Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Democrats: Pelosi, keep her or sink her?

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 3:48:17 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
Nancy Pelosi has been the leader of the Democratic Party in the House of Representatives since 2007, 2 years before Obama ever even stepped into the White House. She has been routinely re-elected as the speaker for Dems in the house with very little dissension (in contrast to how the GOP butted heads with Boehner and now Ryan) until very recently, where there are now grumblings about whether or not the party should change directions

Nancy Pelosi might be more associated with 'the establishment' than Hillary Clinton herself, to the point that there might be people who hold greater distaste for Pelosi than they do for Hillary (might). If Pelosi ran for President in 2020, it doesnt take a political scientist to figure out she wouldnt do very well, since anti-establishment rhetoric is at an all-time high among the electorate, and nobody who still has a career in DC for Dems have a bigger 'establishment' label than Pelosi does.

But notice that phrase I underlined. "Who still has a career in DC"..... All the other high ranking Democrats who are 'establishment' are on their way out the door. Obama's two terms are up, Biden leaves with Obama, Hillary now has no business in DC, and in the Senate, the Dem equivalent of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, retired from the Senate. The only remaining stalwart of Establishment Democrats left in DC is Nancy Pelosi.

If the Dem party wants to rebrand itself and build around the next generation of party leaders for 2020 and beyond, Pelosi is the last person of the old 'establishment' who stands in the way. But on the other hand, if Dems want to stick to the book and chalk up the loss in 2016 as one of just betting it all on an unfavorable candidate (Hillary), then Pelosi is the only person left in DC to build around in terms of someone who has lots of government experience.

I already know that no republican wants to see Pelosi stay in politics, thats why this question is aimed at Democrats. Do you think Pelosi should stay as the Dem leader in the house, as the last stand for people who still value experience among politicians? Or do you think she should step down so that the next wave of leaders for the Dem party can take over, and start building the stage for 2020 right away?

I myself cant really decide. A deep experience in the political field is one of the reasons why I wanted Biden to run much more than Hillary, since Biden spent over 30 years in the Senate compared to Hillary's 6. On the other hand, what worked so well before didnt cut it in 2016, and the Democrat's bench in terms of candidates to field in presidential races is pretty thin, making the House leadership spot an ideal spot for creating a potential candidate. Pelosi sure as sh*t wont run in 2020, and its even more likely that she wont get much support if she did decide to run. Her spot in terms of building a candidate for 2020 or beyond is much better if entrusted to somebody else than to Pelosi.

What are your feelings about the matter?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 7:20:28 PM
Sink. The entire Democratic Party needs a change of face.

Regardless, I think she's retiring in 2 years anyway. So I'm not sure how much it matters yet.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 7:28:29 PM
I mean, they really shouldn't have gone with Schumer as Senate Leader either. I don't think Bernie would have been a good choice either - he's been a Democrat for like a year.

I would have considered Richard Blumenthal, Elizabeth Warren, Sherrod Brown, and Patrick Leahy as preferred choices for that.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 4:37:38 AM
At 11/19/2016 7:20:28 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Sink. The entire Democratic Party needs a change of face.

The Republican Party had a drastic change of face this year and now has the presidency, Senate, and House. Indicator the Democratic Party needs to adapt and change?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 6:59:27 AM
At 11/19/2016 7:28:29 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I mean, they really shouldn't have gone with Schumer as Senate Leader either. I don't think Bernie would have been a good choice either - he's been a Democrat for like a year.

I would have considered Richard Blumenthal, Elizabeth Warren, Sherrod Brown, and Patrick Leahy as preferred choices for that.

Warren seems like the best pick granted how much weight her endorsement in the primaries carried at one point.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 6:32:04 PM
At 11/19/2016 3:48:17 PM, imabench wrote:
Nancy Pelosi has been the leader of the Democratic Party in the House of Representatives since 2007, 2 years before Obama ever even stepped into the White House. She has been routinely re-elected as the speaker for Dems in the house with very little dissension (in contrast to how the GOP butted heads with Boehner and now Ryan) until very recently, where there are now grumblings about whether or not the party should change directions

Nancy Pelosi might be more associated with 'the establishment' than Hillary Clinton herself, to the point that there might be people who hold greater distaste for Pelosi than they do for Hillary (might). If Pelosi ran for President in 2020, it doesnt take a political scientist to figure out she wouldnt do very well, since anti-establishment rhetoric is at an all-time high among the electorate, and nobody who still has a career in DC for Dems have a bigger 'establishment' label than Pelosi does.

But notice that phrase I underlined. "Who still has a career in DC"..... All the other high ranking Democrats who are 'establishment' are on their way out the door. Obama's two terms are up, Biden leaves with Obama, Hillary now has no business in DC, and in the Senate, the Dem equivalent of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, retired from the Senate. The only remaining stalwart of Establishment Democrats left in DC is Nancy Pelosi.

If the Dem party wants to rebrand itself and build around the next generation of party leaders for 2020 and beyond, Pelosi is the last person of the old 'establishment' who stands in the way. But on the other hand, if Dems want to stick to the book and chalk up the loss in 2016 as one of just betting it all on an unfavorable candidate (Hillary), then Pelosi is the only person left in DC to build around in terms of someone who has lots of government experience.

I already know that no republican wants to see Pelosi stay in politics, thats why this question is aimed at Democrats. Do you think Pelosi should stay as the Dem leader in the house, as the last stand for people who still value experience among politicians? Or do you think she should step down so that the next wave of leaders for the Dem party can take over, and start building the stage for 2020 right away?

I myself cant really decide. A deep experience in the political field is one of the reasons why I wanted Biden to run much more than Hillary, since Biden spent over 30 years in the Senate compared to Hillary's 6. On the other hand, what worked so well before didnt cut it in 2016, and the Democrat's bench in terms of candidates to field in presidential races is pretty thin, making the House leadership spot an ideal spot for creating a potential candidate. Pelosi sure as sh*t wont run in 2020, and its even more likely that she wont get much support if she did decide to run. Her spot in terms of building a candidate for 2020 or beyond is much better if entrusted to somebody else than to Pelosi.

What are your feelings about the matter?

If this were the UK, Pelosi would have stepped down the day after the election because of the defeat, to be fair she would have stepped down back in 2010 after their crushing defeat at the hands of the tea party.
Its time for her to go. Someone like Tulsi Gabbard should replace her.