Jump to topic:

National Concealed Carry Reciprocity

jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:30:15 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Just curious about all you gun hating liberals out there - are any of you forecasting doom and death once this becomes law, or is everyone mostly resigned to it and done acting indignant over something so simple???
TJ1981
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 10:36:45 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/18/2016 9:30:15 PM, jnedwards11 wrote:
Just curious about all you gun hating liberals out there - are any of you forecasting doom and death once this becomes law, or is everyone mostly resigned to it and done acting indignant over something so simple???

This is why Trump got my vote. National carry must happen, it's a right not a privilidge.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 4:23:34 PM

Gonna run into state rights issues. Good luck. The other thing to realize is that some states don't require a license or training to conceal carry a pistol. Are you down with that?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 5:08:06 PM
At 11/19/2016 4:23:34 PM, slo1 wrote:

Gonna run into state rights issues. Good luck. The other thing to realize is that some states don't require a license or training to conceal carry a pistol. Are you down with that?

Criminals already conceal and carry...law abiding citizens should be on equal footing.
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 9:58:46 PM
At 11/19/2016 10:36:45 AM, TJ1981 wrote:

This is why Trump got my vote. National carry must happen, it's a right not a privilidge.

Certainly one of the main reasons he got my vote!
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 10:03:12 PM

Gonna run into state rights issues. Good luck.
Like drivers licenses? I doubt it - law passed and done. What do I need to be lucky about?

The other thing to realize is that some states don't require a license or training to conceal carry a pistol. Are you down with that?

Well I could care less how lax a states conceal carry policies are - but just so you know, the bill as currently written requires an actual state issued permit. So being from a state that does not require a permit does not - ipso facto - give you the right to carry anywhere.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 7:36:47 PM
At 11/19/2016 10:03:12 PM, jnedwards11 wrote:

Like drivers licenses? I doubt it - law passed and done. What do I need to be lucky about?

The other thing to realize is that some states don't require a license or training to conceal carry a pistol. Are you down with that?

Well I could care less how lax a states conceal carry policies are - but just so you know, the bill as currently written requires an actual state issued permit. So being from a state that does not require a permit does not - ipso facto - give you the right to carry anywhere.

Then it is not a national carry policy. Why would you want to force the states with the least amount of regulation to regulate guns even more?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 7:38:42 PM
At 11/19/2016 5:08:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Criminals already conceal and carry...law abiding citizens should be on equal footing.

To my knowledge he is not proposing a permit-less hand gun policy.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 7:40:03 PM
The interesting thing is that Conservatives were citing "state rights" when the gay marriage legalization come forth. Now the liberals are citing the "state rights" argument.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:54:25 PM

In Alaska you can drive as early as 14 with a permit yet its recognized in Florida which allows to drive at 15. Plus states cannot deprive people of natural rights.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:57:40 PM
At 11/20/2016 8:54:25 PM, Maccabee wrote:

In Alaska you can drive as early as 14 with a permit yet its recognized in Florida which allows to drive at 15. Plus states cannot deprive people of natural rights.

I thought we were speaking of conceal to carry not driving licenses.
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 10:27:11 PM
At 11/20/2016 7:36:47 PM, slo1 wrote:

Then it is not a national carry policy. Why would you want to force the states with the least amount of regulation to regulate guns even more?

Brah - You might want to read about it a bit before you go making invalid assertions. Seems like most of your opposition is due to misunderstanding.

It is a national policy. And all of the states that do not require permits still have permitting processes for the purposes of state reciprocity agreements already in place. I'm not forcing states to regulate anything additional.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 10:42:20 PM
At 11/20/2016 10:27:11 PM, jnedwards11 wrote:

Brah - You might want to read about it a bit before you go making invalid assertions. Seems like most of your opposition is due to misunderstanding.

It is a national policy. And all of the states that do not require permits still have permitting processes for the purposes of state reciprocity agreements already in place. I'm not forcing states to regulate anything additional.

I believe the confusion comes from what your wrote below.

"the bill as currently written requires an actual state issued permit."

How are the states treated that do not require a permit to carry concealed?
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:19:41 PM
At 11/20/2016 10:42:20 PM, slo1 wrote:

Then do some research of your own....right?

That was answered above. Those states have permitting processes for existing reciprocity agreements with other states.

Example: Jeff is from Alaska where CC permits aren't needed to carry concealed. However Jeff regularly works in SD where CC permits are required. Since SD and Alaska have existing reciprocity agreements (I could have the specific state agreements wrong - for celerity's sake I didn't double check) Alaska has a process in place by which Jeff can acquire an Alaskan permit. And if they don't - then Jeff simply can't enjoy the bennifits of National reciprocity like all the states that do. And anyone that comes to Alaska will not need a permit regardless because they don't require them.

Understand now?
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 12:06:49 AM
At 11/20/2016 7:40:03 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
The interesting thing is that Conservatives were citing "state rights" when the gay marriage legalization come forth. Now the liberals are citing the "state rights" argument.

