Jump to topic:

What do y'all have against BLM?

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 12:31:02 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I live in a place without many conservatives, so I've been quite surprised to see that there is a substantial amount of anti-BLM sentiment on this site. I'm curious why you hold these opinions.
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 12:40:28 AM
At 9/23/2016 12:31:02 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
I live in a place without many conservatives, so I've been quite surprised to see that there is a substantial amount of anti-BLM sentiment on this site. I'm curious why you hold these opinions.

http://www.debate.org...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 12:50:06 AM
At 9/23/2016 12:40:28 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Very well stated. I would have been one of those independent people who could have backed this (as one carrying a scar from a maglight just for being in the right place at the wrong time.... And awakening in a pool of blood). But the downright distortions and lack of coherency makes me neutral at best, and that is now stretched to incredulity with what's happening in Charlotte.
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 1:02:54 AM

Thanks for clarifying! :)
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 1:29:10 AM

Took the words straight out of my mouth, you word thief.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 2:47:19 AM
As a black man, one of the many problems I have with BLM is their 13 Guiding principles include support for everybody except the Black man. The fact that BLM was started by lesbians is obvious; they mention their support for women, children, transgender, and the closest thing to a man they mention support for are the queers. They also specifically mention their desire to dismantle the nuclear family. I believe the biggest problem black people face today is the break down of the black family. Too many men are neglecting their children forcing young boys to be raised without a father figure; this is a major problem in the Black community. There are countless studies that show children do better when they are raised with a mother and a father, and Black Lives Matter specifically mention their desire to destroy that.
Yeah they will act up when a cop shoots a black man, they know black men will come out in droves to support their cause and they need the "boots on the ground" to advance their cause. Most of the Black men I've spoken to that support BLM were unaware of this.

http://blacklivesmatter.com...

Ken
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 2:50:15 AM

They ran Bernie Sanders off his own stage with threats, then took over his rally? And...their cofounder is a radical Muslim.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 2:51:55 AM
BLM takes over Sanders' rally

(Video footage)

"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

Beisht_Kione
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 9:16:15 AM

This isn't a conservative issue. This is a reality issue.
https://youtu.be...
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 9:51:38 AM

It's strange how so many people, in this thread and the one you linked, agree with you - yet in other threads reject the racial aspect of 'police misconduct' which you seem to point out in your first paragraph.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 11:10:28 AM
-Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman is an NFL star. And he made it clear, he wants NOTHING to do with the Black Lives Matter movement" especially their more violent members.

did not believe this when I heard about it. I watched your videos. I started a life in the gehto [sic]. I banged like a fool till I woke up. I was not suppressed by any man or woman, white or black.

I worked myself up from Compton High School to a scholarship at Standford University and I did it myself. I take pride in what I have accomplished both as a black man, and an athlete. I could have stayed in LA and banged and used drugs and thought that it was all the white mans fault [sic]. But that would be a lie. We are who we want to be, that is what is great about america [sic]. We are all born with the same chances in life..white or black"YOU choose to be a woman-abusing racist loudmouth. I would love to debate you on national tv [sic]. And if you condone senseless black shootings of whites and police officers, you better make that a debate on Springer, so I can bitchslap your ignorant as*!

You are what is keeping and making the black race look bad. Wake up fool. Do not glorify this half a man, he has worked for nothing. He chose to keep himself where he is, not the white people. It is time to take responsibility for your own actions, and not act like a stinking fool. Kids and young black men and women look at this site, and believe that they are abused. That is a bold-faced lie.

It is out of the mouths of cheap thugs like you that are hurting our young and taking away the chances they have to make themselves a productive part of society. Brothers and sisters: the only slavery in america now is the one you put yourself into Rise up like Doctor King as taught us, and be a real human being [sic]. We are all in this together white and black. Peace to all and I hope this stupid fake hate stops real soon. We are all brothers and sisters. Do not be fooled by the tyranny of evil men like this lift yourself up educate yourselves and work hard for a good life [sic]. No one owes you anything stand proud as a person of color , and do something meaningful with your life [sic]. I did and I am the best at what I do! Peace out, R Sherman."

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com...

Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 11:17:41 AM
At 9/23/2016 11:10:28 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
-Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman is an NFL star. And he made it clear, he wants NOTHING to do with the Black Lives Matter movement" especially their more violent members.

did not believe this when I heard about it. I watched your videos. I started a life in the gehto [sic]. I banged like a fool till I woke up. I was not suppressed by any man or woman, white or black.

