Jump to topic:

American victim mentality

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:01:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
When I think of liberalism my thoughts go directly to the "victim mentality". Many times in dialogue with liberals, they find some wrong or perceived "injustice" to butt up against. I find this perplexing, perhaps because I was raised in other cultures that I compare the United States to. In most countries, there is no welfare system, no social security, no medicare or medicade, women are deemed as far inferior to men, minorities are brutally attacked, persecuted, and severely oppressed, and homosexuals are mocked and deemed as inferior 3rd class citizens. I have witnessed nothing comparable in the United States as a brown skinned immigrant with a foreign accent.

So the question is, what exactly are you a victim of and why?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:19:14 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:01:34 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
When I think of liberalism my thoughts go directly to the "victim mentality". Many times in dialogue with liberals, they find some wrong or perceived "injustice" to butt up against. I find this perplexing, perhaps because I was raised in other cultures that I compare the United States to. In most countries, there is no welfare system, no social security, no medicare or medicade, women are deemed as far inferior to men, minorities are brutally attacked, persecuted, and severely oppressed, and homosexuals are mocked and deemed as inferior 3rd class citizens. I have witnessed nothing comparable in the United States as a brown skinned immigrant with a foreign accent.

So the question is, what exactly are you a victim of and why?

I'm a victim of... only my poor choices in life.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:22:14 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:19:14 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

You don't think the poor choices of others effects you in any way?
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:25:10 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:22:14 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Whether they have a tangential effect on me is irrelevant. It doesn't make me a victim .
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:29:08 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:25:10 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Whether they have a tangential effect on me is irrelevant. It doesn't make me a victim .

If the word victim is the sticking point fine, but you can't deny the choices presented to you in your life are not in your control, and often in the control of others. Be it looking for a job, law enforcement ect. and their choices combined with your choices compound and culminate to where you are currently in life.

Bronto's argument tries to discount how the racist and sexist choices of others limits the choices of certain races and sexes.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:31:08 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:29:08 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

If the word victim is the sticking point fine, but you can't deny the choices presented to you in your life are not in your control, and often in the control of others. Be it looking for a job, law enforcement ect. and their choices combined with your choices compound and culminate to where you are currently in life.

Bronto's argument tries to discount how the racist and sexist choices of others limits the choices of certain races and sexes.

sure we all have limits, some are harder to over come than others, the choice is to be bound by these limits or over come them, choose to be the victim or not.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:31:23 PM

The word victim is loaded and should only be used for truly a victim... too many use it as an excuse. For me all responsibility lies with self.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:32:13 PM

Are you implying that men going first to the draft, typically being called to do the physical labor in the same job title, being expected to pay on dates, and being undateable if not a leader is sexist to men?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:33:53 PM

Are you implying that whites being killed by cops more than any other ethnicity is racism against caucasians?

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:35:47 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:32:13 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Are you implying that men going first to the draft, typically being called to do the physical labor in the same job title, being expected to pay on dates, and being undateable if not a leader is sexist to men?

The draft is forced conscription, so thats bad any way you look at it.

If it's the same job yet men are expected to do more then yes that's sexism.

Paying on dates is a cultural vestige from when women wern't allowed into high paying jobs so men had to pay for dates. As women get more high paying jobs this cultural practice should end. But getting laid is getting laid so I think men are willing to put up with it.

undatable if not a leader? I think you're projecting your own failings.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:36:42 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:33:53 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Are you implying that whites being killed by cops more than any other ethnicity is racism against caucasians?

lol look at per capita you mook. Blacks are killed disproportionately to their population percent.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:39:13 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:31:08 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

sure we all have limits, some are harder to over come than others, the choice is to be bound by these limits or over come them, choose to be the victim or not.

