Jump to topic:

Thoughts on Trump presidency?

warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:27:06 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
I want to survey the DDO landscape as to what people think the Trump presidency will entail. He's already gone back on a few campaign promises. The key question is: will Trump be the man he said he would, or just another politician that does anything to get elected? Was the campaigning Trump the same as President Trump?

From there I'd like to hear what people think on a few issues. Feel free to answer any and all.

Social:
Muslim Ban
Stop and Frisk
Race Relations as a whole
LGBT Rights
Women's Rights

Domestic:
Drugs
Economy
Education
Energy/Environment
Healthcare
Infrastructure
Jobs
Second Amendment
Taxes

International:
Afghanistan
Defense
ISIS
Immigration (Especially "The Wall")
Middle East (Excluding ISIS and Afghanistan)
Russia
Trade (Specifically TPP and NAFTA)
Torture of Terror Suspects

Washington:
Cabinet
"Draining the Swamp"
Lobbying
Term Limits

How will Trump act on these issues (or any others you find important) and will it be in the best interest of America? Will Trump make good on his campaign promises or will he do a 180? Will he truly "Make America Great Again," will he take us backward, or will he let us stagnate?

I don't want this to be a forum where people discuss what Trump said or did in the past which was or wasn't wrong. I also don't want people complaining about the protests. I only want thoughts on what he'll do as our next president.
-warren42

"Give me liberty. That's it. I can handle the rest."
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:01:07 AM
At 11/14/2016 2:27:06 AM, warren42 wrote:
I want to survey the DDO landscape as to what people think the Trump presidency will entail. He's already gone back on a few campaign promises. The key question is: will Trump be the man he said he would, or just another politician that does anything to get elected? Was the campaigning Trump the same as President Trump?

From there I'd like to hear what people think on a few issues. Feel free to answer any and all.

Social:
Muslim Ban

It'll be done intelligently, and it needs to happen. Zero refugees, make Syria habitable again instead.

Stop and Frisk

Not going to happen, wouldn't really want it to. Even if it does, the courts will strike it down.

That largely depends on the other side, and whether they squander the goodwill which exists right now. I'm cautiously optimistic.

LGBT Rights

No change.

Women's Rights

No change.

Domestic:
Drugs

No idea, actually. I'm interested to see what happens here.

Economy

Depends on Congress.

Education

Hopefully reformed.

Energy/Environment

The Obama administration has been good about securing energy supply abroad, but the heavy pressure from the green wing of his party has led to domestic policy which is nothing short of insane. I will be glad to see sanity return.

Healthcare

Mild improvements.

Infrastructure
Jobs

Great improvements on both, with manufacturing returning and shovel-ready jobs.

Second Amendment

Great strides, especially with Supreme Court nominations.

Taxes

Up in the air, really. It all comes down to what is negotiated.

International:
Afghanistan

Not much will happen, the big conflict will be to the south (Kashmir). Chinese and Russian interests intersect there, with the interests of rising power India. Where those interests intersect, so do ours.

Defense

Likely to become more moderate and defensive. The abandonment of moronic neocon assumptions about 'suppression'.

ISIS

Done

BUILD IT TALL. Immigration will be solved with implacable efficiency. I can't wait.

This is too volatile to predict. Things are coming unhinged. Turkey, Iran/Russia, and the Saudis all scrambling for influence in the center, Shia Iran is waging a shadow war against the Saudis, and tensions are high between Pakistan and India. North Africa, including Mali, is still largely unstable. It's going to be a power struggle.

Russia

We will finally have a sane policy of cautious cooperation with Russia, we will successfully pivot to Asia, and hopefully contain China by pulling India into our alliance as well. The Cold War containment strategies which crippled the USSR need to be turned on China before they rise further; we've been applying them to Russia for decades despite the demise of the Cold War ideology which made them essential, despite the collapse of Russian demographics, and despite a new economic order which gives us the ability to economically cripple Russia and cause internal schisms among their oligarchy. The result has been a self-fulfilling prophecy: Russia readopted it's suspicious, hostile stance during the Clinton, Bush, and Obama administrations. This doesn't mean that we're going to be 'best buddies', but we can cooperate where interests coincide, and engage where they do not, without the entire relationship being flavored my mutual paranoia which does not match up to reality (aging population, fragmented foreign territory, dependence on a global economic system controlled by us, etc.)

