. Anyone else think, in principle, its a good idea? During WWII it seems to me like we were more or less under totalitarian rule in order to achieve victory.

Actually the office of Dictator existed very early on in the Republic, and it worked very well.

Caesar is a rather bad example of a Roman dictator, in that he was granted dictatorial powers for life, when the dictators of old were actually men of integrity who served for terms of months and voluntarily renounced their powers.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.