Jump to topic:

___________ is a human right

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:41:03 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Often in political debate, people often use the argument that __________________ is a human right to support their reasoning. However, the question that I don't see people often answering is what criteria is used to determine if something is a human right. Can someone provide me with some answers?
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:44:21 AM
At 10/11/2016 12:41:03 AM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
Often in political debate, people often use the argument that __________________ is a human right to support their reasoning. However, the question that I don't see people often answering is what criteria is used to determine if something is a human right. Can someone provide me with some answers?

You can try this.

http://www.un.org...
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:47:15 AM
At 10/11/2016 12:44:21 AM, TBR wrote:

You can try this.

Doesn't necessarily solves the problem, it just moves up the chain of command. What is the logical reasoning behind the rights the United Nations have declared to be human rights?
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:51:41 AM

You can try this.

Well I do declare Foghorn Leghorn....
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:00:14 AM
At 10/11/2016 12:47:15 AM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

You can try this.

Doesn't necessarily solves the problem, it just moves up the chain of command. What is the logical reasoning behind the rights the United Nations have declared to be human rights?

I particularly enjoyed Article one of that sham document.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

So that means right after birth, they could possibly be unequal in dignity and rights? It never states that a person should be considered equal of dignity throughout his entire life, only at the moment of birth.... which means a mass rapist could possibly be considered unequal in dignity and/or rights...

Then comes the "should" part...this isn't a declaration..that's a flat out opinion...what a stupid start of a sham document. And what does the ability to reason have to do with promoting a specific behavior anyway? What if someone chooses not to act in a spirit of brotherhood, or what if they act like real blood brothers that fight over stupid things.... what if there really is no common ground? are all these rights then null and void? What a stupid, stupid garbage collection of declarations...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:40:21 AM
At 10/11/2016 12:47:15 AM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

You can try this.

You can read about the arguments for each at the same site.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:42:30 AM

anything associated with negative rights are considered a human right, if it falls outside of that, the speaker is just a retarded communist
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:43:56 AM
At 10/11/2016 1:42:30 AM, Wylted wrote:

anything associated with negative rights are considered a human right, if it falls outside of that, the speaker is just a retarded communist

Natural rights are the only rights that exist. Human rights, while they are meant to be one thing, happen to turn out to be another - a metamorphosis of the idea of rights to the idea of entitlements.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:44:54 AM
At 10/11/2016 1:43:56 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Natural rights are the only rights that exist. Human rights, while they are meant to be one thing, happen to turn out to be another - a metamorphosis of the idea of rights to the idea of entitlements.

yeah negative rights is just another way to say natural rights.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:46:17 AM
At 10/11/2016 1:44:54 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/11/2016 1:43:56 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

yeah negative rights is just another way to say natural rights.

I understand that.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.