To be fair - The states did not specifically delegate the power to protect gay marriage rights to the Federal Government. The same cannot be said for gun rights....
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 12:30:59 AM
At 11/20/2016 11:19:41 PM, jnedwards11 wrote:

That was answered above. Those states have permitting processes for existing reciprocity agreements with other states.

Example: Jeff is from Alaska where CC permits aren't needed to carry concealed. However Jeff regularly works in SD where CC permits are required. Since SD and Alaska have existing reciprocity agreements (I could have the specific state agreements wrong - for celerity's sake I didn't double check) Alaska has a process in place by which Jeff can acquire an Alaskan permit. And if they don't - then Jeff simply can't enjoy the bennifits of National reciprocity like all the states that do. And anyone that comes to Alaska will not need a permit regardless because they don't require them.

Understand now?

No I don't. If Jeff is from Alaska which does not need a permit to conceal carry why would he need a permit? Secondly if you meant that Jeff can't conceal carry in ND, then how exactly is that a national policy?
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 2:17:47 AM
At 11/21/2016 12:30:59 AM, slo1 wrote:

Understand now?

No I don't. If Jeff is from Alaska which does not need a permit to conceal carry why would he need a permit? Secondly if you meant that Jeff can't conceal carry in ND, then how exactly is that a national policy?

Because Jeff goes to ND regularly and wants to CC there too. Alaska acknowledges this need is not isolated to only Jeff - and thus they have a process to provide Alaskan CC permits to give to other states with which Alaska already has reciprocity. How do you not get that??

And even if that weren't the case and Jeff couldn't get an Alaskan permit for reciprocal purposes, it would not somehow exclude the national nature of this reciprocity agreement. It's very clearly a national policy because every state would be required to nationally recognize the permits (not necessarily the practices) that every other state issued.

If you are trying to argue semantics then take it up with the people who titled the bill. If liberal bastions like NY, DC & MD are forced to accept my valid VA CC permit - then its all the national I need! :)
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 2:04:31 PM
At 11/21/2016 2:17:47 AM, jnedwards11 wrote:

Understand now?

Because Jeff goes to ND regularly and wants to CC there too. Alaska acknowledges this need is not isolated to only Jeff - and thus they have a process to provide Alaskan CC permits to give to other states with which Alaska already has reciprocity. How do you not get that??

And even if that weren't the case and Jeff couldn't get an Alaskan permit for reciprocal purposes, it would not somehow exclude the national nature of this reciprocity agreement. It's very clearly a national policy because every state would be required to nationally recognize the permits (not necessarily the practices) that every other state issued.

If you are trying to argue semantics then take it up with the people who titled the bill. If liberal bastions like NY, DC & MD are forced to accept my valid VA CC permit - then its all the national I need! :)

the sticking point will be what is required to get a cc permit, here in VA you can do it online, NY you might as well forget about it for as difficult as they make it, regardless whatever hoops each individual state makes you jump through it's pointless from a crime prevention stand. All states use the Federal Nics system so why not reciprocity? Some states require a permit to o.c. but not c.c. Anyway I don't think this would impact many people, some who travel for work or business.
And for the driver's licence argument, a driver's licence isn't a right.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 3:50:08 PM

Understand now?

I'm not arguing anything. I'm trying to clarify your horrible mess of an explanation of what the proposed national policy is.

There are 8 states that don't require permits for CC. Does this proposed legislation allow anyone able to CC in those states to CC in any state if it were enacted. A simple yes or no will suffice.

Just for the record, I have no issues moving to a permit-less CC across all states. I just don't think there is enough support in Congress to strip state rights to dictate which other states they will reciprocate with.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:42:34 PM
At 11/21/2016 3:50:08 PM, slo1 wrote:

Understand now?

I'm not arguing anything. I'm trying to clarify your horrible mess of an explanation of what the proposed national policy is.

There are 8 states that don't require permits for CC. Does this proposed legislation allow anyone able to CC in those states to CC in any state if it were enacted. A simple yes or no will suffice.

Just for the record, I have no issues moving to a permit-less CC across all states. I just don't think there is enough support in Congress to strip state rights to dictate which other states they will reciprocate with.

I'm not sure how this would work other than making a way for a non state resident to go through the same process as a state resident to obtain a permit the same way a state resident would.
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:58:04 PM

Understand now?

It's an actual bill - look it up and read it if my narration is too difficult.

You're getting hung up on the whole "don't require permit" issue. Those 8 states can (and indeed some do) still have a process by which a citizen can obtain a CC permit for existing reciprocity agreements with other states. What is there to not understand about that? There is no required change to any state laws. If they don't want to issue permits then their residents will have to go without or lobby their local representatives.

No one needs to make any state loose any more rights than national reciprocity for DLs did. They can still set all their own carry laws. No one is making or even talking about making anyone go to permitless CC.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 11:11:45 PM
At 11/21/2016 9:58:04 PM, jnedwards11 wrote:

Understand now?