TPP is dead. NAFTA will undergo severe changes. Tariff threats will be made, and the inane predictions of 'trade wars' will not materialize because, surprise, surprise, access to the largest consumer market in the world by a factor of fvcking three is a very tempting carrot, and exclusion from the aforementioned market is a very frightening stick when your economy is structured around those exports. What has changed is that the government apparatus will no longer be in the hands of people who are utterly beholden to corporate elites who reap all of the benefits of trade while dumping the costs on the lower class. We will have to negotiate a new trade deal with Pacific Rim nations in order to contain China, but this one will not be written by transnational, rootless corporations.

Meh. Kind of irrelevant, imo, if they are not US citizens.

Washington:
Cabinet

No idea at this point. Speculation is just that.

"Draining the Swamp"

The stage is perfect for this. The GOP can't overrule Trump, he can threaten to reach across the aisle, his supporters can threaten primary challenges, and the Supreme Court nominations are a YUUUUUGE bargaining chip. He really has them by the balls.

Lobbying

It will be ineffective on Trump, for obvious reasons.

Term Limits

Dunno. It would be nice, but almost impossible to pass.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:17:05 AM

Social:
Muslim Ban
I don't have a problem with temporary banning muslims until we can reform our system to not allow any Muslims holding reactionary (or even radical) views and won't assimilate within the US.

Stop and Frisk
I doubt it will pass through congress

He's going to increase the number of police in inner cities and "clean them up", which I believe will probably help a lot of minorities in poor areas. And the general idea of increasing the amount of police and enforcing the law better is something I am in favor of, and it would likely combat the "criminal lifestyle" or "thug life" that appeals to some minorities. Overall, I think that Trump will improve race relations despite the current outrage and increase of hate crimes.

LGBT Rights
They can get married already; there's nothing else to move further on.

Women's Rights
No idea.

Domestic:
Drugs
Never heard his policy on drugs.

Economy
Doesn't seem too bad.

Education
He wants to get rid of common core, implement vouchers/school choice, and help end the awful primary-secondary public education system currently set in place. The current system is awful, and is basically overly centralized and controlled by DC bureaucrats.

Energy/Environment
Environmental issues tend to be over-exaggerated, and he'll probably let the free market decide on the best energy source.

Healthcare
No idea.

Infrastructure
Haven't heard much but seems good.

Jobs
No idea.

Second Amendment
Not much change.

Taxes
If he can lower taxes while also balancing the budget, then that would be pretty great.

International:
Afghanistan
Not much change.

Defense
Generally improved as he wants to increase the defense budget (i'm hoping Trump actually balances the budget properly and isn't another deficit-spending democrat)

ISIS
Bomb the hell outta 'em!

He'll improve our immigration policy and make sure we are more careful on who we let in. Overall I like his immigration policy, and the wall seems a bit far-fetched but I could care less. Whatever helps increase border security is fine by me.

Unpredictable as is everything that is about to happen in that chaotic mess of the world.

Russia
Better relations with Russia are something I have long opted for, and I am hoping Trump will do that while also defending certain countries against Russian aggression when necessary (which I believe he did state).

meh....

meh... But they're terrorists and non-citizens so whatever.

Washington:
Cabinet
Nobody knows.

"Draining the Swamp"
Alright

Lobbying
He might just vastly shrink the lobbying going on in congress, and of course he isn't impacted by this.

Term Limits
I doubt this will pass.

How will Trump act on these issues (or any others you find important) and will it be in the best interest of America? Will Trump make good on his campaign promises or will he do a 180? Will he truly "Make America Great Again," will he take us backward, or will he let us stagnate?
Let's hope he will "Make America Great Again"

I don't want this to be a forum where people discuss what Trump said or did in the past which was or wasn't wrong. I also don't want people complaining about the protests. I only want thoughts on what he'll do as our next president.
Same here, but these regressives want nothing but to create a bunch of retarded threads about insulting the littlest things about Trump rather than discussing real politics.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:02:25 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
No president could ever fix every issue, especially in 4 years. But I think it will be interesting. "Trump also told "60 Minutes" he would eschew the $400,000 annual salary for the president, taking only $1 a year."
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:04:04 PM

Social:
Muslim Ban
Stop and Frisk
LGBT Rights
Women's Rights

Domestic:
Drugs
Economy
Education
Energy/Environment
Healthcare
Infrastructure
Jobs
Second Amendment
Taxes

International:
Afghanistan
Defense
ISIS
Russia

Washington:
Cabinet
"Draining the Swamp"
Lobbying
Term Limits

I don't want this to be a forum where people discuss what Trump said or did in the past which was or wasn't wrong. I also don't want people complaining about the protests. I only want thoughts on what he'll do as our next president. : :

Which ex-President has fulfilled his campaign promises?
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:20:02 PM
I don't think Trump is a fraud. I don't think this is all some vain indulgence by him. I think he genuinely means to Make America Great Again. But then I think he's a really ridiculous person, a really simple beast; and, I mean, definitely incompetent; and it's just such a strange presidency.

