Iran Q&A summary

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 11:03:41 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
https://wikileaks.org...

Very interesting email in the Wikileaks. It is a summary of a Q&A with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Zarif.

The PS includes an interesting comment about TPP and how it not passing would be a gift to China.

Read the entire thing.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 11:05:16 PM
8. He spent a good deal of time discussing Saudi Arabia. He said since his first days in office he has sought a dialogue, but Iranian overtures have been rebuffed. He was told by the Saudis, "leave the Arabs to ourselves". He recounted that he left the World Economic Forum immediately and made the long trip to Saudi Arabia for the funeral of King Abdullah. But he received barely a handshake for his efforts. Saudi Arabia also sees relations with Iran as a zero sum game. The Saudis think ISIS can help them against Iran. Iran has sent a new Ambassador to Saudi Arabia who they trust, and he hopes this will help the relationship.

This if true would not be surprising. There is some shat going down in SA, but with that said Iran also plays many sides to advance their agenda.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 11:17:02 PM
10. If we give funds to Hezbollah, they are a positive force in Lebanon, and have kept ISIS out of Lebanon.

This is interesting. Hezbollah as an authoritarian organization does bring stability and they are a significant player in destablizing the middle east in terms of their anti Israel stance.

The Syrian war has only made them stronger. As they work with Syria and Russia to defend Assad they are gaining serious weapons and experience and could end up as the #1 problem for Israel depending upon how Syria shakes out.

This entire mess should at least have us questioning what is the largest threat in the Middle East. Is it really ISIS, wahhabism, radical shiite groups like Hezbulla?. The answer is that it is a mixture of all, but one has to be very careful when policy favors one over the other.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 11:22:07 PM
P.S. On the unrelated issue of TPP, I am disappointed with the position Hillary took. Of course, I am fully aware of the politics of the issue, but she could have stressed the geo-political advantage of passing it, in terms of combating Chinese influence in Asia. Also, the environmental groups seem positive. She might have dealt with the deficiencies in the trade area by bilateral side agreements, as with NAFTA. Her position will complicate an already difficult fight to pass TPP; its defeat would be a gift to China.

I honestly don't know much about the terms of TPP. All trade deals benefit certain industries and screw others. I'm curious to know why this gentlemen concluded that its defeat would be a gift to China.

I would assume it relates to the high tarrifs that the US experience when exporting to certain Asian countries. Lowering those could make us more competitive versus China who does not have as high tarrifs when exporting to those countries????? Any insight to this?