I worked myself up from Compton High School to a scholarship at Standford University and I did it myself. I take pride in what I have accomplished both as a black man, and an athlete. I could have stayed in LA and banged and used drugs and thought that it was all the white mans fault [sic]. But that would be a lie. We are who we want to be, that is what is great about america [sic]. We are all born with the same chances in life..white or black"YOU choose to be a woman-abusing racist loudmouth. I would love to debate you on national tv [sic]. And if you condone senseless black shootings of whites and police officers, you better make that a debate on Springer, so I can bitchslap your ignorant as*!

You are what is keeping and making the black race look bad. Wake up fool. Do not glorify this half a man, he has worked for nothing. He chose to keep himself where he is, not the white people. It is time to take responsibility for your own actions, and not act like a stinking fool. Kids and young black men and women look at this site, and believe that they are abused. That is a bold-faced lie.

It is out of the mouths of cheap thugs like you that are hurting our young and taking away the chances they have to make themselves a productive part of society. Brothers and sisters: the only slavery in america now is the one you put yourself into Rise up like Doctor King as taught us, and be a real human being [sic]. We are all in this together white and black. Peace to all and I hope this stupid fake hate stops real soon. We are all brothers and sisters. Do not be fooled by the tyranny of evil men like this lift yourself up educate yourselves and work hard for a good life [sic]. No one owes you anything stand proud as a person of color , and do something meaningful with your life [sic]. I did and I am the best at what I do! Peace out, R Sherman."

It will fall on deaf ears just as kens words earlier in this thread did. It is unfortunate.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 2:44:12 PM
At 9/23/2016 11:17:41 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

It will fall on deaf ears just as kens words earlier in this thread did. It is unfortunate.

you know it, he's be called all sorts of things to deny him that he is black, they will try to separate and alienate him from the black community, just like they do to all the black non liberals.
blm has done or caused, directly or indirectly far more harm than good for those they are trying to speak for.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:01:37 PM
At 9/23/2016 9:51:38 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

It's strange how so many people, in this thread and the one you linked, agree with you - yet in other threads reject the racial aspect of 'police misconduct' which you seem to point out in your first paragraph.

That's due to one of the problems that I pointed out: the lying and tolerance for lying. Watching these people descend into groupthink absurdity over Michael Brown being a gentle giant while being humored by society at large has made a huge group of people see this subject as a figment of an overactive black imagination.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:08:57 PM
At 9/23/2016 3:01:37 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

That's due to one of the problems that I pointed out: the lying and tolerance for lying. Watching these people descend into groupthink absurdity over Michael Brown being a gentle giant while being humored by society at large has made a huge group of people see this subject as a figment of an overactive black imagination.

yep hands up, except not, no gun had a book, not, the blinders are glued to their heads otherwise long ago they would have realized all the finger pointing and blame game has gotten them no were, yet their behavior and approach hasn't changed.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 5:05:07 PM

They were denying it long before Ferguson.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 5:09:59 PM

Is he still your hero now?

"But I"m not going to answer any questions today, and it"s no offense to you guys. But I think the state of things in the world today is very interesting. I think you have players that are trying to take a stand and trying to be aware of social issue and try to make a stand and increase people"s awareness and put a spotlight on it and they"re being ignored. Whether they"re taking a knee or whether they"re locking arms, they"re trying to bring people together and unite them for a cause. I think the last couple days, a couple more guys have gotten shot and killed in the middle of the street. And more videos have come out of guys getting killed, and I think people are still missing the point. The reason these guys are kneeling, the reason we"re locking arms is to bring people together " to make people aware that this is not right. It"s not right for people to get killed in the street.

"I do a lot of community service. I go out there and try to help kids and try to encourage them to be better and to aspire to more. And when you tell a kid, "When you"re dealing with police, just put your hands up and comply with everything." And there"s still a chance of them getting shot and no repercussions for anyone, that"s an unfortunate time to be living. It"s an unfortunate place to be in. There"s not a lot you can tell a kid. There"s not a lot you can try to inspire a person when you say, "We need black fathers to be in the community to stay there for your kids," but they"re getting killed in the street for nothing, for putting their hands on their cars. And I think that"s the unfortunate part, that"s the unfortunate place that we"re living in. And something needs to be done. And so when a guy takes a knee, you can ignore it. You can say, "He"s not being patriotic, he"s not honoring the flag." I"m doing none of those things. I"m saying " straight up " this is wrong, and we need to do something. So thank you guys, have a blessed day."

http://ftw.usatoday.com...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 5:19:08 PM
At 9/23/2016 5:09:59 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Is he still your hero now?