What I see of Trump is a reaction to 9/11. And you can see it even in his earlier days, when he was pottering around running, his chasing after Obama, the whole birth certificate thing. I think Trump made some nice money back in the 70's in New York City, Made It Great Again, and just believed the hype about himself a little too much. And then the Twin Towers came down. And all of a sudden there was more than just money went into making a place great.

And I know that's all a sort of scandalously artsy rendering of Trump. And paints him a ridiculously simple beast. But that's what I think he is. I don't think this man's going to be competent in any real sense. I think he thinks it's all as simple as building a wall. But hey, maybe it is. Definite pity about the views on fcking global warming, though.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:23:09 PM
In all fairness, Hillary Clinton was the fraud. But at least with her, America would've been pretending to something better.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 7:54:21 PM

Social:
Muslim Ban

Stupid, we already have one of the toughest vetting in the world. No one would want to keep their family in an area where bombs are being dropped, void essential services and food. Many people are helpless and just want to stay alive.

Stop and Frisk

Racial profiling at its best. Unless we are under martial law there's no need to violate anyone' personal rights.

The Republican party's continued existence is predicated that they are more sympathetic, even if superficially. It will be a bit of a hall after all the vitriol Trump has spewed, which has given rise to the public display of bigotry that has occurred recently by the white boy/gal nationalist of little education.

LGBT Rights
Gay marriage will stay in place much to the dismay of the alt conservatives.

Women's Rights

This will go down the tubes. Contraception will be more difficult to obtain by low income women. Planned parenthood will get defunded.

Domestic:

Economy - Initially will make a swing up, level out then take a very big nose dive when realities set in on deficits and devaluation of the dollar. Investments will move toward the Euro for its stability. Mfg jobs will not increase. Marginal increase in the service area jobs that are low paying.

Education

Will totally be trashed. Common Core has to go, but accountability through drill and kill techniques will continue for testing. The budget will shrink further and there will be more for-profit charter schools. This will further drain poor inner city schools and make attaining a good educations skewed more toward those in a higher financial class.

Energy/Environment

Trashed again. The Koch bros. now have everything they wanted without endorsing Trump.

Healthcare

The baby will be thrown out with the bathwater. Cross state insurance competition will not bring prices down. Insurers do not want those in the lower economic strata apart of their pools due to their higher illness rates. They make more money keeping them out.

Infrastructure

Toll booths and unfinished road projects as far as the eyes can see.

Jobs

initial up-tick than crash and burn

Second Amendment-

No change

Taxes

The rich get richer and invest their new money over seas where building and labor is cheaper. Stock buy backs to the hilt and CEO's bonus checks blow up to unimaginable of proportions.

International:
Afghanistan

More of the same.

Defense

Big bucks will be spent. The Pentagon and the military industry will love it. More $600 toilet seats coming down the pike.

ISIS

Untold civilians will die with even more refugees. They will become desperate and join the cause because it will be the only shelter and food that can be had. If factions in the Middle East hate us now, more will jump on that train during Trump's reign.

There will be no "Great Wall of the US." Too costly and too much land needs to be taken under eminent domain. More fencing yes and a great increase of patrols, tech and budget.

Russia

Despite Trump' admiration for Putin, there' hope that administration will keep Trump in check. Putin cannot be allowed to expand his territories. His move into the Baltic and Ukraine is a big threat to Europe.

TTP gone. NAFTA renegotiation will be down the pike. There are too many US firms invested in Mexico, can't harm one without harming the other. Prices for raw material will skyrocket for US based companies if tariffs are put in place. Prices for consumer goods will rise as well. Walmart pricing will be akin to Whole Foods.

Will not happen. I don't see us violating the Geneva Convention or other international law on human rights.

Washington:

Cabinet
Look at the start Priebus, Bannon, Giuliani, Gingrich, Christie supporter cronies, we'll see more of the same; not the very smart people he's promised to appoint.

"Draining the Swamp"

I'll get worse. There will be no term limits. Considering 50%/43% Of Reps and Dems net worth has increased on average of 422% or more while holding office there' no incentive to have term limits. It' a personal wealth builder enterprise.