If the word victim is the sticking point you're missing the greater point. Honestly look at the stats, usually the rich stay rich, the middle stays in the middle, and the poor stay poor. I'm tired of Americans acting like temporary embarrassed millionaires. Meritocracy may be the ideal but it is not what goes on.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:44:15 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:39:13 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

If the word victim is the sticking point you're missing the greater point. Honestly look at the stats, usually the rich stay rich, the middle stays in the middle, and the poor stay poor. I'm tired of Americans acting like temporary embarrassed millionaires. Meritocracy may be the ideal but it is not what goes on.

To me this is like the person who was happy with their life, even excited about their life until...they saw their neighbor had more. The poor in this country are the gold standard to much of the world. Do you think a Guatamalen person wouldn't be elated to live in an American trailor park, getting welfare, a foodstamp card, and reasonable opportunity to get a decent job, with benefits, vacation time, and 40-50 hour work weeks?

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:52:52 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:44:15 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

To me this is like the person who was happy with their life, even excited about their life until...they saw their neighbor had more.

If this is new to you then you clearly don't understand American culture and the 'Keeping up with the Jones' effect.

The poor in this country are the gold standard to much of the world.

Poverty is relative. When living in the richest country on earth no one should go hungry or uneducated or be denied health care. The denial of these things help contribute to the continuation of poverty.

Do you think a Guatamalen person wouldn't be elated to live in an American trailor park, getting welfare, a foodstamp card, and reasonable opportunity to get a decent job, with benefits, vacation time, and 40-50 hour work weeks?

I think a guatamalan would be happier if that opportnity existed in his own country. But living in a trailer there would be the same as living in a trailer here, expect probably no welfare benefits.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:56:51 PM
Again, I am only a victim if I choose to be.

Bronto did not overtly state the allegation levied at his OP. One can infer or assume. I do neither. I read literally.

I am not a victim of others choices.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 5:03:09 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:52:52 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

To me this is like the person who was happy with their life, even excited about their life until...they saw their neighbor had more.

If this is new to you then you clearly don't understand American culture and the 'Keeping up with the Jones' effect.

Poverty is relative. When living in the richest country on earth no one should go hungry or uneducated or be denied health care. The denial of these things help contribute to the continuation of poverty.

Do you think a Guatamalen person wouldn't be elated to live in an American trailor park, getting welfare, a foodstamp card, and reasonable opportunity to get a decent job, with benefits, vacation time, and 40-50 hour work weeks?

I think a guatamalan would be happier if that opportnity existed in his own country. But living in a trailer there would be the same as living in a trailer here, expect probably no welfare benefits.

1) they don't have the trailor. The trailor would be a heavy upgrade.

2)Even if they had the trailor, they do not haveany of the benefits to afford anything outside of themselves, no government assistance, no benefits, no foodstamp card, no welfare, nothing but their own personal abilityto survive on their own, as it is in much of the world.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 5:20:30 PM

So if you cannot keep up with the Jones, you are a victim even if your life provides you with government help, free food, and other above described benefits?

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 5:38:40 PM
At 9/29/2016 4:56:51 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Bronto did not overtly state the allegation levied at his OP. One can infer or assume. I do neither. I read literally.

Again you miss the point. Congrats.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 5:50:36 PM
At 9/30/2016 5:38:40 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

No one is missing your point. Some flat out disagree with your contention, have been around a lot longer and experienced a hell of a lot more. At best you've been in the work force for 3, maybe 4 years. No the part time job in high school and college don't count.

You want to exclaim society is utterly unfair. You are entitled to your opinion...but it doesn't mean it's valid.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 6:03:09 PM
At 9/30/2016 5:50:36 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

No one is missing your point. Some flat out disagree with your contention, have been around a lot longer and experienced a hell of a lot more. At best you've been in the work force for 3, maybe 4 years. No the part time job in high school and college don't count.

You want to exclaim society is utterly unfair. You are entitled to your opinion...but it doesn't mean it's valid.

lol again, congrats on missing the point. Why am I not surprised that a person who calls himself a sovereign citizen doesn't understand how society actually runs.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 6:10:54 PM
At 9/30/2016 6:03:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

lol again, congrats on missing the point. Why am I not surprised that a person who calls himself a sovereign citizen doesn't understand how society actually runs.

