Jump to topic:

U.S. Presidential Race, 2020

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 12:26:43 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
Okay, so it's pretty much guaranteed that Trump will be the GOP nominee, since the incumbent generally does secure the nomination of his or her party.
The only question, then, is that of the Democrat nominee.

I predict that it'll be a radical leftist and a political outsider who'll put a bigger emphasis on "minority rights" (that is, the idea that straight white men are oppressing everyone else) over the traditional focus on class warfare. I've thought of a few possible candidates:
-Rachel Dolezal, the former president of a local NAACP chapter in Spokane, Washington, who gained national prominence whenever it was revealed that she was a white person masquerading as black (she now identifies as "transracial").
-Cecile Richards, President of Planned Parenthood from 2006 to the present. She's had a long history of political activism.
-Bruce Jenner, who identifies as transgender and is viewed as a hero by many on the Left.
-Kanye West (He said that he'd run, if I'm not mistaken). He once declared that President Bush "doesn't care about black people", though he later apologised for this remark.
-Elizabeth Warren, a relative newcomer to Congress who is popular among progressives. She didn't run in 2016, but that might've been because she wanted Hillary Clinton/Bernie Sanders to become President. Since it isn't feasible that Hillary will run a third time, and that Sanders will probably be on his last leg by that time, 2020 could be her year.

These are the only ones I can think of. What other people might run?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 12:46:33 AM
At 11/16/2016 12:26:43 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Okay, so it's pretty much guaranteed that Trump will be the GOP nominee, since the incumbent generally does secure the nomination of his or her party.

As of now, it'd only be 'his.' We haven't had a female president yet. Regardless, I think Trump will be a one-term president. He's already 70 and his unpopularity is unlike anything we've seen. Sure, he won the nomination, but I doubt he'll be re-elected, especially if his tenure is as disastrous as it's predicted to be (then again, he's defied all expectations to this point).

I predict that it'll be a radical leftist and a political outsider who'll put a bigger emphasis on "minority rights" (that is, the idea that straight white men are oppressing everyone else) over the traditional focus on class warfare. I've thought of a few possible candidates:
-Rachel Dolezal, the former president of a local NAACP chapter in Spokane, Washington, who gained national prominence whenever it was revealed that she was a white person masquerading as black (she now identifies as "transracial").
-Cecile Richards, President of Planned Parenthood from 2006 to the present. She's had a long history of political activism.
-Bruce Jenner, who identifies as transgender and is viewed as a hero by many on the Left.

Not in 2020.

-Kanye West (He said that he'd run, if I'm not mistaken). He once declared that President Bush "doesn't care about black people", though he later apologised for this remark.

Not a chance.

-Elizabeth Warren, a relative newcomer to Congress who is popular among progressives. She didn't run in 2016, but that might've been because she wanted Hillary Clinton/Bernie Sanders to become President. Since it isn't feasible that Hillary will run a third time, and that Sanders will probably be on his last leg by that time, 2020 could be her year.

I think this is the best probability. She has a lot of support.

I think there's a good chance O'Malley or Webb would run again. Without a big name like Clinton in their way, they'd likely do much better than they did this cycle.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 1:18:07 AM

No longer relevant.

Possible, but I doubt it.

Jenner is Republican and vilified by the left because of it.

Nobody likes him.

Of the ones you've suggested, she's the most likely.

Bernie Sanders is the most likely contender. He's the most popular and the only one who stands a chance against Trump.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 1:32:09 AM

I really don't think Trump will last the 4 full years nor give up his empire for an additional 4.

I don't see a big thumper on minority rights per say, not that it will not be an issue. The US is still predominately white and the Dems will want their blue collars back on their side. A real discussion and education on econ policy needs to occur between now and then. Most of the country does not pay attention to the finer points and follows what the media spews. Hopefully they will wise up, doubtful though. I think after Trump the masses will finally realize trickle down does not work and suppresses their wages.

Not a single one, I feel is a contender. Jenner, West, REALLY! no background or depth. After Trump as a neophyte the country will be done with this mess.

Elizabeth Warren is the best best if they can get her to run. She is formidable in congress and is well versed in banking and finance. She'll be 71 by 2020, still young enough by today's standards.

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 2:11:44 AM

I predict that it'll be a radical leftist and a political outsider who'll put a bigger emphasis on "minority rights" (that is, the idea that straight white men are oppressing everyone else) over the traditional focus on class warfare.