Lobbying

No change, they bring in the money for campaigns.

warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 1:32:28 AM
At 11/14/2016 2:04:04 PM, Escobar wrote:

Social:
Muslim Ban
Stop and Frisk
LGBT Rights
Women's Rights

Domestic:
Drugs
Economy
Education
Energy/Environment
Healthcare
Infrastructure
Jobs
Second Amendment
Taxes

International:
Afghanistan
Defense
ISIS
Russia

Washington:
Cabinet
"Draining the Swamp"
Lobbying
Term Limits

I don't want this to be a forum where people discuss what Trump said or did in the past which was or wasn't wrong. I also don't want people complaining about the protests. I only want thoughts on what he'll do as our next president. : :

Which ex-President has fulfilled his campaign promises?

Each of them fulfills some. That's why I created this thread, asking what the Forums think he'll follow through on.
-warren42

"Give me liberty. That's it. I can handle the rest."
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 2:10:28 AM
On the contrary to being a dictator-type that people have claimed he would be; I think he'll change his mind and/or fail to actually do most of what he said. He may not have had special interests to promote during his campaign...but there was certainly 'his' interest-which was getting elected. He would have said anything to target and engage a certain voter base.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 2:24:23 AM
At 11/14/2016 7:54:21 PM, Peepette wrote:

Social:
Muslim Ban

Stupid, we already have one of the toughest vetting in the world. No one would want to keep their family in an area where bombs are being dropped, void essential services and food. Many people are helpless and just want to stay alive.

Stop and Frisk

Racial profiling at its best. Unless we are under martial law there's no need to violate anyone' personal rights.

The Republican party's continued existence is predicated that they are more sympathetic, even if superficially. It will be a bit of a hall after all the vitriol Trump has spewed, which has given rise to the public display of bigotry that has occurred recently by the white boy/gal nationalist of little education.

LGBT Rights
Gay marriage will stay in place much to the dismay of the alt conservatives.

Women's Rights

This will go down the tubes. Contraception will be more difficult to obtain by low income women. Planned parenthood will get defunded.

Domestic:

Economy - Initially will make a swing up, level out then take a very big nose dive when realities set in on deficits and devaluation of the dollar. Investments will move toward the Euro for its stability. Mfg jobs will not increase. Marginal increase in the service area jobs that are low paying.

Education

Will totally be trashed. Common Core has to go, but accountability through drill and kill techniques will continue for testing. The budget will shrink further and there will be more for-profit charter schools. This will further drain poor inner city schools and make attaining a good educations skewed more toward those in a higher financial class.

Energy/Environment

Trashed again. The Koch bros. now have everything they wanted without endorsing Trump.

Healthcare

The baby will be thrown out with the bathwater. Cross state insurance competition will not bring prices down. Insurers do not want those in the lower economic strata apart of their pools due to their higher illness rates. They make more money keeping them out.

Infrastructure

Toll booths and unfinished road projects as far as the eyes can see.

Jobs

initial up-tick than crash and burn

Second Amendment-

No change

Taxes

The rich get richer and invest their new money over seas where building and labor is cheaper. Stock buy backs to the hilt and CEO's bonus checks blow up to unimaginable of proportions.

International:
Afghanistan

More of the same.

Defense

Big bucks will be spent. The Pentagon and the military industry will love it. More $600 toilet seats coming down the pike.

ISIS

Untold civilians will die with even more refugees. They will become desperate and join the cause because it will be the only shelter and food that can be had. If factions in the Middle East hate us now, more will jump on that train during Trump's reign.

There will be no "Great Wall of the US." Too costly and too much land needs to be taken under eminent domain. More fencing yes and a great increase of patrols, tech and budget.

Russia

Despite Trump' admiration for Putin, there' hope that administration will keep Trump in check. Putin cannot be allowed to expand his territories. His move into the Baltic and Ukraine is a big threat to Europe.

TTP gone. NAFTA renegotiation will be down the pike. There are too many US firms invested in Mexico, can't harm one without harming the other. Prices for raw material will skyrocket for US based companies if tariffs are put in place. Prices for consumer goods will rise as well. Walmart pricing will be akin to Whole Foods.

Will not happen. I don't see us violating the Geneva Convention or other international law on human rights.

Washington:

Cabinet
Look at the start Priebus, Bannon, Giuliani, Gingrich, Christie supporter cronies, we'll see more of the same; not the very smart people he's promised to appoint.

"Draining the Swamp"

I'll get worse. There will be no term limits. Considering 50%/43% Of Reps and Dems net worth has increased on average of 422% or more while holding office there' no incentive to have term limits. It' a personal wealth builder enterprise.

Lobbying

No change, they bring in the money for campaigns.

Completely agreed
#BlackLivesMatter