Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Would it be possible to erase a law?

Quadrunner
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:43:58 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

Unless you can delete it from every secure government computer, obtain the official copies from the GPO, the office of every congressman and senators and the president, then probably not.
You're better off to lobby your congressman for the repeal, protest against the law, take direct action against the law and promote candidates that oppose the law.
Quadrunner
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:52:57 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 8:43:58 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

Unless you can delete it from every secure government computer, obtain the official copies from the GPO, the office of every congressman and senators and the president, then probably not.
You're better off to lobby your congressman for the repeal, protest against the law, take direct action against the law and promote candidates that oppose the law.

The pen may be mightier then the sword, but its no match for my lighter.

I feel as though to remove the validity of a law one would only need to eliminate the signed copies by the executive branch. Without that, what proof is there of the law's passing through due process. I wonder how that works.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:55:02 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 8:52:57 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:43:58 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

Unless you can delete it from every secure government computer, obtain the official copies from the GPO, the office of every congressman and senators and the president, then probably not.
You're better off to lobby your congressman for the repeal, protest against the law, take direct action against the law and promote candidates that oppose the law.

The pen may be mightier then the sword, but its no match for my lighter.

I feel as though to remove the validity of a law one would only need to eliminate the signed copies by the executive branch. Without that, what proof is there of the law's passing through due process. I wonder how that works.

Video evidence, congressional records, presidential records, etc.
Greyparrot
Posts: 17,193
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:57:42 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 8:52:57 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:43:58 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

Unless you can delete it from every secure government computer, obtain the official copies from the GPO, the office of every congressman and senators and the president, then probably not.
You're better off to lobby your congressman for the repeal, protest against the law, take direct action against the law and promote candidates that oppose the law.

The pen may be mightier then the sword, but its no match for my lighter.

I feel as though to remove the validity of a law one would only need to eliminate the signed copies by the executive branch. Without that, what proof is there of the law's passing through due process. I wonder how that works.

Or ...you could just elect another Obama type that chooses to refuse to enforce laws you don't like.
I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations.
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection,
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:05:46 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

An unjust law is no law at all.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
Quadrunner
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:06:59 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 8:57:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:52:57 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:43:58 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

Unless you can delete it from every secure government computer, obtain the official copies from the GPO, the office of every congressman and senators and the president, then probably not.
You're better off to lobby your congressman for the repeal, protest against the law, take direct action against the law and promote candidates that oppose the law.

The pen may be mightier then the sword, but its no match for my lighter.

I feel as though to remove the validity of a law one would only need to eliminate the signed copies by the executive branch. Without that, what proof is there of the law's passing through due process. I wonder how that works.

Or ...you could just elect another Obama type that chooses to refuse to enforce laws you don't like.

That doesn't seem very sportsman like.
kevin24018
Posts: 3,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:24:59 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

probably not, I would think it would be in the library of Congress, not to mention if the law was used in a case and perhaps set a precedence.
BobTheRocket2 wrote:
Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what, it's going to knock over the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

"Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual.
- Drizzt Do'Urden"
Subutai
Posts: 4,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:27:49 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

This is an unfeasible idea. For one thing, you'd have to delete or destroy all government records mentioning it, delete or take down every website mentioning it, and stop the circulation of all newspapers currently talking about it and destroy all copies of those in the past mentioning it. But even if you somehow complete this Herculean task, you'd still have the problem of people having the law in their memories, and unless you're suggesting the massacre of everyone who knows about it (which I hope you aren't), this problem could never be surmounted.

But it's also a dumb idea. If the law is simply inefficient or has unintended consequences, there'd be no reason to delete any mention of it. If the law is egregious, then it'd best stay on the historical record to warn future politicians against enacting it in the future. "Deleting" it would set the government up for failure again.
Don't let this site's demise affect you:

- Make an account on eDeb8
- Message Mikal to transfer your stats to eDeb8 (if you want them transferred)
- Contact any friends on here you'd like to stay in contact with
- Download any debates you'd like archived (go here: http://webpagetopdf.com...)
- Download as many mafia games as you can to preserve stats and history
Quadrunner
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:33:10 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 9:24:59 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

probably not, I would think it would be in the library of Congress, not to mention if the law was used in a case and perhaps set a precedence.