That's assuming that the Democrats learn absolutely *nothing* from this debacle. If they do run that message, their nominee is gonna lose bigly no matter who it is (unless Trump is an epic fail during his first term, which is unlikely). Americans are tired of SJWism, and the failure of Hillary's campaign is hard evidence of that. I don't think the Democrats will be as stupid as you say. I predict that they'll be wisen up over the next 4 years and reject SJWism as the toxic trash it is, shifting to a more Bernie-esque populist message and running a charismatic, morally upstanding figure like Corey Booker. Someone like that might actually stand a chance against Trump in 2020.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 2:13:53 AM

I will bet that Trump doesn't run for a second term, he does not want to be president until 78 and he was not prepared even this time. If anything he will set up Pence, who will be rejected for being too far right. Warren is hates by both democrats and republicans, especially by Bernie supporters. I do not think she would get much, if Keith Ellison does not get chairman that he could probably make it. Kanye would not be a legit campaign, less than Trump, Bruce Jenner is very unlikely as well.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 3:59:23 AM
At 11/16/2016 2:11:44 AM, Romanii wrote:

I predict that it'll be a radical leftist and a political outsider who'll put a bigger emphasis on "minority rights" (that is, the idea that straight white men are oppressing everyone else) over the traditional focus on class warfare.

That's assuming that the Democrats learn absolutely *nothing* from this debacle. If they do run that message, their nominee is gonna lose bigly no matter who it is (unless Trump is an epic fail during his first term, which is unlikely). Americans are tired of SJWism, and the failure of Hillary's campaign is hard evidence of that. I don't think the Democrats will be as stupid as you say. I predict that they'll be wisen up over the next 4 years and reject SJWism as the toxic trash it is, shifting to a more Bernie-esque populist message and running a charismatic, morally upstanding figure like Corey Booker. Someone like that might actually stand a chance against Trump in 2020.

Think of presidential elections as cyclical in nature. It's part of the cycle that the Democratic base is gonna get really tired of Republican establishment politics (AKA virtually every decision that Trump's gonna make during his presidency, despite his rhetoric) and the supposed racism and sexism inherent in his administration. America's actually gonna want an SJW over Trump by the time we reach 2020.
It isn't so much that the Democratic party establishment is gonna field a radical. Rather, a radical will run, the base will demand that this person get the nomination, and the party will be forced to agree.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 4:09:12 AM

At this point, I would say the future of politics is heavily unpredictable, and so is Trump's presidency in general. Any predictions of the 2020 presidential race is just speculation at this point.

Trump's victory is definitely going to change politics in the United States, and has shook the left and right wings to shift on many different views and political strategies.

All I would say is that both parties might become more populist, with more of an anti-establishment and anti-elitist appeal to them. (i.e. Trump criticizing the establishment or Sanders constantly complaining about Wall Street). The party establishment of both parties are probably heavily confused and threatened about what's going to happen.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 4:39:27 AM
Okay, so it's pretty much guaranteed that Drumpf will be the GOP nominee, since the incumbent generally does secure the nomination of his or her party.

There are not a whole lot of radical leftists in the Democratic Party. I should know, I'm a radical.
And you think the democrats care about class warfare? When it comes to that they are on the same side as the republicans! Neither of them care about the working class.
That's not gonna happen, and if she ran she wouldn't get any coverage.
She has never really shown an interest in running for public office, so I have my doubts, but you never know
-Caitlyn Jenner, who identifies as transgender and is viewed as a hero by many on the Left.
She's a republican
He did say he's gonna run (but was high when he said it). He'd probably run as an independent, if he does run.
If she runs she will win the nomination, too early to predict the presidency, because we have 4 YEARS!

-Keith Ellison would be my preferred choice, but he is likely to be elected DNC chair. He is young though and could energize the Bernie Sanders wing of the party
-Bernie Sanders could still run, although, he will be 78 in 2020, so he is unlikely
-Tim Kaine, he was the Veep for Hillary and he could try to run on behalf of the corporate establishment
-Cory Booker is the most likely candidate as he was the Start at the convention and is popular among the base. The problem is that he only talks the talk. At the end of the day, he is still a New Democrat.
-Sherrod Brown is a popular progressive senator from a swing state. He is sort of like the opposite of Booker, in that he is on the populist wing, but is popular (to some extent) among the establishment. He would be more likely a Veep pick though as he is from a swing state.
-Tulsi Gabbard is a VERY popular congresswoman, a staunch progressive, and a military veteran. Part of the Berniecrat wing of the party. In California she was listed as Bernie's vice president in the Write-in effort to draft Bernie.
-Kirsten Gillibrand is popular among the base and is considered a viable candidate by the party insiders and by the left.
-Al Franken is an option I question the probability of, but a campaign exists to get him to run so he could be talked into it.

If the Democrats want to win they need a populist, or at least someone who can convincingly play the part of a populist and win back the rust belt states and working class voters.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 4:40:35 AM
At 11/16/2016 2:11:44 AM, Romanii wrote:
Okay, so it's pretty much guaranteed that Drumpf will be the GOP nominee, since the incumbent generally does secure the nomination of his or her party.

