Jump to topic:

Harris on Trump

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 3:49:01 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
" Trump seems to be bullshitting to a degree that borders on confabulation" There's something wrong with his mind. "

lol
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 4:09:15 PM
At 10/6/2016 3:49:01 PM, Mikal wrote:
" Trump seems to be bullshitting to a degree that borders on confabulation" There's something wrong with his mind. "

lol

Yeah, it's fascinating what Trump does to those who think they're smart because they've graded themselves as smart. Trump is an imbecile? He built a hugely successful business and he's an imbecile? Lefties always remind me of "reeling in the years" song by Steely Dan: "The things you count for knowledge, I can't understand".

What a lot of people obviously don't get is that Trump is used to a huge degree of delegation of implementation. You need that skill to run a big enterprise like Trump Inc, or, say, the United States of America. So in his "real life" he makes absurd statements like "We should built a hotel in Timbuktu". Only, apparently, he's really good at turning these raw ideas into concrete reality. Sam Harris should have the humility to realize he has NO IDEA how this is done. Trump lives in a different reality, a stratosphere occupied by a very small fraction of the human race. So he talks different.

He talks different. Quit with the pompous analysis, fool. He just talks different. But hey, I guess a guy who knows better than God has no problem being smarter than Trump.
This space for rent.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 4:32:59 PM
At 10/6/2016 4:09:15 PM, v3nesl wrote:

lol

Yeah, it's fascinating what Trump does to those who think they're smart because they've graded themselves as smart. Trump is an imbecile? He built a hugely successful business and he's an imbecile? Lefties always remind me of "reeling in the years" song by Steely Dan: "The things you count for knowledge, I can't understand".

What a lot of people obviously don't get is that Trump is used to a huge degree of delegation of implementation. You need that skill to run a big enterprise like Trump Inc, or, say, the United States of America. So in his "real life" he makes absurd statements like "We should built a hotel in Timbuktu". Only, apparently, he's really good at turning these raw ideas into concrete reality. Sam Harris should have the humility to realize he has NO IDEA how this is done. Trump lives in a different reality, a stratosphere occupied by a very small fraction of the human race. So he talks different.

He talks different. Quit with the pompous analysis, fool. He just talks different. But hey, I guess a guy who knows better than God has no problem being smarter than Trump.

That post makes many assumptions

(1) Yes to quote Trump "He builds things, great things, big things". He also refuses to release his Tax returns because it's going to show that he is dodging paying taxes, or that he is far less profitable than people think he is. There have been countless reports of him being over 600 million dollars in debt and losing profit on so many of his projects that it is mind blowing.

Trump is successful not entirely because of his own measure, but because of the ability he had to start. He had millions of dollars in loans from his father to get started. Do you know how many people in America or across the world could reach that type of success if they had an endless supply of money to tap into? Do you know how many people are just successful without the ability to tap into anything like that at all and who pay taxes and are not scared to show their tax returns to verify their profitability?

Having an idea to build a hotel in (x) and then turning it into a reality does not make you a successful businessman. Being able to produce a profitable business while paying taxes and keeping the idea up makes you good at what you do. Something he has failed at time and again.

That is not even the main concern of what Harris is saying. His business understanding is not the issue. It's his understanding of policy and world affairs. Being smart and shady at running a business does not entail that you can run the United States.

It's the level of which he speaks, his judgement when he decides and tries to push for policies that he does not understand, the way he reacts to criticism, the way in which he speaks using improvisation, etc.

Harris hit quite a few points that were lethal

(a) Johnson got crucified for making one political blunder. Trump literally and I do mean literally had no idea what the TRIAD was.

( Any other person running for office makes a mistake like that and they are disqualified. Trump makes mistakes like that at such a high pace that one mistake blunts the effect of the next. It's the bed of nails theory applied to politics. )

(b) Trump is the most unqualified candidate in history, and people are voting for him to "shake things up".

