Jump to topic:

Why Trump supporters stayed quiet

Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 4:37:12 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
I made the mistake of telling the truth of who I was voting for to some of my closest friends, and family only. One girl I was about to go on a date with, who asked me out, tricked me into telling her who I was voting for, then cancelled the date via test as I was walking out the door to pick her up, never heard from her again. Fine by me.
But the worst, was my best friend of 25 plus years, I told her about the situation above, which we always shared everything with each other, but never talked politics. I told her why I believed the date cancelled on me, then she told me never to talk to her again because our views did not align. It hurt because she thinks I am racist, sexist, xenophobe and everything else that the media called Trump. Wish I just kept my mouth shut.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 4:40:16 PM
At 11/11/2016 4:37:12 PM, Davery79 wrote:
I made the mistake of telling the truth of who I was voting for to some of my closest friends, and family only. One girl I was about to go on a date with, who asked me out, tricked me into telling her who I was voting for, then cancelled the date via test as I was walking out the door to pick her up, never heard from her again. Fine by me.
But the worst, was my best friend of 25 plus years, I told her about the situation above, which we always shared everything with each other, but never talked politics. I told her why I believed the date cancelled on me, then she told me never to talk to her again because our views did not align. It hurt because she thinks I am racist, sexist, xenophobe and everything else that the media called Trump. Wish I just kept my mouth shut.

I'm not a trump supporter or opponent. He just didn't address my concerns.
However it is truly sad a friend of that long ended a friendship from a contrived narrative.

Sorry for your loss
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 5:23:53 PM
At 11/11/2016 4:40:16 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

I'm not a trump supporter or opponent. He just didn't address my concerns.
However it is truly sad a friend of that long ended a friendship from a contrived narrative.

Sorry for your loss

Thanks Stymie. I was just more Anti Hillary, and anti-establishment. I understood what Trump needed to do in order to become president, and had to probably upset a lot of people in the process. I respect everyone's views and would never shun anyone for what they believed in, and would never let politics or anything get in the way of a true friendship, or what I thought I had. If people are going to feel that strongly about it, I just hoped they did their fair share of research before cutting people out of their lives. Or at least give them a chance to defend themselves so it can be seen from a different perspective.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 6:00:48 PM

I've lost maybe 2-3 friends after stating that I would have voted for Trump, but I feel really bad for you since what you lost was way more than me.

Just try to kindly explain to them why the media was exaggerating him and how you and Trump aren't (x prejudist) or pretend to stop supporting him.
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 6:32:04 PM
At 11/11/2016 6:00:48 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

I've lost maybe 2-3 friends after stating that I would have voted for Trump, but I feel really bad for you since what you lost was way more than me.

Just try to kindly explain to them why the media was exaggerating him and how you and Trump aren't (x prejudist) or pretend to stop supporting him.

When the conversation ends with "do not contact me again!" it's really hard to reply. I still sent a message back saying, she knows who I am, and I do not think in the terms that she has automatically assumed. I said if she gives me a chance to explain and reasons why, I will be here, she is just so unbelievably pissed. Very stubborn, like me, one of the reasons we got along so well. But I left it with "hope you have a good rest of your life." It's sad.

Sorry you lost the couple of friends you had. I never thought it would come to this, but I am not going to back down and say, oh, you were right, can't believe I voted for that guy. She would see right through that. Did you do that with the couple of friends you lost?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 6:49:35 PM

no you shouldn't have kept quite, it shows she was never your friend. If she judged you like you think after knowing you for that long there's something mentally wrong with her. In the future lay it all out there don't hide anything, that's how you will make real friends and relationships. Don't try to be something your not, if they can't accept you like you are they aren't worth your time. I have not had that happen to be before because I try to follow my own advice.
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 7:25:12 PM

If your friend knew you for 25 years, she should have known you weren't racist, sexist, and all those other things she assumed of you for voting for Trump. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Ken
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 7:51:03 PM
At 11/11/2016 6:32:04 PM, Davery79 wrote:
At 11/11/2016 6:00:48 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

When the conversation ends with "do not contact me again!" it's really hard to reply. I still sent a message back saying, she knows who I am, and I do not think in the terms that she has automatically assumed. I said if she gives me a chance to explain and reasons why, I will be here, she is just so unbelievably pissed. Very stubborn, like me, one of the reasons we got along so well. But I left it with "hope you have a good rest of your life." It's sad.
I suppose then you should just try to talk to her in person and talk to her about the media's lies, and defend yourself on why Trump isn't a racist or anything.

