Jump to topic:

Political Spectrums

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 2:48:53 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
What are the limitations of a one-dimensional liberal-conservative typology of political ideology? To add to that, how does the above compare to a two dimensional typology including libertarianism and communitarianism?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 4:27:35 AM
Traditional Spectrum does a terrible job at identifying non-western ideologies (the Sharia'h for example, though it'd be stretch to use the word "ideology" there)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 4:44:56 AM
At 11/2/2016 2:48:53 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
What are the limitations of a one-dimensional liberal-conservative typology of political ideology? To add to that, how does the above compare to a two dimensional typology including libertarianism and communitarianism?

The double axis is better for understanding ones position on the political spectrum. https://www.politicalcompass.org...
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 8:00:49 AM

For one thing, a one-dimensional spectrum only allows for one variable. Considering that there are several, independent, political variables (like economics, social issues, and foreign policy), it's pretty near impossible to accurately reflect the full spectrum of beliefs on all political issues in a one-dimensional spectrum. The more dimensions a spectrum has, the better able it is to reflect the different ways in which the different political variables mesh over the population.

But there's also the fact that the liberal-conservative spectrum only works for certain people. For others, particularly in non-Western cultures, the terms "liberal" and "conservative" have little meaning. To them, the political divide, if there even is one, is between two different ideologies. Plus, in non-Western countries, "liberal" and "conservative" mean different policy positions than they do here.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 1:43:01 PM
At 11/2/2016 4:27:35 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Traditional Spectrum does a terrible job at identifying non-western ideologies (the Sharia'h for example, though it'd be stretch to use the word "ideology" there)

Lol, I agree.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 1:43:55 PM
At 11/2/2016 4:44:56 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

The double axis is better for understanding ones position on the political spectrum. https://www.politicalcompass.org...

I've used that before. It's definitely better than a one-dimensional representation.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 1:45:01 PM
At 11/2/2016 8:00:49 AM, Subutai wrote:

For one thing, a one-dimensional spectrum only allows for one variable. Considering that there are several, independent, political variables (like economics, social issues, and foreign policy), it's pretty near impossible to accurately reflect the full spectrum of beliefs on all political issues in a one-dimensional spectrum. The more dimensions a spectrum has, the better able it is to reflect the different ways in which the different political variables mesh over the population.

That's a good point.

But there's also the fact that the liberal-conservative spectrum only works for certain people. For others, particularly in non-Western cultures, the terms "liberal" and "conservative" have little meaning. To them, the political divide, if there even is one, is between two different ideologies. Plus, in non-Western countries, "liberal" and "conservative" mean different policy positions than they do here.

Also true.