Jump to topic:

Advice from our leaders

kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:12:15 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
As President Obama said Monday, "we all have a role to play as citizens" by making sure we don't succumb to fear.
http://www.cnn.com...
Pretty easy to say when you have armed guards 24/7 and live behind security and gates.
I just picked this inane statement as an example, but there's plenty from plenty other "leaders" to be sure.
To me this is condescending for them to tell us what to do, when they live in the extra safe world and have no clue and are so out of touch with the average person. If this is the best they can come up with, I'd rather they say nothing at all. He certainly doesn't own the market on stupid things said, there's more than enough stupidity to go around in the government.
Obviously I don't think these statements are helpful or useful, do you think they are? What should they say?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:27:13 PM
At 9/20/2016 3:12:15 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
As President Obama said Monday, "we all have a role to play as citizens" by making sure we don't succumb to fear.
Pretty easy to say when you have armed guards 24/7 and live behind security and gates.
I just picked this inane statement as an example, but there's plenty from plenty other "leaders" to be sure.
To me this is condescending for them to tell us what to do, when they live in the extra safe world and have no clue and are so out of touch with the average person. If this is the best they can come up with, I'd rather they say nothing at all. He certainly doesn't own the market on stupid things said, there's more than enough stupidity to go around in the government.
Obviously I don't think these statements are helpful or useful, do you think they are? What should they say?

That is fine to feel that way. Go in hiding.

It is very revealing that a poll showed that over 60 percent of Trump supporters personally feared a terror attack.

With that said that is not a Obama exclusive to recommend going on with daily life rather than cowering in fear. It is a sentiment encouraged in Israel and else where.

If it is rooted in statistically truth, then yes it is the right thing to say. You and I have extremely low odds to be personally impacted by terrorism in the US.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:41:42 PM
At 9/20/2016 3:27:13 PM, slo1 wrote:

It is very revealing that a poll showed that over 60 percent of Trump supporters personally feared a terror attack.

With that said that is not a Obama exclusive to recommend going on with daily life rather than cowering in fear. It is a sentiment encouraged in Israel and else where.

If it is rooted in statistically truth, then yes it is the right thing to say. You and I have extremely low odds to be personally impacted by terrorism in the US.

Wasn't talking about odds, yes they are extremely low, didn't say it was an Obama exclusive did you read what I wrote? Just because it's done in other countries means it's right? How as his statement helpful or useful? Couldn't it be seen as telling some one to suck it up, but in a nicer way? If you were trying to comfort someone, make them feel better, whatever, wouldn't you add, here's what you can do, here's what we will do. Instead of telling them, just stay strong. You don't think that statement was a bit cold and lacking in any real concern? Again so you don't miss it, this pertains to a large majority who live in their ivory towers.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:47:20 PM

To address your poll (here we go again with polls), personally feared for themselves or personally believe and feared there would be another terror attack? Can you not fear for fellow Americans? Do most people fear for things that will probably never happen to them, like guns, seat belts, smoking, drinking Alcohol, taking medicine (yep people die all the time because of allergic reactions etc) Most fear isn't rational, imagine how much peace there would be if we all were rational.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 5:35:38 PM
At 9/20/2016 3:47:20 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

To address your poll (here we go again with polls), personally feared for themselves or personally believe and feared there would be another terror attack? Can you not fear for fellow Americans? Do most people fear for things that will probably never happen to them, like guns, seat belts, smoking, drinking Alcohol, taking medicine (yep people die all the time because of allergic reactions etc) Most fear isn't rational, imagine how much peace there would be if we all were rational.

Exactly, it is not rational which is why we need leaders to remind people to not be fearful versus Trump and Trump Jr, who try to trigger an irrational fear response.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 5:39:49 PM
At 9/20/2016 5:35:38 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 9/20/2016 3:47:20 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Exactly, it is not rational which is why we need leaders to remind people to not be fearful versus Trump and Trump Jr, who try to trigger an irrational fear response.

Neither of those 2 are or have been president or in a governmental position of power, so it's off topic/deflection/distraction/ whatever people call it. The question is, do or have our leaders adequately addressed the public in a meaningful and sincere way? And I listed why I say nay to that (mostly).
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:56:28 PM

No one wants to "live in fear", but some fear is neccessary. We have it so we will survive. Right now we need to use rational fear to protect our country from the threat. Ignoring ISIS and going to Disneyland does not make ISIS vanish.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 7:03:28 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:56:28 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

No one wants to "live in fear", but some fear is neccessary. We have it so we will survive. Right now we need to use rational fear to protect our country from the threat. Ignoring ISIS and going to Disneyland does not make ISIS vanish.

I agree, the out of touch way they tell us to buck up, suck it up, tough it out, don't give in etc, then they try to minimize by tossing in lone wolf etc stuff I already listed, but when it's a home grown terrorist aka mass murdered then it's about gun control. They don't live in the same reality us working poor do, I get that, why can't they? So easy to spew flowery words and not say anything always surrounded by armed security. What do they really know of fear?