Jump to topic:

The Republican Party's policies and goals

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 4:37:32 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
After the final presidential debate, a friend and I discussed some of the details. It goes without saying that he hates the republican party and conservatives generally, specifically for their stances on social issues. He confessed that he couldn't understand how anybody could support the Republican party, stating that all they are is rich white people trying to maintain power and wealth. I mentioned Hillary Clinton as a prime counter example. He clarifies that Republican stances on social issues are the mechanisms used to maintain said power and wealth. I caught him on this and he quickly deflected to another topic (if you want to know: shaming me, lol).

But I ask DDO: is there truth behind my friend's statement that being pro gun, anti-gay, anti-minority, anti-women, etc, is responsible for the maintenance of power and wealth?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 4:43:23 AM
At 10/20/2016 4:37:32 AM, ben2974 wrote:
After the final presidential debate, a friend and I discussed some of the details. It goes without saying that he hates the republican party and conservatives generally, specifically for their stances on social issues. He confessed that he couldn't understand how anybody could support the Republican party, stating that all they are is rich white people trying to maintain power and wealth. I mentioned Hillary Clinton as a prime counter example. He clarifies that Republican stances on social issues are the mechanisms used to maintain said power and wealth. I caught him on this and he quickly deflected to another topic (if you want to know: shaming me, lol).

But I ask DDO: is there truth behind my friend's statement that being pro gun, anti-gay, anti-minority, anti-women, etc, is responsible for the maintenance of power and wealth?

Both parties maintain the 1%
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 4:50:03 AM

Your friend has bought into the myth. I also agree with Grey.

In my opinion, most people's problem with the rich and powerful is the fact they aren't in that club. Or simply jealousy and resentment.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 5:03:22 AM
But do these social policies have any roll in helping conservatives to maintain power, and if they do, is it significant? I know it's super easy to counter for pro gun rights and anti-minorities, since those are factors largely independent in terms of determining economic prospects. But what about, for example, being anti-gay? If you're determined to make life harder for gays, that would make their economic ascent more difficult, allowing for the conservative to more easily maintain power and wealth. Framed another way: if conservatives don't like gays, they'll do what they can to minimize their influence (like restricting marriage) so that they can't have as much an impact on conservatives' position of power and wealth.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 5:09:36 AM
At 10/20/2016 5:03:22 AM, ben2974 wrote:
But do these social policies have any roll in helping conservatives to maintain power, and if they do, is it significant? I know it's super easy to counter for pro gun rights and anti-minorities, since those are factors largely independent in terms of determining economic prospects. But what about, for example, being anti-gay? If you're determined to make life harder for gays, that would make their economic ascent more difficult, allowing for the conservative to more easily maintain power and wealth. Framed another way: if conservatives don't like gays, they'll do what they can to minimize their influence (like restricting marriage) so that they can't have as much an impact on conservatives' position of power and wealth.

You are presupposing that all 'conservatives' are alike. That all fit into a media driven label. That is far from true.

There is a vast swath of 'conservatives' that have 0 political/social opinion on any of the groups you define because they view conservatism in the political definition of the word and apply it as a restriction on government power and intrusion.

However, the term conservative fits a media driven narrative. Similarly, progressives/liberals don't all think alike but the term now has a narrative driven by the news cycle that many don't necessarily identify with.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 1:03:19 PM

you need better friends, it really boils down to some basic things, people need help and what is the best way to do that, the left says give them hand outs and when they are ready they will stand on their own, the right is give them the things they need so they can make it on their own, enabling vs empowering, there's a saying supposedly other countries have for the U.S. "only in the U.S. are the poor fat" you make people dependent on government hand outs which means you need more government. You "friend" seems disrespectful to your arguments and opinions but if you are going to associate with liberals like that you should expect more of the same.
Ben Carson and his popularity is a great example of anti-minority? Chaffetz, Rubio, Cruz? you can search the women yourself.
but yeah there's no rich white democrats lol
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 1:15:29 PM

