Jump to topic:

Creating a Federal Surplus

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 2:13:21 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
In a freak chain of events, Trump Mysteriously disappears and Hillary Clinton is struck down by God. Turns out the public had largely given up on third party, and your name was chosen randomly through write in votes. Congrats Mr(s) President.

What would you do to balance the federal budget?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 3:00:08 PM
At 10/30/2016 2:13:21 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
In a freak chain of events, Trump Mysteriously disappears and Hillary Clinton is struck down by God. Turns out the public had largely given up on third party, and your name was chosen randomly through write in votes. Congrats Mr(s) President.

1) Increase taxes on the wealthy, especially money earned through capital gains and dividends.

2) Consider another stimulus package, to restore the economy to full employment, and so the economy is not damaged by the long term affects of unemployment. Many experts agree that the stimulus package was too small.

3) Invest in education,technology, ect, so the USA will be a place for emerging industries.

4) Inflate a small amount of the debt away.

5) Reduce military expenditure.

6) I'm not sure what to do about social security yet.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 4:10:27 PM

1) Cut budgets for all nonessential federal agencies and tax payer funded independent groups in half. The exception would be labor budgets which would only decrease 10% with option for annual review; this to offset the overtime payment abuses.

2) Start eliminating excessive and unnecessary entitlements as well as putting time caps on a person's ability to collect in order to encourage everyone to look for jobs and vastly decrease lifetime payouts per person.

This is a VERY solid start.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 5:19:23 PM
Kill social security, and nothing else would have to be done.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 7:28:30 PM

Print more money. Worked great for the Weimar Republic.
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 11:39:12 PM
At 10/30/2016 5:19:23 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Kill social security, and nothing else would have to be done.

You do realize that Social Security is a trust fund which is run on a COMPLETELY different budgeting report which denies use of funds for ANY reason other than the intended...right?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 12:29:55 AM
At 10/30/2016 3:00:08 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

1) Increase taxes on the wealthy, especially money earned through capital gains and dividends.

2) Consider another stimulus package, to restore the economy to full employment, and so the economy is not damaged by the long term affects of unemployment. Many experts agree that the stimulus package was too small.

3) Invest in education,technology, ect, so the USA will be a place for emerging industries.

Nice list.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 12:37:57 AM

Cut or downright abolish whole bunch of useless government programs.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 12:44:24 AM
At 10/31/2016 12:37:57 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Could you name a couple? How much do you think you will "save"?
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 12:50:34 AM
At 10/31/2016 12:44:24 AM, TBR wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the Department of Education
Shrink the NSA
Cut Supplemental Security Income
Descend all useless healthcare spending into the free market
Additional Child Tax Credit
Indian Housing Block Grants
Office of Refugee Resettlement

may I name more?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 12:57:41 AM
At 10/31/2016 12:50:34 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

How would you wipe out social security without going back on the governments commitment to those in older generations that are planning around it?
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 1:12:27 AM
At 10/31/2016 12:57:41 AM, Quadrunner wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

How would you wipe out social security without going back on the governments commitment to those in older generations that are planning around it?

Those generations can have it lowered, while the youth should plan to save up theirselves.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 1:13:04 AM

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

If you please. I sure like your choice of "Indian Housing Block Grants". That one costs about 1/2 a billion a year, and the refugee program accounts for less that 1% of the entire HHS budget, but whatever. Keep cutting around the edges and you may make it to 10 billion with some real work.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 1:21:26 AM

This idea is utterly stupid, as it will only only limit and discourage investment, thus stagnating economic growth. Remember the rich aren't theives, and they play a huge role in the economy, so putting burdensome taxes on them is an utterly stupid idea.

>assuming stimulus spending works

Also, remind me how stimulus spending will do anything to create a federal surplus? I thought this thread was about balancing the budget, not making it worse?

What investments? Is technology not flourishing in the private sector? Why should the government interfere in the tech industry?

