Jump to topic:

Alt Right

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2016 11:44:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I am doing a video on the Alt Right and the far-right and I want to let both have their say. So if you are sympathetic too, a part of or supportive of the alt right or the extreme right, how to you define yourself, who do you consider to be a part of the alt Right or the far right, what are your views, etc.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 12:10:30 AM
At 10/1/2016 11:44:28 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
I am doing a video on the Alt Right and the far-right and I want to let both have their say. So if you are sympathetic too, a part of or supportive of the alt right or the extreme right, how to you define yourself, who do you consider to be a part of the alt Right or the far right, what are your views, etc.

What do you define as the alt right? There is no agreed upon definition.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 2:42:39 AM
At 10/2/2016 12:10:30 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Well that's the hard part of this, it's hard to distinguish the AltRight from some groups of the extreme right, or from other right wing populists. For the most part it tends to have a few common threads.
-Opposition to Egalitarianism, including Social Justice, and Feminism
-Opposition to immigration, multi-culturalism, "political correctness" and Islam
-Promotion of "Western values" or "White Heritage"
-Fervent Nationalism
-Opposition to Globalization
-Classical Liberalism

I just started but these are just what I have found thus far.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 2:47:25 AM
At 10/2/2016 2:42:39 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Well that's the hard part of this, it's hard to distinguish the AltRight from some groups of the extreme right, or from other right wing populists. For the most part it tends to have a few common threads.
-Opposition to immigration, multi-culturalism, "political correctness" and Islam
What is wrong with opposing the middle two?

What if one refers to classical liberal ideas from philosophers such as Adam Smith, Voltaire, John Locke, or whatever as western values?

-Fervent Nationalism
What would be defined as "fervent"?

Aren't you con on globalization?

-Classical Liberalism
Classical Liberalism isn't compatible with opposing egalitarianism.

Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 3:09:06 AM

-Fervent Nationalism
-Classical Liberalism

I wouldn't say opposed to egalitarianism, feminism and egalitarianism are not the same thing. The rest I would agree with.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 3:18:49 AM
At 10/2/2016 3:09:06 AM, Fernyx wrote:

-Fervent Nationalism
-Classical Liberalism

I wouldn't say opposed to egalitarianism, feminism and egalitarianism are not the same thing. The rest I would agree with.

I put the word including because Feminism is a form of egalitarianism focused on Gender equality.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 3:32:18 AM
At 10/2/2016 2:47:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Well that's the hard part of this, it's hard to distinguish the AltRight from some groups of the extreme right, or from other right-wing populists. For the most part it tends to have a few common threads.
Well the second one doesn't actually exist, and the first is a more complex issue. Regardless that is not really the subject of what I am saying here. These are just viewpoints espoused by the Alt-Right

What if one refers to classical liberal ideas from philosophers such as Adam Smith, Voltaire, John Locke, or whatever as western values?
Many on the Alt Right include those in their definition of Western Values.
-Fervent Nationalism
having or displaying a passionate intensity.

Yes, however I am against the current form of neoliberal, market globalization. The Alt-Right opposes all globalization on a nationalist basis.

-Classical Liberalism
I meant this in connection with economics.

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 3:55:39 AM
At 10/2/2016 3:32:18 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Well that's the hard part of this, it's hard to distinguish the AltRight from some groups of the extreme right, or from other right-wing populists. For the most part it tends to have a few common threads.
Well the second one doesn't actually exist, and the first is a more complex issue. Regardless that is not really the subject of what I am saying here. These are just viewpoints espoused by the Alt-Right
More complex issue? How so?
Political correctness exists, and it's evident with people such as Donald Trump or Nigel Farage being called "racist" for saying things that challenge the status quo, which essentially is political correctness.

Many on the Alt Right include those in their definition of Western Values.
Then if you define the alt right as white nationalists and opposed to egalitarianism, then they can't support western/classical liberal values. Furthermore if you consider the alt-right to hold re

-Fervent Nationalism
I mean the definition as with nationalism.
What would be examples of fervent nationalism?

Yes, however I am against the current form of neoliberal, market globalization. The Alt-Right opposes all globalization on a nationalist basis.
So the alt-right by your definition is opposed to market globalization? I don't see globalization in the economic sense as a bad thing.

