Jump to topic:

How "The Wall" would benefit Mexico

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:26:10 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I'm referring here to any mechanism that prevents people from crossing the US-Mexico border illegally, not necessarily a literal wall as Donald Trump has proposed.

1. Mexico has relatively strict gun laws. The U.S. has loose gun laws. However, because of the open border, guns flow across it from the U.S. into Mexico, arming the drug cartels and fueling the Mexican Drug War.
2. At least to some extent, illegal immigration from Mexico to the US serves as a brain drain on our neighbour to the south. Not all illegals are low-skilled and poorly-educated; some percentage of them comprise Mexico's best and brightest, leaving the country and taking their valuable skills with then.
3. The open border serves as a "pressure valve" for Mexico; it doesn't have to fix its dire economic problems because the people who are in a bind will simply cross the border into the United States. If the border closes, the government will be forced to fix the economic problems that plague their country.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:31:39 PM
At 9/23/2016 3:26:10 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I'm referring here to any mechanism that prevents people from crossing the US-Mexico border illegally, not necessarily a literal wall as Donald Trump has proposed.

1. Mexico has relatively strict gun laws. The U.S. has loose gun laws. However, because of the open border, guns flow across it from the U.S. into Mexico, arming the drug cartels and fueling the Mexican Drug War.
2. At least to some extent, illegal immigration from Mexico to the US serves as a brain drain on our neighbour to the south. Not all illegals are low-skilled and poorly-educated; some percentage of them comprise Mexico's best and brightest, leaving the country and taking their valuable skills with then.
3. The open border serves as a "pressure valve" for Mexico; it doesn't have to fix its dire economic problems because the people who are in a bind will simply cross the border into the United States. If the border closes, the government will be forced to fix the economic problems that plague their country.

All reasonable points.

The problem with Trumps plan is - its not a plan at all. Its an appeal to emotion. Better tech at the boarder is the way to go, not a moronic wall.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:41:18 PM
At 9/23/2016 3:31:39 PM, TBR wrote:

All reasonable points.

The problem with Trumps plan is - its not a plan at all. Its an appeal to emotion. Better tech at the boarder is the way to go, not a moronic wall.

I think that a system of drones patrolling the border would be far cheaper and far more efficient than a Great Wall of Trump.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:42:09 PM

Makes one wonder why they haven't already built a wall.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:44:18 PM

All reasonable points.

Better tech is the way to go, agreed, far more effective, the great wall of China may have worked for it's time, or the Berlin wall, but there's no real way to "upgrade" those, tech yes, as better technology comes along it will be more effective, bottom line is Mexico needs to clean up it's country so people don't feel they need to risk their very lives to flee, but that's something different.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:44:35 PM
At 9/23/2016 3:42:09 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Because it would hurt them because remittances make up a larger share of their revenue than oil... http://www.forbes.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:44:36 PM
At 9/23/2016 3:41:18 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

All reasonable points.

I think that a system of drones patrolling the border would be far cheaper and far more efficient than a Great Wall of Trump.

Agreed.

Look. Tech only improves, and adjusts quickly to changing situations. Walls are unable to change in any way other than disintegrate.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:46:55 PM
At 9/23/2016 3:44:18 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

All reasonable points.

Better tech is the way to go, agreed, far more effective, the great wall of China may have worked for it's time, or the Berlin wall, but there's no real way to "upgrade" those, tech yes, as better technology comes along it will be more effective, bottom line is Mexico needs to clean up it's country so people don't feel they need to risk their very lives to flee, but that's something different.

I actually think a combination of the two is a way to go. You need a border fence--I did a debate on it you can see if you want to see how it would be built--is important for slowing them down. Drones simply allow us to see them. The fence would allow us to intercept them where the drone flags a crossing. I think both are needed.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:47:10 PM
At 9/23/2016 3:44:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Because it would hurt them because remittances make up a larger share of their revenue than oil... http://www.forbes.com...

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Casual observation with regards to a porous border between the two countries is enough to prompt the idea that perhaps a wall is not in Mexico's best interest.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:49:53 PM
At 9/23/2016 3:46:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/23/2016 3:44:18 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

All reasonable points.

I actually think a combination of the two is a way to go. You need a border fence--I did a debate on it you can see if you want to see how it would be built--is important for slowing them down. Drones simply allow us to see them. The fence would allow us to intercept them where the drone flags a crossing. I think both are needed.

yes there would need to be a physical barrier, tech not just limited to drones, I don't see drones all the useful with this.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:51:46 PM
At 9/23/2016 3:47:10 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/23/2016 3:44:35 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Casual observation with regards to a porous border between the two countries is enough to prompt the idea that perhaps a wall is not in Mexico's best interest.

let's not forget the bribe money from the drug cartels, that above all else is why Mexico isn't doing anything to help or even cares.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 4:57:17 PM

Yeah, the pressure valve option is why the more corrupt Mexican officials are not in any hurry to address the border crisis. It's in the long term interests of the common people to fix it, but they understandably aren't thinking in the long term right now (Maslow and all that jazz).
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 6:31:41 PM
I think these are all really interesting points. I simply do not get why the Left is so resistant against the idea of building a border wall other than (1) Trump is lobbying for it so it must be condemned (2) it would interfere with the Left's plan of importing pro-democratic voting blocs to help politically long term, in which case their pretense of concern for the poor, blighted Mexicans is nothing but a hoax.
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 7:10:51 PM

All reasonable points.

In addition, seismic activity equipment should be installed to detect any tunnelers
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 8:49:08 PM
At 9/23/2016 7:10:51 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

All reasonable points.

In addition, seismic activity equipment should be installed to detect any tunnelers

they gather up a big group, they all run towards the border knowing some will get caught but not all, now do this in multiple locations miles away, the man power we just don't have, make smaller and more groups, drones not that useful without reducing the places they can come in.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 8:58:08 PM

Quit making sense Vox. We'll have none of that here on DDO.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 2:52:39 AM
At 9/23/2016 6:31:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
I think these are all really interesting points. I simply do not get why the Left is so resistant against the idea of building a border wall other than (1) Trump is lobbying for it so it must be condemned (2) it would interfere with the Left's plan of importing pro-democratic voting blocs to help politically long term, in which case their pretense of concern for the poor, blighted Mexicans is nothing but a hoax.

For the same reason that the right generally opposes good foreign policy: virtue signalling to other members of the larger group. It really should be the most common sense, obvious solution in the world, but it's been turned into a meme. I think that a lot of liberals (and Americans in general) are also generally completely ignorant of Mexican politics. The fact that they were under one-party rule for 71 years never enters into conversation, nor does the fact that said party often had a cozy relationship with cartels.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -