Jump to topic:

Trump: I Never said Global Warming was a Hoax

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 9:02:46 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Yea, he totally did say it was a hoax. https://np.reddit.com...

I know, I know, Trump caught in another schizophrenic lie, how boring. I'm now just waiting for him to tell us he was never involved in the birther movement and that he's not the anti-christ.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 10:26:47 AM
At 9/27/2016 9:02:46 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

I know, I know, Trump caught in another schizophrenic lie, how boring. I'm now just waiting for him to tell us he was never involved in the birther movement and that he's not the anti-christ.

I was under sniper fire in Bosnia. How about you
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 10:29:45 AM
But we know someone who was under sniper fire...

"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 10:31:56 AM
So let's look at Clinton's answers about the email scandal vs the truth...

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 10:33:17 AM

Thirdly...you don't believe in "the antichrist." Orwellian Double think much?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 10:35:23 AM
-Doublethink is the ability to hold two contradictory opinions at the same time without noticing the contradiction. It also refers to the mind trick to accept the changes to history made by the Party, and in accepting them, forgetting that the mind trick was ever performed, and then forgetting the forgetting, etc.

http://www.urbandictionary.com...

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 1:42:50 PM
At 9/27/2016 10:35:23 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
-Doublethink is the ability to hold two contradictory opinions at the same time without noticing the contradiction. It also refers to the mind trick to accept the changes to history made by the Party, and in accepting them, forgetting that the mind trick was ever performed, and then forgetting the forgetting, etc.

Here is the fundamental problem, I don't see people defending the lies Clinton has been caught in to the degree you and Trump supporters defend his multitude of lies.

Just own up to the fact that the candidate you are exuberantly supporting is an opportunist and tells tremendous lies in his day to day dealings with people.

Clinton has lied and really doesn't have integrity which can be counted on. I may still vote for her because she is the best option the f'ing voting people in the primaries gave me.

OK, now you try.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 1:58:29 PM
At 9/27/2016 10:26:47 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

I was under sniper fire in Bosnia. How about you

But Hillary endorses all the right doctrines, so it doesn't matter if she lies. Seriously - the left has its shibboleths - abortion, windmills, racism, evolution, to name a few. The point is not whether they make sense or not, it is more like they are initiation rights. If you want to be part of the club, this is what you believe, end of story.

So it's not really about what either side says. The left is surprised that nobody cares what the Donald says, but the left has been saying idiotic things for so long that idiocy is the new smart. It's just pure tribalism at this point, and the issues are just war chants.
This space for rent.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 2:15:00 PM
At 9/27/2016 1:42:50 PM, slo1 wrote:

Here is the fundamental problem, I don't see people defending the lies Clinton has been caught in to the degree you and Trump supporters defend his multitude of lies.

Just own up to the fact that the candidate you are exuberantly supporting is an opportunist and tells tremendous lies in his day to day dealings with people.

Clinton has lied and really doesn't have integrity which can be counted on. I may still vote for her because she is the best option the f'ing voting people in the primaries gave me.

OK, now you try.

I don't disagree with your point about trumps lies and his defenders. But your point (whether your opinion or not) about Hillary's supporters and not defending her lies... They just blindly accept and ignore. Isn't that just as bad?

Basically, how one can support either boggles me. If they lean one way because they absolutely despise the other way, I inderstand but I've never been a protest voter.

Ignoring and accepting one candidates mistruths is equally as bad as defending ones candidates mistruths.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 2:24:25 PM
At 9/27/2016 2:15:00 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

OK, now you try.

I don't disagree with your point about trumps lies and his defenders. But your point (whether your opinion or not) about Hillary's supporters and not defending her lies... They just blindly accept and ignore. Isn't that just as bad?

Basically, how one can support either boggles me. If they lean one way because they absolutely despise the other way, I inderstand but I've never been a protest voter.

Ignoring and accepting one candidates mistruths is equally as bad as defending ones candidates mistruths.

I didn't ignore Hillary's mistruths. She is a liar and should not be trusted.

Donald Rumsfeld one famously said that you go to war with the army you have. Primary voters didn't listen to me and gave the two candidates we have before us. Add in Green and Libertarian and there are 4 candidates. You go to vote with the candidates you have. There are very big policy and capability differences between the 4 candidates.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing the best candidate, warts and all out of the 4.

There is something wrong with choosing apathy.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 2:33:44 PM

OK, now you try.

the fact that all candidate(s) people exuberantly support are opportunist and they tell tremendous lies in their day to day dealings with people.
don't see any benefit to the "he said, she said"
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 2:38:19 PM
So both candidates lie. I'm not defending Trump's lies, but the severity of his lies are incomparable to Hillary's lies. A few examples:

Iraq War - Trump was first somewhat for it (Howard Stern show) then shortly after denounced it (Cavuto, Hannity, etc). He was a business man at the time, and his opinion didn't really matter. Clinton was a seasoned politician and a NY Senator who voted for the war. Their level of "support" was hardly the same. Her support for the war (while I don't really fault her for it) is much worse than his supposed support for it.

Global Warming - Who cares if Trump thinks it's a hoax or not? Most Republicans don't support global warming/climate change initiatives. Is this really news worthy? Especially when compared to....

Hillary's Emails - So while Trump may lie about global warming being a hoax or not, Clinton lies about sending and receiving classified email over a personal server. Again, these are hardly comparable in terms of severity.

Birtherism - Again, really not important, and the polls show that hardly anyone cares about this issue. They are both lying about it to a degree.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 2:49:26 PM
At 9/27/2016 2:33:44 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

OK, now you try.

the fact that all candidate(s) people exuberantly support are opportunist and they tell tremendous lies in their day to day dealings with people.

Well there are various degrees of lying and lies. There can be tremendous value to evaluating quantity, quality, and context of when used.

A lie can be used to cover up something.
A lie can be used to inflate ego
A lie can stem from ignorance. Generally we wouldn't call that a lie but there is an element of ignorance coupled with cocksureness that is similar to lying. Maybe the lie is that I'm suppressing an inner belief that I really don't know.

But fundamentally you are right. If there are not large differences in quantity of lying, it is more important to extrapolate policy and capability differences.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 2:54:17 PM
At 9/27/2016 2:38:19 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
So both candidates lie. I'm not defending Trump's lies, but the severity of his lies are incomparable to Hillary's lies. A few examples:

Iraq War - Trump was first somewhat for it (Howard Stern show) then shortly after denounced it (Cavuto, Hannity, etc). He was a business man at the time, and his opinion didn't really matter. Clinton was a seasoned politician and a NY Senator who voted for the war. Their level of "support" was hardly the same. Her support for the war (while I don't really fault her for it) is much worse than his supposed support for it.

Global Warming - Who cares if Trump thinks it's a hoax or not? Most Republicans don't support global warming/climate change initiatives. Is this really news worthy? Especially when compared to....

Hillary's Emails - So while Trump may lie about global warming being a hoax or not, Clinton lies about sending and receiving classified email over a personal server. Again, these are hardly comparable in terms of severity.

Birtherism - Again, really not important, and the polls show that hardly anyone cares about this issue. They are both lying about it to a degree.

Yeah, I agree. And it's a "do" vs. "say" thing. Trump has indeed said some wacky stuff, but he obviously doesn't run his business in a wacky way. Now, protectionism may be bad idea, but that's another story, one that the opposition is oddly silent about.

And on Hillary's side, if you lie all the time, it ceases to matter what you say. So you've got one candidate who says odd stuff sometimes, and one candidate where it's pretty irrelevant what she says. With HIllary we pretty much know we'll get the same old leftward drift with ever increasing incompetence and corruption. With the Donald we'll either make America great again, and/or have some really interesting times. I say it's worth a shot. So it's drive off the cliff slowly (with Hillary) or worst case we go off the cliff more quickly with Trump. But that's actually pretty unlikely because of the vast bureaucracy that really runs America. The more likely failure mode with Trump is that he can't get anything done and he's the same old same old as well.
This space for rent.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 3:04:25 PM
At 9/27/2016 2:49:26 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 9/27/2016 2:33:44 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

OK, now you try.

Well there are various degrees of lying and lies. There can be tremendous value to evaluating quantity, quality, and context of when used.

A lie can be used to cover up something.
A lie can be used to inflate ego
A lie can stem from ignorance. Generally we wouldn't call that a lie but there is an element of ignorance coupled with cocksureness that is similar to lying. Maybe the lie is that I'm suppressing an inner belief that I really don't know.

But fundamentally you are right. If there are not large differences in quantity of lying, it is more important to extrapolate policy and capability differences.

that's true I guess I was trying to be kind by speaking in general terms with regards to threads like this, it just ends up being a pissing match.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 4:25:39 PM

OK, now you try.

Chinagate. You want the sequal?

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 6:25:13 PM
At 9/27/2016 2:38:19 PM, RookieApologist wrote:

It's not the severity of the lies, it the fact that supporters are willing to believe those lies. Democrats don't believe Clinton's lies about Bosnia and the emails and other stuff like that and won't defend them. Trump can tell obvious lies about birtherism, and things he may or may not support at any given time and his supporters will believe it w/o question.

You really have to understand that choosing to believe a lie, and frankly at this point it is a choice (especially on birtherism), reflects a lot worse on Trump supporters than Clinton supporters who know she lies yet still vote for her. Trump is just that bad.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 6:28:48 PM
At 9/27/2016 1:58:29 PM, v3nesl wrote:

But Trump endorses all the right doctrines, so it doesn't matter if he lies. Seriously - the right has its shibboleths - anti-abortion, oil/coal, racism, Jesus, to name a few. The point is not whether they make sense or not, it is more like they are initiation rights. If you want to be part of the club, this is what you believe, end of story.

So it's not really about what either side says. The left is surprised that nobody cares what the Donald says, the right has been saying idiotic things for so long that idiocy is the new smart. It's just pure tribalism at this point, and the issues are just war chants.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 6:42:19 PM

I think most Americans are at the point where they are just apathetic here.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 6:51:13 PM
At 9/27/2016 4:25:39 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

OK, now you try.

Chinagate. You want the sequal?

I prefer the squeal. Oink oink.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 6:59:29 PM
At 9/27/2016 6:28:48 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

But Trump endorses all the right doctrines, so it doesn't matter if he lies. Seriously - the right has its shibboleths - anti-abortion, oil/coal, racism, Jesus, to name a few. The point is not whether they make sense or not, it is more like they are initiation rights. If you want to be part of the club, this is what you believe, end of story.

So it's not really about what either side says. The left is surprised that nobody cares what the Donald says, the right has been saying idiotic things for so long that idiocy is the new smart. It's just pure tribalism at this point, and the issues are just war chants.

agreed
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 7:13:53 PM
I guess he could fall back on the claim that while he recognizes that global warming is technically true, it's played up by the Chinese to undermine American manufacturing or something like that.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 7:15:57 PM
It really just doesn't make any sense though. Western scientists are responsible for the concept and for its influence over policy.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 7:23:25 PM
At 9/27/2016 7:15:57 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
It really just doesn't make any sense though. Western scientists are responsible for the concept and for its influence over policy.

or is it....? hmm maybe they are Chinese spy's or sympathizers, perhaps they have been bought by the Chinese, maybe Russia through China.....Maybe aliens have implanted their brains with thought control devises so we can change the climate to their needs!!!!! Quick put on your tin foil hats!!!

but yeah China doesn't care, look at their smog problem in their cities, they aren't exactly environmentalist.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 7:28:35 PM
At 9/27/2016 7:23:25 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

or is it....? hmm maybe they are Chinese spy's or sympathizers, perhaps they have been bought by the Chinese, maybe Russia through China.....Maybe aliens have implanted their brains with thought control devises so we can change the climate to their needs!!!!! Quick put on your tin foil hats!!!

but yeah China doesn't care, look at their smog problem in their cities, they aren't exactly environmentalist.

Yeah, and maybe Trump doesn't know what he's talking about. Which do you find more plausible?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 7:30:27 PM
At 9/27/2016 7:28:35 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Yeah, and maybe Trump doesn't know what he's talking about. Which do you find more plausible?

honestly I don't care, it's not an issue for me, we should keep our air and planet clean, that's all, don't need scientist to tell me that.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 7:32:27 PM
At 9/27/2016 7:30:27 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

honestly I don't care, it's not an issue for me, we should keep our air and planet clean, that's all, don't need scientist to tell me that.

Yeah, but you might need scientists to tell you how the earth is being polluted, and what could be done to reverse it.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 7:35:03 PM
At 9/27/2016 6:28:48 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

So it's not really about what either side says.

Right, so there's no need for the cutesy attempt at moral equivalence. But of course the moral equivalence thing is a lefty technique, and bogus and silly in this case. Trump's appeal is NOT in pledging allegiance to the authorized doctrines. He was a democrat until recently, for Pete's sake. His appeal is to common sense - enforcing laws, including immigration laws, putting American citizen interests first, and so on. Trump's success comes from two facts of 21st century America - the intellectual breakdown of the left and the cowardice of the GOP. Which he counters with common sense and bravado, respectively.
This space for rent.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 7:40:29 PM
At 9/27/2016 7:32:27 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Yeah, but you might need scientists to tell you how the earth is being polluted, and what could be done to reverse it.

um, if you think so, Los Angeles has had a pollution problem for a very long time, my common sense tell me a big part is cars, you give these scientist way too much credit, when did acid rain stop being a problem? How many people even remember what it is? But now we have to worry about climate change, give me a break.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 7:42:04 PM
At 9/27/2016 7:32:27 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

But that's not what scientists are doing with 'climate change'. So he's right - the emphasis should be on pollution, not CO2. True environmentalists might want to join the common sense crowd, because I think climate change religion may be a net distraction from useful science. For the Europeans climate change is a giant make-work project, so it's useful for them, but for the US it's just a big waste of time.
This space for rent.