-Classical Liberalism
If you define the alt right as people from websites such as stormfront or extremists on /pol/, I've noticed there's a fair share of people opposed to neoliberal economics and in favor of European welfare states.

NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 9:56:11 AM
The alt-right is variegated rather than free-flowing. The hardcore elements from The Daily Stormer define it accordingly:
"The alt-right is just a euphemism for Nazism. And Nazism is based on the eternal laws of nature itself. It"s incorruptible" (http://archive.is...).

White supremacist Jared Taylor at American Renaissance presents a toned-down version:
"We are a broad dissident movement [...] [but] all agree on one thing: Equality is a dangerous myth. The alt-right is united in rejecting the current dogma that all races are equal" (http://alternative-right.blogspot.com...).

Beyond the alt-right, there is the alt-light, which is what Milo and Allum Bokhari are spreading at Breitbart. To the careless reader, their works appear as quirky hipster conservatism. But Milo's flamboyance has reached a point where the Nazis in the movement have openly declared war.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 12:28:02 PM
At 10/2/2016 3:55:39 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
-Fervent Nationalism

I also don't think they're necessarily fervid nationalists. Most alt-right people seem more loyal to ethnicity and culture, and view the entire idea of a proposition nation with disdain.

So the alt-right by your definition is opposed to market globalization? I don't see globalization in the economic sense as a bad thing.

-Classical Liberalism
If you define the alt right as people from websites such as stormfront or extremists on /pol/, I've noticed there's a fair share of people opposed to neoliberal economics and in favor of European welfare states.

This is very true; the alt-right is generally opposed to capitalism.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 12:36:12 PM
Thread is an advent for bashing. The term is defined in the media as a pejorative. No reason to weigh in.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 1:31:17 PM
At 10/2/2016 3:18:49 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 10/2/2016 3:09:06 AM, Fernyx wrote:

-Fervent Nationalism
-Classical Liberalism

I put the word including because Feminism is a form of egalitarianism focused on Gender equality.

But they are not against gender equality, they are for equal opportunity which women have and feminism is against.
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 1:37:16 PM
At 10/2/2016 12:36:12 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Thread is an advent for bashing. The term is defined in the media as a pejorative. No reason to weigh in.
It does exist nonetheless, and the alt-right's proponents range from anti-egalitarian hipsters to self-proclaimed Nazis.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 2:28:04 PM
At 10/2/2016 1:37:16 PM, NHN wrote:
It does exist nonetheless, and the alt-right's proponents range from anti-egalitarian hipsters to self-proclaimed Nazis.

I don't disagree... often exposure leads to growth. For misguided ideologies, the best defense is no exposure as it will only fuel predisposed insecurities. Some may view that as ignoring an issue that needs confrontation. I contend that the ideology will whither and die unless fed.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 2:37:36 PM
At 10/2/2016 12:28:02 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 10/2/2016 3:55:39 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
-Fervent Nationalism

I also don't think they're necessarily fervid nationalists. Most alt-right people seem more loyal to ethnicity and culture, and view the entire idea of a proposition nation with disdain.

In general though, alt-right nationalism tends to be based on race quite a bit. Most are essentially white nationalists to some fair extent.

-Classical Liberalism

This is very true; the alt-right is generally opposed to capitalism.

The alt-right is generally not a group that cares about economics too much from what I've observed.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 2:41:10 PM
At 10/2/2016 3:18:49 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Many Classical Liberal right wingers tend to be for egalitarianism, but they critique third wave feminism as being against egalitarianism. So no, it is arguable that feminism isn't egalitarianism.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 2:42:38 PM
But anyways if we are defining the alt right as a bunch of authoritarian reactionary nationalists, they essentially are very uncommon in the west. They're hardly anything to be worried about.
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 2:52:21 PM
At 10/2/2016 2:28:04 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
I don't disagree... often exposure leads to growth. For misguided ideologies, the best defense is no exposure as it will only fuel predisposed insecurities. Some may view that as ignoring an issue that needs confrontation. I contend that the ideology will whither and die unless fed.
That's most definitely a valid approach. It is also the default position before such movements.

