Jump to topic:

Icelandic Parliamentary Electon

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 7:05:12 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
In the wake of the US Presidential election, another country is also having a historic election. On October 29, Iceland will be holding an election, called following the resignation of Prime Minister Sigmundur Davio Gunnlaugsson in the wake of the Panama Papers revelations. This election is historic because polling suggests that the Pirate Party could become the main ruling party following the elections. Previously a fringe party associated with copyright reform and internet freedom may now become the main ruling party in Iceland.
What are your thoughts? Will the Pirate Party be able to win? Who would you vote for?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 7:08:09 PM
At 10/25/2016 7:05:12 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
In the wake of the US Presidential election, another country is also having a historic election. On October 29, Iceland will be holding an election, called following the resignation of Prime Minister Sigmundur Davio Gunnlaugsson in the wake of the Panama Papers revelations. This election is historic because polling suggests that the Pirate Party could become the main ruling party following the elections. Previously a fringe party associated with copyright reform and internet freedom may now become the main ruling party in Iceland.
What are your thoughts? Will the Pirate Party be able to win? Who would you vote for?

argh! it's hard to say matey! but I'll be keepin my one good eye out, no tellin with this lad lubbers...... So is the Pirate party linked to Piratebay? because that could be huge, they were talking about putting their servers on drones to avoid the anti-piracy laws etc.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 7:28:43 PM
At 10/25/2016 7:08:09 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

argh! it's hard to say matey! but I'll be keepin my one good eye out, no tellin with this lad lubbers...... So is the Pirate party linked to Piratebay? because that could be huge, they were talking about putting their servers on drones to avoid the anti-piracy laws etc.

There are some links. I know the pirate bay founder ran with the Finnish Pirate Party in the European Parliament elections in 2014.
Copyright reform is a big issue for the Icelandic Pirate Party, and with all Pirate Parties. They are big on civil rights, direct democracy and participation in government, reform of copyright and patent law, free sharing of knowledge (open content), information privacy, transparency, freedom of information, anti-corruption and network neutrality.
I stole that from wikipedia.
The Icelandic party also wants to Give Edward Snowden Icelandic Citizenship, and has ties to Wikileaks.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 8:32:42 PM
At 10/25/2016 7:28:43 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

There are some links. I know the pirate bay founder ran with the Finnish Pirate Party in the European Parliament elections in 2014.
Copyright reform is a big issue for the Icelandic Pirate Party, and with all Pirate Parties. They are big on civil rights, direct democracy and participation in government, reform of copyright and patent law, free sharing of knowledge (open content), information privacy, transparency, freedom of information, anti-corruption and network neutrality.
The Icelandic party also wants to Give Edward Snowden Icelandic Citizenship, and has ties to Wikileaks.

Don't know enough about the pirate party and not going to google to seem knowledgeable BUT...

If they have ties to the ladies from Black Sails on Starz I'm all for them.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 9:15:38 PM
At 10/25/2016 8:32:42 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Don't know enough about the pirate party and not going to google to seem knowledgeable BUT...

Think of the Pirates as being libertarians, except they want to loosen "intellectual property" laws so that information is much more open (which is actually the opposite of what many libertarians would support). As the name would suggest, they support the rights of people to watch TV and movies on random websites without having to pay for the content provided.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 10:05:37 PM
At 10/25/2016 9:15:38 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/25/2016 8:32:42 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Think of the Pirates as being libertarians, except they want to loosen "intellectual property" laws so that information is much more open (which is actually the opposite of what many libertarians would support). As the name would suggest, they support the rights of people to watch TV and movies on random websites without having to pay for the content provided.

I've heard of them just never paid much attention.

The info part is tricky: gov and corp finance should be open. Individual is a big newt in my op