Last I checked anti-women and anti-minority are not republican stances. Anti-minority is a historically democrat stance. Anti-gay is only really common in the religious right, and not in general conservatives, in fact most support it, including Trump. Lastly pro-gun is to stop people who try to abuse power, it has evolved since then but that is the original purpose.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 3:27:13 PM
At 10/20/2016 1:03:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

you need better friends, it really boils down to some basic things, people need help and what is the best way to do that, the left says give them hand outs and when they are ready they will stand on their own, the right is give them the things they need so they can make it on their own, enabling vs empowering, there's a saying supposedly other countries have for the U.S. "only in the U.S. are the poor fat" you make people dependent on government hand outs which means you need more government. You "friend" seems disrespectful to your arguments and opinions but if you are going to associate with liberals like that you should expect more of the same.
Ben Carson and his popularity is a great example of anti-minority? Chaffetz, Rubio, Cruz? you can search the women yourself.
but yeah there's no rich white democrats lol

Yeah, I am well aware of the liberal mindset. Truth is, I become less and less loyal to the democratic cause every week. Though, I'm not necessarily switching camps at this point either. It obviously made no sense to say that Republican are anti-minorities, considering how ethnicity has no clean relationship with party affiliation
TeaPatriot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 3:39:38 PM
At 10/20/2016 5:03:22 AM, ben2974 wrote:

Conservatives can be radically different in levels of extremity

I for example am against public schooling, no minimum wage and no corporate welfare

However there may be many conservatives that dont agree with me
Chairman of Economic Forum Recovery
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 3:56:54 PM

Pro-gun? Yes. Anti-gay? No. The very people targeted by so-called "homophobes" would be better off in a society where homosexuality was a strong taboo (which would mean that fewer people would live the gay lifestyle, and thus be in much better physical and mental health). Anti-woman? Opposition to abortion is no more anti-woman than opposition to slavery was anti-white. Anti-minority? No. A comfortable welfare system actually holds back minorities from escaping poverty in many cases, and the money allocated towards welfare isn't the government's to spend. What'll really help the black community is increased funding for schools and a radical change in mindset.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 4:01:52 PM
At 10/20/2016 3:56:54 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Pro-gun? Yes. Anti-gay? No. The very people targeted by so-called "homophobes" would be better off in a society where homosexuality was a strong taboo (which would mean that fewer people would live the gay lifestyle, and thus be in much better physical and mental health). Anti-woman? Opposition to abortion is no more anti-woman than opposition to slavery was anti-white. Anti-minority? No. A comfortable welfare system actually holds back minorities from escaping poverty in many cases, and the money allocated towards welfare isn't the government's to spend. What'll really help the black community is increased funding for schools and a radical change in mindset.

how about jobs? larger tax paying work base is a benefit to all.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 4:11:12 PM
At 10/20/2016 4:01:52 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Democrats are better economists than Republicans.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 4:24:32 PM
At 10/20/2016 4:11:12 PM, inferno wrote:

yeah I dunno, look at the black net worth line erf, and all the points from 2010
http://www.pewresearch.org...
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 4:41:12 PM

No, not at all. People can maintain power and wealth on invariably any type of issue and the desire to maintain them both isn't restricted to the right. If anything the Republican Party has decreased its chances of re-gaining power by not changing its stance on various issues or attempting to really appeal to a wider voter base.

Actually...it's more likely that power is maintained with agreeing (or at least pretending to agree with) the opinions that the general populace mostly agrees with...at least in western democracies.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 4:56:32 PM

I agree with everything you said except for the part about gays. I can't believe you think that it would be better for gays to remain in the closet and fear their own identity. It is precisely the tabooing of homosexuality that makes gays have to think twice about their own being, causing long-term emotional pain. Free expression is a core American value, and it's one for a reason.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 5:09:33 PM
At 10/20/2016 4:56:32 PM, ben2974 wrote:

I agree with everything you said except for the part about gays. I can't believe you think that it would be better for gays to remain in the closet and fear their own identity. It is precisely the tabooing of homosexuality that makes gays have to think twice about their own being, causing long-term emotional pain. Free expression is a core American value, and it's one for a reason.