That's a good point. You'd probably have to nab it while its hot off the presses.
Quadrunner
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:45:13 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 9:27:49 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

This is an unfeasible idea. For one thing, you'd have to delete or destroy all government records mentioning it, delete or take down every website mentioning it, and stop the circulation of all newspapers currently talking about it and destroy all copies of those in the past mentioning it. But even if you somehow complete this Herculean task, you'd still have the problem of people having the law in their memories, and unless you're suggesting the massacre of everyone who knows about it (which I hope you aren't), this problem could never be surmounted.

But it's also a dumb idea. If the law is simply inefficient or has unintended consequences, there'd be no reason to delete any mention of it. If the law is egregious, then it'd best stay on the historical record to warn future politicians against enacting it in the future. "Deleting" it would set the government up for failure again.

If the government can't prove it passed the law then what justification would any witnesses have in enforcing it?
Subutai
Posts: 4,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:49:20 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 9:45:13 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/18/2016 9:27:49 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

This is an unfeasible idea. For one thing, you'd have to delete or destroy all government records mentioning it, delete or take down every website mentioning it, and stop the circulation of all newspapers currently talking about it and destroy all copies of those in the past mentioning it. But even if you somehow complete this Herculean task, you'd still have the problem of people having the law in their memories, and unless you're suggesting the massacre of everyone who knows about it (which I hope you aren't), this problem could never be surmounted.

But it's also a dumb idea. If the law is simply inefficient or has unintended consequences, there'd be no reason to delete any mention of it. If the law is egregious, then it'd best stay on the historical record to warn future politicians against enacting it in the future. "Deleting" it would set the government up for failure again.

If the government can't prove it passed the law then what justification would any witnesses have in enforcing it?

What are you talking about? I wasn't talking about enforcement at all.
Don't let this site's demise affect you:

- Make an account on eDeb8
- Message Mikal to transfer your stats to eDeb8 (if you want them transferred)
- Contact any friends on here you'd like to stay in contact with
- Download any debates you'd like archived (go here: http://webpagetopdf.com...)
- Download as many mafia games as you can to preserve stats and history
kevin24018
Posts: 3,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:52:13 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 9:33:10 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/18/2016 9:24:59 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

probably not, I would think it would be in the library of Congress, not to mention if the law was used in a case and perhaps set a precedence.

That's a good point. You'd probably have to nab it while its hot off the presses.

it's interesting to see what laws are "still on the books" that no longer apply, there was one about not tying up your horse in front of a store on Sundays or something like that, and they can't manage to get rid of those, or other laws that are duplicates.
BobTheRocket2 wrote:
Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what, it's going to knock over the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

"Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual.
- Drizzt Do'Urden"
Quadrunner
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:56:16 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 11/18/2016 9:49:20 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 11/18/2016 9:45:13 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/18/2016 9:27:49 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 11/18/2016 8:34:33 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I've been toying with this idea. If I didn't like a law, I assume there are official physical and digital copies off it. Would it theoretically be possible to erase all of the officially significant copies, thus practically erasing the law from existence?

This is an unfeasible idea. For one thing, you'd have to delete or destroy all government records mentioning it, delete or take down every website mentioning it, and stop the circulation of all newspapers currently talking about it and destroy all copies of those in the past mentioning it. But even if you somehow complete this Herculean task, you'd still have the problem of people having the law in their memories, and unless you're suggesting the massacre of everyone who knows about it (which I hope you aren't), this problem could never be surmounted.

But it's also a dumb idea. If the law is simply inefficient or has unintended consequences, there'd be no reason to delete any mention of it. If the law is egregious, then it'd best stay on the historical record to warn future politicians against enacting it in the future. "Deleting" it would set the government up for failure again.

If the government can't prove it passed the law then what justification would any witnesses have in enforcing it?

What are you talking about? I wasn't talking about enforcement at all.

I mean you don't need to eliminate every copy if you can eliminate proof of the government passing the law according to law. If they had no proof of the law being passed properly, then they have no justification for enforcing the law, and thus effectively no law. Cut the head off the snake.
mc9
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 11:22:10 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I feel like most people on this thread are going onto the NSA watchlist
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong
Quadrunner
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 4:45:16 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 11/18/2016 11:22:10 PM, mc9 wrote:
I feel like most people on this thread are going onto the NSA watchlist

Welcome to the club. The NSA is very discomforting to me.

