Jump to topic:

Who is our Nixon?

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 5:42:21 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
In 1964, Barry Goldwater won the Republican nomination despite strong opposition from party leaders, winning by riding a wave of popular support from the voter base. Many party leaders and competitors in the primary, such as Nelson Rockefeller, refused to support Goldwater. The only Republican of any note to campaign with Goldwater was Nixon, a disgraced loser who couldn't even win the governorship of California. Goldwater lost in a landslide.

In 1968 Tricky Dick became President of the United States. In 1972 he won 49 states, and he would've unquestionably gone down as one of the greatest presidents in history if his paranoia didn't get the better of him (Watergate).

Although he lost badly, Goldwater marked the beginning of a new Republican party and a political realignment.

It looks like Trump is not going to win the election. It's an incredibly volatile election but at this stage in the game, he is probably finished. But it's worth noting who Donald Trump is. Take a look at his party identification. The Republicans nominated a man who was a Democrat a mere 7 years ago (AFTER Obama was elected!). Like Goldwater, he rode to victory while facing stiff resistance from party leadership because he captured the political spirit of the base. Like Goldwater, he's doing worse in some traditional red states and better in some traditional blue states (though partisanship mitigates this a lot). This is the beginning of a massive change in the Republican Party.

No matter what happens, Donald Fvcking Trump is one of the most important political figures in the past 50 years. But who, if anyone, will follow? I'm having trouble thinking of who it will be, but I don't think anyone in 1964 would've predicted that Tricky Dick, a two time loser, would be president a mere 4 years later. Or for that matter, NOBODY in 2012 predicted that Donald Trump would be the Republican nominee. What do y'all think?

Also he's very important. Tremendously important, bigly. Believe me. BELIEVE me.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 6:07:22 AM
At 10/28/2016 5:42:21 AM, thett3 wrote:

No matter what happens, Donald Fvcking Trump is one of the most important political figures in the past 50 years.

I guarantee in terms of political legacy Bernie Sanders' revolution will outlast Trumps. After Trump looses he'll put on some bluster and show then retreat to lick his wounds and look towards recovering from the damage his campaign has done to his businesses. I've heard he plans to start is own TV network to continue to pander and pull money from the tea party. Sanders will still be in the game as a senator effecting policy. Unlike Trump during the Primary Sanders was an unknown then became a household name - in polls he beat both Hillary and Trump.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 1:53:24 PM
At 10/28/2016 6:07:22 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

No matter what happens, Donald Fvcking Trump is one of the most important political figures in the past 50 years.

I guarantee in terms of political legacy Bernie Sanders' revolution will outlast Trumps. After Trump looses he'll put on some bluster and show then retreat to lick his wounds and look towards recovering from the damage his campaign has done to his businesses. I've heard he plans to start is own TV network to continue to pander and pull money from the tea party. Sanders will still be in the game as a senator effecting policy. Unlike Trump during the Primary Sanders was an unknown then became a household name - in polls he beat both Hillary and Trump.

Perhaps it will. Bernie too captured the spirit of a large chunk of the democratic voting base, but not enough to win obviously.

Do you predict a Bernie like candidate in the future? If so, who do you think it might be and how might they change the country? Would it be possible for a president Clinton to face a primary challenge from the left in 2020?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 4:01:29 PM
At 10/28/2016 1:53:24 PM, thett3 wrote:

Perhaps it will. Bernie too captured the spirit of a large chunk of the democratic voting base, but not enough to win obviously.

Yes, well that's a different story involving the south, superdelegates and many 'voting irregularities' ..
Damn you to hell Hillary ... Damn you ... But anyways ..

Do you predict a Bernie like candidate in the future? If so, who do you think it might be and how might they change the country? Would it be possible for a president Clinton to face a primary challenge from the left in 2020?

2020 depends on how well she does as prez. It's rare for a party to challenge their own president so I doubt she'll have a challenge. But future candidates could be folks like Elizabeth Warren, I've even heard Tulsi Gabbard's name tossed around as a hopeful candidate by Bernie supporters. They'd change the country probably the same way Bernie intended, they'll regulate banks and wall Street speculation to avoid future crashes, they'll fight for better wages for poor workers, maybe advocate for union jobs, probably work towards a single payer health care system or a system that puts pharma corporations on notice to stop jacking up their prices to maximize profits. That kind of stuff would improve the lives and opportunities of untold millions.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 4:11:54 PM

I sure hope so.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 4:55:30 PM
The Clinton's will be retiring on inaugaration day of 2021. If you win an election in a year ending in zero you can expect to die in office.
Taking that into consideration along with what happened to the nominees in this years election, we can't expect that anybody will run for president in 2020.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 6:24:20 PM

I really dont think so. The last times presidents from both parties faced a primary challenger in their own re-election year was George HW Bush in 1992 and Carter in 1980, both of whom had in common the fact that the economy slid into a recession and had some kind of embarrassment on their record. Carter had the Iran crisis, George HW raised taxes after his whole campaign was themed around not doing so.

Carter and Bush werent 'big names' in the political world when they first became president, but Clinton HAS become a big name. For someone to have the stones to challenge her in a primary, it would have to be someone famous politically, and I dont think that Bernie or Warren have a big enough clout behind them to match up against Clinton, and they are the only ones who would have any chance to begin with

I can see how she might be a one term president due to history and unfavorability, but I think its a stretch she'll face a primary challenger
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015