Your post #14 tells me all I need to know. Simple as that... and it's not soveteign citizen, that's a conflation of pre and post 14th amendment definitions.

So to use jailhouse terms, educate us oldtimers, young buck: how does society actually run?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 6:15:07 PM
At 9/29/2016 5:03:09 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

1) they don't have the trailor. The trailor would be a heavy upgrade.

There are Americans who live in the same conditions right here in the US.

2)Even if they had the trailor, they do not haveany of the benefits to afford anything outside of themselves, no government assistance, no benefits, no foodstamp card, no welfare, nothing but their own personal abilityto survive on their own, as it is in much of the world.

And? You do realize the US also gives money to poor people around the world right?

So if you cannot keep up with the Jones, you are a victim even if your life provides you with government help, free food, and other above described benefits?

Jesus how long have you lived in the US? How ignorant of American culture can you be? "To fail to "keep up with the Joneses" is perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority" https://en.wikipedia.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 6:19:49 PM

That's really wise.

If there is one thing you can truly say about "white privilege" (it really means white culture)...it's the ability to shrug off insults and slurs, racial or not, and just keep doing your thing, no matter the obstacles. I think that's a good cultural and societal virtue in and of itself, no matter what the source of it is.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 6:26:05 PM
At 9/30/2016 6:19:49 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

That's really wise.

If there is one thing you can truly say about "white privilege" (it really means white culture)...it's the ability to shrug off insults and slurs, racial or not, and just keep doing your thing, no matter the obstacles. I think that's a good cultural and societal virtue in and of itself, no matter what the source of it is.

Well I was just told by a young buck o don't understand society because o am ultimately responsible for all my choices, I have no control over others, understand life/society is ultimately-never will be fair, and don't blame every setback on something else.

I'm just naive I guess... all those years in the military, all the formal education, raising kids, growing up truly in the hood (although it's had a remarkable turn around the last 2 years), divorce, a couple of years on the streets (literally), gambling for a living... I need government and groups to tell me I'm a victim.

Parrot, hold me, I need a hug and a safe place.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 6:41:40 PM
At 9/30/2016 6:10:54 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Your post #14 tells me all I need to know. Simple as that...

And what about #14 makes you think I said society is utterly unfair? There is much failure, there is much treding water, and there is much failure.

...and it's not soveteign citizen, that's a conflation of pre and post 14th amendment definitions.

Then what term do you nut bags use? You called yourself a "sovereign" which is short for the sovereign citizens movement.

So to use jailhouse terms, educate us oldtimers, young buck: how does society actually run?

That's a big question -I'm not even going to address race in this response because that's clearly over your head.- but first would be to recognize the economic game is rigged against the average person while at the same time people think they're doing ok because morons like Bronto can point to the 3rd world and say poor people are rich.

I'm sure you're aware of the massive wealth inequality in the US. The rich get richer while the poor slowly recover from their losses http://www.cbsnews.com...

Social mobility has not progress in over 40 years despite 51% of Americans thinking it has. http://www.economist.com...

51% of American workers make $30k or less per year. The middle class, the bedrock of a strong democracy, is quickly going the way of the dinosaur. http://www.washingtonsblog.com...

Yet most people think they are middle class http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com...

Labor Unions are strongly correlated to quality of life [https://blogs.baylor.edu...], over the past 30 years labor union membership has fallen dramatically [http://www.forbes.com...].

You think you're in complete control of your life, yet when banks and wall street can crash the economy, destroying small business, sending millions into unemployment and poverty how much control does the average person really have?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 6:45:10 PM
At 9/30/2016 6:26:05 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 9/30/2016 6:19:49 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

That's really wise.