But to be honest they might not have been the friend or date you were looking for if they are too sensitive to leave someone over simple politics.

Sorry you lost the couple of friends you had. I never thought it would come to this, but I am not going to back down and say, oh, you were right, can't believe I voted for that guy. She would see right through that. Did you do that with the couple of friends you lost?
I kind of forget about them to be honest; they probably weren't too loyal of a friend if they really ditch me over political differences.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 7:55:34 PM

Not to the extent that you've experienced. My gf was a Hillary supporter (and is from a Muslim family) so texting her at 3 am that her candidate lost was somewhat difficult to do. However, letting politics outweigh the love we have for one another would just be silly and nonsensical. I've since calmed her down about it and she's come to accept the reality of the situation but we certainly had some in-depth conversations at times.

There weren't any issues within my family either, some supported Hillary and some supported Trump but, at the end of the day, we're family above all else.

I also live in a very "red" area, so public discussions about Trump with strangers usually ended in "Hell yeah, let's make America great again!"
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 8:33:01 PM
All very true... thanks guys. I lost no family over it, in fact I helped them to see some of the light a little bit on a few issues, but they still stuck with Hillary, and I am fine with that.

There is a possibility that she has a new jealous boyfriend, she has had them in the past, but always managed to keep me in her life. Maybe she just found an excuse to cut ties.

It does seem hard to believe that she would turn the tables like that all of the sudden.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input. But I do think that many people stay quiet, and rightly so.

I heard the CEO of Grub Hub is going to fire anyone who admits they voted for Trump or talks about him in a positive light at work. Talk about bullying.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 9:26:13 PM

That is a bit odd to have a best friend for 25 years and one leave due to the presidential candidate the other is supporting. There are probably some other dynamics going on as I assume you are male and she is female.

You didn't try to grab her by the pvssy did you?
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 9:37:26 PM
At 11/11/2016 9:26:13 PM, slo1 wrote:

That is a bit odd to have a best friend for 25 years and one leave due to the presidential candidate the other is supporting. There are probably some other dynamics going on as I assume you are male and she is female.

Not lately. We had our moments years ago, when I did, it was welcomed. Good one though. Touche.
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 9:38:56 PM

Not lately. We had our moments years ago, when I did, it was welcomed. Good one though.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 9:48:22 PM
At 11/11/2016 9:38:56 PM, Davery79 wrote:

Not lately. We had our moments years ago, when I did, it was welcomed. Good one though.

I didn't mean to be a dick, but that is my favorite line from this election.

Best friend males wouldn't ditch the other because he supported Trump. Boy girl non romantic relationships are a completely different thing.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 9:59:32 PM
I'm sorry for everybody's loss, as a Hillary supporter I'm glad I haven't made the mistake of dumping friends over this
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 1:30:07 PM
At 11/11/2016 9:48:22 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 11/11/2016 9:38:56 PM, Davery79 wrote:

I didn't mean to be a dick, but that is my favorite line from this election.

Best friend males wouldn't ditch the other because he supported Trump. Boy girl non romantic relationships are a completely different thing.

I didn't think you were being a dick. I thought it was funny and, unfortunately, appropriate. Yeah, some people, will not even give you a chance to explain the reasons for who they are voting for. That is why I think 50% of her friends are probably lying to her, or most of them are teachers as well, and just reinforce her thoughts.

She is a teacher, and I think not dealing with the private sector on a daily basis and what is being forced taught in schools makes teachers think they know what is happening out there in the real world. That is why a lot of the protests and marches are organized by college students and teachers alike. If they dealt with the starting of businesses, and the closing of them like I do, they would understand why I stand where I do. But it it impossible to even talk about it, they just cut you off, and think you are automatically racist.

I will always have an open ear to different view points, I've actually been hoping for it. If something is ever said to me that I didn't already know, and was compelling, deserving of research, I would definitely consider changing my mind.
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 1:42:49 PM

Has this happened to anyone else? : :

It would have been better to say, "Jesus loves you" than "Donald Trump loves you".

It's all about fear that mostly came from the media about Donald Trump. How can he be worse than Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, George Bush Jr. or Obama? How about the young sex fiend Bill Clinton when he was running for office?

The media has gotten much worse than it used to be in its reporting and we have way too many media outlets today via the internet so the young voters are getting very confused about politics.
BeingWright
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 1:45:00 PM
Thats the Hillary supporters for you. Breaking 25 year old long friendship because your friend doesnt support Shillary like you.
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:56:14 PM
At 11/14/2016 1:45:00 PM, BeingWright wrote:
Thats the Hillary supporters for you. Breaking 25 year old long friendship because your friend doesnt support Shillary like you.

Verbatim text message,

Dave,
If I found out a boy I was going out with aligned his morals and values with a corrupt racist, sexist human being, I would cancel the date as well. In fact, I thought you were a better person that that. I'm a woman who cares about my future and my human rights being protected as well as other people's human rights, and I think you mad a horrible uneducated decision. My morals and values do not align with yours anymore. If you could vote for that man and agree with his views--you must be equally as horrible. Hopefully one day my feelings will change, but at this point, I'm so devastated for our country because of people like you! I'm done with your for now. Don't contact me again!
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:12:16 PM
It's honestly absurd to me the level of politics in you guys' everyday relationships. I can actually imagine it your friend of 25 years told you never to talk to her again, that she'd invest more of herself in her politics than a 25 fcking year friendship. It seems really broken. I'm happy to be Irish and live somewhere pretty much wholly apolitical, to be honest.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:43:48 PM

The problem with how the election turned out is that both sides are so divided, that you often get either Trump supporters saying "Clinton is the anti-christ, and people who vote for her should be kicked out of the country", and Clinton supporters saying "Trump is a sexist, racist, power-hungry idiot who's going to destroy the country and kill us all". So the people who were silent were either people who were smart enough to realize the consequences of sharing their choice, or were just undecided until election day.

It's sad that we're at a point where we can be "dehumanized" by people simply for having different views. There's nothing wrong with supporting and believing different things, and while we can disagree and argue about these views, it shouldn't end in "don't ever talk to me again" and "I hope harm comes to you".

I can't vote now, since I'm too young, but when the next election comes around, I'm just gonna say that I voted for the right person when asked.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:46:48 PM

No, but that's almost certainly something to do with the fact that I live and work on a military base. Most of us in the military favor Trump due to the whole not-going-to-war-with-Russia thing.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:49:10 PM
At 11/11/2016 8:33:01 PM, Davery79 wrote:
All very true... thanks guys. I lost no family over it, in fact I helped them to see some of the light a little bit on a few issues, but they still stuck with Hillary, and I am fine with that.

There is a possibility that she has a new jealous boyfriend, she has had them in the past, but always managed to keep me in her life. Maybe she just found an excuse to cut ties.

It does seem hard to believe that she would turn the tables like that all of the sudden.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input. But I do think that many people stay quiet, and rightly so.

I heard the CEO of Grub Hub is going to fire anyone who admits they voted for Trump or talks about him in a positive light at work. Talk about bullying.

I'm pretty sure that's an illegal reason to fire someone, but hey, I may be wrong.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:00:01 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:49:10 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's an illegal reason to fire someone, but hey, I may be wrong.

doesn't matter, they would just make up another reason, or not give a reason, since you don't even have to give a reason, the term "right to work" is a joke, you have NO right to work in the way it sounds.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:02:00 PM

I've actually had quite a few friends that voted for Trump, and I've had a number of discussions with a lot of them concerning it, and tried to make it clear that me not agreeing with them is neither a personal attack or judgement.

But this cuts both ways; there have been so many people calling Hillary corrupt, the anti-christ, evil, etc and that she is the worst thing ever.

Here's the issue now.

The country needs to come together: But it seems a number of trump supporters use this phrase to mean "you need to shut up and start supporting Trump", or words to that effect.