That's assuming that the Democrats learn absolutely *nothing* from this debacle. If they do run that message, their nominee is gonna lose bigly no matter who it is (unless Drumpf is an epic fail during his first term, which is unlikely). Americans are tired of SJWism, and the failure of Hillary's campaign is hard evidence of that. I don't think the Democrats will be as stupid as you say. I predict that they'll be wisen up over the next 4 years and reject SJWism as the toxic trash it is, shifting to a more Bernie-esque populist message and running a charismatic, morally upstanding figure like Corey Booker. Someone like that might actually stand a chance against Drumpf in 2020.

HA! If you think Hillary is a radical leftist then you are so far-right you are off the spectrum!
Hillary is a centrist!
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 4:42:06 AM
At 11/16/2016 4:09:12 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

At this point, I would say the future of politics is heavily unpredictable, and so is Drumpf's presidency in general. Any predictions of the 2020 presidential race is just speculation at this point.

Drumpf's victory is definitely going to change politics in the United States, and has shook the left and right wings to shift on many different views and political strategies.

All I would say is that both parties might become more populist, with more of an anti-establishment and anti-elitist appeal to them. (i.e. Drumpf criticizing the establishment or Sanders constantly complaining about Wall Street). The party establishment of both parties are probably heavily confused and threatened about what's going to happen.

If the democrats want to win, they will need to do that. I personally will no longer be aligning myself with the Democrats. That may change, depending on whether or not I decide to run for state rep in 2018.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 4:48:48 AM
At 11/16/2016 4:42:06 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

At this point, I would say the future of politics is heavily unpredictable, and so is Drumpf's presidency in general. Any predictions of the 2020 presidential race is just speculation at this point.

Drumpf's victory is definitely going to change politics in the United States, and has shook the left and right wings to shift on many different views and political strategies.

All I would say is that both parties might become more populist, with more of an anti-establishment and anti-elitist appeal to them. (i.e. Drumpf criticizing the establishment or Sanders constantly complaining about Wall Street). The party establishment of both parties are probably heavily confused and threatened about what's going to happen.

If the democrats want to win, they will need to do that. I personally will no longer be aligning myself with the Democrats. That may change, depending on whether or not I decide to run for state rep in 2018.

Why? The Greens are not going to get any votes. It's honestly better that "left wing populists" such as Bernie Sanders' supporters join the Democrats and form a faction within the party. Nobody knows about 3rd parties, and they will probably not get more than one or two seats in congress.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 4:58:18 AM
At 11/16/2016 4:48:48 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 11/16/2016 4:42:06 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Why? The Greens are not going to get any votes. It's honestly better that "left wing populists" such as Bernie Sanders' supporters join the Democrats and form a faction within the party. Nobody knows about 3rd parties, and they will probably not get more than one or two seats in congress.

What the 2016 campaign taught me is that the Democratic primaries is where progressive politics go to die. You cannot run a revolutionary campaign inside a counter-revolutionary party. The Progressive faction of the Democratic party is constantly suppressed by the Neoliberal leadership of the party. I don't expect a major break out from the progressive wing anytime soon, even if Keith Ellison is elected chairman.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 8:06:13 PM
Back in 1975 David Carradine made a science fiction movie named "Death Race 2000".
Aside from it being about an automobile rally it is not completely unlike the 2016 presidential race.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 8:09:55 PM
Of course it was a bit different. Instead of progressive politics going to someplace to die, death would come to random people wherever they were.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 3:55:41 AM
Given the fact that they both massively increased their vote share and ballot access, I think we should also take a look at the Green Party and Libertarian Party Prospective candidates (plus one announced candidate), and take a look at the pros and cons of each candidate.

Libertarian Party
Announced
-Adam Kokesh: Activist, Talk Show Host and Iraq War Veteran
Potential Candidates
-Austin Petersen: Activist, Commentator, Writer, 2016 Libertarian Primary Candidate (Came in 2nd).
-Jesse Ventura: Former Governor of Minnesotta

Green Party
Potential
-David Cobb: Lawyer, Activist, Co-Founder of Move to Amend, 2004 Green Party Presidential Candidate
-Kevin Zeese: Lawyer, Activist, Drug Policy reform advocate, former Executive Director of NORML
-Margaret Flowers: Pediatrician, Activist, 2016 Candidate for US Senator from Maryland
-Chris Hedges: Journalist, Author, Activist, Presbyterian Minister
-Ajamu Baraka: Human Rights Activist, 2016 Green Vice Presidential Nominee
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 4:48:18 AM
At 11/16/2016 3:59:23 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It isn't so much that the Democratic party establishment is gonna field a radical. Rather, a radical will run, the base will demand that this person get the nomination, and the party will be forced to agree.

