Jump to topic:

Hilary Shouldn't Be First Female President

WomenPresidents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 11:42:56 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
I can never understand why some people decide who they are going to vote for based on gender. I think that it's a very naive way for a person to vote. The president is an extremely important role in everyone's life in the United States. They can affect the entire nation just by passing or vetoing a bill. There are checks and balances that make it so the president doesn"t have too much power but its still is the most powerful single political position in our nation and possibly even the world. This being said how can someone choose a person of this importance just based off of their gender. I know women's rights advocates really want a female president because it would show that women can do every job just like a man but voting purely off that motivation can be dangerous to the United States and can affect your everyday life. On another note, Hilary Clinton would be a horrible choice to be the first woman president. Having the first woman president is a huge deal and if we were to have won won"t everyone want her to be amazing. The people that are voting for her because of her policies would want her to stay true to them and make the country a better place. Then the women's rights advocates would want her to be good because she is representing all women. If she is a weak president and does a horrible job then people might think that women aren"t capable of being president and would be a major setback to women's rights movement. Because of this, it would be in the women's rights advocates best interest to wait a few more years until they can find a woman that would be an extremely strong and great president so when she is the first woman president she leaves a positive imprint on the nation.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:17:35 PM
At 10/11/2016 11:42:56 AM, WomenPresidents wrote:
I can never understand why some people decide who they are going to vote for based on gender. I think that it's a very naive way for a person to vote. The president is an extremely important role in everyone's life in the United States. They can affect the entire nation just by passing or vetoing a bill. There are checks and balances that make it so the president doesn"t have too much power but its still is the most powerful single political position in our nation and possibly even the world. This being said how can someone choose a person of this importance just based off of their gender. I know women's rights advocates really want a female president because it would show that women can do every job just like a man but voting purely off that motivation can be dangerous to the United States and can affect your everyday life. On another note, Hilary Clinton would be a horrible choice to be the first woman president. Having the first woman president is a huge deal and if we were to have won won"t everyone want her to be amazing. The people that are voting for her because of her policies would want her to stay true to them and make the country a better place. Then the women's rights advocates would want her to be good because she is representing all women. If she is a weak president and does a horrible job then people might think that women aren"t capable of being president and would be a major setback to women's rights movement. Because of this, it would be in the women's rights advocates best interest to wait a few more years until they can find a woman that would be an extremely strong and great president so when she is the first woman president she leaves a positive imprint on the nation.

Puppet sock.
RayOfWisdom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 5:24:42 PM

Because your piece is provocative and the title actively drew me in, I would like to commend you. But the argument itself is weak because it relies heavily on a misconception. While I agree that it would be shallow and uninformed for one to vote solely on the basis of gender, I think it's safe to say that of those voting for her, she is being chosen because she is seen as more qualified, and not solely because she is a woman. Women's rights advocates do not seek to obtain undeserved positions for women just on the basis of womanhood. Indeed, this is a misconception about feminism that is childish and shallow in its oversimplification.

If you were unaware, feminism does not exist to promote misandry (man-hating). The presupposition of the feminist argument is that, due to a long history of oppressive institutions and social structures, women and men have not been/are not treated equally. Feminism seeks to correct this social ill and achieve balance between the genders by instituting fairness. This is what is meant by "equal rights." That inequality exists between the genders is an undeniable reality for most cultures, including that of the United States, but discussing this at length would pull me into a different topic.

If your claim (that people just want the first female president and thus are voting for Hillary) is informed by anyone you know personally, then I would like to remind you that it is very difficult to make generalizations that hold up on a large scale. You may make a generalization for the population of people that you know or even for the people you observe (although this is less valid), but it is doubtful that your generalization about her constituents is true because of the great amount of people such a generalization encompasses.

Furthermore, while you have stated that "Hilary Clinton would be a horrible choice to be the first woman president" your argument has not convinced me as to why that would be the case. Now, you seem to be suggesting that it is because she would pursue different aims in office than those she claims to support during her campaign. To this, I encourage you to review her voting record as a Senator and tell me what inconsistencies you find, if any.

Finally, I cannot deny that she has publicly lied in the past, but it is unfair and illogical to scrutinize her for this and not also scrutinize her opponent for violating the same standard. His history for lying, flip-flopping, and contradicting himself is illustrious and well-documented.

In conclusion, you seem to have an oversimplified understanding of the complex operations of politics and society. Contrary to what you seem to think, there is no one group of "women's rights advocates" who select one female for candidacy and support her just because she is a woman.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 3:54:49 AM
I don't know why you are discussing so much about it. You are like choosing between cancer and aids, you are going to die anyway. LOL

BR
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 5:15:09 AM
At 10/13/2016 3:54:49 AM, Archaholic wrote:
I don't know why you are discussing so much about it. You are like choosing between cancer and aids, you are going to die anyway. LOL

BR

Everyone has to die sometime.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 7:57:49 AM

Oh, hi again, Bronto
Meh!