Jump to topic:

Well Played, Trump Folks

Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 6:27:02 AM
Posted: 4 weeks ago
There's no denying it at this point. Trump tapped into a wide swath of people who are dissatisfied with how the last 8 years have gone, and dissatisfied with the establishment. They came out in force for him. I'm impressed. Congratulations.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 7:14:56 AM
At 11/9/2016 6:27:02 AM, Burzmali wrote:
There's no denying it at this point. Trump tapped into a wide swath of people who are dissatisfied with how the last 8 years have gone, and dissatisfied with the establishment. They came out in force for him. I'm impressed. Congratulations.

I'm more impressed that the DNC effed this up by not running Sanders....
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Kynikos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 7:22:21 AM
At 11/9/2016 7:14:56 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

DWS and Brazile will be effectively blacklisted.

On the plus side, next Dem nominee/victor will be a Sandersite.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 7:22:22 AM

Amen.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 7:46:49 AM
Against all odds, Donald Trump -- despite having no political experience whatsoever -- has managed to win the US presidency. With little more than his own skill as a showman, he defeated one of the world's most skilled & well-funded career politicians. The liberal media and the Clinton campaign put everything they had into wrongly portraying Trump as a scary bigoted fascist. But Trump totally outmaneuvered them, and was ultimately still able to persuade the American people that he was worthy of being elected.

This win is merely the latest in Trump's long line of incredible successes, and making America great again will be the crowning achievement of it all. He'll be an excellent president -- he has a tireless work ethic, his negotiating skills are strong, he can make effective use of the bully pulpit, and above all, he has the right attitude (non-partisan, anti-corporatist, victory-oriented pragmatism).

The next four years are going to be fun. To those of you who remain skeptical of Trump's potential, just wait and watch.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 8:12:16 AM

Running Sanders wouldn't ensure victory either, lol. Trump would have taken a radically different approach to his campaign if he were up against Bernie. The people who claim that any other Democratic candidate would've demolished Trump clearly haven't learned anything from this experience -- the fact is that Trump is a very competent & adaptable self-promoter.

Similarly, people who sat any other Republican candidate would have easily landslided Clinton are misguided as well. McCain and Romney's losses proved that the traditional GOP voter base is no longer large enough to get Republicans elected to the Oval Office. Trump recognized this fact and instead focused on appealing to working class Americans -- his uniquely-crafted charisma was essential to making that appeal work as well as it did (while still attracting a sufficient portion of the traditional GOP base).

tl;dr -- Trump is good at this. Get over yourselves.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 8:26:00 AM

Response: I don't think it had anything to do with the last 8 years since Obama won twice and was very popular. It had much to do with the politicians involved. Hilary was deemed crooked and a corrupt politician. Trump was just rude and insensitive in the way he talks, but not classified as crooked. So when it was time to elect, more people chose rudeness over crookedness.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 8:26:01 AM
At 11/9/2016 8:12:16 AM, Romanii wrote:

Running Sanders wouldn't ensure victory either, lol. Trump would have taken a radically different approach to his campaign if he were up against Bernie. The people who claim that any other Democratic candidate would've demolished Trump clearly haven't learned anything from this experience -- the fact is that Trump is a very competent & adaptable self-promoter.

Trump won because he promised change while Hillary promised stagnation. Bernie was also about change. This alone would have negated a key component of Trump's platform, so it's not impossible that he could have beaten Trump. Bernie is also a likable person while Hillary is not, which would have given him a further advantage over Trump.

Would Bernie have defeated Trump? We'll never know.
Would he have had a better chance? Most probably.

There's no profound lesson in Trump's victory. Trump merely exploited the broken system better than Hillary did.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 8:57:37 AM
At 11/9/2016 8:26:01 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Trump won because he promised change while Hillary promised stagnation. Bernie was also about change. This alone would have negated a key component of Trump's platform, so it's not impossible that he could have beaten Trump. Bernie is also a likable person while Hillary is not, which would have given him a further advantage over Trump.

I know. That's why I said Trump would have taken a radically different approach if he were up against Bernie.

Would Bernie have defeated Trump? We'll never know.
Would he have had a better chance? Most probably.

Agreed.

There's no profound lesson in Trump's victory. Trump merely exploited the broken system better than Hillary did.

The lesson is that everybody vastly under-estimated Trump, so perhaps it would be wise to *not* do that when considering hypothetical match-ups against alternative Democratic candidates.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 11:22:17 AM
At 11/9/2016 8:26:00 AM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: I don't think it had anything to do with the last 8 years since Obama won twice and was very popular. It had much to do with the politicians involved. Hilary was deemed crooked and a corrupt politician. Trump was just rude and insensitive in the way he talks, but not classified as crooked. So when it was time to elect, more people chose rudeness over crookedness.

Sort of off topic, but given his attitude to Muslims, do you feel concerned that he has a position of this much power?
Meh!
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 12:39:20 PM
At 11/9/2016 11:22:17 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 11/9/2016 8:26:00 AM, Fatihah wrote:

Sort of off topic, but given his attitude to Muslims, do you feel concerned that he has a position of this much power?

Exit polls indicated most important issue was Candidate for Change. That would mean things are not ideal as they are.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 2:35:39 PM
At 11/9/2016 11:22:17 AM, Axonly wrote:

Response: As a Muslim. I'm never worried about who is in power since no matter who is elected, no one has more power than Allah. I do believe things will not be the same for everyone who is a minority or non-white, regardless of religion. I hope I am wrong.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:12:26 PM

Running Sanders wouldn't ensure victory either, lol.

I never said anything about "ensuring victory", but he had a far better chance at beating him. That's pretty indisputable.

Trump would have taken a radically different approach to his campaign if he were up against Bernie. The people who claim that any other Democratic candidate would've demolished Trump clearly haven't learned anything from this experience -- the fact is that Trump is a very competent & adaptable self-promoter.
Similarly, people who sat any other Republican candidate would have easily landslided Clinton are misguided as well. McCain and Romney's losses proved that the traditional GOP voter base is no longer large enough to get Republicans elected to the Oval Office. Trump recognized this fact and instead focused on appealing to working class Americans -- his uniquely-crafted charisma was essential to making that appeal work as well as it did (while still attracting a sufficient portion of the traditional GOP base).

tl;dr -- Trump is good at this. Get over yourselves.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 8:14:17 PM
At 11/9/2016 3:12:26 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Running Sanders wouldn't ensure victory either, lol.
I never said anything about "ensuring victory", but he had a far better chance at beating him. That's pretty indisputable.

That's not necessarily true. Bernie Sanders doesn't have control over the same sort of political machinery that Hillary Clinton does. And he's also less willing to play dirty politics. I'm not sure that he could have effectively branded Trump as a scary bigoted fascist, like Clinton did. Those scare tactics were the most crucial component in the effort to stifle Trump's support.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 10:16:29 PM

Hindsight's 20/20