I dispute this, at least for now. Bernie Sanders didn't get the nomination because he was backed by millennials while the base (which is a far larger pool of voters) supported a more conventionally democratic candidate. In four short years, there still won't be enough support for the millennial view. The base will still consist, of a majority, people who support a more traditional Democrat. Also, electing a SJW-like (far leftist) president would be something new, just like Trump's election was supposed to be. I'm doubtful people of the base will be as free to support anti-establishment. I think the DNC has a much better chance of producing a candidate that will win, but I am not convinced SJWism will win just yet. If the younger generation continues like it has, there's a good possibility in the next 3 or so cycles following 2020 of the DNC pushing a SJW-like candidate because the demographics of the base will have changed.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 4:52:14 AM
At 11/17/2016 3:55:41 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:
Given the fact that they both massively increased their vote share and ballot access, I think we should also take a look at the Green Party and Libertarian Party Prospective candidates (plus one announced candidate), and take a look at the pros and cons of each candidate.

Right of the bat, there is a caveat to your claim. Each major party candidate this year were the single most disliked candidates for each of their parties, respectively. I don't see it as any substantial progress for third party validity, but moreso a reflection of the candidates this cycle.

Libertarian Party
Announced

??
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 4:57:49 AM
At this point, I would say the future of politics is heavily unpredictable, and so is Trump's presidency in general. Any predictions of the 2020 presidential race is just speculation at this point.

More than anything else I've said in this thread, I agree with this. Trump's victory has shattered all predispositions of political forecasting.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 7:03:18 PM
At 11/17/2016 4:52:14 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Right of the bat, there is a caveat to your claim. Each major party candidate this year were the single most disliked candidates for each of their parties, respectively. I don't see it as any substantial progress for third party validity, but moreso a reflection of the candidates this cycle.

Seeing as they both increased their ballot access and their memberships and got more down ballot candidates elected, I think its fair to take a look at both of them

Libertarian Party
Announced

??
A loony former marine who wants to abolish the Federal Government
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 9:42:07 PM
At 11/17/2016 7:03:18 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Seeing as they both increased their ballot access and their memberships and got more down ballot candidates elected, I think its fair to take a look at both of them

It's fine to look at them, I'm only saying they aren't really of any more significance after this election.

Libertarian Party
Announced

??

Lol. I'm questioning the fact that he's a vet, but is a libertarian.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 3:36:51 AM
At 11/17/2016 9:42:07 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

It's fine to look at them, I'm only saying they aren't really of any more significance after this election.

Well, many analysts are saying the two party system may have been irreparably damaged and seeing as the Libertarian Party and the Greens increased their vote share in down ticket races and elected officials at the local level and increased their ballot access across the nation. And given the ballot initiative that passed in Maine, it's expected that Greens and Libertarians will soon be entering the state house in Maine and become a permanent fixture in the state.

Libertarian Party
Announced

??

After his service, he got involved in Iraq veterans against the war, so it probably has something to do with that.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 4:56:42 AM

Libertarian Party
Announced

??

>assuming libertarians want to abolish the federal government
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 4:58:22 AM

Libertarian Party
Announced

??

Assuming libertarians can't respect or be in the military...

Anti-libertarian strawmans are hilarious.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 5:04:04 AM
There won't be an election, there will be a coronation.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 2:42:32 PM
At 11/18/2016 3:36:51 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Well, many analysts are saying the two party system may have been irreparably damaged and seeing as the Libertarian Party and the Greens increased their vote share in down ticket races and elected officials at the local level and increased their ballot access across the nation. And given the ballot initiative that passed in Maine, it's expected that Greens and Libertarians will soon be entering the state house in Maine and become a permanent fixture in the state.

This doesn't nullify my point. No substantial progress, insofar as I can see, was made by either of the parties in their own merit.

Libertarian Party
Announced

??

After his service, he got involved in Iraq veterans against the war, so it probably has something to do with that.

Okay.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 2:51:56 PM
At 11/18/2016 4:58:22 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Libertarian Party
Announced

??

Assuming libertarians can't respect or be in the military...

I'm not saying they can't. It's just the traditional view of libertarians is opposed to excessive military action (Iraq War was excessive). That's like saying something about conservatives supporting the death penalty. I'm a conservative, but I don't.

Anti-libertarian strawmans are hilarious.

Lol. I'm not strawmanning. Just find it interesting he opposes the traditional view. I'm not saying it's wrong.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:17:37 PM
At 11/18/2016 4:56:42 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Libertarian Party
Announced

??

>assuming libertarians want to abolish the federal government

Adam Kokesh wants to implement an "orderly dissolution of the federal government."