The country needs to get back to the position where political discourse is relatively health, disagreement is a driver for change, and people hold their own opinions accountable.

For example, those that don't support Trump need to recognize that he won the election and even if he did not win a popular vote, that victory gives the right to let him govern, but not the right to do everything he wants unopposed.

For those that did support Trump, there are a laundry list of reasons why people opposed him, or didnt think he'd be a good president. You all need to hold him accountable: if he does everything or most of what the left claimed would happen, and little or none of what he said would happen; you need to stop and think about whether you may be mistaken about all the positions you held, and think about what led you to hold them in the first places.

At the moment, no one on either side seems to have the ability to admit that they are wrong about anything, and that the other side is right about anything; that has to change.
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 8:13:55 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:43:48 PM, Vaarka wrote:

The problem with how the election turned out is that both sides are so divided, that you often get either Trump supporters saying "Clinton is the anti-christ, and people who vote for her should be kicked out of the country", and Clinton supporters saying "Trump is a sexist, racist, power-hungry idiot who's going to destroy the country and kill us all". So the people who were silent were either people who were smart enough to realize the consequences of sharing their choice, or were just undecided until election day.

It's sad that we're at a point where we can be "dehumanized" by people simply for having different views. There's nothing wrong with supporting and believing different things, and while we can disagree and argue about these views, it shouldn't end in "don't ever talk to me again" and "I hope harm comes to you".

I can't vote now, since I'm too young, but when the next election comes around, I'm just gonna say that I voted for the right person when asked.

I don't think anyone is going to drop a friendship like that because they voted for Clinton, Trump supporters wouldn't care, unless they were actually KKK. It would just be another 8 years of what we already have dealt with. Now, if this vote gets overturned because of the electoral vote, it might be a different story.
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 8:36:39 PM
At 11/14/2016 4:00:01 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/14/2016 3:49:10 PM, Vaarka wrote:

doesn't matter, they would just make up another reason, or not give a reason, since you don't even have to give a reason, the term "right to work" is a joke, you have NO right to work in the way it sounds.

I think it actually is legal anyway, especially if you are causing a distraction at work, pushing an agenda, and starting arguments. Remember a private company is not a democracy. Come to think of it, neither is the US. It is a republic....
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 8:41:26 PM

Well if you read my Why Donald Trump Won The Election....I can understand why you would be "afraid".
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 8:54:12 PM
At 11/14/2016 4:02:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

I've actually had quite a few friends that voted for Trump, and I've had a number of discussions with a lot of them concerning it, and tried to make it clear that me not agreeing with them is neither a personal attack or judgement.

But this cuts both ways; there have been so many people calling Hillary corrupt, the anti-christ, evil, etc and that she is the worst thing ever.

Here's the issue now.

The country needs to come together: But it seems a number of trump supporters use this phrase to mean "you need to shut up and start supporting Trump", or words to that effect.

The country needs to get back to the position where political discourse is relatively health, disagreement is a driver for change, and people hold their own opinions accountable.

For example, those that don't support Trump need to recognize that he won the election and even if he did not win a popular vote, that victory gives the right to let him govern, but not the right to do everything he wants unopposed.

For those that did support Trump, there are a laundry list of reasons why people opposed him, or didnt think he'd be a good president. You all need to hold him accountable: if he does everything or most of what the left claimed would happen, and little or none of what he said would happen; you need to stop and think about whether you may be mistaken about all the positions you held, and think about what led you to hold them in the first places.

At the moment, no one on either side seems to have the ability to admit that they are wrong about anything, and that the other side is right about anything; that has to change.

So true, without opposition, there is never change. People's views must be respected, and so should the laws that govern us. If Trump starts making executive decisions and somehow surpasses congress to get his policies enacted, then I would have serious misgivings about my decision. That is what happens though, many people regret who they have voted for in the past, and many people keep even past elections to themselves years later. This one will be one of those occasions, unless he does exceptionally well, then you will have the bandwagon people.

He will probably be one of the most held accountable Presidents in US history. This is one of the multiple reasons I voted for him, tipping the scale... There was a lot to weigh.