Jump to topic:

Now What?

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:27:02 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Last night, the entire world was shocked as all predictions on the 2016 U.S. Election, generally showing Hillary to win by a large margin, proved bogus.
Trump is not competent on foreign policy by any means, and if WW3 breaks out during his term we have much worse chances of emerging on top. That being said, if this election proved anything it's that Trump cannot be predicted. It's possible, though not probable, that he will respond to our foreign affairs by listening to the advice of some of our country's greatest experts. We simply don't know at this point. It's also possible that WW3 won't happen until after Trump leaves office.
On the other hand, there is a lot to be positive about. It's practically guaranteed that Justice Scalia's seat will be clenched by a conservative, and perhaps that of whatever Justice dies/resigns next. I'm skeptical that Trump will be able to end abortion, but he can at least get our country closer to this point.

I watched the first part of his speech last night, in which he graciously accepted Hillary's concession, and if I heard correctly he even thanked Hillary for her many years of service to our country. He was definitely striking a conciliatory tone, and it's possible that President Trump will conduct himself in a much more mature and responsible fashion than candidate Trump.
Regardless of what happens next, it is a new day in America. The present generation of Republicans has chosen to reject the old establishment's way of doing things and instead plot a unique course for our generation, and it's also going to be interesting to see how the Democratic Party conducts itself in the aftermath of this loss.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:30:35 PM
At 11/9/2016 3:27:02 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Last night, the entire world was shocked as all predictions on the 2016 U.S. Election, generally showing Hillary to win by a large margin, proved bogus.
Trump is not competent on foreign policy by any means, and if WW3 breaks out during his term we have much worse chances of emerging on top. That being said, if this election proved anything it's that Trump cannot be predicted. It's possible, though not probable, that he will respond to our foreign affairs by listening to the advice of some of our country's greatest experts. We simply don't know at this point. It's also possible that WW3 won't happen until after Trump leaves office.
On the other hand, there is a lot to be positive about. It's practically guaranteed that Justice Scalia's seat will be clenched by a conservative, and perhaps that of whatever Justice dies/resigns next. I'm skeptical that Trump will be able to end abortion, but he can at least get our country closer to this point.

I watched the first part of his speech last night, in which he graciously accepted Hillary's concession, and if I heard correctly he even thanked Hillary for her many years of service to our country. He was definitely striking a conciliatory tone, and it's possible that President Trump will conduct himself in a much more mature and responsible fashion than candidate Trump.
Regardless of what happens next, it is a new day in America. The present generation of Republicans has chosen to reject the old establishment's way of doing things and instead plot a unique course for our generation, and it's also going to be interesting to see how the Democratic Party conducts itself in the aftermath of this loss.

Its nothing less than disgusting. The basket of deplorable is larger than the rational.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:32:25 PM

Thinking that WW3 is goint to break out because of Donald Trump is complete hyperbole. If anything, Obama has been dragging the U.S. closer and closer to, at the very least, a new cold war with Russia. Trump will reverse this decline and strengthen America's ties with Russia. The only other contender is China, and China currently doesn't have the resources or economic means to wage war on the U.S.

Have you forgotten the discussion we had on the political composition of the Supreme Court earlier? This is not a positive. We need centrist judges, not conservative (or liberal) judges.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:49:25 PM

It will be interesting to see if he assigns special prosecutor on Clinton email or tries to reconcile. If he doesn't throw a bone to the people that voted him in by going after Hillary he may lose instant credibility.

However with that said he was right in that his supporters would still support him if he shot someone in the head. The question is which issues and promises he made would lose him support from the public and more importantly lose support from Congress.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:55:54 PM
At 11/9/2016 3:32:25 PM, Subutai wrote:

Thinking that WW3 is goint to break out because of Donald Trump is complete hyperbole. If anything, Obama has been dragging the U.S. closer and closer to, at the very least, a new cold war with Russia. Trump will reverse this decline and strengthen America's ties with Russia. The only other contender is China, and China currently doesn't have the resources or economic means to wage war on the U.S.

WW3 is probably going to happen regardless of who's president. What we need is a leader who will be able to lead our country to victory against Russia and China.

Have you forgotten the discussion we had on the political composition of the Supreme Court earlier? This is not a positive. We need centrist judges, not conservative (or liberal) judges.

I hate the SCOTUS because of Roe v. Wade. This one thing has nulled every positive thing that the Court has ever accomplished. But if instead of abolishing the Court we can get it to overturn Roe v. Wade, I'll be satisfied with that.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:57:41 PM
I don't care if the Court legalises sex with dogs and cats as long as it overturns Roe v Wade.

The DDO Blog:

RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 4:02:53 PM
At 11/9/2016 3:57:41 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I don't care if the Court legalises sex with dogs and cats as long as it overturns Roe v Wade.

I wouldn't count on it being completely overturned, but at this point I would like to see ANY progress on limiting abortions. I do think any legislation in this direction should also address the root causes of abortions, including education, contraception, poverty, etc.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 4:03:01 PM
At 11/9/2016 3:55:54 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

WW3 is probably going to happen regardless of who's president. What we need is a leader who will be able to lead our country to victory against Russia and China.

WW3 may happen at some point, but the chances of it happening any time soon are slim. Sure, Russia's been making a lot of noise, but their economy is in shambles, partially as a result of low oil prices and partially as a result of the current economic structure there. The Russian-supported Ukrainian rebels aren't advancing at all. Russia's in no position to engage in a world war. And China is too caught up in the global economy to be able to engage in war on its own. Plus, it's military isn't very strong right now.

I hate the SCOTUS because of Roe v. Wade. This one thing has nulled every positive thing that the Court has ever accomplished. But if instead of abolishing the Court we can get it to overturn Roe v. Wade, I'll be satisfied with that.

Hating on the Supreme Court for one decision they made 40 years ago is silly, especially considering they've made thousands of other decisions since then, some of which have been just as contentious. We need some sort of universal arbiter of constitutional law.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 4:04:53 PM
At 11/9/2016 3:55:54 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I think historically that's unlikely considering the previous 2 world wars erupted due to outrageous economic sanctions and political hubris. I seriously doubt Trump as a businessman is going to economically provoke Russia, (maybe he could possibly, though unlikely, provoke China... but only through favored trade deals and tariffs, not embargos and sanctions) and will also be unlikely to underestimate Putin. Trump is the one that usually gets underestimated.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 4:10:32 PM
Speaking of Russia, I might now have to rethink my Igor Strelkov scenario: Putin in his own right may be the guy leading Russia when that thing happens.

The DDO Blog: