Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

Civil liberties being over national security?

NKondakoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 2:08:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Having to attend a debate competition, my team and I are in the search of other people's opinions. Our topic is: "A just government ought to prioritize civil liberties over national security." We have done part of our research, but we need some more help. I believe you, ladies and gentlemen, can help us. We need any points you have, any examples, any sources (please, do state your sources, maybe even provide a link in there). Everything that you do will be appreciated.
Please, try not to repeat what others already said, and if you want to expand on the topic, do so as an answer to the post with that point. Thank you!
I would like to enlighten you a little bit about some of the things we have done so far. We don't know if we are arguing for or against the statement above, so we have to be prepared for both. We have a couple of examples where national security has been prioritized by the government over civil liberties, such as China, North Korea, the Soviet Union. We are taking into consideration the power of the Trump factor argument - the straying from Mexicans, and the racial profiling, plus the Trump Mexican wall. And we know about the ongoing arguments about the religious freedom, and liberty of speech. We all know about the "Burqa or no" debate, and the Charlie Hebdo both insulting, but truthful cartoons.
If you have any more information about these points, or would like to share another point of view, please share them with us.

That's all for now, I'll update you if anything happens, and we need to get the information before the start of November, if possible (due date is Nov 14).
Thank you beforehand!!!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:38:22 PM
At 9/29/2016 2:08:34 PM, NKondakoff wrote:
Having to attend a debate competition, my team and I are in the search of other people's opinions. Our topic is: "A just government ought to prioritize civil liberties over national security." We have done part of our research, but we need some more help. I believe you, ladies and gentlemen, can help us. We need any points you have, any examples, any sources (please, do state your sources, maybe even provide a link in there). Everything that you do will be appreciated.
Please, try not to repeat what others already said, and if you want to expand on the topic, do so as an answer to the post with that point. Thank you!
I would like to enlighten you a little bit about some of the things we have done so far. We don't know if we are arguing for or against the statement above, so we have to be prepared for both. We have a couple of examples where national security has been prioritized by the government over civil liberties, such as China, North Korea, the Soviet Union. We are taking into consideration the power of the Trump factor argument - the straying from Mexicans, and the racial profiling, plus the Trump Mexican wall. And we know about the ongoing arguments about the religious freedom, and liberty of speech. We all know about the "Burqa or no" debate, and the Charlie Hebdo both insulting, but truthful cartoons.
If you have any more information about these points, or would like to share another point of view, please share them with us.

That's all for now, I'll update you if anything happens, and we need to get the information before the start of November, if possible (due date is Nov 14).
Thank you beforehand!!!

It depends on what said "civil liberties" are defined as. If civil liberties are defined as "the NSA doesn't have the right to surveillance me without a warrant", that's one thing. To say I can wear a burka to rob a bank as my religious freedom, then that is madness.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
BrandonLWY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 5:38:43 PM
At 9/29/2016 2:08:34 PM, NKondakoff wrote:

Thank you beforehand!!!

Civil liberty & National security

A big factor about civil liberty is that giving the citizens freedom of speech and other numerous rights appeal to most citizens of the world. China claims to be protecting most of these rights but this is untrue. A big example could be the banning of Facebook, Youtube, and Google in China. China does this in order to protect the country and their reputation, not wanting their citizens to rant online about their country. The CECC, Congressional-Executive Commission on China, states that the freedom of expression is not a right, but instead a privilege. In fact, the only ones that are allowed to criticize the doings of the Communist party are the senior members of the Communist party themselves.

National Security :
Let"s take a look at North Korea in status quo, North Korea classifies themselves as democratic, hence the name DPRK - Democratic People"s Republic of Korea. But of course, this is a huge case of irony if you look at the country"s political system right now. The country"s dictator, Kim Jong Un, is one of the biggest human right"s offender in the world. There are currently only 10 known labor camps in North Korea with the total of around 37,800 people in them. Kim Jong Un says that all of these labor camps do not violate any human rights but other factors say otherwise. According to Lee Soon-ok, a defector and former political prisoner of North Korea, she says that "I testify that most of the 6,000 prisoners who were there when I arrived in 1987 had quietly perished under the harsh prison conditions by the time I was released in 1992.". This shows the critical condition of human rights abuse in these labor camps in North Korea.
North Korea uses "nuclear weapons" as an excuse to keep themselves safe from other countries or threaten other countries.

The case on the Charlie Hebdo side is more related to extremist which are unable to tolerate any criticism or dishonor to their religion. I wouldn"t necessarily consider it a civil liberty or national security because it doesn"t relate to government, more on the side of a rebellion group.