Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Best Country?

comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 2:25:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Politically, what is the best country and why?

Lets say...

If you were told that in 6 months you had to move permanently to another country, where would you go and why?
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 2:48:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hmm... NZ is a good choice. I vote Iceland though.

Mexico is also a good choice depending on how you look at it. If you took an average of the people, then no. But poor people would be poor even if they lived in Norway. Mexico has a lot of advantages in terms of their black markets for medicine and drugs. Overall lower prices too...

It just depends what you're into.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 3:10:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Best" country, politically speaking, is tied to what your political goals are. What I see as "best" is probably different than what Mirza sees as "best", or what Sieben sees as "best".

Additionally, belief about a country's political structure isn't always indicative of where you would choose to move. Much like a market, actually--agents don't always make the most rational choices in terms of purchasing.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 3:44:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
None that we know of . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:15:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
All countries are great in their own ways. But doesn't Norway have the highest standard of living? I guess I'd wanna go there.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:49:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 3:10:42 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
"Best" country, politically speaking, is tied to what your political goals are. What I see as "best" is probably different than what Mirza sees as "best", or what Sieben sees as "best".

Additionally, belief about a country's political structure isn't always indicative of where you would choose to move. Much like a market, actually--agents don't always make the most rational choices in terms of purchasing.
If money was not an object, and you'd never have to worry about it, where would you consider the best place to live based on your political/philosophical outlook?
I miss the old members.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:52:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
North Korea.

No, I'm joking. I'm actually not sure what the best would be. I don't really know enough about the actual politics of very many countries.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 5:01:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 4:49:31 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 1/19/2011 3:10:42 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
"Best" country, politically speaking, is tied to what your political goals are. What I see as "best" is probably different than what Mirza sees as "best", or what Sieben sees as "best".

Additionally, belief about a country's political structure isn't always indicative of where you would choose to move. Much like a market, actually--agents don't always make the most rational choices in terms of purchasing.
If money was not an object, and you'd never have to worry about it, where would you consider the best place to live based on your political/philosophical outlook?

Well, I'm a nihilist, which means I tend to look after my own satisfaction before anything else. I might go to Brazil as a result. Think of all the beautiful women... :)
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 5:23:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 4:15:41 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
All countries are great in their own ways. But doesn't Norway have the highest standard of living? I guess I'd wanna go there.
The Scandinavian countries are all ranked high, but it depends on how you define standards of living. The thing is that in all these countries, you have a lot of opportunities. In Denmark, there's free education (including college, and they are ranked top #100 in the world), there's effective health care, the education standards are high, there are a variety of jobs, and so forth.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 5:31:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ireland has the highest happiness rating.

I don't understand how the health care in first world nations is so good. The life expectancy in china is only slightly below ours and they spend less than $100/yr on health care.

As someone who has dealt with a lot of doctors, ONLY elite doctors will cut it. Everyone else is just going through the motions and/or treating symptoms.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 5:32:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 5:31:19 PM, Sieben wrote:
Ireland has the highest happiness rating.

I don't understand how the health care in first world nations is so good. The life expectancy in china is only slightly below ours and they spend less than $100/yr on health care.

As someone who has dealt with a lot of doctors, ONLY elite doctors will cut it. Everyone else is just going through the motions and/or treating symptoms.
Health care doesn't necessarily increase life expectancy, but it helps certain people getting "back on track," i.e., to work again, if they could not do so due to lack of treatment.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 5:35:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 5:32:46 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/19/2011 5:31:19 PM, Sieben wrote:
Ireland has the highest happiness rating.

I don't understand how the health care in first world nations is so good. The life expectancy in china is only slightly below ours and they spend less than $100/yr on health care.

As someone who has dealt with a lot of doctors, ONLY elite doctors will cut it. Everyone else is just going through the motions and/or treating symptoms.
Health care doesn't necessarily increase life expectancy, but it helps certain people getting "back on track," i.e., to work again, if they could not do so due to lack of treatment.
I don't think a significant percentage of people are unemployed due to medical problems. You hear about them, but they're rare.

