Jump to topic:

Stephen Hawking Says We're Going to Die

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 12:15:34 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Professor Stephen Hawking predicts that the earth may be doomed in 1000 years due to disaster such as a nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or the rising threat of artificial intelligence. He also suggested that humanity as a whole has no future if it does not go to space (https://www.extremetech.com... and http://www.foxnews.com...)

"Hawking noted in the speech that some of the most pressing concerns for the future of humanity could come in the next century, as artificial intelligence is perfected and global climate change continues to affect civilization. When something happens on Earth, we don"t want all of humanity to be here, according to Hawking. The best way to keep the species going is to make sure we"ve got a backup " humans on other planets and maybe even in other star systems."

I think he's being generous with this estimate.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 12:22:09 AM
Stephen Hawking is mostly a pop scientist, pretty much only famous for being a cyborg, and needn't be taken all that seriously.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 12:24:30 AM
I also think the dude is constantly trying to project his dependence on, and oppression by, machines, on us.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 12:27:39 AM
At 11/20/2016 12:15:34 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Professor Stephen Hawking predicts that the earth may be doomed in 1000 years due to disaster such as a nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or the rising threat of artificial intelligence. He also suggested that humanity as a whole has no future if it does not go to space (https://www.extremetech.com... and http://www.foxnews.com...)

"Hawking noted in the speech that some of the most pressing concerns for the future of humanity could come in the next century, as artificial intelligence is perfected and global climate change continues to affect civilization. When something happens on Earth, we don"t want all of humanity to be here, according to Hawking. The best way to keep the species going is to make sure we"ve got a backup " humans on other planets and maybe even in other star systems."

whatever problems we have on earth, we don't need to bring them to space, it doesn't need it.
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 2:18:34 AM
1,000 years? Where did he get his figures? Math or it didn't happen.

Also, I thought climate change was supposed to kill us much sooner.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 2:21:50 AM
I don't know, I just wish people would stop using him as some kind of master of knowledge. Even during Brexit I read one person say: 'but Stephen Hawking said this_'...seriously.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 7:47:54 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 2:18:34 AM, RookieApologist wrote:

Nobody has ever said global warming would cause extinction of humans. Duhhh.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:01:28 PM
At 11/20/2016 12:24:30 AM, Devilry wrote:
I also think the dude is constantly trying to project his dependence on, and oppression by, machines, on us.

I like hawking but that is an intriguing hypothesis. To be fair though he thinks we are going to die of a multitude of causes, he believes aliens would kill us, machines, ourselves, and nature. I personally don't believe in either AI or aliens, but I think we are doing a good job setting up nature to squash us.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:03:02 PM

Estimation.

Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:04:38 PM
At 11/20/2016 2:21:50 AM, Emilrose wrote:
I don't know, I just wish people would stop using him as some kind of master of knowledge. Even during Brexit I read one person say: 'but Stephen Hawking said this_'...seriously.

Hawking has a knack for explaining physics. That's his niche.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:37:12 PM
At 11/20/2016 8:01:28 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 11/20/2016 12:24:30 AM, Devilry wrote:

I like hawking but that is an intriguing hypothesis. To be fair though he thinks we are going to die of a multitude of causes, he believes aliens would kill us, machines, ourselves, and nature. I personally don't believe in either AI or aliens, but I think we are doing a good job setting up nature to squash us.

I like him too in fairness. I disliked him a little bit after reading A Brief History of Time (good enough read though it was) because I found it awfully self-serving - almost masturbatory - but that movie endeared him to me big time. He's still a bit ridiculous though.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:41:20 PM
I also think AI is a long way off. These fckers are still insisting consciousness is an illusion.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:52:46 PM
At 11/20/2016 12:27:39 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

whatever problems we have on earth, we don't need to bring them to space, it doesn't need it.

When Earth sends its people, they're sending people with a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems here.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 9:31:56 PM
At 11/20/2016 2:21:50 AM, Emilrose wrote:

Yeah, that and nothing else.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 10:37:12 PM
At 11/20/2016 8:52:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/20/2016 12:27:39 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

When Earth sends its people, they're sending people with a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems here.

Indeed.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 2:58:34 AM
A colony on another planet?
While you might see that on Star Trek, there is no way that will work in real life.
GrassyPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 3:40:10 AM
At 11/21/2016 2:58:34 AM, xus00HAY wrote:
A colony on another planet?
While you might see that on Star Trek, there is no way that will work in real life.

Unless we build an artificial Death Star. That would be fvcking awesome.
I came here to troll everyone :D
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 6:55:11 AM
Hawking is an authority on physics, not politics. Lord Kelvin who was pretty much the Stephen Hawking of his day got a number of things wrong. He claimed the age of the earth was 20 million years old, didn't believe in X-rays or that radio would go anywhere. He looked silly because he stepped out of his authority.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:26:14 PM
At 11/20/2016 7:47:54 PM, slo1 wrote:

Nobody has ever said global warming would cause extinction of humans. Duhhh.

It was a joke, quite obviously.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:33:33 PM

This type of attitude is unsubstantiated and needlessly depressing. The chance of the entire human race, or even a significant percentage of the human population being exterminated is extremely small. Except for a giant asteroid or some other sort of cosmic event, there aren't many conceivable ways that this could happen that couldn't be stopped by human intervention.

Honestly, while Hawking is a quite good physicist and has done a lot of great work in physics (e.g. Hawking radiation), his authority in physics doesn't carry over to other disciplines, and his status as a "popular science" figure is meaningless. He's made doomsday predictions like this in the past, and they're just as ridiculous. He seems to specialize in making "profound" statements that are actually just elaborate bullsh*t. He needs to stick to physics and stop making fatalistic statements such as that.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.