Jump to topic:

Kaine's failed attempt at p.c.

kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 6:13:10 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
this is so bizzare to me, he doesn't call himself a man, but rather a person, yet he calls hillary by female pronouns, is Kaine gender confused, neutral, questioning? well he come out as female? he's married and has children, did he forget he was a man? please explain.
"But my primary role is to be Hillary Clinton's right-hand person and strong supporter as she puts together the most historic administration possible. And I relish that role. I'm so proud of her."
https://www.washingtonpost.com...
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 6:29:31 PM
At 10/7/2016 6:13:10 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
this is so bizzare to me, he doesn't call himself a man, but rather a person, yet he calls hillary by female pronouns, is Kaine gender confused, neutral, questioning? well he come out as female? he's married and has children, did he forget he was a man? please explain.
"But my primary role is to be Hillary Clinton's right-hand person and strong supporter as she puts together the most historic administration possible. And I relish that role. I'm so proud of her."

"Right-hand man" is a casually sexist term that he changed to "right-hand person." I think you're reading way too much into a single line from a 90-minute debate.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 6:35:22 PM
At 10/7/2016 6:29:31 PM, Burzmali wrote:

"Right-hand man" is a casually sexist term that he changed to "right-hand person." I think you're reading way too much into a single line from a 90-minute debate.

how can it be sexist if the person saying it, is in fact a man? if he said she was his right hand man then sure, because it wouldn't make sense anyway calling a woman a man.

right-hand man
noun
1. an indispensable or invaluable assistant; right hand.
Also, right-hand woman. A trusted helper, as in Give it to Jill, she's my right-hand man. Based on the idea that in most people the right hand is the stronger of the two, this idiom today usually disregards gender, as in the example. However, in the the 17th and 18th centuries it also meant a soldier in a post of command on the right side of a cavalry unit, and then always denoted a man. [c. 1800 ]
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 6:37:34 PM
At 10/7/2016 6:35:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

how can it be sexist if the person saying it, is in fact a man? if he said she was his right hand man then sure, because it wouldn't make sense anyway calling a woman a man.

right-hand man
noun
Also, right-hand woman. A trusted helper, as in Give it to Jill, she's my right-hand man. Based on the idea that in most people the right hand is the stronger of the two, this idiom today usually disregards gender, as in the example. However, in the the 17th and 18th centuries it also meant a soldier in a post of command on the right side of a cavalry unit, and then always denoted a man. [c. 1800 ]

It implies that only men can fill the role. It's like if a company had a position of "IT Guy" instead of "IT Technician." It would seem to signal that only men can be employed at that position.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 6:44:42 PM
At 10/7/2016 6:37:34 PM, Burzmali wrote:

right-hand man
noun

It implies that only men can fill the role. It's like if a company had a position of "IT Guy" instead of "IT Technician." It would seem to signal that only men can be employed at that position.

sure that makes sense, but let's say Kaine was female, it still wouldn't have been ok to say "to be her right hand woman"? yes it originated during a time when women weren't equal, but like many words it's how they are used, seems overly sensitive to substitute person in, when it would be contextually and factually correct. it was a complete cave to the sjw, rather spineless, even if criticized for using man, it's obviously defensible and appropriate.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 6:51:04 PM
At 10/7/2016 6:44:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

right-hand man
noun

sure that makes sense, but let's say Kaine was female, it still wouldn't have been ok to say "to be her right hand woman"? yes it originated during a time when women weren't equal, but like many words it's how they are used, seems overly sensitive to substitute person in, when it would be contextually and factually correct. it was a complete cave to the sjw, rather spineless, even if criticized for using man, it's obviously defensible and appropriate.

It's about context. If he said "I'm her right-hand man," then it wouldn't be sexist. But he was talking about a role as needing someone to fill it, and that he happened to be the person in that role. As a parallel example, they both referred to Kaine as having been a congressman. Because they're talking about a role that he did fill at some point, that's not sexist. But if they were talking about a vacant congressional seat, they would say they were looking for a congressperson.

I agree it's nitpicky, but it also was a single line in a 90-minute debate. Of all the things to complain about either VP candidate saying, it ranks just below mispronouncing a word.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 7:07:10 PM
At 10/7/2016 6:51:04 PM, Burzmali wrote:

right-hand man
noun

It's about context. If he said "I'm her right-hand man," then it wouldn't be sexist. But he was talking about a role as needing someone to fill it, and that he happened to be the person in that role. As a parallel example, they both referred to Kaine as having been a congressman. Because they're talking about a role that he did fill at some point, that's not sexist. But if they were talking about a vacant congressional seat, they would say they were looking for a congressperson.

I agree it's nitpicky, but it also was a single line in a 90-minute debate. Of all the things to complain about either VP candidate saying, it ranks just below mispronouncing a word.

excellent explanation and what you said is perfectly logical, I really did learn something, thank you.
Honestly I'm not trying to be overly argumentative but have a sincere desire to understand, He said "my primary role" so the role was filled by him who is a man. so he can be a right hand man because he's talking about himself?
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 7:08:23 PM
At 10/7/2016 7:07:10 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

right-hand man
noun

excellent explanation and what you said is perfectly logical, I really did learn something, thank you.
Honestly I'm not trying to be overly argumentative but have a sincere desire to understand, He said "my primary role" so the role was filled by him who is a man. so he can be a right hand man because he's talking about himself?

Sure, maybe in the heat of the moment he just wasn't considering the context. :)
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 7:13:26 PM
At 10/7/2016 7:08:23 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 10/7/2016 7:07:10 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

right-hand man
noun

Sure, maybe in the heat of the moment he just wasn't considering the context. :)

yeah I think some have become overly sensitive to things that should be seen as trivial (myself included), anyway thanks for taking the time to explain it to me, much appreciated.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 7:49:21 PM
Congrats kev and buz. An adult 'debate' turned to a conversation. Much better discourse.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:14:09 PM
At 10/7/2016 7:49:21 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Congrats kev and buz. An adult 'debate' turned to a conversation. Much better discourse.

he didn't "feel" call me names, insult, was factual, that's how you get,deserve and earn respect, from me anyway.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:22:55 PM
At 10/7/2016 8:14:09 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 7:49:21 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

he didn't "feel" call me names, insult, was factual, that's how you get,deserve and earn respect, from me anyway.

That's how it should be with all adults.

Btw, had to weigh in on the cat that said you don't understand racism and used drug rehab, neighborhoods, and education... reading their feelings when you've been consistent on multiple threads irked me. If I misrepresented anything, my bad.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:35:52 PM

right-hand man
noun

I, Bronto "the studmuffin" Raptor, am Donald Trump's?

Right hand gender confused squid but partiall parakeet some days male, some days female kangaroo squid. Any questions?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:43:25 PM
At 10/7/2016 8:35:52 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

right-hand man
noun

I, Bronto "the studmuffin" Raptor, am Donald Trump's?

Right hand gender confused squid but partiall parakeet some days male, some days female kangaroo squid. Any questions?

you can't be a kangaroo and a squid, one has a spine the other is a politician.