Jump to topic:

2016 VP Debate thread

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 8:30:16 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Take your pick - which 57 year old white Catholic establishment career politician will win?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 8:39:04 PM
At 10/4/2016 8:30:16 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Take your pick - which 57 year old white Catholic establishment career politician will win?

I have never been so unexcited about a debate. This is probably the first one I refuse to watch.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 8:39:36 PM

Probably Kaine.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 9:22:26 PM

Kaine has de facto excommunicated himself from the Catholic Church. You simply cannot hold his views and call yourself Catholic.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 9:39:52 PM

I'll be watching for when Kaine breaks out the Spanish in belitteling fashion with a twinkle in his eye as he race baits towards Hispanics that he plans on using to pick the fields and build the roads.

Vote Kaine. He speaks Spanish....

Of course I speak another language and am in no way any longer connected to the group that speaks said language. Maybe Pence could toss out a line of Chinese to get the Asian vote. How pathetic...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 10:43:14 PM

http://www.debate.org... :(
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:07:52 AM
And we're off...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:12:41 AM
I hope they get to policy at some point instead of defending the other candidate.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:42:59 AM
Just a shouting match.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:49:56 AM
This has kind of really been complete sh!t. Just back and forth on defending Trump.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:56:34 AM
At 10/5/2016 1:49:56 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
This has kind of really been complete sh!t. Just back and forth on defending Trump.

Exactly, little to no actual substance.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:56:52 AM

Swift_Creek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 2:11:04 AM

Hopefully Jill Stein
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 2:32:52 AM

Pence has a better temperment. I don't know if I want Kaine with his finger on the button...nor Hitlery for that matter, seeing she threatened Russia and Iran with war and military action once she was President.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 9:52:17 AM
At 10/5/2016 1:49:56 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Pence won.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 11:49:11 AM
At 10/4/2016 9:22:26 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Kaine has de facto excommunicated himself from the Catholic Church. You simply cannot hold his views and call yourself Catholic.

Why, he's pro-abortion and pro-LGBT rights? Well, 60% of Catholics in the U.S. support same-sex marriage, and 65% of American Catholics identify as "pro-choice" with regard to abortion.

https://en.wikipedia.org...
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 12:58:59 PM
At 10/5/2016 11:49:11 AM, tejretics wrote:

Why, he's pro-abortion and pro-LGBT rights? Well, 60% of Catholics in the U.S. support same-sex marriage, and 65% of American Catholics identify as "pro-choice" with regard to abortion.

well the Church does not, so you can call anything you like, I'm not sure how you can claim to be part of something like a religion and pick and choose what you believe in, Kaine is a douche with his overly hostile way of talking over and interrupting regardless of why, it's pretty classless for a debate so unimportant.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:05:11 PM
At 10/5/2016 12:58:59 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

well the Church does not, so you can call anything you like, I'm not sure how you can claim to be part of something like a religion and pick and choose what you believe in, Kaine is a douche with his overly hostile way of talking over and interrupting regardless of why, it's pretty classless for a debate so unimportant.

I didn't even see the debate.

Religions, societies, and movements are all defined by the people within them, not the people above them.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:19:27 PM
At 10/5/2016 1:05:11 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/5/2016 12:58:59 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

I didn't even see the debate.

Religions, societies, and movements are all defined by the people within them, not the people above them.

the Pope, Bible, and Leaders define the Catholic Church, not it's members. movements are loosely defined at best, (blm prime example) huge difference between movements and organizations, organizations are from the top down, movements generally like strippers have no tops.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 2:02:08 PM
If this debate occurred in a vacuum, Pence would be the winner. He was more personable and looked more Presidential. However, it didn't take place in a vacuum. Pence couldn't defend his running mate. That's a massive failure. No winner because Kaine did poorly and Pence couldn't defend Trump.

I didn't expect to hate Kaine so much but boy was he annoying.
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 3:46:37 PM

1) Neither of them are Catholic (at least not in any real sense)

2) Pence won easily
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 3:48:14 PM
Of the little that I saw, Kaine definitely won, but for whatever reason the media has declared Pence the winner.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 4:02:31 PM
At 10/5/2016 3:48:14 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Of the little that I saw, Kaine definitely won, but for whatever reason the media has declared Pence the winner.

Then you saw very little.

Kaine's best friend:

http://www.taoofcolor.com...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 4:03:13 PM

So 65% of American Catholics are material and possibly formal heretics. How do I know? Because these are the official teachings of the Catholic Church:

http://www.vatican.va...