It's better if people with same-sex attractions go "There'll be serious costs if I go gay, so I might as well say no to that and go fall in love with someone of the opposite gender instead."
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 5:13:05 PM
At 10/20/2016 5:09:33 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/20/2016 4:56:32 PM, ben2974 wrote:

It's better if people with same-sex attractions go "There'll be serious costs if I go gay, so I might as well say no to that and go fall in love with someone of the opposite gender instead."

I'm gonna be a lib and just say that I don't feel like responding to this.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 5:33:52 PM
At 10/20/2016 4:41:12 PM, Emilrose wrote:

No, not at all. People can maintain power and wealth on invariably any type of issue and the desire to maintain them both isn't restricted to the right. If anything the Republican Party has decreased its chances of re-gaining power by not changing its stance on various issues or attempting to really appeal to a wider voter base.

Actually...it's more likely that power is maintained with agreeing (or at least pretending to agree with) the opinions that the general populace mostly agrees with...at least in western democracies.

is there not the argument that suppressing "rights" of a group will keep them "in place," thus allowing those in power to maintain it? Think slavery/pre civil-rights era for blacks.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 5:41:09 PM
At 10/20/2016 5:33:52 PM, ben2974 wrote:
At 10/20/2016 4:41:12 PM, Emilrose wrote:

is there not the argument that suppressing "rights" of a group will keep them "in place," thus allowing those in power to maintain it? Think slavery/pre civil-rights era for blacks.

Any form of oppression represents fear of social economic progressive change.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 5:55:13 PM
At 10/20/2016 4:24:32 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

yeah I dunno, look at the black net worth line erf, and all the points from 2010

Well I hate to break it to you. Does trying to put down other ethic groups make you feel better. There are way to many White Women screwing Black Men nowadays for us to even take people like you seriously anymore. Anything else you wanna add.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 6:04:14 PM
At 10/20/2016 5:55:13 PM, inferno wrote:

Well I hate to break it to you. Does trying to put down other ethic groups make you feel better. There are way to many White Women screwing Black Men nowadays for us to even take people like you seriously anymore. Anything else you wanna add.

um I didn't make the graph but was drawing your attention to what seems to be a big problem than few seem to notice, no idea where you came up with that warped opinion or how you make such a bizarre interpretation of what I wrote, sounds leftist think to me, didn't know you were one, maybe you are having a stroke I dunno, if you can understand the graph (i'll explain it) the net worth of blacks specifically was the highest during G.W.B. then under Obama is came down to record lows, so your claim that Democrats are better economist, maybe not be that accurate, read what is written and leave your own spin and emotion out of it if you can.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 6:18:16 PM
At 10/20/2016 6:04:14 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

um I didn't make the graph but was drawing your attention to what seems to be a big problem than few seem to notice, no idea where you came up with that warped opinion or how you make such a bizarre interpretation of what I wrote, sounds leftist think to me, didn't know you were one, maybe you are having a stroke I dunno, if you can understand the graph (i'll explain it) the net worth of blacks specifically was the highest during G.W.B. then under Obama is came down to record lows, so your claim that Democrats are better economist, maybe not be that accurate, read what is written and leave your own spin and emotion out of it if you can.

If Mitt Romney was president right now youd be eating Vienna sausages out of a can. I can assure that outside of the fake 24 hour news cycle, Blacks are doing quite well actually. Most of who do have jobs. Most of who have graduated from school. Most of who have pushed Whites out of their own neighborhoods and primetime tv shows spots. Progress is being made. Underlying and invisible to people like you. Which is why people like you and those who support Trump wants this party to end. But it will not. Not now, not ever.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 6:55:41 PM
At 10/20/2016 6:18:16 PM, inferno wrote:

If Mitt Romney was president right now youd be eating Vienna sausages out of a can. I can assure that outside of the fake 24 hour news cycle, Blacks are doing quite well actually. Most of who do have jobs. Most of who have graduated from school. Most of who have pushed Whites out of their own neighborhoods and primetime tv shows spots. Progress is being made. Underlying and invisible to people like you. Which is why people like you and those who support Trump wants this party to end. But it will not. Not now, not ever.

