Jump to topic:

American democracy is in serious trouble

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 11:29:16 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
America is quite obviously a very polarized country. As of 2014, 27% of Democrats and 36% of Republicans see the opposite party as a threat to the nation's well-being (http://www.people-press.org...) We have a presidential candidate that's called for his supporters to beat people up, reminiscing happily about "the old days" when protesters would be "carried out on a stretcher."

Across the pond, the refugee crisis is giving rise to far-right nationalist groups like the National Front in France and the NDP in Germany, causing anti-Islam sentiments that are reflected (to a lesser extent) in the Americas. https://www.washingtonpost.com... Such bigotry will only grow as more refugees pour in without any feasible solution, and we're already seeing religious freedom being curtailed with the ban of the burqini--certainly a minor thing, but we can definitely expect more as anti-Islam feelings grow.

Over here, rejection of the mainstream media on both sides has also led to a rejection of facts (http://mediamatters.org...), leading to conspiracy theories like birtherism and "predictions" by Trump that the election will be rigged.

On the other side, we're seeing troubling freedom of speech restrictions from the left. Princeton University, for example, has banned "sexist" language such as fireman and freshman from campus documents.

Combined, these things do not seem to bode well for American democracy. I have faith that it can endure, but these next few decades will likely be the largest test on the American experiment since the Civil War.

Your thoughts?
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 11:54:38 PM
At 10/12/2016 11:29:16 PM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
America is quite obviously a very polarized country. As of 2014, 27% of Democrats and 36% of Republicans see the opposite party as a threat to the nation's well-being (http://www.people-press.org...) We have a presidential candidate that's called for his supporters to beat people up, reminiscing happily about "the old days" when protesters would be "carried out on a stretcher."

Across the pond, the refugee crisis is giving rise to far-right nationalist groups like the National Front in France and the NDP in Germany, causing anti-Islam sentiments that are reflected (to a lesser extent) in the Americas. https://www.washingtonpost.com... Such bigotry will only grow as more refugees pour in without any feasible solution, and we're already seeing religious freedom being curtailed with the ban of the burqini--certainly a minor thing, but we can definitely expect more as anti-Islam feelings grow.

Over here, rejection of the mainstream media on both sides has also led to a rejection of facts (http://mediamatters.org...), leading to conspiracy theories like birtherism and "predictions" by Trump that the election will be rigged.

On the other side, we're seeing troubling freedom of speech restrictions from the left. Princeton University, for example, has banned "sexist" language such as fireman and freshman from campus documents.

I don't see how language guidelines for official documents (which, lets face it, no one reads) at a private educational institution is a threat to democracy or a restriction of free speech.

Combined, these things do not seem to bode well for American democracy. I have faith that it can endure, but these next few decades will likely be the largest test on the American experiment since the Civil War.

Your thoughts?

Just watch this documentary
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:00:39 AM
middle of the road fallacy. If I point out everyone's stupidity that makes me a genius and right, Hey look at me I am George Carlin, just not funny.
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:10:07 AM
At 10/12/2016 11:54:38 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 10/12/2016 11:29:16 PM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

I don't see how language guidelines for official documents (which, lets face it, no one reads) at a private educational institution is a threat to democracy or a restriction of free speech.

Your thoughts?

Just watch this documentary

Yeah, I know. I just included that stuff about Princeton so people could have a substantive discussion rather than arguing about my bias.

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:10:37 AM
At 10/13/2016 12:00:39 AM, Wylted wrote:
middle of the road fallacy. If I point out everyone's stupidity that makes me a genius and right, Hey look at me I am George Carlin, just not funny.

How so?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:13:31 AM
At 10/13/2016 12:10:37 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

How so?

Let me just ask you this question.

Is the Democratic party seriously flawed?

How about the GOP?

Is some way in between the stupidity of America's Left and the stupidity of America's right correct?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:14:48 AM

How so?

Anyway your initial statement is biased, Trump never directed supporters to attack anyone or made any predictions of a rigged system
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:18:10 AM
At 10/13/2016 12:13:31 AM, Wylted wrote:

How so?

Yes.
How about the GOP?
Definitely--way more than the Dems in my opinion.
Is some way in between the stupidity of America's Left and the stupidity of America's right correct?
I'd say so--or at least that the stupidity of both parties is preventing us from having rational discussions that allow us to determine what is correct and what is not.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:28:48 AM
At 10/13/2016 12:18:10 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
At 10/13/2016 12:13:31 AM, Wylted wrote:

How so?

Yes.
How about the GOP?
Definitely--way more than the Dems in my opinion.
I'd say so--or at least that the stupidity of both parties is preventing us from having rational discussions that allow us to determine what is correct and what is not.

See, I called it. Good job unfunny George Carlin
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:29:28 AM

How so?

"Yeah, I know. I just included that stuff about Princeton so people could have a substantive discussion rather than arguing about my bias."
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:38:38 AM
It's all media hype and diversionary tactics away from real issues that we face. We have become an Oligarchy and there' s not much we can do to stymie its advance since it has become globalized.