2270 Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person - among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life.

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you.
My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately wrought in the depths of the earth.

2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:

You shall not kill the embryo by abortion and shall not cause the newborn to perish.
God, the Lord of life, has entrusted to men the noble mission of safeguarding life, and men must carry it out in a manner worthy of themselves. Life must be protected with the utmost care from the moment of conception: abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes.

2272 Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. "A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae," "by the very commission of the offense," and subject to the conditions provided by Canon Law. The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society.

2273 The inalienable right to life of every innocent human individual is a constitutive element of a civil society and its legislation:

"The inalienable rights of the person must be recognized and respected by civil society and the political authority. These human rights depend neither on single individuals nor on parents; nor do they represent a concession made by society and the state; they belong to human nature and are inherent in the person by virtue of the creative act from which the person took his origin. Among such fundamental rights one should mention in this regard every human being's right to life and physical integrity from the moment of conception until death."

"The moment a positive law deprives a category of human beings of the protection which civil legislation ought to accord them, the state is denying the equality of all before the law. When the state does not place its power at the service of the rights of each citizen, and in particular of the more vulnerable, the very foundations of a state based on law are undermined. . . . As a consequence of the respect and protection which must be ensured for the unborn child from the moment of conception, the law must provide appropriate penal sanctions for every deliberate violation of the child's rights."

2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

Prenatal diagnosis is morally licit, "if it respects the life and integrity of the embryo and the human fetus and is directed toward its safe guarding or healing as an individual. . . . It is gravely opposed to the moral law when this is done with the thought of possibly inducing an abortion, depending upon the results: a diagnosis must not be the equivalent of a death sentence."

2275 "One must hold as licit procedures carried out on the human embryo which respect the life and integrity of the embryo and do not involve disproportionate risks for it, but are directed toward its healing the improvement of its condition of health, or its individual survival."

"It is immoral to produce human embryos intended for exploitation as disposable biological material."

"Certain attempts to influence chromosomic or genetic inheritance are not therapeutic but are aimed at producing human beings selected according to sex or other predetermined qualities. Such manipulations are contrary to the personal dignity of the human being and his integrity and identity" which are unique and unrepeatable.

http://www.vatican.va...

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

"The penalty for a baptised Catholic above the age of 18 who obstinately, publicly, and voluntarily manifests his or her adherence to an objective heresy is automatic excommunication ("latae sententiae") according to Can. 1364 par.1 C.I.C."

I cannot stand people on this site referencing the "No True Scotsman" fallacy incorrectly; especially when done so in reference to religion. There are things you have to believe and defend as a Catholic. Catholics who do not reject same sex marriage and abortion have by default excommunicated themselves if they know that the Church teaches otherwise.

Kaine knows otherwise and his public actions scandalize the Catholic faith.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 4:25:47 PM
At 10/5/2016 4:02:31 PM, RookieApologist wrote:

Kaine's best friend:

Pence could not have won if he tried. He essentially knew how to work the camera better, seemed more prepared, and even had better answers but still lost because he was left holding trumps hand.

With the attacks on Trump and Pence left answering for him as his running mate, there is no way Pence could have won this by perception even if he actually won on technical grounds.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 5:34:37 PM

Pence won by a lot, I hate supporting anything in the Trump campaign, but Pence easily won. He was prepared, controlled, and did not interrupt like Kaine did. The only thing that came out of the debate is Kaine is a d1ck.
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 5:38:00 PM

Today in irony:

"The constant interruptions last night by Tim Kaine should not have been allowed. Mike Pence won big!" - Donald Trump's Twitter
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 5:38:23 PM
At 10/5/2016 4:25:47 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 10/5/2016 4:02:31 PM, RookieApologist wrote:

Kaine's best friend:

Pence could not have won if he tried. He essentially knew how to work the camera better, seemed more prepared, and even had better answers but still lost because he was left holding trumps hand.

With the attacks on Trump and Pence left answering for him as his running mate, there is no way Pence could have won this by perception even if he actually won on technical grounds.

If Pence did not win, then both lost. The attitude shown by Kaine was abhorrent and in no way was beneficial towards his campaign.
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 6:11:31 PM
At 10/5/2016 5:41:02 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Didn't watch, don't care to watch veeps... they have little power so why bother?

I'm actually surprised there was such a small viewership. I would think that if a person is undecided between two of the worst candidates in history, why not watch the Veep debate to see if one of them may sway your vote. They don't have much power, but depending on the relationship of the two, may have a lot of influence on the decisions made in office.