However, from time to time, I am overcome with that Jeffersonian need to "water the tree of liberty." Naming the enemy is one such first step. Because if this kind of enemy has not yet passed into oblivion, then there is something wrong in our approach. As such, we risk passing into the mode of "see no evil, hear no evil."
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 2:57:42 PM

The term was coined by its adherents in 2008 and they even held a press conference earlier this year about it.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 3:28:33 PM
At 10/2/2016 2:52:21 PM, NHN wrote:
At 10/2/2016 2:28:04 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
That's most definitely a valid approach. It is also the default position before such movements.

However, from time to time, I am overcome with that Jeffersonian need to "water the tree of liberty." Naming the enemy is one such first step. Because if this kind of enemy has not yet passed into oblivion, then there is something wrong in our approach. As such, we risk passing into the mode of "see no evil, hear no evil."

God I wish we had as much wisdom as those people, not just men, between the end of the 1756-1763 wars and shays rebellion.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 3:29:29 PM
At 10/2/2016 2:57:42 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

The term was coined by its adherents in 2008 and they even held a press conference earlier this year about it.

I know this. See my posts in your thread.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 2:49:21 PM

labeling people is bad! only it's not lol dunno but if this bs with asking people what pronoun they want to go by is the push same should be for political label. This stuff is silly at best, how many of topics do you have to agree with to dawn this label? All so silly if people want to talk about a specific issue and those who take an extreme stance on it either way then that makes sense, otherwise what really is the point?
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 6:40:22 PM
At 10/3/2016 2:49:21 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

labeling people is bad! only it's not lol dunno but if this bs with asking people what pronoun they want to go by is the push same should be for political label. This stuff is silly at best, how many of topics do you have to agree with to dawn this label? All so silly if people want to talk about a specific issue and those who take an extreme stance on it either way then that makes sense, otherwise what really is the point?

Agreed... I don't get why people limit themselves with labels. Then again, that's why you and I don't label ourselves. Some things I'm very liberal on. Some things I'm very conservative. On all things I'm very restrictive to federal power on.

Have you noticed how dismissive and derisive those who do define themselves on?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 6:50:50 PM
At 10/3/2016 6:40:22 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Agreed... I don't get why people limit themselves with labels. Then again, that's why you and I don't label ourselves. Some things I'm very liberal on. Some things I'm very conservative. On all things I'm very restrictive to federal power on.

I've hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it, seems there's a lot more extremist than I really noticed, that would explain the quick temper, name calling and deflections etc
but it is interested how we try to put labels on people or put them in buckets, maybe the mass is so one dimensional that they can be, but some of us can't be.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 7:06:00 PM
At 10/3/2016 6:50:50 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

I've hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it, seems there's a lot more extremist than I really noticed, that would explain the quick temper, name calling and deflections etc
but it is interested how we try to put labels on people or put them in buckets, maybe the mass is so one dimensional that they can be, but some of us can't be.

I'm sure you and I would disagree on a variety of things. But it would be treated with dignity and respect vs defamation and deragotory comments.

I think you are right: many if not most solely stereotype even when they say they don't.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 7:14:55 PM

You're doing a video, you should link us.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 7:15:08 PM
At 10/3/2016 7:06:00 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

I'm sure you and I would disagree on a variety of things. But it would be treated with dignity and respect vs defamation and deragotory comments.

I think you are right: many if not most solely stereotype even when they say they don't.

selective stereotyping I guess lol, I admit when I'm wrong and know and try to reign in my hypocrisy rather than defend it with labels and insults, so guess the others should continue with their labeling and bashing, fire at will (smith).
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 7:24:59 PM

-Fervent Nationalism
-Classical Liberalism

You missed 3 big points
1) Opposition to government institutionalized elitism in both major parties.
2) Opposition to government cronyism from both parties, especially in the realm of "pay to play" capitalism.
3) Opposition to the unequal application and enforcement of laws especially in the realm of illegal immigration.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 7:37:16 PM
At 10/3/2016 7:15:08 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/3/2016 7:06:00 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

selective stereotyping I guess lol, I admit when I'm wrong and know and try to reign in my hypocrisy rather than defend it with labels and insults, so guess the others should continue with their labeling and bashing, fire at will (smith).

When I first got sober I came up with a saying: all responsibility lies with self. I added to it a few months in: to be selfless one must first be selfish.

Recognizing our own limitations is a not too utilized trait today. Me, me, me. Sad but true (to quote Metallica).