Its all about quality of life. So how do you measure medicine's contribution to QOL?
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 5:37:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 5:35:47 PM, Sieben wrote:
I don't think a significant percentage of people are unemployed due to medical problems. You hear about them, but they're rare.

Its all about quality of life. So how do you measure medicine's contribution to QOL?
I don't disagree. My point is that health care can help improving certain things. Well, it would be better if it covered mental issues. I think more people long for that.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:15:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Democracy has been defined as the principle that 'one man is as good as another, if not a little better.' Anarchy may be defined as the principle that one government is as bad as another, if not a little worse." - Benjamin Tucker
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:18:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:15:58 PM, Reasoning wrote:
"Democracy has been defined as the principle that 'one man is as good as another, if not a little better.' Anarchy may be defined as the principle that one government is as bad as another, if not a little worse." - Benjamin Tucker

Depends what you mean by "good" and "bad".
BOBTHEBUILD
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 8:29:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/19/2011 9:30:42 PM, comoncents wrote:
I have chosen Liechtenstein!

I would go to one of the pacific islands. No one knows about them so their safe
YYW
Posts: 36,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 8:40:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/19/2011 2:25:41 PM, comoncents wrote:
Politically, what is the best country and why?

Lets say...

If you were told that in 6 months you had to move permanently to another country, where would you go and why?

1. Germany
2. France
3. UK
4. Austria
5. Switzerland
6. Monaco
7. Netherlands
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 8:46:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/3/2013 8:40:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/19/2011 2:25:41 PM, comoncents wrote:
Politically, what is the best country and why?

Lets say...

If you were told that in 6 months you had to move permanently to another country, where would you go and why?

1. Germany
2. France
3. UK
4. Austria
5. Switzerland
6. Monaco
7. Netherlands

I'd be interested in hearing your specific reasons for each of those countries.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 9:11:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/3/2013 8:46:00 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/3/2013 8:40:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/19/2011 2:25:41 PM, comoncents wrote:
Politically, what is the best country and why?

Lets say...

If you were told that in 6 months you had to move permanently to another country, where would you go and why?

1. Germany- I speak the language, love the culture, love the people. I have literally never been to a place in Germany that I couldn't imagine myself being able to happily life in.
2. France- See "Germany."
3. UK- Expensive but easy to live in. Great gay districts all over, as well.
4. Austria- Less desirable than Germany, but for the same reason, although I'd really be hard pressed to choose between a city and a more secluded town... like Salzburg. Austria is weirdly conservative though, so that's something I'd have to take into consideration.
5. Switzerland- See "Germany." I love Switzerland, for a series of reasons but the biggest reason it isn't higher on the list is that it's just too expensive. FAR too expensive.
6. Monaco- Really nice place in general. Never been there, but I think it'd be ok. I can't anticipate I'd ever have enough money to live there comfortably though...
7. Netherlands- Weed... jk. But it's a nice place. Most of the time I've spent in the Netherlands has been in the Schiphol airport, but still a very nice place.

I'd be interested in hearing your specific reasons for each of those countries.

I really could also probably be very comfortable in Canada, Finland or even parts of the Czech Republic. But I'd prefer Germany, and specifically Germany, or France over almost any other place.
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 9:19:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'd choose to either remain in Denmark or move to the UK or US. If things got better in Bosnia and Herzegovina I'd consider it - the people and culture are the best there.

For standards of living, my former list stands. Many more countries can be included nonetheless.
Quatermass
Posts: 166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 9:36:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/19/2011 2:25:41 PM, comoncents wrote:
Politically, what is the best country and why?

Lets say...

If you were told that in 6 months you had to move permanently to another country, where would you go and why?

Iceland, at the moment.
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 10:51:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/19/2011 2:25:41 PM, comoncents wrote:
Politically, what is the best country and why?

Lets say...

If you were told that in 6 months you had to move permanently to another country, where would you go and why?

I don't know, either Britain or Switzerland. I know Switzerland has a well armed civilian population, and nobody fvcks with them. Don't they also have a small government?
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"