Do also take note that investments in education aren't going to solve the problem of the poor secondary education system, as education reform is a much better long term solution.

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 1:23:21 AM
At 10/31/2016 1:13:04 AM, TBR wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

If you please. I sure like your choice of "Indian Housing Block Grants". That one costs about 1/2 a billion a year, and the refugee program accounts for less that 1% of the entire HHS budget, but whatever. Keep cutting around the edges and you may make it to 10 billion with some real work.

I only listed a sample size; did you really expect me to lay out a formal detailed plan to introduce a bill through congress?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 1:31:30 AM

Getting rid of tax exemptions with the existing tax levels would be more profitable for the government coffers, and also will reduce corruption.
2) Consider another stimulus package, to restore the economy to full employment, and so the economy is not damaged by the long term effects of unemployment. Many experts agree that the stimulus package was too small.

Absolutely not, unless it's direct expenditures in infrastructure public works projects like roads, power grids, new pipes, bridges, and new school construction, especially in the poor urban areas.
Porkulous in the private sector is just money down the drain again. You can't expect trickle down to work.
We currently have a surplus of unemployed/underemployed college grads. This is definitely low on the priority scale.

That's fine, inflation is an indirect tax on the poor, which I will never argue with.

Absolutely, but withdraw from the Middle East while you are at it.

There's a bunch of things that can be done, I am not too worried.

Also, repeal minimum wage, impose stiff fines for under-the-table undocumented, untaxed employment, and start collecting from the employers of the poor, while at the same time eliminating the incentive for illegal slave labor and opening up more jobs for the poor. Employers of the poor have been riding that Crony donkey for too long now.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 2:38:25 AM
At 10/31/2016 1:23:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

I only listed a sample size; did you really expect me to lay out a formal detailed plan to introduce a bill through congress?

No. Not really. I just wanted to see yet another pathetic "cut spending" only plan. Know what is on the other side of cuts? Taxes.

Conservatives have talked about cuts for 50 years, never once offering to raise taxes. Its a pathetic failed notion that we can cut our way to a balance.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 3:26:15 AM
At 10/31/2016 2:38:25 AM, TBR wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

No. Not really. I just wanted to see yet another pathetic "cut spending" only plan. Know what is on the other side of cuts? Taxes.

Conservatives have talked about cuts for 50 years, never once offering to raise taxes. Its a pathetic failed notion that we can cut our way to a balance.

H Bush raised taxes ...just don't read the lips man.

I don't mind people that oppose tax cuts as a general rule, but it is insane for the same people to support economic stimuluses as long as a charismatic person is doing it...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 2:00:24 PM
At 10/31/2016 3:26:15 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

I don't mind people that oppose tax cuts as a general rule, but it is insane for the same people to support economic stimuluses as long as a charismatic person is doing it...

What is wrong with "economic stimulus"? Not all economic stimulus is tax cutting, right?
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 2:31:07 PM

Why do you need to? I mean sure, you need to cut massive federal budget deficits that are not sustainable, but I don't see a big deal with smaller manageble deficits smaller as a percentage than receipt growth.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 4:50:05 PM
At 10/31/2016 2:00:24 PM, TBR wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

What is wrong with "economic stimulus"? Not all economic stimulus is tax cutting, right?

Because both of them add to the debt, and both assume trickle down theory.

Preferring one over the other because of a charismatic face is the height of idiocy. Economics should not be a beauty pageant.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 4:51:20 PM
At 10/31/2016 2:31:07 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Why do you need to? I mean sure, you need to cut massive federal budget deficits that are not sustainable, but I don't see a big deal with smaller manageble deficits smaller as a percentage than receipt growth.

Do you have a specific definition for an unmanageable debt?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 4:52:12 PM

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

It would be helpful to be as descriptive as your time allows.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 5:06:17 PM
At 10/31/2016 2:00:24 PM, TBR wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

Nothing is inherently wrong with economic stimulus. In the context we are speaking, which is the Obama administrations massive stimulus packages, many of the choices, by nature of those involved in the decision were not carried out in efficient, productive additions to our economy. The key word is efficiency, which in my opinion is the main argument for tax breaks whenever possible.

I will say, while the Obamanations could have done better from my arm chair analysis, like any politician, I do see the merit of a stimulus program in the event of a crashing economy. It seems strange that taking less money from a broken system on the brink of collapse will provide some sort of magical fix, and more logical to invest in something you know will bring improvement, or is at least knowledgeably worthwhile, hopefully to sufficient degree.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 5:18:45 PM

While almost no one would disagree education is one of the best investments we can make in America, I like to question people who advocate for it on the federal level, not that I think its a bad thing, but I can't help but wonder at the reasoning behind investing at state vs federal. Would you care to elaborate?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 5:35:50 PM

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

I apologize for my bluntness, but overlooking problems because of their present scale helps no one. If you are going to advocate for keeping or cutting a program, the argument should be based on cost/benefit analysis in comparison with alternative options, and minding any due obligations that need to be carried out before cutting.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 5:42:41 PM
At 10/31/2016 5:35:50 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

I apologize for my bluntness, but overlooking problems because of their present scale helps no one. If you are going to advocate for keeping or cutting a program, the argument should be based on cost/benefit analysis in comparison with alternative options, and minding any due obligations that need to be carried out before cutting.

And that discussion happens. It is however the favorite sport of "financial conservatives" to pick out spending they dislike as some sort of example of their "sane" approach without ever admiting that TAX is on the other side, and not some taboo.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 5:59:17 PM
At 10/31/2016 5:42:41 PM, TBR wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

And that discussion happens. It is however the favorite sport of "financial conservatives" to pick out spending they dislike as some sort of example of their "sane" approach without ever admiting that TAX is on the other side, and not some taboo.

Such generalizations are typically not conducive to rational discussion. If there is valid reasoning behind "disliking" said imaginary programs, then it would be a sane approach, and arguably superior to raising taxes...In this case why would raising taxes be considered an option?

However, the logic behind your projection, assuming the imaginary conservative is purely cutting something because they don't like it is possibly sound in certain situations assuming their reasoning is not thought out...We haven't been provided with evidence for that in this thread yet, so if you perceive otherwise realize its your own projection. They may have good reason for believing there is little benefit if allowed explanation.

The point is, question his reasoning before assuming his motive. I see the point your making though. The Taboo effect is a dirty move, not unlike some of the topics I'm hoping to be covered in my racism thread.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 6:07:38 PM
At 10/31/2016 5:59:17 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

Such generalizations are typically not conducive to rational discussion. If there is valid reasoning behind "disliking" said imaginary programs, then it would be a sane approach, and arguably superior to raising taxes...In this case why would raising taxes be considered an option?

However, the logic behind your projection, assuming the imaginary conservative is purely cutting something because they don't like it is possibly sound in certain situations assuming their reasoning is not thought out...We haven't been provided with evidence for that in this thread yet, so if you perceive otherwise realize its your own projection. They may have good reason for believing there is little benefit if allowed explanation.

The point is, question his reasoning before assuming his motive. I see the point your making though. The Taboo effect is a dirty move, not unlike some of the topics I'm hoping to be covered in my racism thread.

The assumption is that no thought was given to the spending in the first damn place.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 6:10:04 PM
At 10/31/2016 6:07:38 PM, TBR wrote:
At 10/31/2016 5:59:17 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Social Security
Shrink the NSA

may I name more?

The assumption is that no thought was given to the spending in the first damn place.

This now brings us full circle, overlooking problems because of their present scale helps no one. If you are going to advocate for keeping or cutting a program, the argument should be based on cost/benefit analysis in comparison with alternative options, and minding any due obligations that need to be carried out before cutting.