"But I"m not going to answer any questions today, and it"s no offense to you guys. But I think the state of things in the world today is very interesting. I think you have players that are trying to take a stand and trying to be aware of social issue and try to make a stand and increase people"s awareness and put a spotlight on it and they"re being ignored. Whether they"re taking a knee or whether they"re locking arms, they"re trying to bring people together and unite them for a cause. I think the last couple days, a couple more guys have gotten shot and killed in the middle of the street. And more videos have come out of guys getting killed, and I think people are still missing the point. The reason these guys are kneeling, the reason we"re locking arms is to bring people together " to make people aware that this is not right. It"s not right for people to get killed in the street.

"I do a lot of community service. I go out there and try to help kids and try to encourage them to be better and to aspire to more. And when you tell a kid, "When you"re dealing with police, just put your hands up and comply with everything." And there"s still a chance of them getting shot and no repercussions for anyone, that"s an unfortunate time to be living. It"s an unfortunate place to be in. There"s not a lot you can tell a kid. There"s not a lot you can try to inspire a person when you say, "We need black fathers to be in the community to stay there for your kids," but they"re getting killed in the street for nothing, for putting their hands on their cars. And I think that"s the unfortunate part, that"s the unfortunate place that we"re living in. And something needs to be done. And so when a guy takes a knee, you can ignore it. You can say, "He"s not being patriotic, he"s not honoring the flag." I"m doing none of those things. I"m saying " straight up " this is wrong, and we need to do something. So thank you guys, have a blessed day."

http://ftw.usatoday.com...

Do something... You mean like let due process prove innocent or guilt just as it does for the rest of us? Or should there be special tribunals for police officers under investigation for abuse of power?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 5:46:05 PM

How would you go about showing people like YYW that despite bad PR that there is legitimate racial bias against black in society that has invariable effected them in a negative way - contributing to self regulating cycles of poverty and degradation?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 5:51:06 PM
At 9/23/2016 5:05:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Most white people do not deny that police abuse their power, or that that abuse has some degree of racial bias involved. They do disagree as to the extent of that bias and whether or not it's justified, and they disagree about what to do about it. This scepticism often leads to confrontations instead of conversations, and eventually to an 'us versus them' mentality which actually foments blind loyalty to the police and a racial animus towards black people.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 6:08:52 PM
At 9/23/2016 5:51:06 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 9/23/2016 5:05:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Most white people do not deny that police abuse their power, or that that abuse has some degree of racial bias involved. They do disagree as to the extent of that bias and whether or not it's justified, and they disagree about what to do about it. This scepticism often leads to confrontations instead of conversations, and eventually to an 'us versus them' mentality which actually foments blind loyalty to the police and a racial animus towards black people.

I love when whitey accuses whitey of not acknowledging or understanding things because it makes them 'uncomfortable'.

There is only 1 true resolution and that is due process. Unfortunately, while people demand it for themselves, they often want it truncated for others.

And, unfortunately, due process does not always lead to the resolution that many want.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 6:13:05 PM

The problem is that even though many, if not the majority, of BLM members practice peaceful methods of protest, many BLM excuse their destruction of property, reverse racism, and the shooting of cops as just protest. Even if most members don't, since their actions are the most outspoken (and criminal) that's the message that the organization portrays. To compound the problem, the central organization does virtually nothing to curb the violent protesters.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 8:44:45 PM
At 9/23/2016 6:13:05 PM, Sam7411 wrote:

The problem is that even though many, if not the majority, of BLM members practice peaceful methods of protest, many BLM excuse their destruction of property, reverse racism, and the shooting of cops as just protest. Even if most members don't, since their actions are the most outspoken (and criminal) that's the message that the organization portrays. To compound the problem, the central organization does virtually nothing to curb the violent protesters.

that is true you don't see them condemning it or turning in the criminals that did it, maybe they do, but you sure don't see it.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 9:03:00 PM
If I weren't so anti-government in regards to privacy and surveillance of the populace, I'd almost advocate drone usage domestically, helping identify the idiots in protests to weed them out. I never want the right to assembly infringed upon... Yet the bottle throwers and agitators have a way of screwing it up for those who have a right to protest, peacefully.

