Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Duterte

triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:37:55 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

He's the reason why you guys should still be controlled by us >:-(
XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:39:45 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:37:55 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

He's the reason why you guys should still be controlled by us >:-(

Lol, control your cops first please.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:40:34 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:39:45 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:37:55 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

He's the reason why you guys should still be controlled by us >:-(

Lol, control your cops first please.

Nah the media exaggerates them, now tell everybody your country has 6 months to prepare for re-colonization.
XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:49:51 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:40:34 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

Nah the media exaggerates them, now tell everybody your country has 6 months to prepare for re-colonization.

Sorry, no oil here.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:50:21 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

He's a buffoon, but I kind of like him.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:51:27 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:49:51 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:40:34 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

Nah the media exaggerates them, now tell everybody your country has 6 months to prepare for re-colonization.

Sorry, no oil here.

I know, we're just taking back our rightful clay.
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:53:34 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.
Look-see here (http://www.debate.org...).

Furthermore, I surmise that the rise of Duterte is most likely the result of a geopolitical weakening for the Philippines in the South China Sea, which generates calls for tighter security and military preparedness. As such, he is a manifestation of Caesarism, a return to the Marcos-era strongman (http://www.debate.org...).
XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:54:00 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:50:21 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

He's a buffoon, but I kind of like him.

I'm surprised you like him. What makes him so likable to you?
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 6:02:13 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:54:00 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:50:21 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

He's a buffoon, but I kind of like him.

I'm surprised you like him. What makes him so likable to you?

His hatred for degeneracy.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 6:11:55 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:53:34 PM, NHN wrote:
Furthermore, I surmise that the rise of Duterte is most likely the result of a geopolitical weakening for the Philippines in the South China Sea, which generates calls for tighter security and military preparedness. As such, he is a manifestation of Caesarism, a return to the Marcos-era strongman (http://www.debate.org...).

I disagree. Duterte became president because of the severe government corruption and drug lords running around in the Philippines. It's not about the South China Sea. In fact, we won the Spratly islands over China already.

Though I do somewhat agree that Duterte is a manifestation of Caesarism. He is, in a way, a Trump version of the Philippines who share a similar motto "Make *insert country here* great again!"
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 6:16:53 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 6:11:55 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:53:34 PM, NHN wrote:
Furthermore, I surmise that the rise of Duterte is most likely the result of a geopolitical weakening for the Philippines in the South China Sea, which generates calls for tighter security and military preparedness. As such, he is a manifestation of Caesarism, a return to the Marcos-era strongman (http://www.debate.org...).

I disagree. Duterte became president because of the severe government corruption and drug lords running around in the Philippines. It's not about the South China Sea. In fact, we won the Spratly islands over China already.

Though I do somewhat agree that Duterte is a manifestation of Caesarism. He is, in a way, a Trump version of the Philippines who share a similar motto "Make *insert country here* great again!"

Unlike the Philippines, Trump is doomed because America was never great at any time in history.
XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 6:20:09 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 6:16:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Unlike the Philippines, Trump is doomed because America was never great at any time in history.

Philippines was never great either. The closest "great" moment we had was when we had a dictator to finally build us infrastructures and make our economy hardcore during his reign.
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 7:52:46 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 6:11:55 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:53:34 PM, NHN wrote:
Furthermore, I surmise that the rise of Duterte is most likely the result of a geopolitical weakening for the Philippines in the South China Sea, which generates calls for tighter security and military preparedness. As such, he is a manifestation of Caesarism, a return to the Marcos-era strongman (http://www.debate.org...).

I disagree. Duterte became president because of the severe government corruption and drug lords running around in the Philippines. It's not about the South China Sea. In fact, we won the Spratly islands over China already.
The entire world is run by drug lords or military regimes; it is ultimately the size and scope of the state monopoly on violence that ultimately determines their power. Even the peaceful north of Sweden is dominated by this logic, as the central government lacks the resources to block the sale of Eastern European amphetamines. For his part, Duterte has made it the cornerstone of his political career to protect the middle class against society's destabilizing elements. But the mounting pressure on Philippine society is external rather than internal, an immediate result of American disengagement following the end of the Cold War.