Well I was just told by a young buck o don't understand society because o am ultimately responsible for all my choices, I have no control over others, understand life/society is ultimately-never will be fair, and don't blame every setback on something else.

I'm just naive I guess... all those years in the military, all the formal education, raising kids, growing up truly in the hood (although it's had a remarkable turn around the last 2 years), divorce, a couple of years on the streets (literally), gambling for a living... I need government and groups to tell me I'm a victim.

Parrot, hold me, I need a hug and a safe place.

Lol, you're fine.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 7:01:32 PM
At 9/30/2016 6:41:40 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

And what about #14 makes you think I said society is utterly unfair? There is much failure, there is much treding water, and there is much failure.

...and it's not soveteign citizen, that's a conflation of pre and post 14th amendment definitions.

Then what term do you nut bags use? You called yourself a "sovereign" which is short for the sovereign citizens movement.

That's a big question -I'm not even going to address race in this response because that's clearly over your head.- but first would be to recognize the economic game is rigged against the average person while at the same time people think they're doing ok because morons like Bronto can point to the 3rd world and say poor people are rich.

I'm sure you're aware of the massive wealth inequality in the US. The rich get richer while the poor slowly recover from their losses http://www.cbsnews.com...

Social mobility has not progress in over 40 years despite 51% of Americans thinking it has. http://www.economist.com...

51% of American workers make $30k or less per year. The middle class, the bedrock of a strong democracy, is quickly going the way of the dinosaur. http://www.washingtonsblog.com...

Yet most people think they are middle class http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com...

Labor Unions are strongly correlated to quality of life [https://blogs.baylor.edu...], over the past 30 years labor union membership has fallen dramatically [http://www.forbes.com...].

You think you're in complete control of your life, yet when banks and wall street can crash the economy, destroying small business, sending millions into unemployment and poverty how much control does the average person really have?

I focus on 1 at a time as it's easier to converse vs get lost in back and forth bickering. From post 14:

So why should no one go hungry? Even those of us who have lived on the streets can find food at a variety of shelters and food banks.

Uneducated? Truancy is actually against the law... kids are forced into education actually. So how is that societies inequity? College being cost prohibitive? There are avenues (ex: I had to join the Air Force to help pay for my education but there are literally billions of unused grant money every year, both private and public ally funded).

Healthcare.. are you specifically referring to pre-existing... I hope so. But I won't assume so specifically on healthcare what denial aspect are you referencing?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 10:28:58 PM
At 9/30/2016 6:41:40 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Well. The moron was from a country where people lived in shacks built from rusty tin, had no food, no benefits, no rights, no anything. The American "slum" was the dream.

2)The stupid bronto immigrated, worked hard, saved, didn't buy ipads, iphones, have cable, eat out etc etc. He saved. The "poor" in this country claim to be oppressed and poor, yet they have ood provided on a card, have a roof over their head, eat out at restaurants, get dish network, internet, iphone, etc then scream they are poor. Come on now. Even Americans themselves from say 1980 would have been amazed at the poor today in America.

Nevertheless, if the government should help you more, you need to stop people from flooding to your country so they can afford to give you anything. The current liberal format is the "equal sharing of misery" worldwide rather than helping those who are here. If you would quit letting people into your country that suck your welfare system, just think, that money could have been split between less people. Then you would have less people and more happy and financially stable people , rather than more people who don't get enough to affect their lives based on your view of "poor".

Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 10:36:52 PM
As one who has been homeless (no shelters, no car to sleep in... park bench sleeping homeless) and has been to truly poor countries (no water, electricity) our poor here are much better off.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 10:50:35 PM
At 9/30/2016 10:36:52 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
As one who has been homeless (no shelters, no car to sleep in... park bench sleeping homeless) and has been to truly poor countries (no water, electricity) our poor here are much better off.

I'm not making light of the genuinely poor faced with truely hard times. There are people who are legitimately poor in the U.S. There are people living in tent cities, etc. They are poor. But in other countries the whole entire city will look like that.