the graph spanned years 1983-2013, where you got 24 hours from who knows, have you in fact sustained some recent head trauma?
63% high school graduation rate for blacks is doing quite well?
http://datacenter.kidscount.org...
teen births, abortions already stated in a different thread, murder rate etc etc
http://www.hhs.gov...
if you are happy with the current trends and progress then enjoy and have a nice day.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:02:51 PM
At 10/20/2016 6:55:41 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

the graph spanned years 1983-2013, where you got 24 hours from who knows, have you in fact sustained some recent head trauma?
teen births, abortions already stated in a different thread, murder rate etc etc
if you are happy with the current trends and progress then enjoy and have a nice day.

Yes those are government controlled facts. Again you need to do some research on the decline of poverty. And on those black owned businesses, and wealthy affluent neighborhoods. Not only here, but in Africa, and other parts of the world, too. Cherry picking is what you Trumpettes do. And you are going to cherry pick your bloodline out of existence because of your ignorance.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:04:51 PM
"how about jobs? larger tax paying work base is a benefit to all."

People compete for jobs. If you have a job, it may be because you were hired instead of the other person who might have gotten that job or because you replaced someone who got fired.
American society is based on competition. If a company can bring in the same money while having fewer employees, they will have higher profits.
Therefore at some time in the future the majority of Americans will be unemployed. Outsourcing and replacing workers with automation could do this.
The majority of Americans will be retired, on disability, in school, on welfare or working off the books. The majority of voters will also be unemployed.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:15:05 PM
At 10/20/2016 7:02:51 PM, inferno wrote:

Yes those are government controlled facts. Again you need to do some research on the decline of poverty. And on those black owned businesses, and wealthy affluent neighborhoods. Not only here, but in Africa, and other parts of the world, too. Cherry picking is what you Trumpettes do. And you are going to cherry pick your bloodline out of existence because of your ignorance.

ah everything is a government conspiracy, you're one of those, but all for government entitlements, those are ok right no problem with that? lol, not cherry picking anything, but I'll be sure to check the sources you provided....yeah I don't know much about Africa cause well I never been there, never plan on going there so there's that. funny YOU would use the word ignorance, how ironic.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:32:27 PM
At 10/20/2016 7:15:05 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

ah everything is a government conspiracy, you're one of those, but all for government entitlements, those are ok right no problem with that? lol, not cherry picking anything, but I'll be sure to check the sources you provided....yeah I don't know much about Africa cause well I never been there, never plan on going there so there's that. funny YOU would use the word ignorance, how ironic.

Sorry. But I am not on welfare my friend. I do believe you are one of those simple minded, shallow, and politically expendable White males who thinks he knows. But when the curtain rolls up, the world realizes he knows nothing about nothing. You don't even know where Blacks came from. And no its not Africa. You got a lot to learn about us and our genetics, and dna. But instead of stooping to your level. Ill let you alone so this can sink into your soul. That's if you still have one on election day.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:47:42 PM
At 10/20/2016 7:32:27 PM, inferno wrote:

Sorry. But I am not on welfare my friend. I do believe you are one of those simple minded, shallow, and politically expendable White males who thinks he knows. But when the curtain rolls up, the world realizes he knows nothing about nothing. You don't even know where Blacks came from. And no its not Africa. You got a lot to learn about us and our genetics, and dna. But instead of stooping to your level. Ill let you alone so this can sink into your soul. That's if you still have one on election day.

Hm.... where did blacks come from?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:52:00 PM
At 10/20/2016 7:47:42 PM, ben2974 wrote:

Lets just say, we have a different energy field and inner life force than you do. I realize that is something so complex and too vastly surreal for you to even comprehend. But the truth remains here. What you can't see, just might destroy you in the end.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:59:51 PM
At 10/20/2016 7:52:00 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/20/2016 7:47:42 PM, ben2974 wrote:

Lets just say, we have a different energy field and inner life force than you do. I realize that is something so complex and too vastly surreal for you to even comprehend. But the truth remains here. What you can't see, just might destroy you in the end.

Seems like a racist thing to suggest. Unless you're saying this "difference" offers no advantages.