Geopolitically, the Philippines is in a situation where it cannot defend its own territory without allying itself with a power stronger than its greatest adversary. China, Asia's foremost land power, is its natural enemy, which is why the Philippines has been reliant on American assistance to maintain stability -- effectively propping up military dictatorships from colonial times and on. With the end of the Cold War, as America gained effective control of all of the world's sea-bound trade routes, the Clinton administration redefined America's objectives in East Asia from security cooperation to trade modernization and economic reform. However, this deregulation of cross-border ventures turned out to be great for risk-taking drug lords and a disaster for the stability of society -- and this is as relevant to Russia as it is to the Philippines. And since the military support for Western allies dropped, the nations in the region were suddenly left to fend for themselves while facing ever greater threats: a rising China, Islamic terrorism, illicit drug trade, rampant crime, etc. It is in such conditions that a Caesarist strongman arises.

Though I do somewhat agree that Duterte is a manifestation of Caesarism. He is, in a way, a Trump version of the Philippines who share a similar motto "Make *insert country here* great again!"
Precisely. Beyond Trump, think Abe in Japan, Modi in India, or Putin in Russia. It regards strongman tactics to weed out society's worst and most corrupting elements; this is then set to be followed by an era of restoration. As such, Caesarism -- however brutish -- does not regard tyranny but a long-term plan for revitalization.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 7:53:48 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

I kinda pity you for having to live in the Philippines while that guy's president.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 7:57:43 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:55:22 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:53:34 PM, NHN wrote:
As such, he is a manifestation of Caesarism
What evidence do you have that he will become a dictator?
If you had followed the link (http://www.debate.org...), you would have seen that Caesarism is an alternative to both democracy and tyranny. It regards a short-lived strongman era followed by a longer period of restoration. In the interim, Caesarism denotes post-constitutional rule under a charismatic strongman (re: Pinochet, Franco, etc.).
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:12:22 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 7:57:43 PM, NHN wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:55:22 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:53:34 PM, NHN wrote:
As such, he is a manifestation of Caesarism
What evidence do you have that he will become a dictator?
If you had followed the link (http://www.debate.org...), you would have seen that Caesarism is an alternative to both democracy and tyranny. It regards a short-lived strongman era followed by a longer period of restoration. In the interim, Caesarism denotes post-constitutional rule under a charismatic strongman (re: Pinochet, Franco, etc.).

If you ever get a chance, go to Cebu. We hired dentists to work in our call center! We paid more. Highly educated populace and great city
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 5:01:40 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/25/2016 2:12:22 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
If you ever get a chance, go to Cebu. We hired dentists to work in our call center! We paid more. Highly educated populace and great city
Will do. Thank you for the recommendation.
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 12:43:56 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

Do not expect him to remain in power much longer.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 12:45:49 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

On a scale from 1-10, where 10 is perfect and 1 is terrible, Duterte is a 1.75...at least IMO.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 1:01:10 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Whenever I wonder what dumb people think about political issues, I just look to read up on NHN's latest activities in the forums and I immediately learn.
Tsar of DDO
XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 6:37:49 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 12:43:56 AM, YYW wrote:

Do not expect him to remain in power much longer.

What do you think will remove him from his position?
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 7:06:03 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

He's the Filipino Donald Trump.
YYW
Posts: 36,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 12:32:22 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 6:37:49 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/28/2016 12:43:56 AM, YYW wrote:

Do not expect him to remain in power much longer.

What do you think will remove him from his position?

I don't know, but if I had to guess... domestic influences backed by the United States.
Tsar of DDO
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 1:07:10 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 12:32:22 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/28/2016 6:37:49 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/28/2016 12:43:56 AM, YYW wrote:

Do not expect him to remain in power much longer.

What do you think will remove him from his position?

I don't know, but if I had to guess... domestic influences backed by the United States.

Inference to CIA shenanigans?
slo1
Posts: 4,353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 1:41:52 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 7:06:03 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

He's the Filipino Donald Trump.

Lol, he just stated that God told him to stop swearing or God would crash the plane was on going home from his Japan visit.

I honestly think he is bi-polar.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 3:38:21 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 1:41:52 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 10/28/2016 7:06:03 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 5:28:42 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my country's president.

He's the Filipino Donald Trump.

Lol, he just stated that God told him to stop swearing or God would crash the plane was on going home from his Japan visit.

I honestly think he is bi-polar.

God hates swearing, but killing drug users in their homes is a-ok thats theology 101 my friend lol. Bi polarism would explain why he was talking about breaking up with the US then saying we're still close.
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2016 11:02:08 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 1:01:10 AM, YYW wrote:
Whenever I wonder what dumb people think about political issues, I just look to read up on NHN's latest activities in the forums and I immediately learn.
Lol. So butt hurt.

You'd better tell your guy to go easy on the poppers. Perhaps down a 'lude while he's at it.