Jump to topic:

I never worry I'll be shot in CHI...I'm white

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:38:40 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Interesting op-ed on the intersection of race, crime, and individual experience of urban space:

http://www.chicagotribune.com...

"...In my lifetime, which began in 1967, it's never been safer to be a white person in urban America. A study by a University of Chicago graduate student found that the city's decline in murders since the 1990s has disproportionately benefited white neighborhoods: They've become less violent, while black neighborhoods are now deadlier - an inequality of violence that mirrors the economic inequality in a city losing its middle class....

Chicago is famously segregated, but the experiences of blacks and whites don't vary just when we live in different neighborhoods. They vary within the same neighborhood. My census tract is 50 percent black and 37 percent white. That's integration. But when I walk past a group of black men standing in front of the currency exchange, we have entirely different expectations of getting shot or arrested. I've only been stopped by the police once. I was a wearing a parka that hid my face. As soon as I turned around, the cop waved me off. We're on the same sidewalk, but we live in different cities....

...Trump supporters such as former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani like to turn the "Black Lives Matter" slogan around on the black community by arguing that blacks are greater threats to each other than the police are, which ignores the fact that law and order breaks down when the law itself becomes a source of disorder..."
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:42:02 AM
At 10/4/2016 5:38:40 AM, Raisor wrote:
Interesting op-ed on the intersection of race, crime, and individual experience of urban space:

"...In my lifetime, which began in 1967, it's never been safer to be a white person in urban America. A study by a University of Chicago graduate student found that the city's decline in murders since the 1990s has disproportionately benefited white neighborhoods: They've become less violent, while black neighborhoods are now deadlier - an inequality of violence that mirrors the economic inequality in a city losing its middle class....

Chicago is famously segregated, but the experiences of blacks and whites don't vary just when we live in different neighborhoods. They vary within the same neighborhood. My census tract is 50 percent black and 37 percent white. That's integration. But when I walk past a group of black men standing in front of the currency exchange, we have entirely different expectations of getting shot or arrested. I've only been stopped by the police once. I was a wearing a parka that hid my face. As soon as I turned around, the cop waved me off. We're on the same sidewalk, but we live in different cities....

...Trump supporters such as former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani like to turn the "Black Lives Matter" slogan around on the black community by arguing that blacks are greater threats to each other than the police are, which ignores the fact that law and order breaks down when the law itself becomes a source of disorder..."

Some one might conclude form this, if your white, and you want to be safer, all things being equal it's best to have the blacks over there.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:45:10 AM
At 10/4/2016 5:42:02 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

Some one might conclude form this, if your white, and you want to be safer, all things being equal it's best to have the blacks over there.

Did you actually read the article in the 3 minutes between me posting and you replying?

What about this article suggests that we should actively pursue segregation?
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:48:21 AM
At 10/4/2016 5:45:10 AM, Raisor wrote:

Did you actually read the article in the 3 minutes between me posting and you replying?

Nope just the exerts.

Where blacks be, more violence be, ergo blacks over there.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:49:41 AM
At 10/4/2016 5:48:21 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

Nope just the exerts.

oh Cersei, you always were my least promising child...
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:53:22 AM
At 10/4/2016 5:49:41 AM, Raisor wrote:

Nope just the exerts.

So is it, or is it not the case, that more blacks = more violence ? at least on average.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:59:16 AM
At 10/4/2016 5:53:22 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

Nope just the exerts.

So is it, or is it not the case, that more blacks = more violence ? at least on average.

Lets me put it another way, as a white man pretending to be a white woman, if i was moving to murica, would I be any more safer if I lived in an all white area ? compared to say all all black area or mix area ?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 6:23:36 AM
At 10/4/2016 5:59:16 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

Nope just the exerts.

Lets me put it another way, as a white man pretending to be a white woman, if i was moving to murica, would I be any more safer if I lived in an all white area ? compared to say all all black area or mix area ?

I wouldn't even think of the question in those terms. If we were sitting at a diner and you were asking me "where should I move?" The category "white neighborhood vs black neighborhood" wouldn't even come up in the conversation.

If you were, in this bizarre racial trope of a hypothetical, a white women asking if you should move into a black neighborhood, my response would be what is transportation like, what is the rent, what are the crime stats specific to your block, what is the nightlife/restaurant/cultural scene like. Lots of minority low crime neighborhoods out there. Lots of neighborhoods perceived as high crime that are actually largely safe with low rent.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 6:28:28 AM
At 10/4/2016 6:23:36 AM, Raisor wrote:

Nope just the exerts.

I wouldn't even think of the question in those terms. If we were sitting at a diner and you were asking me "where should I move?" The category "white neighborhood vs black neighborhood" wouldn't even come up in the conversation.

If you were, in this bizarre racial trope of a hypothetical, a white women asking if you should move into a black neighborhood, my response would be what is transportation like, what is the rent, what are the crime stats specific to your block, what is the nightlife/restaurant/cultural scene like. Lots of minority low crime neighborhoods out there. Lots of neighborhoods perceived as high crime that are actually largely safe with low rent.

I think you need to be aware of something Raisor your answer could be interpreted as follows........

Yes, all things being equal you will be safer in an all while neighbour hood vs black/mixed one, but I don't want to say that since that is racist, thus I will avoid a direct answer that question and talk about other variables such as rent/crime rates/transportation etc etc.

Now of course i'am not saying that either, cause you know, racist.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 6:37:36 AM
At 10/4/2016 6:28:28 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 10/4/2016 6:23:36 AM, Raisor wrote:

Nope just the exerts.

I think you need to be aware of something Raisor your answer could be interpreted as follows........

Yes, all things being equal you will be safer in an all while neighbour hood vs black/mixed one, but I don't want to say that since that is racist, thus I will avoid a direct answer that question and talk about other variables such as rent/crime rates/transportation etc etc.

Now of course i'am not saying that either, cause you know, racist.

I have no doubt that someone intent on interpreting my response through a racial lens could do so.

The truth is the variables I mentioned are what I believe are important, not the racial make-up of the neighborhood. There are many great neighborhoods in which whites are a minority, I happen to live in one.

I would never in a million years advise that someone filter neighborhoods by racial makeup- that is a stupid way to look for a place to live, and if you look for housing that way then you are a dum dum. That is how you wind up paying over priced rent :)
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 7:23:57 AM

More evidence that BLM has already achieved part of police no-go zones in black communities like Chicago already. It can only get worse unless the feds ignore the cries of racism and send in the muscle.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 11:04:13 AM

I'm brown. I never worry about getting shot. It must be magic.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...