Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Would the Electoral College screw Trump?

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 8:19:20 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 11/2/2016 12:09:55 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
Many things are possible.
Few things are probable.

Could? Possible.
Would? Not probable.

Why not? It's happened four other times in presidential elections.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 8:25:00 PM
At 11/2/2016 8:19:20 PM, janesix wrote:
Few things are probable.

Could? Possible.
Would? Not probable.

No. This has never happened. There have been instances of NOT voting by a handful, a couple other oddity's, but not one instance where an election flipped results.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 9:13:44 PM
At 11/2/2016 8:25:00 PM, TBR wrote:
Few things are probable.

Could? Possible.
Would? Not probable.

No. This has never happened. There have been instances of NOT voting by a handful, a couple other oddity's, but not one instance where an election flipped results.

What's to stop the Republicans from electing one of their own instead of Trump?

More importantly, what effect would that bait-and-switch have on American politics in the future? I reckon the alt-right would splinter off, for a start.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 9:25:39 PM
At 11/2/2016 9:13:44 PM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
At 11/2/2016 8:25:00 PM, TBR wrote:
Few things are probable.

Could? Possible.
Would? Not probable.

What's to stop the Republicans from electing one of their own instead of Trump?

More importantly, what effect would that bait-and-switch have on American politics in the future? I reckon the alt-right would splinter off, for a start.

My points are

1) its never happened before
2) its not going to happen, Trump iss not going to win
3) still wouldnt happen even if he did win
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 11:56:12 PM
At 11/2/2016 9:14:10 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
I just read an article outlining how that could happen:

http://www.politico.com...

If it ever was going to happen, doing it to prevent Trump would be the time.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 12:03:27 AM
At 11/2/2016 11:56:12 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I think this kind of thing is exactly why they made those rules
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 12:06:56 AM
At 11/3/2016 12:03:27 AM, mc9 wrote:
At 11/2/2016 11:56:12 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I think this kind of thing is exactly why they made those rules

Those founding fathers were some smart cookies. They pretty much predicted Trump haha.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 1:04:37 AM
If it's a close race the electoral college will put Hillary in. Even the Republicans can't stand Trump. I think the Reps. would rather hold the senate and house as a majority with Clinton than with The Donald. If this comes to pass, we'll see endless investigations to impeach her and 4 years of nothing getting accomplished. It will buy time for the Reps. to get their sh#t together, maybe, to come out in the end as a cohesive party. I see Warren coming out of the shoot as a candidate from the Dems next time out and a somewhat moderate ?? Rep. candidate in opposition. For the most part this election cycle is a lost cause, and so are the next 4 years.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 1:58:56 AM
Few things are probable.

Could? Possible.
Would? Not probable.

Enlighten me.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 2:05:05 AM
At 11/3/2016 1:04:37 AM, Peepette wrote:
If it's a close race the electoral college will put Hillary in. Even the Republicans can't stand Trump. I think the Reps. would rather hold the senate and house as a majority with Clinton than with The Donald. If this comes to pass, we'll see endless investigations to impeach her and 4 years of nothing getting accomplished. It will buy time for the Reps. to get their sh#t together, maybe, to come out in the end as a cohesive party. I see Warren coming out of the shoot as a candidate from the Dems next time out and a somewhat moderate ?? Rep. candidate in opposition. For the most part this election cycle is a lost cause, and so are the next 4 years.

You have been talking to, or listening to, the wrong people.
I know people who are not even Republican who are voting for Trump.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 4:13:49 AM
At 11/3/2016 2:05:05 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

You have been talking to, or listening to, the wrong people.
I know people who are not even Republican who are voting for Trump.

Yes, there are some who are not Republicans for Trump, but he still has no chance in hell of winning. In a close race the electoral college will not allow it.
Kynikos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 4:14:33 AM
At 11/3/2016 4:13:49 AM, Peepette wrote:
Yes, there are some who are not Republicans for Trump, but he still has no chance in hell of winning.
Is that why he's ahead in D+10 polls
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 4:27:18 AM
At 11/3/2016 4:14:33 AM, Kynikos wrote:
At 11/3/2016 4:13:49 AM, Peepette wrote:
Yes, there are some who are not Republicans for Trump, but he still has no chance in hell of winning.
Is that why he's ahead in D+10 polls

Polls are dependent on who takes them, see list. It will be close, but Hillary will take the win and the electoral collage will seal the deal. http://www.realclearpolitics.com...
http://www.realclearpolitics.com...
http://www.nytimes.com...
http://www.investors.com...
http://electiongraphs.com...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 1:09:02 PM
At 11/3/2016 12:08:20 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
The electoral college is screwing us all but it's not their fault... it is our own.

Naw, the electoral college gives power to the minority. The brilliance of our system is exactly that. WY gets just as much clout as CA in the Senate. The President can veto legislation. Somethings require a super majority in Congress. An amendment to the Constitution requires unanimous vote by each state, etc.

We are not a majority or mob ruled nation and that is how we need to keep it.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 1:23:21 PM
At 11/3/2016 1:09:02 PM, slo1 wrote:
The electoral college is screwing us all but it's not their fault... it is our own.

Naw, the electoral college gives power to the minority. The brilliance of our system is exactly that. WY gets just as much clout as CA in the Senate. The President can veto legislation. Somethings require a super majority in Congress. An amendment to the Constitution requires unanimous vote by each state, etc.

Don't sound patronizing as you clearly misunderstood. By 'we' I meant the nominee process. The electoral college can only decide on the ballot.

Geesh
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 4:36:20 PM

51% of the people suppress the other 49%.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 4:38:07 PM

I really hope they do so that a 3rd "anti-rigged" party can emerge.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 7:32:17 PM
At 11/3/2016 4:38:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I really hope they do so that a 3rd "anti-rigged" party can emerge.

We can only hope.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 8:26:25 PM
At 11/3/2016 1:23:21 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Don't sound patronizing as you clearly misunderstood. By 'we' I meant the nominee process. The electoral college can only decide on the ballot.

Geesh

I'm not certain why you feel I was patronizing. I was simply explaining why I felt the electoral college is important to your response that it was "screwing us".

It is not screwing us. It gives voice to low population states so their vote matters.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 1:29:19 AM
If it is almost a tie someone will give Hillary an extra vote or take an electoral vote away from Trump. These 2 have both proved they are not qualified to be president, so they will make Bill Clinton the virtual president by making Mrs. Clinton. the office.
The reason will be he served 2 terms as president and did a satisfactory job and this is a rare case where the electoral college has to use their veto power. The news people are on the Clinton's side so we will only hear about why it is OK to do this.