Thankfully they have made an arrest on an individual alleged to be the idiot firing indiscriminately into the crowd in Charlotte... And the man hit has sense died.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 10:34:38 PM
At 9/23/2016 5:46:05 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

How would you go about showing people like YYW that despite bad PR that there is legitimate racial bias against black in society that has invariable effected them in a negative way - contributing to self regulating cycles of poverty and degradation?

That has a complicated answer that wraps in to larger social ills, tied to modern decadence and the widespread abandonment of virtue cultivation (usually tied to the decline of religious influence). In many ways, the white community has a bigger problem with this than the black community, as they've been more susceptible to corrosive materialist influence. The black community has built in defense mechanisms; they have a more pronounced tendency to circle the wagons and assist their own people. That's why black spirituality is particularly difficult for modernity to erode, though it does not enjoy total immunity.

Basically, you need a common cultural framework to even have that conversation. In MLK's day, that framework was Christianity, a framework which no longer really exists. The dialogue has degraded to a materialist one, as anything that follows so-called 'progressive' edicts is wont to do, and the modern conversation about race has more to do with science and statistics than justice and virtue. The former will just lead to alienation and a sense of superiority, while the latter has the potential to build common ground and real communities.

Sadly, the fault falls mostly at white people's feet, as they've lost the ability to speak in religious or moral terms. And BLM isn't speaking in those terms either (partly because it falls on deaf ears), they're just venting frustration and trying to tie it into a progressive agenda which is ultimately impotent.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Grizzly-Jones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 10:45:17 PM

They had a good message, but all they do is burn cars, and loot stores. They really are bad at protesting. They aren't really doing any justice to their movement either, when they commit crime.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 11:35:09 PM

The fact that they act like gangsters. If they were white you'd want to punch them in the face. But...they aren't white so your manhood magically shrivels up.

Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 11:42:34 PM
At 9/23/2016 11:35:09 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

The fact that they act like gangsters. If they were white you'd want to punch them in the face. But...they aren't white so your manhood magically shrivels up.

That is a good one... Haven't heard a disparaging comment like 'tea-bagger ' yet. I'll have to come up with one myself.

Jihad!!!! (Actually I changed my fantasy football teams name to the jihadis just to piss people off a couple of years ago). Being that I've been on the convoys to ramadi, I think I earned that right.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 12:12:31 AM
At 9/23/2016 11:42:34 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/23/2016 11:35:09 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

That is a good one... Haven't heard a disparaging comment like 'tea-bagger ' yet. I'll have to come up with one myself.

Jihad!!!! (Actually I changed my fantasy football teams name to the jihadis just to piss people off a couple of years ago). Being that I've been on the convoys to ramadi, I think I earned that right.

+1

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 12:28:17 AM
At 9/23/2016 10:34:38 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

That has a complicated answer that wraps in to larger social ills, tied to modern decadence and the widespread abandonment of virtue cultivation (usually tied to the decline of religious influence).

As an athiest I think you can appreciate the fact that morality and religion are not mutually exclusive. Besides irreligion what else do you think contributes to the decline of 'virtue cultivation'?

In many ways, the white community has a bigger problem with this than the black community, as they've been more susceptible to corrosive materialist influence. The black community has built in defense mechanisms; they have a more pronounced tendency to circle the wagons and assist their own people. That's why black spirituality is particularly difficult for modernity to erode, though it does not enjoy total immunity.

Basically, you need a common cultural framework to even have that conversation. In MLK's day, that framework was Christianity, a framework which no longer really exists. The dialogue has degraded to a materialist one, as anything that follows so-called 'progressive' edicts is wont to do ...

What do you mean by this? Why does progressivism have to 'degrade' to materialism? The idea of wanted universal healthcare and education is more humanist than material.

... and the modern conversation about race has more to do with science and statistics than justice and virtue. The former will just lead to alienation and a sense of superiority, while the latter has the potential to build common ground and real communities.

Well it's the science and stats that illustrates the injustice to others prompting calls for justice. But people like YYW and conservatives reject the science and decades of consistent testimony of injustice.

Sadly, the fault falls mostly at white people's feet, as they've lost the ability to speak in religious or moral terms. And BLM isn't speaking in those terms either (partly because it falls on deaf ears), they're just venting frustration and trying to tie it into a progressive agenda which is ultimately impotent.

It sounds like white people prefer to subscribe to the independent values of libertarianism in contrast to the collective values of progressivism.