I don't think the gov has a reason to fear us though...And if it did, well, it would probably have a lot bigger problems from other people then I would think of stirring up. I'm a pretty benign character, and a fairly adamant supporter so it would have to be pretty bad at that point, and they say Canada is getting warmer every year.
mc9
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 4:55:40 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 11/20/2016 4:45:16 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/18/2016 11:22:10 PM, mc9 wrote:
I feel like most people on this thread are going onto the NSA watchlist

Welcome to the club. The NSA is very discomforting to me.

I don't think the gov has a reason to fear us though...And if it did, well, it would probably have a lot bigger problems from other people then I would think of stirring up. I'm a pretty benign character, and a fairly adamant supporter so it would have to be pretty bad at that point, and they say Canada is getting warmer every year.

I know I was saying it as a joke
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong
Quadrunner
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:21:54 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 11/20/2016 4:55:40 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 4:45:16 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/18/2016 11:22:10 PM, mc9 wrote:
I feel like most people on this thread are going onto the NSA watchlist

Welcome to the club. The NSA is very discomforting to me.

I don't think the gov has a reason to fear us though...And if it did, well, it would probably have a lot bigger problems from other people then I would think of stirring up. I'm a pretty benign character, and a fairly adamant supporter so it would have to be pretty bad at that point, and they say Canada is getting warmer every year.

I know I was saying it as a joke

I took it as a fair probability. You can joke about it, but I can't help but feel weird that something devoid of human feelings might be watching me. You don't have to try very hard to get on an NSA watch list. They are having trouble with survey's right now because an inevitable portion of people aren't willing to release truthful information these days with the government's active approach to surveying threats these days and concerns over them using information for profiling, for what we don't necessarily know.

It creates a question of how much control we really have over the government when we allow it to survey us without knowing what its looking for. Drones are an increasing concern as well. No one really knows what the heck is going on there as far as the government goes.

Interestingly, there are reports of people shooting down personal drones in America hovering over their property at low altitude. I guess under 83 feet is legally your property. If its still legal where you live, and you are smart enough to do it safely feel free to do so. Sounds kind of fun to me, and you might even make the news and become an 'important' roll in establishing law for this rather unregulated quirk of life technology has gifted us.

I'd suggest using a pellet gun though. No one else has to know and it sounds more challenging, not to mention you avoid taking a chance of breaking any firearm laws where you live. Perhaps you could aid pesky peeping tom by giving it a better perspective of your life...These are rare joys of having a yard and a great way to exercise your right to not give a sh!t about the neighbors....something that may or may not continue to last in this great legalizing nation of ours.

Senile Lives Matter
http://www.popularmechanics.com...
mc9
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:34:17 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 11/20/2016 8:21:54 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/20/2016 4:55:40 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 4:45:16 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/18/2016 11:22:10 PM, mc9 wrote:
I feel like most people on this thread are going onto the NSA watchlist

Welcome to the club. The NSA is very discomforting to me.

I don't think the gov has a reason to fear us though...And if it did, well, it would probably have a lot bigger problems from other people then I would think of stirring up. I'm a pretty benign character, and a fairly adamant supporter so it would have to be pretty bad at that point, and they say Canada is getting warmer every year.

I know I was saying it as a joke

I took it as a fair probability. You can joke about it, but I can't help but feel weird that something devoid of human feelings might be watching me. You don't have to try very hard to get on an NSA watch list. They are having trouble with survey's right now because an inevitable portion of people aren't willing to release truthful information these days with the government's active approach to surveying threats these days and concerns over them using information for profiling, for what we don't necessarily know.

It creates a question of how much control we really have over the government when we allow it to survey us without knowing what its looking for. Drones are an increasing concern as well. No one really knows what the heck is going on there as far as the government goes.

Interestingly, there are reports of people shooting down personal drones in America hovering over their property at low altitude. I guess under 83 feet is legally your property. If its still legal where you live, and you are smart enough to do it safely feel free to do so. Sounds kind of fun to me, and you might even make the news and become an 'important' roll in establishing law for this rather unregulated quirk of life technology has gifted us.

I'd suggest using a pellet gun though. No one else has to know and it sounds more challenging, not to mention you avoid taking a chance of breaking any firearm laws where you live. Perhaps you could aid pesky peeping tom by giving it a better perspective of your life...These are rare joys of having a yard and a great way to exercise your right to not give a sh!t about the neighbors....something that may or may not continue to last in this great legalizing nation of ours.


Senile Lives Matter
http://www.popularmechanics.com...

Ya it is very creepy how much they watch you, I might move out of America someday
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong