Jump to topic:

Mosul

Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 3:21:46 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
So there has been more talk of this as late (outgrowth of debate #2).

So the combatants are:

Iraqi army
Iraqi special forces
Peshmerga
Shi'a militias
Several thousand Turkish forces in Iraq that were asked to leave but said not till Mosul is secure

Vs.

An estimated 10-20k Isis fighters

1. Do you believe this will be covered fairly (politics, election specifically)
2. Should we lend air power?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 3:27:25 PM
At 10/17/2016 3:21:46 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

So the combatants are:

Iraqi army
Iraqi special forces
Peshmerga
Shi'a militias
Several thousand Turkish forces in Iraq that were asked to leave but said not till Mosul is secure

Vs.

perhaps targeted air strikes (vehicles and possible command posts) our financial cost for all these years has been so huge, we need to cut back at some point.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 3:39:32 PM

So the combatants are:

Iraqi army
Iraqi special forces
Peshmerga
Shi'a militias

Vs.

No, the war with ISIS has not been covered well. The perception is that ISIS is winning. It is not. It is almost regulated to underground ops in Lybia where we have supported the fight.

It will take considerable effort for Iraq to root it out, but there is nothing that suggests they can't with our help.

Absolutely. Why not, especially if it is welcomed. It actually helps us with leverage to putt pressure on the Shia leadership in Iraq so they work on the Sunni - Shia divide.

If the Iraqi army with Iran simply clears ISIL controlled areas and indiscriminately kills all they will continue the problem and make it worse in the long run.

We don't need a cycle of Sunni radicalization in Central & North Iraq festering for the next 100 years.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 4:02:49 PM
I'm letting this thread flourish or whither organically. Not a troll or candidate thread. Just sick of election tripe when there's plenty to discuss.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 5:07:07 PM

So the combatants are:

Iraqi army
Iraqi special forces
Peshmerga
Shi'a militias

Vs.

I don't know what the correct number is, I have seen several tossed about. Regardless, it is not worth the hype, and it is not our fight.

We have never done anything positive in the middle-east. We have to get off this never ending string of misadventures in a place we simply don't understand. ISIS will be defeated by the people there, and they are no more a threat to us than any other group of radicals.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 9:36:28 PM
At 10/17/2016 5:07:07 PM, TBR wrote:

So the combatants are:

Iraqi army
Iraqi special forces
Peshmerga
Shi'a militias

Vs.

I don't know what the correct number is, I have seen several tossed about. Regardless, it is not worth the hype, and it is not our fight.

We have never done anything positive in the middle-east. We have to get off this never ending string of misadventures in a place we simply don't understand. ISIS will be defeated by the people there, and they are no more a threat to us than any other group of radicals.

Nyt has 10-20k. USA Today 4-5k. Lol

Ironic... the left and right of center say no aid militarily... others are for, at least in air support.

I do like all the pics and videos I've seen so far... bradleys, m1a1 Abrams. Wait, those were ours! Lol
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 10:47:10 PM
At 10/17/2016 9:36:28 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/17/2016 5:07:07 PM, TBR wrote:

So the combatants are:

Iraqi army
Iraqi special forces
Peshmerga
Shi'a militias

Vs.

Nyt has 10-20k. USA Today 4-5k. Lol

Ironic... the left and right of center say no aid militarily... others are for, at least in air support.

I do like all the pics and videos I've seen so far... bradleys, m1a1 Abrams. Wait, those were ours! Lol

Yea. Both the left AND right are tired of wasting blood and treasure on this mess. Its time to just stop.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 12:41:54 AM
At 10/18/2016 12:29:39 AM, slo1 wrote:
http://www.slate.com...

Interesting read. I didn't realize Turkey has troops that could enter the fray.

Yessir... Iraqs not too happy about it. And Turkeys like 'so'.

Another thing to ponder on intervention...

Turkey is against the Kurds, Iraq isn't very friendly with them, and the Kurds hate both. Turkey is in NATO, we've explicitly and implicitly supported the Kurds since saddam gassed them in 88, and we did wage 2 wars against the Arabs in Iraq... not to mention the shi'a militias supplied by the Quds from Iran.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 1:01:36 AM
I don't know if the USS Zumwalt will come in handy, But that guy Ray Mabus is mentioned in the prophecies of nostrodomus.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 2:37:12 PM
Yes we should absolutely get involved in this quagmire that's bound to develop (remember turkey has troops in Iraq too...)

http://www.foxnews.com...
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 9:20:46 PM
And ISIS attacks Irbil, killing 13 including 4 Iranian workers. Irbil is Kurd controlled.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 3:18:35 PM
One word: awesome

http://www.foxnews.com...

And why we don't need to be involved (see airstrike-explosion at mosque killing 17 we denied was ours).