You're getting hung up on the whole "don't require permit" issue. Those 8 states can (and indeed some do) still have a process by which a citizen can obtain a CC permit for existing reciprocity agreements with other states. What is there to not understand about that? There is no required change to any state laws. If they don't want to issue permits then their residents will have to go without or lobby their local representatives.

No one needs to make any state loose any more rights than national reciprocity for DLs did. They can still set all their own carry laws. No one is making or even talking about making anyone go to permitless CC.

You have pretty much run around in circles and my initial comments were accurate. It is Not a national policy. It does Not standardize CC permitting. A person who is eligible to CC in his home state is Not automatically enabled to CC in another state unless they meet all CC requirements of that state.

Maybe could be argued as a step in the right direction by forcing a state to allow out of state residents to get permitted, but it is a baby step as states against it will just do what Maryland did which is add a high barrier to get permitted by making an extensive training class and require continuing education to renew every 2 years.

Worthless piece of legislation if a permitted citizen from Alaska can't simply hop the ferry to Seattle and drive across to FL concealed without committing a felony.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 3:32:29 PM
At 11/22/2016 3:25:16 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Talking abou h.r. 402 right?

there several, not sure how they differ etc or if they even make sense, but we'll see i guess.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 3:38:35 PM
At 11/22/2016 3:32:29 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

there several, not sure how they differ etc or if they even make sense, but we'll see i guess.

Too my knowledge none have passed. I could be wrong but the one I'm referring to originated in Florida.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 4:01:01 PM
At 11/22/2016 3:38:35 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Too my knowledge none have passed. I could be wrong but the one I'm referring to originated in Florida.

I haven't looked all these up
h.r. 923
s. 498
h.r. 986
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 4:04:12 PM
At 11/22/2016 4:01:01 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

h.r. 923
s. 498
h.r. 986

Quick perusal looks like it's the move from house to committee but nothing has happened since 2015.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 4:15:41 PM
At 11/22/2016 4:04:12 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 4:01:01 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

h.r. 923
s. 498
h.r. 986

Quick perusal looks like it's the move from house to committee but nothing has happened since 2015.

right but that may all change now, guess we'll find out
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 2:11:47 PM
At 11/21/2016 11:11:45 PM, slo1 wrote:

Understand now?

You have pretty much run around in circles and my initial comments were accurate. It is Not a national policy. It does Not standardize CC permitting. A person who is eligible to CC in his home state is Not automatically enabled to CC in another state unless they meet all CC requirements of that state.

National reciprocity of DLs didn't standardize how states issued them either. So I guess by your logic DLs are not national either. So again if you want to argue that "national" implies of requirement of standardization (a leap I'm not sure how anyone makes) then have at it. Meanwhile I'll carry my gun in all 50 states instead of 20-30. Thanks for playing the part of the cry baby know nothing liberal that just hates an idea becasuse they are told to! :)

Maybe could be argued as a step in the right direction by forcing a state to allow out of state residents to get permitted, but it is a baby step as states against it will just do what Maryland did which is add a high barrier to get permitted by making an extensive training class and require continuing education to renew every 2 years

Me and millions of CC holders will be able to legally CC in all 50 states with instead of 20-30. Worthless to you - but the holy grail to me. Again though - thanks for your baseless beliefs about it's ineffectiveness :)

Worthless piece of legislation if a permitted citizen from Alaska can't simply hop the ferry to Seattle and drive across to FL concealed without committing a felony.

Says the guy without a cc permit...or obviously any knowledge of how they work.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 3:05:52 PM
At 11/23/2016 2:11:47 PM, jnedwards11 wrote:
At 11/21/2016 11:11:45 PM, slo1 wrote:

Understand now?

National reciprocity of DLs didn't standardize how states issued them either. So I guess by your logic DLs are not national either. So again if you want to argue that "national" implies of requirement of standardization (a leap I'm not sure how anyone makes) then have at it. Meanwhile I'll carry my gun in all 50 states instead of 20-30. Thanks for playing the part of the cry baby know nothing liberal that just hates an idea becasuse they are told to! :)

Maybe could be argued as a step in the right direction by forcing a state to allow out of state residents to get permitted, but it is a baby step as states against it will just do what Maryland did which is add a high barrier to get permitted by making an extensive training class and require continuing education to renew every 2 years

Me and millions of CC holders will be able to legally CC in all 50 states with instead of 20-30. Worthless to you - but the holy grail to me. Again though - thanks for your baseless beliefs about it's ineffectiveness :)

Says the guy without a cc permit...or obviously any knowledge of how they work.

Stop being a d1ckweed. Maybe you didn't read the legislation so I'll give you the ignorant sob benefit of the doubt. Secondly, I already stated I have zero issues with permit-less CC across the US so my position is actually less "liberal" than yours.

Lastly you couldn't summarize yourself out a a wet paper bag. For