(Hillary is one of the most decorated and at least has a basic understanding of politics)

(c) The way he reacts on emotion is detrimental to the US

There was a great deal more in there but he dissected Trump
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 5:05:58 PM
At 10/6/2016 4:32:59 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 10/6/2016 4:09:15 PM, v3nesl wrote:

lol

That post makes many assumptions

(1) Yes to quote Trump "He builds things, great things, big things". He also refuses to release his Tax returns because it's going to show that he is dodging paying taxes, or that he is far less profitable than people think he is. There have been countless reports of him being over 600 million dollars in debt and losing profit on so many of his projects that it is mind blowing.

Trump is successful not entirely because of his own measure, but because of the ability he had to start. He had millions of dollars in loans from his father to get started. Do you know how many people in America or across the world could reach that type of success if they had an endless supply of money to tap into?

Very few. You've seen the stories, people who win the lottery. Very, very few of them parley it into a gazzillion dollar real estate business. And on the other side of the coin, if Mark Cuban woke up tomorrow with all his money somehow gone, he'd be a billionaire again within a few years. It's all about skill and know-how, not primarily about capital. If you've got the chops, somebody will put up the capital.

... Do you know how many people are just successful without the ability to tap into anything like that at all and who pay taxes and are not scared to show their tax returns to verify their profitability?

The issue I was addressing was whether he is an imbecile. Clearly he's not, and I question the intelligence of anyone who calls him that.

Having an idea to build a hotel in (x) and then turning it into a reality does not make you a successful businessman.

Yeah, it does. That's exactly what it does. Do YOU know how to pick the right location, select the right sort of hotel, and then get a hotel built and make a profit? I sure don't, and I doubt Harris does either. I'm guessing it's quite a bit harder than writing a book or doing YouTube videos.

Being able to produce a profitable business while paying taxes

Paying taxes makes you a good taxpayer. Misguided leftists think it makes you a patriot. But it doesn't make you smart.

Harris hit quite a few points that were lethal

(a) Johnson got crucified for making one political blunder. Trump literally and I do mean literally had no idea what the TRIAD was.

Neither do I, so <shrug> on that one. But Trump gets crucified every day in the press. That's part of being successful, dealing with adversity. I'm not sure how this point is supposed to be lethal. It sounds kind of juvenile to me, like saying it's lethal not to be asked to the prom.

( Any other person running for office makes a mistake like that and they are disqualified.

Ah, no, in America you are disqualified if and only if you don't get the votes.

(b) Trump is the most unqualified candidate in history, and people are voting for him to "shake things up".

Well, sort of, yeah. In a democracy sometimes you have to "throw the bums out". And that means you have to replace them with amateurs.

(Hillary is one of the most decorated and at least has a basic understanding of politics)

Oh, she has an understanding of politics, I'll grant you that. She and Bill have made a nice little fortune off of politics. Not sure how that's supposed to help me, though.

(c) The way he reacts on emotion is detrimental to the US

There was a great deal more in there but he dissected Trump

But he doesn't react on emotion, that's just more sophomoric nonsense. But I only listened to "take the oil", where I realized that Harris is clueless, really has no idea. For instance, Harris says that Trump would impoverish Iraq by taking the oil, but obviously that wouldn't be the case since they don't have it anyway. Iran and ISIS have the oil now. And "How would you do that logistically" - ? Really, Sam, we figured out how to subdue the country but we can't figure out how to secure the oil fields? Again, sophomoric nonsense. Harris is the amateur here. Trump is probably right, we should have taken [control of] the oil. Presumably we give it back to Iraq at some point, but dang, what a bargaining chip if we did so, eh? "You muslim factions figure out how to share power and get along with other, and when you're ready we'll turn control of the fields back to you"

btw, one of the thoughts about the whole Iraq rebuilding thing is that we failed because the Iraqis expected us to act like victors. "You won, so tell us what to do". But we didn't want to tell them what to do, and chaos ensued. So part of acting like victors probably should have been to take the oil fields. We should have offset our costs and used them as bargaining chips. But what do I know, I'm a heartless conservative, thinking only of making things better in the real world.

But it might be a bad idea to have taken the oil, don't get me wrong here. I'm only addressing this spluttering reaction that guys like Harris have, pretending to be so smart when the problem is really that they don't know how to think big. This seems to be a recurring problem for Harris - if somebody doesn't make sense to him then either they are an imbecile or don't exist.
This space for rent.